Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: The Snow is Red

OMG! Hey if anyone has the theme song and sub theme can I please have it?? Thank you sooooo much!! My email is [email protected]

Default Is this series based on a Wuxia novel?

Hmm, since it is not uncommon for HK Wuxia series to follow a particular Wuxia novel, I am just wondering if "The Snow is Red” is also based on a Wuxia novel by a certain famous author? If so, can I please have the author’s name as well as where I can purchase the book? I have always loved to read the books and watch the adaptations or vice versa. That is usually why I get very upset if adaptations completely butchered the original novels!

Thanks,
    Minh Giao

Quote Originally Posted by Dai Hup View Post
    Hmm, since it is not uncommon for HK Wuxia series to follow a particular Wuxia novel, I am just wondering if "The Snow is Red” is also based on a Wuxia novel by a certain famous author? If so, can I please have the author’s name as well as where I can purchase the book? I have always loved to read the books and watch the adaptations or vice versa. That is usually why I get very upset if adaptations completely butchered the original novels!

Thanks,
    Minh Giao
    Novel: Jiang Xue Xuan Shuang (絳雪玄霜)
    Author: Wo Long Sheng (臥龍生)
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    Novel: Jiang Xue Xuan Shuang (絳雪玄霜)
    Author: Wo Long Sheng (臥龍生)
    Zunjing de Kidd,

Thank you so much for giving me the title of the novel; I really appreciate it!

I was just wondering if the title you have provided above just one part of the entire novel since I would find it rather strange that the title of the novel was the twin sisters’ names as they did not even appear in the beginning and cannot really be considered the main characters?

Before I start hunting down this novel, I would like to know how closely this adaptation followed the original novel. Did the characters really change and were there many alterations?

Xie Xie,
    Minh Giao

Dai Hup,

I really don't know how much the series deviate from the novel because I have not read the novel. The info I gave you is all I know. It's not strange that a title character didn't appear right from the beginning. Many main characters of JY story didn't appear from the beginning either.

Since this series was based on an almost unknown novel (at least to myself and some others), then there could've been LOTS of deviations.

Quote Originally Posted by CharRay_Obsessed View Post
    Zunjing de Kidd,

Thank you so much for giving me the title of the novel; I really appreciate it!

I was just wondering if the title you have provided above just one part of the entire novel since I would find it rather strange that the title of the novel was the twin sisters’ names as they did not even appear in the beginning and cannot really be considered the main characters?

Before I start hunting down this novel, I would like to know how closely this adaptation followed the original novel. Did the characters really change and were there many alterations?

Xie Xie,
    Minh Giao
    I read the book eons ago when the series was first out and i tell you, it is a totally different book.

The relationship between Lor Yuen and Lip Siu Fung is totally different and less heart-breaking. From my understanding, it was just Lip Siu Fung seducing Lor Yuen, there wasn't any love in between though some unclear feelings and they certainly did not have kids. Mei Gong Shuet and Chan Yuan Sheung weren't related and Fong Siu Nam was less of a block of wood and more assertive and decisive. Mei Gong Shuet and Fong Siu nam did not have sex or have a baby.

The ending was actually a happy one where Lip Siu Fung kills herself because she lost all her martial arts and became ugly and old, and Fong siu Nam ends up to dceide between three girls who all love him and are happy to share him.

But the book is less memorable bcause they aren't strong feelings between the the characters and no development on Lip Su Fung's earlier part of life - she comes out as a powerful and vengeful seductress but no one knows how. And Lor Yuen only appears in the last chapter or something.

I think ATV did a great jump in enhancing teh background story and giving it mroe spice though Fong Siu nam was a failure.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

Quote Originally Posted by charbydis View Post
    I read the book eons ago when the series was first out and i tell you, it is a totally different book.

The relationship between Lor Yuen and Lip Siu Fung is totally different and less heart-breaking. From my understanding, it was just Lip Siu Fung seducing Lor Yuen, there wasn't any love in between though some unclear feelings and they certainly did not have kids. Mei Gong Shuet and Chan Yuan Sheung weren't related and Fong Siu Nam was less of a block of wood and more assertive and decisive. Mei Gong Shuet and Fong Siu nam did not have sex or have a baby.

The ending was actually a happy one where Lip Siu Fung kills herself because she lost all her martial arts and became ugly and old, and Fong siu Nam ends up to dceide between three girls who all love him and are happy to share him.

But the book is less memorable bcause they aren't strong feelings between the the characters and no development on Lip Su Fung's earlier part of life - she comes out as a powerful and vengeful seductress but no one knows how. And Lor Yuen only appears in the last chapter or something.

I think ATV did a great jump in enhancing teh background story and giving it mroe spice though Fong Siu nam was a failure.
    oh tat sounds horrible. i liked the first part of the story. and the second generation. disliked the third.

considering LSF had no kids, then the second generation wit mimi and david doesn't exist in the story?
    Currently in love with Bae Suzy...for superficial reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagger Lee View Post
    Since this series was based on an almost unknown novel (at least to myself and some others), then there could've been LOTS of deviations.
    I've to agreed with you there. I think most serires now-a-days based on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Linda View Post
    oh tat sounds horrible. i liked the first part of the story. and the second generation. disliked the third.

considering LSF had no kids, then the second generation wit mimi and david doesn't exist in the story?
    I am now rewatching in and I find myself fast-forwarding Fong Siu Nam's scenes. Andrew acting back then was very wooden and bores me crazy!

The thing between LSF and LY still existed but iot is only mentioned breifly and the readers are only left tp guess what one arth their relationship was. Basically, it was teh same story how LY came forward to take LSF home with him and raised her up. But no elaboration of how they felt about each other and how they came about to have sex. It just said that she seduced him and learn all his martial arts and then poisoned him. But later in the novel when asked about LY, LSF does pause for a second as if deep in thinking. I think that int eh novel, LSF definately had some feelings for LY but not the deep fanatic obsessive love that Mimi has for David/John in the series. And it is unclear of what LY thinks.

Mui Gong Shuet and Chan Yuen Sheung still appeared in the novel, but they weren't the product of that raininy night. Mui is just the disciple of LSF (hehe, always thinking Luk Siu Fung when I see this abbreviation ) and Chan is the grand-daughter of Chan Tin Sheung!!! (big deviation right!!! )

Fong actually also has a relationship to his martial sister Wai Ying who gets promised to him by her father. But the surprising thing is that MGS actually wants FSN to marry all of them so that he would have someone to take care of him when she dies.

There is less loyalty and conflict between MGS and LSF which sucks because it is interesting. LSF doesnt; play that big a part anyway, she is often talked about by other characters but only floats past in a few chapters.

It wasn't a bad book to read, but its not memorable and it didn't pull any strong emotions for me. Very happy with LSF vs LY in the ATV series!
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

Quote Originally Posted by charbydis View Post

Mui Gong Shuet and Chan Yuen Sheung still appeared in the novel, but they weren't the product of that raininy night. Mui is just the disciple of LSF (hehe, always thinking Luk Siu Fung when I see this abbreviation ) and Chan is the grand-daughter of Chan Tin Sheung!!! (big deviation right!!! )

So wait, how does that happen? Is Chan Tin Sheung's age different and character different from novel to series? So CYS and CTS is actually blood-related in the novel?

Who is Ngai Tin Hang?
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

so basically, there is no blood related 3rd generation. they are simple different ppl raised up by different ppl who meet and have a triangle love story.

in the story, does FSN still loves CYS the most? or does he have a thing with MGS?

All I could remember about this series was that all the good guys were actually the bad guys, while the bad guys were merely misunderstood, or were so abused by the good guys that they turned bad.

The main guy (the very tall one) took advantage of Jiangxue in a drunken stupor. Yes, it's mutual but I believe that he was not so drunk until he did not know what he was doing. He just wanted her, and being drunk was the perfect excuse and timing. If she rejected him, there's always the drunk excuse but if she accepts, it's all good for him. And because he's drunk, it gives him the perfect excuse not to be responsible too!

Xuanshuang... meh. What good was she except at whining and complaining?! Her character was so 'ugh'. She was also barely nice to her sister. Complete turn-off.

Xiaofeng's dad was horrible. After having fun, he dumped the woman. He did not even care when she pleaded for him to help her and their child. If he thinks doing that can atone his 'sins', how wrong he is! There is the Buddhist term, 'To save a life is to build a seven-storied pagoda' and it applies to both good and bad guys. He left a woman and a child to their own fates, ignoring their pleas of help, despite the fact that the child was his! It makes a complete and disgusting contrast when the scene showed him chanting scriptures while he ignores them.

Damien's character was the worst one. He felt ashamed and angry at his 'accidental' affair with Xiaofeng. So in return to atone for his sins, not only did he abused her, he also tried to KILL her and their daughters. WTH. What kind of decent man would do that? What kind of a GOOD guy would do this sort of thing?

The only real good guy could be Xuanshuang's adoptive father. Since I don't remember anything about him, I assume he's an okay bloke.

Other than that, the so-called good guys are so 'ugh'! They've done so many shameful things behind the scene and yet they were known and celebrated as HEROES!

Xiaofeng and Jiangxue are my favorite characters, and it's too bad they suffered so much under the hypocrisy of the 'good guys'.

Okay, thus end my rant.
    Last edited by Guo Xiang; 09-27-07 at 10:49 AM.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang View Post
    Damien's character was the worst one. He felt ashamed and angry at his 'accidental' affair with Xiaofeng. So in return to atone for his sins, not only did he abused her, he also tried to KILL her and their daughters. WTH. What kind of decent man would do that? What kind of a GOOD guy would do this sort of thing?
    Uh. When has he tried to killed his own child? I don't remember he ever tried to do that. I remember him giving the 2 babies to Chan Chen Tian Xiang to get them away from their mother.

You seem to be siding and giving many leeways to the bad guy and are extra hard to the good guys.

Have you forgotten that Xiao Feng actually poisoned Luo Yuan causing him to be crippled?

And Xiao Feng isn't a model mother either. She purposely made her daughters sick to get sympathy from Tsui Siu Keung's character.

Xiao Feng was not an innocent girl. Yes, Luo Yuan has feelings for her. But he tried to control himself. Xiao Feng took advantage of the situation when he was sick and push herself on him. He did tried to push her away. Yes, at last he gave in to his desire. But, it's not all Luo Yuan's fault.

He cannot bring himself to 'live happily ever after' with Xiao Feng because he's not Yang Guo. To him, 'the way' is a part of his life. Not following 'the way' is wrong. Yes, slept with Xiao Feng was wrong, but to him, going on to marrying her and live with her together as husband and wife is even more wrong. It's like incest to him. The best he can do is offering Xiao Feng a place to stay while he tried to stay away from them.

Btw, that's not Damien. That's John Chiang. Your memory really has played tricks on you.

The main guy (the very tall one) took advantage of Jiangxue in a drunken stupor. Yes, it's mutual but I believe that he was not so drunk until he did not know what he was doing. He just wanted her, and being drunk was the perfect excuse and timing. If she rejected him, there's always the drunk excuse but if she accepts, it's all good for him. And because he's drunk, it gives him the perfect excuse not to be responsible too!
    As much as I hate Fang Shao Nan, I think he's truly drunk. I don't think he's so calculating he would think being drunk as an excuse. I think he did have a bit of feelings for Jiang Xue causing him to act like that when drunk.

What I hate about him was his irresponsibility. Drunk or not drunk, you bed her, so, you should not left her to fend for herself after persuading her to leave her sect. Unlike Luo Yuan, he didn't have the incest thingy to prevent him from doing the right thing.
    Last edited by kidd; 09-27-07 at 11:22 AM.

Oh? Well... I've warned you... I don't remember much about it. It was a very long time ago when I watched it. But it's strange, because I just recalled that Xiaofeng was running away from the murderous master (erm, name again?) when she met the other guy. Then she entrusted him with Xuanshuang or that she dropped Xuanshuang accidentally in her hurry and he picked the baby up.

As for her master, my memory tells me he had an accident somehow, and he ended up the way he was.

Someone please confirm.
    Last edited by Guo Xiang; 09-27-07 at 11:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post

Xiao Feng was not an innocent girl. Yes, Luo Yuan has feelings for her. But he tried to control himself. Xiao Feng took advantage of the situation when he was sick and push herself on him. He did tried to push her away. Yes, at last he gave in to his desire. But, it's not all Luo Yuan's fault.

He cannot bring himself to 'live happily ever after' with Xiao Feng because he's not Yang Guo. To him, 'the way' is a part of his life. Not following 'the way' is wrong. Yes, slept with Xiao Feng was wrong, but to him, going on to marrying her and live with her together as husband and wife is even more wrong. It's like incest to him. The best he can do is offering Xiao Feng a place to stay while he tried to stay away from them.
    Hey! from what I remember, LSF wasn't trying to take advantage of her poisoned master, she was trying to warm him up by rubbing him. Then he gave in and hugged her to which she felt surprised! It is this surprise which leads me to believe that she was innocently trying to keep him warm and not intent on forcing into bed.

As for LY, his sense of morality overcome his feelings for LSF so he cannot commit himself to accept her as his spouse for fear of judgement from the wulin and most importantly, from himself, his own conscience. He feels deeply remorseful after the LSF incident and tried to make it up to her the best he can without commiting anymore wrongs. In his own mind, the best he can do is to offer then a safe and comfortable life of shelter for LSF and the babies, and stop her from going beserk and live a life of evil.

LY acknowledges that LSF needs emotional support but he cannot bring himself to give this to her. He wants to but he has this fabulous self-control so that at a stage when he is forced to show his feelings, he responds by devoiding himself of emotion and try to hurt LSF to stop her feelings for him, thus he says the most cold and icy words to LSF, esp in the BLood Cave. All the care that he wants to give, he does so through Chan Tin Seung.

As for taking responsiblity, I think he did the best he could. If he had just wnated to protect his name and status, he could have just killed LSF and her fetuses when she started stealing his martial arts and using her mother's Seven Blade Comb and then no one else would find out about it. But he didnt, he tried to provide for them and deal with the stress and guilt by having them stay with him.
    Last edited by charbydis; 09-28-07 at 06:52 AM. Reason: left out something
    Cyril Connolly

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung View Post
    So wait, how does that happen? Is Chan Tin Sheung's age different and character different from novel to series? So CYS and CTS is actually blood-related in the novel?
    This the gap between the downfall of LY and the "third generation" is like 40 years or something instead fo teh 16 years in the novel, so Chan Tin Sheung is much older when he adopts Yuen Sheung so she calls him grandpa instead fo dad.

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung View Post
    Who is Ngai Tin Hang?
    Haven't you been watching "The Drive of Life"? Bad SS! You're not supporting Ng Wai Kwok!
    Cyril Connolly

LY acknowledges that LSF needs emotional support but he cannot bring himself to give this to her. He wants to but he has this fabulous self-control so that at a stage when he is forced to show his feelings, he responds by devoiding himself of emotion and try to hurt LSF to stop her feelings for him, thus he says the most cold and icy words to LSF, esp in the BLood Cave. All the care that he wants to give, he does so through Chan Tin Seung.

As for taking responsiblity, I think he did the best he could. If he had just wnated to protect his name and status, he could have just killed LSF and her fetuses when she started stealing his martial arts and using her mother's Seven Blade Comb and then no one else would find out about it. But he didnt, he tried to provide for them and deal with the stress and guilt by having them stay with him.
    Is that so? I see.

Thanks for the information confirm.

As for her master, my memory tells me he had an accident somehow, and he ended up the way he was.

Someone please confirm.
    In the series, LSF manipulated/seduced Man Tin Shing to believing that LY had raped her and kept her locked up to hide his shame. Then MTS wanted LSF and the babies to leave with him so he challenged LY to a duel to death. LSF made LY feel guilty about the babies and he let MTS chop at him but MTS stopped himself and challenged LY to another duel. LSF knew that MTS woudl never win over LY so she poisoned him with some gold lizard through soup so and doesn't show up for the duel and MTS takes her away.

LY got Tin Sheung to force the poison out but somehow he pressed the wrong acupoint and the poison spread everywhere and LY had to confine the poison to hsi legs to surveive so he was paralysed.

The most fascinating thing about the LY/LSF relationship tht it is all love and hate. teh strong the love they more they hate. teh mroe they hate, the more they cannot get rid of their feelings for each other. The biggest problem in their relationship is that they see things from totally different perspectives.

LSF is a demanding person. She will give unconditionally but she expects the same amount in return and when she doesn't she thinks that the perosn is hypocritical and starts hating them. She tries on numerous occasions to kill LY but she never really does it to the full extent. She hurts him all the time, but she can't bring herself to kill him. She was brought up to be selfish and to think that other people who don't agree with her must be killed so she doesn't see any problem with falling in love with her master. She probabaly fell in love with him because he was the only who would risk his life for her when everyone was trying to kill her and her mum, and he was special to her.

LY is brought up to be honourable and moral and to do the right thing so he can't get it past himself that he fell in love with his pupil. He tried but couldn't stop his feelings for her so he tried to stop her by being emotinally distant (cold and angry) towards her to drive her away. When that didn't work, he physically distanced himself from her but that didn't work either. He hates LSF for being evil and stuff, but throughout the whole series, he never stops loving her or caring for her, even though he keeps it alll to himself. LY probably fell in love with LSF because she was the only who managed to show her care for him (other people respect LY as a hero but not care for him all the minor deatils that LSF does though her years on the mountain ). Plus, she was gorgeous and the only female on the mountain.
    Last edited by charbydis; 09-28-07 at 07:15 AM. Reason: Adding stuff on
    Cyril Connolly

Its funny how sum of u place the blame more on LSY door then LY.

Yes LSY is not the best mother or one of the good guys. But neither is most of the characters in TSIR.

No matter how they came about to consumate their relationship, they did have a relationship. when LSY fell pregnate, she was estatic, she thought it would bring LY and her closer, but it didn't. wat did he do?

tried to distance himself because he loves her? i doubt it. he kept her locked up in a shack, alone. would anyone in their rite mind do that to a pregnate woman?

there was no love involved in his treatment of her, he viewed her as a future treat to the wulin world and treated her as thus.

until the very end, when she asked him if he had any feelings for her, he's answer was the same as it was all those years before. No.

never onced in the film did he ever show any sign of having any feelings for LSY, i for one, felt that he was simply waiting for her to turn bad or to die off.

if he had really wanted to help, being a doctor and all, he should have understood the emotional need of an orphan child who watch her mother perished at the hands of so called good guys in a sneak attack no less.

yet all she got from him throughout her time is "if you ever commit a crime agaisnt the wulin world, i will kill you". i don't see how a child already filled with hate can grow to live a 'respectible' life with no guildance.

wat ever LSY did afterwards, she always felt justified, and i agree with her. in her position, so would i.

considering the way he emotionally mistreated LSY through out his life and hers.

LY is not an honourable hero nor a good doctor.