Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Legend of the Condor Heroes(2002)

Default Legend of the Condor Heroes(2003)

this series is airing in HK at the moment, about 17 chapters in

from what I've seen so far, I would support the ratings given by both Ian Liew and Meh, the series looks ultra professional, the cinematography is fabulous and as a result it has a completely different feel to any previous LOCH

the story seeems very detailed in its descriptions and because of the realism, it lacks the fun of loch83 but also becomes a much more serious wuxia series

the casting is a little disappointing in areas but genius in others - in particular, I have the same problem with Yang Kang(Zhou Jie) as Meh, I just don't think he's good-looking enough, and doesn't possess the charm of Mui Kui Wai -

Zhou Jie's looks are all the more under scrutiny because in this series we have the most beautiful Mu Nian Ci ever - Shui Ling is great in conveying the devotion and pain she suffers in loving Yang Kang, also unlike previous Mu Nian Cis', you can see why Yang Kang would even consider throwing away everything to be with Nian Ci - I personally think Shui is the perfect actress to be cast in this role

Li ya Ping as Guo Jing is likeable, I guess due to his dumb look, but also agree that he doesn't seem rough enough(as Meh said, scholarly) but apart from that, he does well

as does Zhou Xun, although I can't get used to her mouth(something weird I can't put into words), she is very energetic and sweet

I don't like H7G but it doesn't seem to matter that much -

I loved loch83 for its actors and basic good story, but here I find myself liking this version just as much even with poorly cast ppl, maybe because emphasis is placed on the accuracy and attention to detail of the strong story, making it the most focused of all loch adaptations

the reviews by Ian Liew and Meh are both excellent and I would say they are very accurate as to how I see this series too(tho I don't like Zhou Jie as much as Ian )

IMO, a must see
    Last edited by Charlieboy; 08-04-03 at 10:47 AM.

Cool Good show

I've only watched 4 episodes of the show. It seems good and the computer effects looks good too. I like the horses scenes of those "Da han" (Mongolian). I feel that the supporting casts has sort of bring out the power of Mongolian? Anyway, the seneries are very beautiful too. I'm looking forward to watch the main casts.

Heh - probably because LOCH was my first ever Mandarin series, and seeing Zhou Jie, a familiar face from my Cantonese-dubbed Huanzhu Gege made me more comfortable with the show. I agree that he did annoy at times (especially that shoulder-shaking childish thing he does) but I did like his performance.

Ian

Very good and detailed reviews from everyone. I really like this new version. It should put TVB to shame with the beautiful scenery, the meticulous attention that the whole crew put into the show which was evident in directing skill, casting, fighting choreography. One thing I cannot stand in this series is Zhou Jie (Hold off your hate mails, Zhou Jie's fans). His acting is so exaggerated. Why are his eyes round most of the time? He glares at everyone and shakes his shoulder all the time. Yang Kang is one of my favourite villains yet Zhou Jie somehow ruins it for me.
    If a man could be at two places at one time, I'll be with you
    Tomorrow and today, beside you all the way

TKL, totally agree with you regarding the scenery and choreography

also forgot to give creds to the casting and direction of Mui Chui Fung - graceful, beautiful and very tragic - how different from previous lochs - I know how Ian Liew feels too kind of fallen in love with her

Zhou Jie totally ruined the series for me, and he was one of the main characters. My mom said that he didn't have the look to be Duong Khang, so she told me not to rent it. And I totally agreed with her.

Originally posted by mellon
    Zhou Jie totally ruined the series for me, and he was one of the main characters. My mom said that he didn't have the look to be Duong Khang, so she told me not to rent it. And I totally agreed with her.
    Wow. You must be a big Duong Khang fan. I never thought of him as a major character though. So I didn't care to write much about him.

I didn't rate Yang Kang that badly maybe because it never occured to me that Yang Kang needed to be that handsome. He just needed to look very shifty and cunning.

Ian

It would have been perfect had Lu Ji (I hope I spell his name right ?) accepted the job to play as Yang Kang. Too bad, he refused the role and thus, it was given to Zhou Jie.
    Last edited by Temujin; 08-06-03 at 03:06 PM.

You mean Lu Yi??

Yeah... Lu Yi wanted LingHo Chung rather than Yang Kang though.
    He refused the role because he wanted to build up milk boy image I guess.
    Please email me with questions. Do not use PM here.

Is there anyway I can watch it online or something? I dont live in HK

Thumbs up My LoCH2003, China review

Really quick right now. Gonna add in more substance later, when I have time.

Well, it's awesome. They really outdid themselves this time, creating a grand masterpiece reminicent of great dramas like the Band of Brothers or Sopranos. In fact, I'd favorably compare LoCH to Sopranos, though Sopranos is a stronger piece.

I have problems with the music, though; for a wuxia drama, the music was disconcertingly too Western. Much of the background music, in fact, sounded right out of some medieval European film like Robin Hood (Eryl Flynn and Costner)! The OP and ED were too classically orchestrated. I would have much more preferred traditional Chinese music, or even cantopop, than classical Western music.

hmmm.. I thought the ending theme song was great though.
    But.. glad you finally found Korean version.

ÃàÇÏ ÃàÇÏ! v(^^)v

I didn't even finish it b/c I hate Zhou Jie so much. He and Richie Ren are really alike. Him as Yang Kang is not much different from Richie Ren as Yang Guo.
    Beauty is not in the face;
    beauty is a light in the heart.

-It's beauty that captures your attention; personality which captures your heart.

Just a quick thought... Shirley, do you judge actors by appearance or the acting skill?

Originally posted by Yon
    hmmm.. I thought the ending theme song was great though.
    But.. glad you finally found Korean version.

ÃàÇÏ ÃàÇÏ! v(^^)v
    Yeah, the song kinda grows on you. Still, it's like a flashback from Mariah Carey, 1990. And just as sappy.

Actually, I didn't find a Korean version. I've been renting the show from a video store. But I like so much, I'd like to keep it for real though.

Don't u guys think Zhou Jie and Li Ya Peng look too old to be Yang Kang and Gou Jing. Both characters are only 18 at the beginning of LOCH, and at most 20 or 21 (not sure how many years have past, only know that it's not that long) at the end.

Originally posted by kidd
    Don't u guys think Zhou Jie and Li Ya Peng look too old to be Yang Kang and Gou Jing. Both characters are only 18 at the beginning of LOCH, and at most 20 or 21 (not sure how many years have past, only know that it's not that long) at the end.
    Yup. Zhou Jie is around 30 now and LYP isn't that young (or at least, he doesn't look young).
    "Eternal Vigilance is the price of Liberty" -- Thomas Jefferson

"In the end, more than they wanted freedom, they wanted security. They wanted a comfortable life, and they lost it all -- security, comfort, and freedom. When ... the freedom they wished for was freedom from responsibility, then Athens ceased to be free." -- Sir Edward Gibbon

"A nation of sheeps will beget a government of wolves" -- Edward R. Morrow

"My greatest fear is that too many members of the public will embrace the government's call to give up some freedom in return for greater safety, only to find that they have lost freedom without gaining safety."

I agree about Yang Kang being ruined. Not good looking enough, and over-acting just..ugh. Zhou Jie sucked as Yang Kang. I still loved the series though.
    Guo Jing doesn't need to look young, he just needs to be real rugged and Li Ya Peng looks like a dumb scholar, when he should look like a dumb ox wrestler
    Burying his Dugu 9 Jian manual under an epitaph, Dugu Qiubai felt he has left his legacy for the next generation. He then moved to Shaolin to study Buddhism, sweep floors and tap elite fighters.

GJ looking a lil old is ok, because he lived on the Mongolian plains exposed to nature constantly. It’s understandable that he’d look older than his real age. He should have been more tan though. Zhou Jie on the other hand, appearance wise he is a utter failure. From the production shots I didn’t have high expectations and as expected he was the biggest failure of LOCH.

I still enjoyed the series very much. It didn’t try to get melodramatic like shitty YPP adaptations and it was faithful to the novel including scenes which other adaptations were too cheap to include.

While I was watching the VCD I noticed a lot of goofs, but compared to other series, LOCH2003 was very good.

The best part of the series were the beginning parts shot in Mongolia. Awesome. I also loved the freaks, I couldn’t get enough of them. They were so well done this time.