Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HEY, A FREAKING MASSIVE EARTHQUAKE JUST HIT JAPAN!

First there was a major flood in Queensland Australia, then an earthquake in Christchurch and now an earthquake in Japan...and it is only the beginning of March!
    “我停在原处也许就是为了让大家在累的时候,有个可以回头休息的地方。”

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Yeah, one of my colleagues was telling me. It was 7.2 a few days ago. This is bad, very bad. God bless the country.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

Indeed, this is a terrible catastrophe! My favorite singer (Kim Junsu) has finally managed to leave safely on a flight back to Korea after receiving such a shock...and two of my friends in Japan have been affected by it, but are currently safe. I hope everyone in Japan can stay as safe as possible!

It was huge earthquake and Japan received severe damage. Felt sorry for the people who lost their dear lives. But it triggered some panic all over the world as if Japan has sunk. It was totally safe in the places where beaches are far away.
    "Big Hero Linghu kills frogs with the Dugu Nine Swords!”

I just saw the news and footage. My sympathy to everybody, especially survivors.

i saw the news early this morning and immediately called my friend over there without even reading where exactly it was. thank goodness that she lives far from that area!

The scope of this disaster is so huge that its true effect will be measured in years, and even through the lives of people who walked away intact from its immediate effects.

8.9 is pretty fúcking huge.

Quote Originally Posted by fridaythe13th View Post
    First there was a major flood in Queensland Australia, then an earthquake in Christchurch and now an earthquake in Japan...and it is only the beginning of March!
    Gives a whole new meaning to the term, 'March Madness' if you ask me
    Local Li Bingbing/Shui Ling addict
    Out of my mind, back in several years or until the Wife says I can, whichever comes first
    Itsh A Sthpork Sthupid!! ~ Daffy Duck, as quoted by my sister

Some twit in the European Parliament is blaming it on Global Warming!!! It's insane, but not unexpected.

It's really really terrible. Even the most earthquake-prepared nation in the world can't defeat nature. Hopefully help will get to them quickly before anymore disasters strike.

Many have not been accounted. The number of deaths will be increasing. Think the Japanese are shocked by the magnitude too.

^ Yeah, it's a double whammy - earthquake and tsunami - now accompanied by the spectre of a nuclear meltdown. And food and water shortage, plus power cuts. Information has been sketchy and people are confused, worried and freezing cold.
    玉木宏

blog

it's just getting worse and worse. i'm left speechless by the magnitude of this disaster. i'm trying to do some research into determining what's a legitimate charity to donate to as i do not trust the red cross, which seems to be plastered everywhere. if anyone knows of an organization that actually uses the majority of the donated amount towards the cause (instead of towards the ceo's pocket) then please let me know as well.

in the meantime, i hope that the survivors will be able to keep warm and be without hunger soon.
    if you have the time and enthusiasm, please join in on the new and fabulous wuxia rpg fic /rpg discussion. (<--- click here)

Quote Originally Posted by patricia n View Post
    it's just getting worse and worse. i'm left speechless by the magnitude of this disaster. i'm trying to do some research into determining what's a legitimate charity to donate to as i do not trust the red cross, which seems to be plastered everywhere. if anyone knows of an organization that actually uses the majority of the donated amount towards the cause (instead of towards the ceo's pocket) then please let me know as well.
    You don't trust the Red Cross? How come? I was thinking of making a donation to the Red Cross here in the UK.
    玉木宏

blog

if you read reviews of the red cross on sites that look over the legitimacy of charitable organization or google red cross reviews, you would not want to trust them either. most of the donated money never goes to the intended cause. if anything, it stays within the organization for their own profit. their director makes $600k/year...how's that for a charitable organization.

here's an example. while the charity navigator site ranks it pretty high on their list of legitimate foundations; it fortunately allows users to also post reviews.
    http://www.charitynavigator.org/inde...ews&orgid=3277

also, here are some other people's experience.
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/usnw/20110311/pl_usnw/DC63870_1

right now, i'm torn between the salvation army and doctors without borders
    Last edited by patricia n; 03-13-11 at 09:52 PM.
    if you have the time and enthusiasm, please join in on the new and fabulous wuxia rpg fic /rpg discussion. (<--- click here)

^ Thanks for the heads-up. Never would have thought that about the Red Cross, but it's sad to think that people would siphon money meant to help those in need. I think I'll just chip in something via my Japanese friend here - she's got family in Japan.
    玉木宏

blog

if you read reviews of the red cross on sites that look over the legitimacy of charitable organization or google red cross reviews, you would not want to trust them either. most of the donated money never goes to the intended cause. if anything, it stays within the organization for their own profit. their director makes $600k/year...how's that for a charitable organization.

here's an example. while the charity navigator site ranks it pretty high on their list of legitimate foundations; it fortunately allows users to also post reviews.
    http://www.charitynavigator.org/inde...ews&orgid=3277

also, here are some other people's experience.
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/usnw/20110311/pl_usnw/DC63870_1

right now, i'm torn between the salvation army and doctors without borders
    If you can manage a bit for both it would be a double whammy approach. The first for food, shelter and personal items and the second for medical aid.

OT: May I know where you get the salary figure? Thanks much.