Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What do you think of this story?

Just my input:

In a few religion, there are teachings that talks about letting go of the worldly things. I have been in a very similar position as the girl's so, I really don't think it is a big deal. And, so what if there was a test you're put into. Why mind?

I can see to what Lucre has stated in her replied posts and agreed to most of them. And, certainly, I feel that we can resolve problems when keeping things simple, as contrary to problem arises when we complicate things.

I feel that, many things in this world, despite they all seem so different but in principle, they are pretty much the same. Some things/people, we just have to learn to appreciate them before it's too late.
    Last edited by remember_Cedric; 03-03-11 at 12:08 AM.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

Hmm... actually I thought the issue was not about letting go or not, but rather the method that was employed to make the girl let go.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

What method would you think is better, to effectively make the girl give up her pearls then?
    o wilku mowa...♪

The only thing I need to know is that I don't know anything.

Hey, speaking of ze 'method'.... even this thread is a method employed to "test" us from our responses, and each of us reveals our personalities according to the scenario/the story.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

Quote Originally Posted by remember_Cedric View Post
    Hey, speaking of ze 'method'.... even this thread is a method employed to "test" us from our responses, and each of us reveals our personalities according to the scenario/the story.
    I won't call it a test but it's obvious people with different personalities will invariably notice different angles of the story, thus coming to varying responses. Our true character often is the main factor how we see things; and what concerned us most will lead us to be mindful of certain aspects more so than others.

Not many people like to admit to themselves the 'uglier' side, and many get defensive about it; our minds can't deal with it and continued to justify, justify and lie to ourselves so that we end up believing we are better than we are.

Why is self-centeredness such a 'bad word'? Most of us, are like that actually. If we aren't then we would not be so concerned and take an exceeding interest in ourselves, including obsessive scrutiny of ones own weakness.
    o wilku mowa...♪

Lucre: I can agree that one way or the other, we can be self-centered, and not to forget the level of self-centeredness. Obsessive scrutiny of ones own weakness? I don't quite understand that. For instance?

The method used by the father may be a concern. It's probably not a good idea to test on people or to get tested - I might flip too, if I get tested by just any one. But whoever did that test in the story is the father - Doesn't he have the rights to understand his child better through how she would response to a (supposedly) test? People appear not have enough faith, enough to see the father's intention in a positive light, I feel.

Quote Originally Posted by remember_Cedric View Post
    Lucre: I can agree that one way or the other, we can be self-centered, and not to forget the level of self-centeredness. Obsessive scrutiny of ones own weakness? I don't quite understand that. For instance?

The method used by the father may be a concern. It's probably not a good idea to test on people or to get tested - I might flip too, if I get tested by just any one. But whoever did that test in the story is the father - Doesn't he have the rights to understand his child better through how she would response to a (supposedly) test? People appear not have enough faith, enough to see the father's intention in a positive light, I feel.
    The first referred to those who always observed their faults and admonish themselves thinking that is a virtue (of humble-ness) which isn't necessarily so.

Out of pride one strives to be 'humble'; that sort of paradoxical behavior.

Remember that the story is written by somebody to illustrate a point; nobody says it should be perfect and withstand criticism. The point is, did you become a better person from it or not? Even if it has no value to you now so be it yes? It's getting strange that humans spend more time finding fault than hunting treasures.
    o wilku mowa...♪

Gotta love some people here.

This isn't even a Bible story, so it's not an attack on your faith, when people point out how this is pure manipulative extortion, done on a little child no less.

This is typical bullsh1t that your corrupted church leaders make up to get more money from you. Nothing to do with your faith or your God, who would probably disapprove (if he exists).
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

Default Oh well

Quote Originally Posted by Candide View Post
    Gotta love some people here.

This isn't even a Bible story, so it's not an attack on your faith, when people point out how this is pure manipulative extortion, done on a little child no less.

This is typical bullsh1t that your corrupted church leaders make up to get more money from you. Nothing to do with your faith or your God, who would probably disapprove (if he exists).
    Not sure whom you are addressing to in particular, but it's kinda strange that you continued to insert 'remarks of an offensive nature' defending your strong affinity towards anti-theism or whatever it is that fueled your passion to get upset when people refused to give up their own views to bend to yours?

Oh maybe you wouldn't admit ur upset, but I wonder what makes you so desperate to 'appear intelligent' by sprouting comments of mostly sarcastic in nature?

But you amused me too sometimes. Guess it all works well.
    o wilku mowa...♪

I wonder what will the dad do if Jenny start wearing the real pearl ever day and won't part with it.

I know this is not the point of the story. Just musing.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    I wonder what will the dad do if Jenny start wearing the real pearl ever day and won't part with it.

I know this is not the point of the story. Just musing.
    you can always write your continuation of the story. =p
    o wilku mowa...♪

Quote Originally Posted by Lucre View Post
    you can always write your continuation of the story. =p
    I think this time, he should sit her down properly for a good talk. He couldn't really give her a diamond necklace to top the pearl.

Confiscating the necklace is a second choice.
    Last edited by kidd; 03-06-11 at 04:49 AM.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Nope he won't give her a diamond necklace because it's giving her an even bigger temptation. What he could do is only to offer his love, and helplessly watched her self destruction if she dies not respond to his pleas. Confiscating the pearls is an exertion of authority over someone, whereby the girl loses for that split second, the freedom to choose.

There, my version.
    o wilku mowa...♪