Thread: Where is dark skin beauty in wuxia??

Default Where is dark skin beauty in wuxia??

In wuxia, almost all beauties of all wuxia novels are described as having skin as white as pearl. Where is dark skin beauty in wuxia? I wonder why pretty much all wuxia writers are obsessed with white but not dark skin beauty.

Seems to me that the obsession with tanness is a recent Western phenomenon.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

I think in the original version of LOCH, YG's birth mother Qin Nan Qin had dark skin yet she was a beauty.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

In general "white" meant healthy and wealthiness. Since if you were poor and worked in the fields you are much more prone to getting dark from sunlight. So being white meant you were wealthy and had servants, you didn't need to be out farming. It doesn't exactly mean white = beautiful and dark = ugly. People just wanted white because that hint towards being better off.

There's one chinese saying I have heard, but don't know where it came from, 一白遮三丑, i.e. one white covers 3 ugliness. Would this be from the ancient times or is this a new invention/saying?
    Quote Originally Posted by remixedasian View Post
    6: Duan Yu is the greatest martial artist of all time

Yin Gu, Yuan Zi Yi's mother had dark-skin cos she was working on the fishing boats all day long.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

It's not specifically wuxia writers who are obsessed with white. The Chinese prefers fair skin over dark skin. Like athlee said, 'one white covers 3 ugliness'. What this means is, if you are fair, it will cover you other less beautiful features.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

"one white covers 3 ugliness" lol that saying is so silly and seems like such nonsense...however I have seen "it" in action so I guess it's not "untrue" after all. I think the wuxia writers are just recycling their society's beauty standard even if they perhaps were not particularly fond of white skin personally ::shrugs:: One thing that I notice now is that one must not only be white skinned but she should also be thin....and that might hide 5 ugliness. :P
    I like me.

So this is an interesting observation. But it seems to me that in one of the series Guo Jing developed something similar to the skin disease described here. Have you noticed this too? Could I be wrong?

I'm a bit confused in here. Because there is no Black and White skins in China. We are talking about the stories who tell about the people in China. Or East Asia in general who have similar skin color. What make them different is people who have fairer skin, and people who have darker skin.

Even for people who have darker skin, they are not the African or Indian black people. They're still Chinese who have the same skin color with the others, who have fairer skins. What make them different is that fairer skin people are people who have cleaner skin. Or people who take care their skin more. While darker skin people are people who don't really take care of their skin, or people who exposed to the sun a lot.

That's why it is logical if then people said that fairer skin people are more beautiful than darker skin people in Wuxia.

Fair skin has always been the most desired beauty trait in the Sinosphere culture, even as of now.8 Almost every classic beauty is described with a fair skin. This is very consistent across countries such as China, Korea, Japan, Vietnam and across art types such as literature, paintings, stage performance etc.

Even handsome guys were mostly desbribed to have fair skin. In literature, the frequently used phrase to desbribe these guys is "to have (facial) skin as fair as if he had makeup on)." (loosely translated).

That doesn't mean there weren't beautiful people with dark skins, of course. It's just that authors almost always chose to described their beautiful characters with fair skin.