Thread: Actor/Actress height.

Default Actor/Actress height.

I'm someone who's obsess about height, I don't know why, maybe it's a guy thing.

And I'm watching TV, ect... I see all these famous people listing heights, and I have to wonder if they all lied?

NBA player lied about their height, and I'm assuming these idols do too.

googling give me this

Average male Hong Kong idol height is 5'10
    Average female Hong Kong idol height is 5'5

Average height of a male from hong kong 5'6 CM 168
    Average height of a female from hong kong 5'2 CM 157

that's a huge difference, and I do not think the difference is that big. I think they're so thin, making them look taller, and they probably add an in or 2 to their real height.

what's the verdict on this?

I think it's best to observe these idols at press conferences and see how they measure up against their colleagues. E.g. at Storm Warriors press conference, Tang Yan looks same height as Ekin Cheng. Tang Yan's official height is 5'7, while Ekin's official height is 5'10.

I thought it could be because she's wearing heels. But I took a look at her fashion show pics with Hu Ge - he towered over her on the runway even though she was wearing heels. And I know on fashion runways, the women always wear minimum 3" heels.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/8682/ekinty.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/1849/hgty.jpg')
    Last edited by xiaolong; 12-01-10 at 09:03 PM.

I also happen to be obsessed with height because I'm not very tall...I think the older generation may have fibbed somewhat on their "official" heights. Tang Yan looks quite tall to me actually. Perhaps, Hu Ge is really tall?
    I like me.

it's hard, because everyone of them probably add 1-2" to their height, I think it's probably better to be taking pictures with fans and measure those guy's compare to fans, fans have less reason to lie about their height.

I once had a chance to take a picture with an semi popular person who's listed height at 5'7, I got a good 2" or 3" on him with flats on while he's on shoes. If I was on shoes I would add 2" more (5cm heels men shoes), and the insoles I slip in can net me another 1" or 2 if I wanted. So for a guy who's slightly over 5'9, with proper dressing (and I'm sure these idol does it too), I can get 3-5" making me over 6" at most, that's pretty crazy if you think about it.
    Last edited by warlock110; 12-02-10 at 01:53 AM.

Tang Yan is listed as almost 5'7, so if she wore around 3 inches, she'd be around 5'10. The way she's standing in the first picture looks like she's wearing heels. I found a video that shows she's actually wearing flats in the picture with Hu Ge.
    It's at around 1:52
    http://www.mycooktube.com/video/dBn0...-Bejing-2.html
    Hu Ge is listed as over 6'0, so that would still be more than Tang Yan with or without heels.

I do think it's possible that Ekin has added an inch, though probably not more than that. From pictures (I just googled him, lol), I'd estimate he's 5'9. Against popular belief, thinness does not actually make one look taller. It's a strange thing, but if you look at high fashion models, you wouldn't guess how many are 6'0 or above.

lol im obsessed with height too! its probably because im really tall, so i'm only attracted to guys i know are tall (ex hu ge, peter ho)

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon Heiress View Post
    Tang Yan is listed as almost 5'7, so if she wore around 3 inches, she'd be around 5'10. The way she's standing in the first picture looks like she's wearing heels. I found a video that shows she's actually wearing flats in the picture with Hu Ge.
    It's at around 1:52
    http://www.mycooktube.com/video/dBn0...-Bejing-2.html
    Hu Ge is listed as over 6'0, so that would still be more than Tang Yan with or without heels.

I do think it's possible that Ekin has added an inch, though probably not more than that. From pictures (I just googled him, lol), I'd estimate he's 5'9. Against popular belief, thinness does not actually make one look taller. It's a strange thing, but if you look at high fashion models, you wouldn't guess how many are 6'0 or above.
    it's tough, they angle the camera from the bottom up (or at least lower than the model), making them look bigger, most people on stage are super thin/small, yet look tall because of the angle of the camera. Normally angling the camera bottom up is a very unflatter look, but they cover it with make up (make the chin smaller = balance out).

And thiner does make you look taller, normally I look relatively short (kindda chubby), but if I'm right next to the person, then then can tell that I'm taller (last time I was with a group of friend who claimed this dude is taller, and he believed it, till I stand next to him and I got 2" on him), it just perspective, if you're wider you don't look as tall. Similarly I have a thin friend who looks taller than me, but he's the same height.

^That is true to a certain extent. But there are a few things to note.
    1. People in general look so much shorter/fatter than you'd think on a stage. I would know this from personal experience.
    2. Your point is true as a general fact until you get thin to the point which some people get "bobblehead syndrome", which is easier to come across in asians because asians have usually have bigger heads and smaller bone structure. When someone with a typical oriental asian body loses weight, their shoulders + waist become narrower faster than other parts. The body looks a bit more condensed (I can't think of the right word) and it makes the person look smaller overall. Very thin people also have more of a "straight" body. The straight line thing also makes people look a bit shorter (thaink Huang Xiao Ming onstage).

Thinness does make a person look taller on average people, but celebrities are usually thinner so the case is different. It's kind of hard to explain.

Here's a primary example, usher and bi rain, bi rain is listed as 6'2, usher? 5'8-5'9 (although people also think that he's only 5-6/7). At any rate, he looks like 2-3" shorter than bi rain standing next to each other = bi rain no chance at 6'2. Se7en is taller than Bi rain, and only listed as 6'0 to 6'1. So there's definitely some "blown up" when it comes to celeb. MJ was around 5'9-10, some place have him listed as 6'1, there was at no point in MJ's life that's he's 6'1 lol.

Quote Originally Posted by warlock110 View Post
    Here's a primary example, usher and bi rain, bi rain is listed as 6'2, usher? 5'8-5'9 (although people also think that he's only 5-6/7). At any rate, he looks like 2-3" shorter than bi rain standing next to each other = bi rain no chance at 6'2. Se7en is taller than Bi rain, and only listed as 6'0 to 6'1. So there's definitely some "blown up" when it comes to celeb. MJ was around 5'9-10, some place have him listed as 6'1, there was at no point in MJ's life that's he's 6'1 lol.
    Hmmm...that's pretty crazy. I guess we can only observe when we know the celebs' listed heights and they stand next to each other. But it's very hard to tell, because pictures taken at press conferences and publicity events are very candid - they could be wearing different size shoes, or one could be slouching more than the other, or could even depend on the angle of the camera taking the pictures. Unless they stand very still and on bare feet next to each other, it's very hard to tell.

Actually looking at Rain's super-cool dance moves, I would want to believe he's 6'2.

I've only seen Rain and Se7en in action, not in still pics. When they are dancing, I can't really tell who's taller than who.

I notice Yuan Hong and Edwin Siu are listed as having the same height (180cm), but they don't look the same height in the pic below. Again it could be the way they stand - slouch here, slouch there... Hard to tell, really.
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/336/tyzn7.jpg')
    Last edited by xiaolong; 12-04-10 at 12:59 PM.

Dramawiki actually lists Yuan Hong as 181, but that doesn't really make much of a difference. I think they might have raised Edwin's height by a little bit, he doesn't looks a bit shorter than 180 to me.

Edwin said (casually, so I'm not sure how exact this is) that he's around the same height as Wallace Huo. Wallace Huo is listed 177 and looks just about that. Edwin's probably a bit taller than that, but I'm guessing less than 180.
    Last edited by Dragon Heiress; 12-05-10 at 12:08 AM.

I read that Huang Xiaoming has courted a lot of public controversy about his real height. His official website lists his height as 180cm, but Netizens have pointed out that he's more like 173cm/5'8 to 175cm/5'9 judging from pics of him next to his female co-stars.

HXM versus Ruby Lin (167cm/5'6)
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/3386/hxmlxr2.jpg')

HXM versus LYF (168cm/5'6)
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/4026/hxmlyf.jpg')
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/9749/hxmlyf2.jpg')

HXM versus Vicky Zhao (166cm/5'5)
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/1156/hxmvicky.jpg')

HXM versus Barbie Hsu (163cm/5'4)
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/4151/hxmdas.jpg')

Against taller co-stars, he probably has to wear elevated shoes.

HXM on elevated shoes versus Peter Ho (184cm/6'1)
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/287/hxmx.jpg')

BUT, to be fair, most actresses wear high heels of 2.5 to 3 inches at publicity events. Although the pic with LYF (she doesn't seem to be wearing heels) is very telling about his true height.
    Last edited by xiaolong; 12-21-10 at 07:49 PM.

HXM's closer to 175-177cm. I've seen him in real life before when I was an usher at a Gucci event in Hong Kong. I'm considered tall for an Asian at 1.73m (my dad's Dutch, my mom's Chinese) but encountered him eye-to-eye and I was wearing loafers which maybe increased my height by about 3cm.
    Last edited by munianci; 02-22-11 at 11:21 AM.

http://community.livejournal.com/aiy...nt/237097.html
    Observations from a Netizen:
    In their resumes, stars include their age and height. Star manager Tian Jinshuang explained that "stars are all 'packaged' when they come out." Performers have to have their privacy; they can't reveal all of their private matters to the public. They often "polish" their height and age in order to let the public accept them, thus achieving better business purposes. Inside the industry, this is already an "open" secret. Everyone is already used to female performers faking their height, and male performers will also imitate this. So in real life, when you discover that a star is actually quite short, don't be surprised. However, Tian Jinshuang pointed out that resume fraud is immoral behavior; performers should work to avoid it, in case doing so brings them entertainment crises and rebounds.

Quote Originally Posted by warlock110 View Post
    it's hard, because everyone of them probably add 1-2" to their height, I think it's probably better to be taking pictures with fans and measure those guy's compare to fans, fans have less reason to lie about their height.
    I think it's prevalent among the older generation of stars from HK/Taiwan/Korea who are less than 165cm/5'5 (for women)/ 175cm/5'9 (for men). Those genuinely taller than these heights don't bother fibbing.

Also, I think the new generation (stars born in the 1980s and after) don't fib about their heights because most of them are taller than their older counterparts.
    Last edited by xiaolong; 12-22-10 at 02:13 PM.

There are lots of men's shoes with "inner lift" being sold these days - you can easily get it on eBay. There are usually two options provided, one being 3.2 inch(8cm) and another being 3.54 inch(9cm). Hence, if someone is 170cm tall, he will be 178cm tall after wearing the shoes with the 8cm lift.

HONG KONG

Jackie Chan 175cm young about 172cm now(claim 179cm!!!!!!)
    Andy Lau 170cm max(listed 174cm)
    Tony Leung 168cm max(listed 175cm)
    Chow Yun-Fat 185 young about 180/181cm now(listed 185cm)
    Jet Li 163/164 max (listed 169cm but much shorter than 172cm Jackie Chan)
    Edison Chen 174cm(listed 178 but shorter than real 178cm Shawn Yue)
    Shawn Yue 178cm( listed 178cm)
    Nicholas Tse 172cm max(listed 175/178cm but shorter than 178cm Shawn Yue in dragon tiger gate)
    Daniel Wu 182cm(listed 186cm)
    Anthony Wong 179cm(listed 179cm)
    Louis Koo max 178cm(listed 181cm)
    Charlene Choi 165cm(listed 163cm)
    Gillian Chung 156/157cm max(listed 160cm but much shorter than TWINS Charlene
    Choi)
    Bruce Lee 170/171cm(shorter than young 175cm Jackie Chan)
    Jay Chou 170cm max(listed 173cm)
    Donnie Yen 170cm max(listed 175 but considerably shorter than about 177cm Shawn Yue in DRAGON TIGER GATE)
    Sam Lee 176cm (taller than 173/174cm Edison Chen )

JAPAN(they don't lie much about their height)

Shun Oguri 181cm max (listed 184 cm)
    Takashi Sorimachi 181cm (listed 181cm)
    Abe Hiroshi 189cm(listed 189cm)
    Takuya Kimura 172(listed 176cm but shorter than other SMAP member 176cm Goro Inagaki)
    Ken Watanabe 184cm(listed 184cm)
    Hiroyuki Sanada 168cm max (listed 170cm )
    Yui Aragaki 173cm(listed only 167cm,she is one of the tallest actress in japan but the actress in japan tend to downgrade their height)
    Takeshi Kaneshiro 179cm(listed 179)

SOUTH KOREA

Lee Byung Hun 174cm max(listed 178cm)
    Kwon Sang Woo 180cm(listed 183cm)
    Bi/Rain 184cm(listed 184cm)
    Jang Dong Gun 180cm(listed 180/181cm)
    Won Bin 175cm max(listed 178cm)

Source:http://www.celebheights.com
    Last edited by xiaolong; 12-27-10 at 10:10 PM.