Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: The Snow is Red

Banned

Your compare the wrong thing here: 1) Xiao Feng and Lou Xuan are not Father and Daughter, they just DIFFERENT in AGE. And yes I agree with you that he cannot surpass himself to be with her, but compare him to her as her dad, wrong!!
    2) Yes, I agree, Xiao Long Nu and Yang Guo both think teacher and student relationship is OK that why they together, agree. But you cannot bring the DAD and Daughter relationship compare. Xiao Feng and Lou Xuan are not blood related. Honestly, I think they can make it, so what of a big gap of age different. And you right, it is him that cannot tollerate such a thing.
    And Yes, incest is wrong, but Xiao Feng and Lou Xuan are not consider incest.
    My question is: You think he actually love her?

What everybody thinks? Do you think he actually love her?
    NO offend OK Kidd, just discuss opinion with you.

Yes, I think Luo Xuan really loves Xiao Feng.

I use the father/daughter comparison to show u how Luo Xuan feels. It's not the age difference that bother him, but the fact that he is her teacher. You are using modern values to judge Luo Xuan, but remember, Luo Xuan is living in a different era where values are very different from nowadays. In his era, a teacher is akin to a parent, so, a teacher/student relationship is akin to incest.
    Last edited by kidd; 01-20-04 at 06:38 AM.

Banned

agree with you kidd, yes you right, i was using modern value to judge him.

other way around, you think Xiaofeng love lou xuan?

Originally posted by kidd
    ctway,

Which storyline do u think is better? The book or the series? I read some opinions from others who has read the book and they all prefer the series.
    I liked the TV series much better. I didn't read the book very thoroughly though, but I believe that adding the plot twist of Luo Xuan and Xiaofeng and exploring the dynamics of their relationship and Xiaofeng's relationship with her twin daughters added much richness to the story.

Also, how is the characterisation of Xuanshuan and Jiangxue? Is it like the series?
    I would say that in the book the emotional aspect of Jiangxue is even more veiled. Sometimes I wondered whether she was "functioning" from a framework of emotional response to love or rational duty (marriage vows are sacred and a faithful person will uphold them). In the book Xuanshuang is not her sister, and she has the typical old era woman mentality that it's OK for her husband to have many wives.

As for Xuanshuang, since she is not Xiaofeng's daughter, there isn't that annoying whining. The character in the book is depicted as naive/innocent, loving towards Zhaonan and has very powerful kung fu. She was more of a helper to Zhaonan than in the series.

The catalyst for the story in the book is Zhaonan's search for vengeance. In this search he ends up entangled in this old unfinished business between a rebellious ultra powerful disciple (Xiaofeng) and her mythical ultra powerful master (Luo Xuan). The conflicts Luo Xuan underwent (trying to change Xiaofen'gs "evil character) have importance. Actually, it is only mentioned in the end. And in the book Zhaonan is the main character. The TV series focused on Xiaofeng and Luo Xuan. Which was a much richer explorationm, IMHO.

Yes, I think XiaoFeng loves Luo Xuan. Very much and obssessively.

It's interesting to see how XiaoFeng and her daughter JiangXue approach and react to love so differently.
    For XiaoFeng, her ultimate goal in love is to gain acceptance from the person she love. She wants her love returned and validated. Nothing less will satisfy her.
    But for JiangXue, her top priority is ZhaoNan's well-being and happiness. She does not need to possess the one she loves. As long as he is happy, she's ok.

Originally posted by Question

My question is: You think he actually love her?

What everybody thinks? Do you think he actually love her?
    Question, I will also answer the questions you posted on the "On Reviews" thread here.

I think Luo Xuan and Xiaofeng are both very attracted and attached to each other. They both had genuine feelings for each other.

But the "way" each one had in mind is different. For Luo Xuan the proper "way" meant they could not express their feelings in a romantic/sexual relationship, while for Xiaofeng they could.

Luo Xuan felt he couldn't go against the "way." I believe that he was not being a hypocrite, i.e., using the "way" as an excuse not to assume the relationship with Xiaofeng because he believed Xiaofeng was an "evil" person (see my On Reviews post).

I think Xiaofeng wanted more from Luo Xuan than what he thought he could give. And of course he shares guilt in helping her build the illusion that their relationship could have future. But in a sense, Xiaofeng had greater freedom of choice than Luo Xuan, and she did not use her choice to help Luo Xuan be happy.

You see, for Xiaofeng, choosing not to be with Luo Xuan is painful and hurt very much, but is not going against "the way how things should be". In that sense, she was "freer" than Luo Xuan to choose. Luo Xuan was "bound" by more things in the "way" than her. Of course he failed to stay within his own beliefs on how things should be, but those beliefs were truly binding to him. He was not "free" to break them.

In that sense, Luo Xuan loved Xiaofeng more than Xiaofeng loved Luo Xuan, because within the realm of choice each had, Luo Xuan gave what he could but Xiaofeng did not.

It may be argued that it is unfair to Xiaofeng. She did not ask to have that freedom, why couldn't Luo Xuan "break free" too?

I guess that's where more wooden figurines might be needed. Some that "open the eyes" of Luo Xuan to the fact that master/disciple is NOT blood relationship.

However, in this story at least, there were no such figurines for this issue, and the way I see it, within the realm of what is possible from each character, Xiaofeng loved herself a little more. That at least is my opinion.

As for Xiao Long Nu and Yang Guo, both did not have that concept of "master/disciple cannot have relationship." It was the two of them against the world, while for Xiaofeng and Luo Xuan was one against the other. That's how things were written, I guess, so that's how things turn out to be.

No doubt that a happier ending would have happened had Luo Xuan "broke free."

Originally posted by ctway
    As for Xuanshuang, since she is not Xiaofeng's daughter, there isn't that annoying whining. The character in the book is depicted as naive/innocent, loving towards Zhaonan and has very powerful kung fu. She was more of a helper to Zhaonan than in the series.
    Then, Alice Chan certainly didn't do a very good job in potraying this character. I certainly didn't see the naivete and the innocence of XuanShuang in Alice's potrayal.

Originally posted by ctway
    In the book Xuanshuang is not her sister, and she has the typical old era woman mentality that it's OK for her husband to have many wives.
    Who are u refering to as the 'typical old era woman mentality that it's OK for her husband to have many wives'? XuangShuang or JiangXue?
    If it was XuanShuang, then Alice Chan again failed to potray this espect of XuanShuang too. Yes, she did tell ZhaoNan to marry both her and JiangXue but she said it reluctantly.
    Last edited by kidd; 01-20-04 at 08:33 AM.

Banned

got it, thanks
    just want to hear you guys opinion
    anyways, i dont get this

In that sense, Luo Xuan loved Xiaofeng more than Xiaofeng loved Luo Xuan, because within the realm of choice each had, Luo Xuan gave what he could but Xiaofeng did not.

lou xuan gave what he could?? what did he give?
    Lou xuan love xiaofeng more? i dont know about that? your confuse me, can you tell me what he give, that you say he love her more then she love him?

to me he give nothing, beside rejecting and push her away, it CLEAR in the movie, that she love him more then he love her, it show straight out
    Last edited by Question; 01-20-04 at 08:32 AM.

Originally posted by kidd
    Then, Alice Chan certainly didn't do a very good job in potraying this character. I certainly didn't see the naivete and the innocence of XuanShuang in Alice's potrayal.
    I agree, but then with the changes, maybe the scriptwriter had no intention of keeping Xuanshuang as a naive innocent character. But then again she might have not done a good job.

Who are u refering to as the 'typical old era woman mentality that it's OK for her husband to have many wives'? XuangShuang or JiangXue?
    Jiangxue. In the book she actually urged Zhaonan to find more wives because her life might be in peril and would endanger the prospects of generating heirs for the Fang family.

Originally posted by Question

lou xuan gave what he could?? what did he give?
    Well, let me put it this way: he did not run away and leave her behind.

In his worldview, he could not accept her. I believe he was suffering just as much as she did for not being with her.

Had he chosen to accept her given his view on the "way," he would have been doing something like maintaining an incestuous relationship. It is a sign of his love for Xiaofeng that he chose not to continue. Again, this is assuming that he truly believed that that is how things should be, and was not using it as an excuse.

This is not to say that there was no "rejection" in the sense that the relationship had to be stopped. The relationship was broken. He failed Xiaofeng on that stormy night, but in that failed state, he chose the best way he was capable of.

I wished there were more screen time between the actor 'yan,chi keung' (lawrence yan) who played the blind step father with the actress named 'lai, XXX'
    (forgot her entire name)--she played the lady who used the whip as a weapon.

I think they played a cute couple.
    I think the role she played---she's worried over her facial appearance--her face was damage is unnecessary since her lover is the blind man who loved her no matter what she appears to be, he loved her for being herself. He is blind, how is he going to see or know that her face is ruined unless he sees it or someone tells him.

Hey there everyone!!!!!!!

I have just currently rented the first half of this series and finished watching it. Planning on getting the rest of it today. Anyways I really like it so far!!!! The themesong and sub songs are really nicely sung!!! Plus the cast was very good!!! A lot of vertern artists and their protrayal was excellent!!!!

Anyways my favorite couple so far in the series is also Lawrence Yan and Lai Suk Yin. These two really have chemistry togehter, not to mention how cute their love story was. A few things that I have complients about their relationship is to me it developed a little too fast in the beginning and they didn't get enough screen time togehter!!!!!

My favorite character would be Lawrence himself!!!! I just love him in here!!! His character is really one of a kind. Its sad how he sorta likes Mimi in the beginning, but she doesn't like him. Gosh that scene where he saw Mimi and David hugging was sad. I think he ran out into the rain right? Even after knowing that those two had something togehter, he still respects David fully and tries to treat Mimi nicely. I really admire his character for not letting the twins get into Mimi's hands even when it ment having to go blind. Gosh, his character really developed in the series!!! At the beginnig he was somewaht slow lets put it, but towards the middle and end of his time, he really showed more sense and intelligence you know? Hehehe, I think he looked teh handsomest in the middle part of the series. He looked really handsome with that hairdo and the brown outfit. I hope you guys know which style I'm describing. Anyways I've seen him in several series before where he played the good, bad, and almost every type of role. I never knew his name till now though He is a great actor

I've only seen Lai Suk Yin in this series and Interpol. I really liked her character in Interpol, always wanted to know her name. Glad I do now. So she is married to that guy who played the monk? They were also in Interpol together

Anyways I like about every single character in this series except for Mimi herself. I just can't stand her at all!!! I can understand what she went through in the beginning, but all this can't be blamed on David. One thing I can not forgive her was for blinding Lawrence and then ultimitely causing his death. Maybe I'll pity her later on........... I like David however. I respect his character, but his decision on Mimi was just too blah....A minute of unthinking caused it all.

Lol, here is a view that is quite opposite from you guys. I perfer Alice's character over Kristy's. I just find that I like Alice's character more so far for some reason. Maybe it has something to do with me not really being a kristy fan. I find her acting in here is the same as her acting in every other serise, but I do like her character a bit. Hopefully I will eventually like her.

There are a few characters in the series that I would like to know the names of. Hope you guys could help. First would be the eldest disciple of Mimi. She usually wears the blue outfit and first appeared when stealing that big pot at the beginning of the series. Anyways I've seen her in Year of Chameleon and A Lawyer Can Be Good. I like her, but still dont' know her name. Hope you guys can help Lol, I guess she is the only one. Thanks!!!
    Yesterday's History,
    Tomorrow's a Mystery,
    Today's a Gift,
    That’s why we call it,
    The Present.

Originally posted by goddessofhonour
    !

Anyways my favorite couple so far in the series is also Lawrence Yan and Lai Suk Yin. These two really have chemistry togehter, not to mention how cute their love story was. A few things that I have complients about their relationship is to me it developed a little too fast in the beginning and they didn't get enough screen time togehter!!!!!

My favorite character would be Lawrence himself!!!! I just love him in here!!! His character is really one of a kind. Its sad how he sorta likes Mimi in the beginning, but she doesn't like him. Gosh that scene where he saw Mimi and David hugging was sad. I think he ran out into the rain right? Even after knowing that those two had something togehter, he still respects David fully and tries to treat Mimi nicely. I really admire his character for not letting the twins get into Mimi's hands even when it ment having to go blind. Gosh, his character really developed in the series!!! At the beginnig he was somewaht slow lets put it, but towards the middle and end of his time, he really showed more sense and intelligence you know? Hehehe, I think he looked teh handsomest in the middle part of the series. He looked really handsome with that hairdo and the brown outfit. I hope you guys know which style I'm describing. Anyways I've seen him in several series before where he played the good, bad, and almost every type of role. I never knew his name till now though He is a great actor

I've only seen Lai Suk Yin in this series and Interpol. I really liked her character in Interpol, always wanted to know her name. Glad I do now. So she is married to that guy who played the monk? They were also in Interpol together

:

In real life is the actress "lai,suk yin" who used the whip as a weapon really married to that actor who played as the monk-head (mimi's father)?

Its too bad that ATV don't give her "lai,suk yin" as much chance in leading roles as they gave to alice chan and kristy yang.
    what do you think?

In what other series is she also starred in?

I agree with you earth. I really think that Lai Suk Yin has more acting ablities then Kristy or Alice even put together. Its such a pity that her on screen appearence is so limited. I'm really curious also if its true that she is married to the actor who played as Mimi's father and the monk.

I've seen that actor in numerous serials like Heroine of the Yangs 2, Legend of Hung Man Ting, Interpol, and etc. As for Lai Suk Yin however, besides this series I've only seen her in Interpol. I think someone mentioned earlier that she was also in Coincidentally.
    Yesterday's History,
    Tomorrow's a Mystery,
    Today's a Gift,
    That’s why we call it,
    The Present.

She was also in Vampire Priest II, starring Liu Wenlong and the late Lin Zhengying, where she played that reporter that Liu was obsessed about.

I finally finished this series off a little while ago and I'm just curious to know which of the two sisters do you like better? Alice or Kristy and maybe support it with a reason? hehe.

After finishing the serise I really feel for Alice's character and I like her better. Not because I've never been fond of Kristy, I actually like Kristy in here, but I perfer Alice over her.

Even though Alice ended up with Andrew when Kristy is the one who did practically everything for him and sacrificed so much for him, Kristy had one thing that Alice didn't. That was the love and company of her parents.

Yeah, Mimi was evil and Kristy didn't really want to recognize her as her mother, Mimi still loved her a lot and it seems she loved her more then Alice. Also Kristy had more time spent with David then Alice did. Plus it seemed like David had more of a fatherly daughter relationshiop with Kristy then Alice.

I feel bad for Alice. I would have really liked to see some more of scenes between Alice and her parents. Maybe even let her and her father get to know one another more or have a relationship like Kristy was given.

Love and family love is different. To me it seems like family love exceeds love of a guy and a girl you know? I don't think Andrew's love to Alice is as filling as the mother/father love Kristy had recived even if she didn't want/need it.

Lol, talking too much. Anyways that is just my little opinion. I'm hoping to hear more from all of you guys!!!!!
    Yesterday's History,
    Tomorrow's a Mystery,
    Today's a Gift,
    That’s why we call it,
    The Present.

the love of her parents? kristy didn't even know that Mimi was her mother until later in life. Alice at least had the blind guy to take care of her. Kristy i believe was sold from place to place and finally was taken in by Mimi

Alice's acting is probably at its worse in this series- there is no chemistry between her and andrew at all-
    $this->handle_bbcode_url(str_replace('\"', '"', 'http://members.aol.com/xsol4realx/private/ltv.jpg'), '')

Originally posted by Withoutasol
    the love of her parents? kristy didn't even know that Mimi was her mother until later in life. Alice at least had the blind guy to take care of her. Kristy i believe was sold from place to place and finally was taken in by Mimi

Alice's acting is probably at its worse in this series- there is no chemistry between her and andrew at all-
    Agree with Withoutasol. Alice might not have the chance to know her parents better, but she has parental love from her foster father and now the love of the guy she loves. Kristy lost her foster parents at a young age and then got pick up my Mimi. I don't think Mimi showed her that much parental love while Kristy is under her wing. Kristy is like a teacher's pet, but that's very difference from parental love. She still has to behave herself and not to offend her teacher. Alice, on the other hand received her foster father unconditional love. I think Alice also has a happier childhood since she's surpose to have a cheerful personality (though Alice failed to show that part).

Hmmmm.....you guys have points there. I agree on the part that Alice had unconditional love from her god-father and she supposedly had a better childhood.

I felt that the love Mimi gave Kristy was more then that of a teacher and disciple relationship. She did love Kristy as a daughter and even though Kristy did numerous things to ruin Mimi's plans and all, Mimi forgave her and didn't do much to her. Except that last time when Kristy was pregnant and all htough.....

Now that I think back I have a few questions. How old are Alice and Kristy supposed to be? I don't know, but didn't the series protray it out as 16? Oh and which one of them had better martial skills too?
    Yesterday's History,
    Tomorrow's a Mystery,
    Today's a Gift,
    That’s why we call it,
    The Present.

Was David Chiang's character, Luo Xuan and Norman Tsui(whatever his last name is) suppose to be the top fighters in the series?

I mean the whole purpose with the Map that Lawerence Yan's character Tian Xiang searching for the best suitable person to use the map to meet Luo Xuan so he would teach that suitable person some high kungfu and to fight against Nie Mei Niang?

So was Luo Xuan a top fighter or what?

If yes, then it would answer Goddessofhonour's question on whether Xuan Shuang or Jiang Xue had better kungfu skills.

Because all the sword skills, she learned were from Tian Xiang and Tian Xiang were taught by Luo Xuan.

But for some reason, I think Mei Jiang Xue had better fighting skills. Since her character got the best of everything in the series, excluding Andrew Yuen but then Andrew Yuen's character was a total wuss and any girl who ends up with him is not going to be happy on a long term.

HOWEVER, I remember that part where Nie Xiao Feng went to Shaolin and Alice and Andrew's characters I think were heading there but was stopped by two weirdos who wanted Andrew to be their student, Alice got caught in the crossfire so the Abbot of Shaolin or some high monk tried to protect her or so and was fighting with Mimi and it lead to her father's cave and they exchanged conversations and etc. Then Alice had to stay at Shaolin and wanted to go find Andrew, but they didn't let her leave so she left anyway but then a monk found a piece of that weapon that Mimi uses, and assumes that Alice is a spy, so a bunch of monks tried to stop her with their sticks and stuff but she beat them after only a few moves. So I think Alice does have good fighting skills too.

Did Alice and Kristy ever fight one on one?

Andrew's character never pushed Kristy's character away and I rewatch some eariler episodes and I'm wondering..if he didn't love her or like her at all, then why the hell would he even listen to her orders like when you hear my flute music, you must go search for me and meet with me? WHY? if He doesn't have no feelings for her WHY go out and meet her all those nights? Why even be concern or feel guilty when he was with Alice that one night and did not meet Kristy?

That really confuses me.

And man I really think that Andrew's character had no back bone/....really spineless..er so...just because Kristy told him to make a marriage vow with her under the moonlight, he says no and then he does it anyway and makes a marriage vow with her? HELLO..if you don't love the girl why you make vows with her? Even though, when he tries to explain this to Alice, with "I was trying to protect or get the map, so I agreed to that only to get the map" The hell is that? I don't believe it.

Yes, Kristy and Alice were suppose to be sixteen because they were babies before the sixteen years later thing when they're older.

Andrew was I think eighteen or so.

Then Nie Xiao Feng and Tian Xiang are like in their mid-twenties or thirties after the sixteen years.
    Last edited by Suet Seung; 04-15-04 at 12:53 AM.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.