View Poll Results: Was Gwok Jing happy or unhappy about Yeung Hong's death?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Glad that his mortal enemy was dead.

1 4.76%
  • Sad that his sworn brother was dead.

17 80.95%
  • ambivalent

3 14.29%

Thread: Was Gwok Jing happy or unhappy about Yeung Hong's death?

Default Was Gwok Jing happy or unhappy about Yeung Hong's death?

Yeung Hong's death must have been an emotional roller coaster for Gwok Jing. On the one hand, a dangerous enemy who had murdered Gwok Jing's teachers was dead. On the other hand, Yeung Hong *was* Gwok Jing's sworn brother.

What was Gwok Jing's overall disposition towards Yeung Hong's death? Was he relieved/gratified that his enemy was dead, or did he mourn the loss of a brother?

Gwok Jing's disposition towards Yeung Gor during ROCH leads me to believe that Gwok Jing was more saddened than gladdened by Yeung Hong's death.

The initial reaction can be a relief. But thereafter sad as a lot of "if-then-else" questions will come in.

I think he was really hoping that Yang Kang would turn good, so he would have been sad that it had to end that way. He would also be a bit relieved because Yang Kang had already gone very far, but I think the main emotion would be sadness.
    我是个疯子疯子疯子只爱你的疯子 你是个傻子傻子傻子傻的却好懂事
    要爱你一辈子 写爱你的故事 在我心里承诺了几千次

GJ first learned of YK's death when passing the corpse en route to finding HR (IIRC). As his mind was set on the missing HR, he didn't have time to reflect on YK, he just sighed and left in a hurry.

Flash forward 10 years, when GJ had a lot more time to reflect, he felt he didn't do enough to help YK (which is true), so that's why he put so much energy into YG.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    Flash forward 10 years, when GJ had a lot more time to reflect, he felt he didn't do enough to help YK (which is true), so that's why he put so much energy into YG.
    Your 'which is true' statement interest me. What more could GJ have done to help YK?
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    Your 'which is true' statement interest me. What more could GJ have done to help YK?
    GJ barely spent any time with YK in LOCH. Most of the time he was occupied with HR in various adventures. Some were beyond his control, but he could have put more time into YK.

GJ barely spent any time with YK in LOCH. Most of the time he was occupied with HR in various adventures. Some were beyond his control, but he could have put more time into YK.
    But, YK hardly listens to him. At one time, YK even wanted to kill him. He couldn't do much to help/guide YK to the right path.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    But, YK hardly listens to him. At one time, YK even wanted to kill him. He couldn't do much to help/guide YK to the right path.
    Doesn't mean his attempt will be successful (I don't think it will), just saying that he could have spent more time on it. I think most ppl in LOCH thought it should be natural for YK to go murder WYHL, so none of them spent much time swaying YK. With more diligent, caring effort from the Pro-Song people, YK could potentially have been converted.
    Last edited by PJ; 01-05-11 at 10:15 PM.

I'm a bit confused about PJ's reply that Gwokg Jing came upon Yeung Hong's corpse but was too preoccupied with finding HR. I thought that Gwok Jing was with both Muk Lim Chi and Yeung Hong when Yeung Hong died? Well, I'll see YH's death soon as am watching the series on Astro now - boo hoo hoo! Yeung Hong is so dashing and charming....... much more handsome than Gwok Jing!

Quote Originally Posted by judylcm View Post
    I'm a bit confused about PJ's reply that Gwokg Jing came upon Yeung Hong's corpse but was too preoccupied with finding HR. I thought that Gwok Jing was with both Muk Lim Chi and Yeung Hong when Yeung Hong died? Well, I'll see YH's death soon as am watching the series on Astro now - boo hoo hoo! Yeung Hong is so dashing and charming....... much more handsome than Gwok Jing!
    They did things a bit differently in the series than in the novel.

By the time Gwok Jing found Yeung Hong, there was nothing there but bones. Overnight, the crows had picked away at *all* of his flesh (and died from the poison in it; Au Yeung Fung's snake venom was no joke).

Sometime later, Yau Chui Gei and the other Cheun Jen Sect Taoists stopped by the grave. Yau Chui Gei made a crude grave marker for his late student, which Yeung Gor found some twenty years later.

Did Au Yeung Fung have different types of snake venom? Mui Chiu Foong was also poisoned by snakes set upon her by Au Yeung He in Tung Che Sai Duk but she didn't die. How come Yeung Hong died so quickly from the residual poison on Wong Yung's soft hedgehog vest?

Maybe he was glad when he died in LOCH and maybe just felt guilty in ROCH. From what I remember (but correct me if I'm wrong) they barely had time to "bond". And it seems like they only became sworn brothers because of their parents wishes and not because they are friends and are comfortable with each other...
    喜欢一个人不就是应该让她感到幸福,让她快乐。别给他带来困扰 - 孟天楚/刑名师爷

Doesn't mean his attempt will be successful (I don't think it will), just saying that he could have spent more time on it. I think most ppl in LOCH thought it should be natural for YK to go murder WYHL, so none of them spent much time swaying YK. With more diligent, caring effort from the Pro-Song people, YK could potentially have been converted.
    I have to agree that Guo Jing certainly didn't do anything to HELP Yang Kang go on the right path. I dunno if he would have been able to get Yang Kang to go on the right path, but he certainly hindered Yang Kang quite a lot. Of course, it wasn't just Guo Jing that did. I think a bigger culprit is Mu Nianci. And of course, Yang Kang's mother really did horribly too.

I think their main problem was that they kept insisting that Yang Kang must KILL the man that raised him. That was never the right thing to do, pro-Song or not. Good god, how could they think it's only natural for Yang Kang to want to kill him? Guo Jing himself couldn't even kill Genghis Khan (who acted somewhat like a surrogate father to him), much less that he expected Yang Kang to actively seek Wanyan Honglie and assassinate him? Numerous times it was shown that Wanyan Honglie was a super nice dad that loved his son. Sure, he was a pretty mean guy... but he was never shown to be really bad towards Yang Kang. If people tried to convince Yang Kang by telling him that they don't expect him to kill his dad, he probably would've been a lot more receptive.