Thread: I Love Hong Kong-Eric Tsang, Tony Leung Ka-Fai,,Sandra Ng,Anita Yuen,Felix Wong

Default I Love Hong Kong-Eric Tsang, Tony Leung Ka-Fai,,Sandra Ng,Anita Yuen,Felix Wong

Eric Tsang Presents New Year Film 'I Love Hong Kong' on Jan. 31

Famous actor-host Eric Tsang has assembled over 100 local stars in his New Year's movie, "I Love Hong Kong" ("Kai Xin Wan Sui"), recounting the old days for Hong Kong residents.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://english.cri.cn/mmsource/images/2011/01/27/c496c878bd9b42a5aac6e5ce101345a9.jpg')
    Famous actor-host Eric Tsang has assembled over 100 local stars in his New Year's movie, "I Love Hong Kong" ("Kai Xin Wan Sui"), recounting the old days for Hong Kong residents. The movie will open in cinemas on January 31, Mtime.com reports.
    The story centers on a family of three members, starring Tony Leung Ka-Fai, Sandra Ng and Aarif Lee. Due to financial difficulties, they must move back to public housing, where the city's lower-income people inhabit. They have some unhappy experiences with neighbors at the beginning; however they are gradually moved by them after living in there for some time.
    Director Eric Tsang said he grew up in public housing. The story in the movie reminds him of those old days.
    Over 100 local stars join the cast, such as Anita Yuen, Bosco Wong, Felix Wong and Michael Miu.
    Last year, "Echoes of the Rainbow" ("Sui Yue Shen Tou"), a drama telling a story in 1960s Hong Kong, caught Hong Kong audiences' attention and helped its lead actor, Aarif Lee, win a Best New Performer award at the 29th Hong Kong Film Awards.
    The public housing policy started in Hong Kong in the 1950s, which set mass housing program projects, invested by the government to provide affordable homes for the city's lower-income residents.

Link
    http://english.cri.cn/6666/2011/01/27/63s617883.htm

This movie is quite funny and entertaining in it's own right but pales in comparison to '72 Tenants'. Because I like '72 Tenants' so much, I have high expectation for this movie, I ended up a bit disappointed. But, it's not a bad movie.

Eric Tsang (or the scriptwriter) uses the same formula. Comparing the past and the present and highlighting the idiosyncrasies of some of society's practices. It has a lot of reminiscencing the good old days of the past. So, I can see why it top the box office in HK. It resonates with the HK people's collective memories. But, I think Eric or the scriptwriter amp up on the silliness this time which makes the movie less entertaining for me. '72 Tenants' silliness was just the right amount.

At the end, this movie is still worth a watch. It's not simply a silly comedy. It's also has social commentary about the current happenings in HK society e.g. leng mo phenomena and the overuse of rules (the scene with Tony Leung and Ting Kai Man in the parking place is funny).
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

mmmm really nice one !