Thread: How did Yau Chui Gei know that Gwok Siu Teen was a descendant of Gwok Sing?

Default How did Yau Chui Gei know that Gwok Siu Teen was a descendant of Gwok Sing?

When Yau Chui Gei first met Yeung Teet Sum and Gwok Siu Teen, he needed to ask Yeung to confirm the latter's ancestral lineage to General Yeung Tsoi Hing, despite being able to recognize Yeung's signature family spear technique. With Gwok Siu Teen, however, Yau was able to correctly guess that Gwok was a descendant of the hero Gwok Sing from THE WATER MARGIN, despite Gwok Siu Teen himself not being well-known. How did Yau Chui Gei know Gwok Siu Teen was Gwok Sing's descendant?

Long story short, he didn't. Per the novel:

The Taoist smiled and said: “You are really using the ‘Yang Family Spear’. Sorry for any offense. Please honor me with knowing your surname.” Yang Tiexin still hadn’t recovered from the shock of all this, so he replied without much thought: “My surname is Yang, given name is Tiexin.” The Taoist asked: “Are you related to General Yang, Yang Zaixin?” Yang Tiexin answered: “He’s my great grandfather.”

The Taoist cupped his fist and saluted: “I mistook the two of you for scoundrels, turns out that you are descendants of patriots, please forgive me. May I be so bold as to ask this gentleman’s surname?” Guo Xiaotian answered: “Surname is Guo, given name is Xiaotian.” Yang Tiexin added: “He’s my martial brother, he is the descendant of Guo Sheng, one of the Heroes of the Water Margins of Mount Liang.” The Taoist replied: “Your humble Taoist acted rashly and rudely, please forgive me.” Then he saluted again.
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

Another example of TVB LOCH 82's poorly modified script.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Liew View Post
    Another example of TVB LOCH 82's poorly modified script.
    Kind of makes you wonder *why* they made this change. It was already laid out in very simple fashion, so why complicate it?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Kind of makes you wonder *why* they made this change. It was already laid out in very simple fashion, so why complicate it?
    Because Patrick Tse and Har Yu had star quality, and the scene was supposed to be about them and not the kelefe Chu Tit Woh? Just get his part over and done with as fast as possible and concentrate on the stars while the soundtrack is still pounding in the background, or they'll miss the sync. Or something like that.