Thread: Ming Cult vs. Ming Cult

Default Ming Cult vs. Ming Cult

We don't know much about the collective abilities of the Ming Cult during the era that it fought against Wong Seung, the inventor of the 9 Yum Jen Ging, but I figure that if the group could give a master of 9 Yum Jen Ging a good struggle, its collective strength must be fairly good.

Do you think the Ming Cult of the pre-LOCH era would be stronger, or is the more familiar Ming Cult of the HSDS era stronger?

I think a fairer comparison will be Ming Cult of Yang Dingtian's era.

Quote Originally Posted by flamer View Post
    I think a fairer comparison will be Ming Cult of Yang Dingtian's era.
    Excepting the Cult Leaders (Yeung Ding Teen and Cheung Mo Gei), it's basically the same people.

I wonder if we should count the Cult Leaders. Having Cheung Mo Gei there greatly throws the match in the later Ming Cult's favor.

Speaking of Yang Dingtian, I wonder what transpired that caused him to blind the Du monk's eye. Sure there was a conflict and some bad blood between them caused by Cheng Kun, but I wonder what exactly Cheng Kun did that made him go so extreme. The Ming Cult had a pretty good reputation during the time of his leadership, and he seemed a pretty honorable fella, so usually duels only wind up with someone being defeated, not permanent injuries that cause them to hate you for the rest of your life.

Edit: I just realized, from the events described in the novel didn't Cheng Kun only start the troubles for the Ming Cult after the Yang couple died together? To my understanding, he obviously hated YDT because his lover married him, but there was no indication that he was causing trouble for him until after she died....especially since he was getting booty from her on the side.
    Last edited by tape; 04-19-11 at 01:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tape View Post
    Speaking of Yang Dingtian, I wonder what transpired that caused him to blind the Du monk's eye. Sure there was a conflict and some bad blood between them caused by Cheng Kun, but I wonder what exactly Cheng Kun did that made him go so extreme. The Ming Cult had a pretty good reputation during the time of his leadership, and he seemed a pretty honorable fella, so usually duels only wind up with someone being defeated, not permanent injuries that cause them to hate you for the rest of your life.
    Maybe it wasn't anything personal or malicious...just that the fight was especially brutal. Those Shaolin monks were quite powerful, so maybe Cult Leader Yeung had to do that to win.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Maybe it wasn't anything personal or malicious...just that the fight was especially brutal. Those Shaolin monks were quite powerful, so maybe Cult Leader Yeung had to do that to win.
    It would have to be pretty personal or malicious to blind someone, especially if both people were rather important and righteous figures of their respective sects. The repercussions would be too huge.

The answer is probably something really mundane, like killing a Shaolin disciple and blaming YDT, and killing a high ranking Ming cult member and blaming the Du Monk. Yang defeats him in battle, and blinds him but spares his life in order to repay the blood debt.

Still, the time line now intrigues me.
    Last edited by tape; 04-19-11 at 01:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tape View Post
    Edit: I just realized, from the events described in the novel didn't Cheng Kun only start the troubles for the Ming Cult after the Yang couple died together? To my understanding, he obviously hated YDT because his lover married him, but there was no indication that he was causing trouble for him until after she died....especially since he was getting booty from her on the side.
    Cheng Kun could have started scheming earlier. He said that on the day of YDT's marriage, he already vowed to kill YDT and destroy Ming Cult.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    Cheng Kun could have started scheming earlier. He said that on the day of YDT's marriage, he already vowed to kill YDT and destroy Ming Cult.
    Cheng Kun is clearly a very hated villain, but if YDT is kinda deserve it as well. He should not steal his friend lover. If he didn't do that, Cheng Kun would certainly not go after him and the Ming Cult.

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    Cheng Kun is clearly a very hated villain, but if YDT is kinda deserve it as well. He should not steal his friend lover. If he didn't do that, Cheng Kun would certainly not go after him and the Ming Cult.
    YDT and Cheng Kun were not friends. YDT did not steal CK lover. It was CK's sifu who arranged/agreed on the marriage of his daughter to YDT, who was after all a prestigious cult leader.

Part of the blame goes to Yang Dingtian's wife, Cheng Kun's lover. She was in love with CK, but she agreed to marry YDT (with pressure from her gold-digging parents). Then she wasn't happy with YDT, so she kept a steady extramarital affair with CK. YDT and she both died directly b/c of this, and it turned CK into a monster, the downstream effect of which harmed thousands more.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」