Page 17 of 250 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262767117 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Thoughts II

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    How many classmates from high school or childhood do you have? They can't all be your best friends.
    No, being classmates from childhood does not automatically make one a best friend.
    Friends yes, good friends and best friends very likely.

Took me 45min. to get into a mall that usually takes me about 10min. Walked out with 2 small items and a huge headache. Perhaps I should wake up earlier next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung View Post
    If you have a friend that is not on the same or higher level of intellect, determination/motivation, and EQ, how can you be a good friend to them or even put up with their eccentricness? Where and how do you look for their good qualities?
    My primary school buddy, from 3rd grade, went to middle school with me. At beginning of middle school, chemistry hit off and I became very close to this very nice and caring classmate of mine but I've never neglected my buddy. The thing is, with this classmate, we took little time to learn about each other while there's always this invisible understanding gap between my buddy and me. Because of that, I grew closer to this classmate than my buddy. I'm always willing to stay behind to helpout with this classmate while my buddy can't wait to rush home (so she left on her own). This classmate isn't the intellect type at all, in fact, rather naive and easy to take advantage of. But the selfless side and always a listener personality of this classmate really won me over. I went to college with this "classmate" but we were put in different classes and we'll alway wait for each other. The line of difference to draw between my buddy and this classmate is -- this classmate is willing to go through thick kind of person (which we have been), and my buddy has alot of resistance to troubles (she rather dodge and she also has alot of "taboo" and judgement on people).

So, moral of the story is, besides the intellect and other qualities of someone you've mentioned, that wins you over, what other personality of a person as a person, do you appreciate? It's really not about the 'where' and 'how'.
    Last edited by remember_Cedric; 12-27-10 at 04:17 AM.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

Quote Originally Posted by remember_Cedric View Post
    So, moral of the story is, besides the intellect and other qualities of someone you've mentioned, that wins you over, what other personality of a person as a person, do you appreciate? It's really not about the 'where' and 'how'.
    Perhaps, for good friends/best friends to continue, there need to be a lot of give and take/understanding/truthful. In high school, I have this table tennis buddy who consistently trained with me. But he has always lost to me. Determined to improve his skills, he joined a youth league during a 2 month holiday. And sure enough, his skills improved and he beat me constantly in games. Soon, he decide not to play with me anymore. His reason was, "To improve, one has to play with better players". We remain best of friends, though my interest in table tennis dropped and I decide to pick up hockey in later years.

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    How many classmates from high school or childhood do you have? They can't all be your best friends.
    No, being classmates from childhood does not automatically make one a best friend.
    I wasn't talking about best friends forever types. Just friends you see sometimes. Not exactly close/intimate friends that you share intimate details of your life. It's more like I haven't seen you in 9 years and we just started hanging out these past few months (occasionally), but I don't remember being friends with you in HS. But I suppose hanging out with the person makes you acquintance type friends? Someone I know but not exactly close friend, with whom I trust and rely on when I need help. Just not that close. It's not important really, just thinking if it's worth being 'friends' with someone below par from you...it's like the proverb where "the closer you are to light, you're bright and the closer you are to ink, you become darkened." I don't want to be around someone who's an underachiever that has Peter Pan syndrome (not ever growing up but always remaining at an adolescent mindset and lifestyle), and being complacent with life. But if someone has a disorder, should you indulge and humor them or push/encourage them to do something about their life? Why do I have t care or be a caring person? I mean not everyone stops to plan ahead or think of their own future. So what if they waste their life away and procrastinate because they don't know how to troubleshoot life's problems? Not your problem, let them learn it the hard way.
    Last edited by Suet Seung; 12-27-10 at 04:26 AM.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Ain't going to see the next page for a while, regrettably.

At least this one helps.

^^I will be perfectly frank in this case. I would not go out of my way to be "friends" but I'd still maintain friendliness. I'd become busy to stay away from them. People are responsible for their own lives. I have felt the same way as you and it did me no good. In the end, I got labeled a snob after I removed myself from a similar "friendship". On the other hand, those others who didn't care AT ALL and just smiled blandly to everything weren't held accountable for their apathy. Perhaps I'm butthurt over that still, personally.

Man, I sound like I'm easily hurt.
    I like me.

Quote Originally Posted by wkeej View Post
    Perhaps, for good friends/best friends to continue, there need to be a lot of give and take/understanding/truthful. In high school, I have this table tennis buddy who consistently trained with me. But he has always lost to me. Determined to improve his skills, he joined a youth league during a 2 month holiday. And sure enough, his skills improved and he beat me constantly in games. Soon, he decide not to play with me anymore. His reason was, "To improve, one has to play with better players". We remain best of friends, though my interest in table tennis dropped and I decide to pick up hockey in later years.
    Thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung View Post
    I wasn't talking about best friends forever types. Just friends you see sometimes. Not exactly close/intimate friends that you share intimate details of your life. It's more like I haven't seen you in 9 years and we just started hanging out these past few months (occasionally), but I don't remember being friends with you in HS. But I suppose hanging out with the person makes you acquintance type friends? Someone I know but not exactly close friend, with whom I trust and rely on when I need help. Just not that close. It's not important really, just thinking if it's worth being 'friends' with someone below par from you...it's like the proverb where "the closer you are to light, you're bright and the closer you are to ink, you become darkened." I don't want to be around someone who's an underachiever that has Peter Pan syndrome (not ever growing up but always remaining at an adolescent mindset and lifestyle), and being complacent with life. But if someone has a disorder, should you indulge and humor them or push/encourage them to do something about their life? Why do I have t care or be a caring person? I mean not everyone stops to plan ahead or think of their own future. So what if they waste their life away and procrastinate because they don't know how to troubleshoot life's problems? Not your problem, let them learn it the hard way.
    This quote has some truth to it. But, why can't you be the influential one (positive influence on him, per se) instead of fear to be (negatively) influenced? Don't get me wrong, I'm not asking you to be a saint to influence him or something, I just don't think it's not possible to be an influence if you're a firm person.

Dealing with people who have disorder in one way or the other, I would naturally be the one who try to pull them out of the shell.

I would think the integrity is the factor that to my choice of making friends.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

yes, definitely, for friendship to last, integrity is important.

i'm thinking grad school in canada or uk.. is that a good idea?
    i don't think my parents will be very happy..1. i'll be far away again and 2. they think edumacation in the u.s is the "best"..
    Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by kay &!* View Post
    i don't think my parents will be very happy..1. i'll be far away again and 2. they think edumacation in the u.s is the "best"..
    Well, the first question is how are you going to pay for it? The tuition and living expense plus four to six years of interest can snowball. So unless you're very heavily endowed or mom & dad is footing the bill, you need to consider repayment when you graduate. I think paying for you education in pounds will be costlier than the dollar.

The second question is the reach of the school you're thinking. How do they place their graduates internationally or nationally if you plan to stay in Canada or UK.

Look at entry level jobs for people with PhD in your field. Most jobs really don't pay that much, and if you have enormous debt - life will be tough after graduation. A PhD is something that could open doors to higher paying jobs in the future, but most PhD just entering the field really don't earn the big bucks.

But if this is something you really want - just do it. Life is short. At least it will be fun, but just be aware of the reality of the situation. Some of my friends have a very beautiful view of life after grad school, and are crying bloody murder now when they finished school and reality sets in.

I would do it. I don't know about Canada, but I'm pretty sure that graduate school in the UK, converted into dollars is still cheaper than the amount that one would pay now for out of state tuition for graduate level studies. In some states anyway. There has been some recent press about this in the news due to student protests over tuition raises in the UK, please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm not sure if education in the U.S. is best per se...at least for the value, but there might be some truth to the perceived value of an American degree. But I'm not an expert.

Suzaku is right though...graduate school, in and of itself, is a serious decision. I don't think that international students can get federal loans, at least not in America. Lastly, what is your field? Poli Sci/Business, right? I've got a couple of friends who are graduating with an MA or PhD and most of them are working abroad, but that's largely because of our field. Where you go to graduate school will also largely determine who's in your "circle".
    I like me.

I am for it. It is always good to further one's study especially you are interested. As the others advised, can you afford it?

Yah, I will be the one paying for grad school.. loans here I come! :/
    Repayment is starting to scare me.. especially since I'm only months away from graduating for my Bachelor's *CRYYY!!**

ByTime- Yeah, my parents think the value of the american degree is the best in the world. Remember how I studied abroad in australia? before my departure, they def. gave me a lot of shit for it.. granted they still let me go, they weren't too happy because they said "everyone in the world wants to come to america for college but you? you have the opportunity yet you want to go elsewhere for something other people would never in a million years be able to do!".... i tell them to calm down, that i was only doing abroad and my degree is still an american bachelor's after i graduate but they still don't get it.. up until this date. they don't understand the significance of going abroad and the benefits of it -___- so imagine me telling them i want to go for my MASTER'S elsewhere!!!! and yes, bachelor's in poli sci now but planning on going to grad school for public relations/communications hahaah. i wish i declared a major in pr for my undergrad but too late -____- i should've known!!!!! pr is my minor now and it suits me SO much more, something i can definitely see myself succeeding in

i think i just really miss being abroad.. i was thinking of interning for a year after grad in australia ha ha ha. but i recently applied to this awesome internship.. if i get it, that means i'm going to stay in boston for another year and then go to grad school... i'm narrowing it down to either boston(only if it's a really reallly REALLY good school), nyc, california, vancouver, or london... if what you're saying is true about uk's tuition.. i might REALLY consider it!!! but then, living expense over there is going to KILL me.. i'm going to become a starving child. too bad grad school doesn't offer study abroad??? do they? -__-
    Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

I think that if you're studying abroad, you can also work alongside to live comfortably. It's going to be hard though haha but nothing good worth getting is easy to obtain, right? My parents were not very happy when I went to a third world country to learn the language either. I have not seen any programs in my field that offer study abroad HOWEVER you can get funding to do research abroad. I don't know how applicable that is in public relations though. I must confess to being quite ignorant in your field lol.

Hey isn't Pemberly doing her MBA in France? Perhaps you can ask her how she's doing. I'm thinking of basing my PhD around 3rd world education curriculum development too, but that's a long way in coming lol.
    I like me.

Losing stuff is not the greatest feeling, but lately, I've been finding stuff that I thought I had lost. It feels good to have things found.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

fcucking drama queen, gawd. life ain't highschool and you need to grow up.
    I like me.

Quote Originally Posted by ByTmE View Post
    fcucking drama queen, gawd. life ain't highschool and you need to grow up.
    :O Chill, Buddy, cool down. Never have I seen you this mad, must be someone had entirely pissed you off to the max.

Quote Originally Posted by remember_Cedric View Post
    :O Chill, Buddy, cool down. Never have I seen you this mad, must be someone had entirely pissed you off to the max.
    thanks :: i was mad at my brother...obviously, i've over stayed my welcome in this home. i stay away from moody and temperamental men as a rule...it's just not worth it. too bad for me, i happen to be closely related to one and we're living under the same roof.
    I like me.