Thread: asians wanting to look more westernize

Default asians wanting to look more westernize

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapc...uty/index.html

Seriously? Have you guys ever met an asian person that doesn't like his asian features?
    有了你開心D乜都清心滿意鹹魚白菜也好好味

I dunno, but I do know that girl looks less ugly now.

I happen to quite like the way I look :P I just watched the video...the little girl didn't look drastically different after the surgery...must be partly psychological in this specific case.
    Last edited by ByTmE; 05-24-11 at 03:03 PM.
    I like me.

Quote Originally Posted by QF View Post
    Seriously? Have you guys ever met an asian person that doesn't like his asian features?
    Well, a lot of Asians wish they had whiter skin.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    Wanting whiter skin is part of Asian culture and has been that way for millenniums way before they have any contact with any Caucasian, it has nothing to do with wanting to have western look. I am personally against plastic surgery as there are serious consequences to it. I would never want to put myself under a knife. There is no need to have a perfect image. In fact, the more plastic surgeries you have the more ugly you are in the long run. However, I have nothing against people who have plastic surgery as I don't force my personal belief onto others.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    It might not have that much to do with Western-worshipping attitude that we think. In the older days, wealthy people do not have to till and toil under the hot sun, so they tend not to have dark skin, so a fairer complexion is linked to wealth and good fortune while dark skin is linked to poverty and thus less attractive.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

I think Asians linked the fairer skin concept to "Fairer girls = pretty". It's more on appearance only than anything on a historical belief. That's what I deduced from the praises I've received from many young & old.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

Quote Originally Posted by remember_Cedric View Post
    I think Asians linked the fairer skin concept to "Fairer girls = pretty". It's more on appearance only than anything on a historical belief. That's what I deduced from the praises I've received from many young & old.
    So it's nothing new, only recently linked to Western-worshipping attitudes, which could have its own grounds too. Just that the obsession with fair skin is not new and did not root from Western-worshipping.

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang View Post
    So it's nothing new, only recently linked to Western-worshipping attitudes, which could have its own grounds too. Just that the obsession with fair skin is not new and did not root from Western-worshipping.
    Huh? What my earlier post meant has nothing to do with "Fairer girls = pretty = because they look like/similar whites in the west i.e caucasians". It's simply the concept of "fair white goose" vs "dark ugly duckling". I get those "words of envy" alot since I was in elementary school, if you could call that recent.

I don't think it's so complicated, it's simply fair complexion is easy on the eyes for some. I think tanned people look sporty and can easily hide freckles, which is good. If you get the chance to witness one getting praised due to fair complexion, ask the "praiser" why. And you will see whether your assumptions were right.
    Last edited by remember_Cedric; 05-27-11 at 05:26 AM.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

Quote Originally Posted by remember_Cedric View Post
    Huh? What my earlier post meant has nothing to do with "Fairer girls = pretty = because they look like/similar whites in the west i.e caucasians". It's simply the concept of "fair white goose" vs "dark ugly duckling". I get those "words of envy" alot since I was in elementary school, if you could call that recent.

I don't think it's so complicated, it's simply fair complexion is easy on the eyes for some. I think tanned people look sporty and can easily hide freckles, which is good. If you get the chance to witness one getting praised due to fair complexion, ask the "praiser" why. And you will see whether your assumptions were right.
    Sorry but I'm not sure if I understood what you meant... and I had probably misunderstood your previous post as well. My head is quite muddled these days... I wish there's a cure for it... Sorry about this.

this shit is so annoying. so when white girls tan, do they want to look like black girls?

asians get their eyes done because it looks BETTER and white girls JUST SO happen to have them. it's like saying white girls get lips injection to look like angelina jolie (albiet, who wouldn't). they get them to get fuller looking lips, angie just so happen to be blessed with 'em.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang View Post
    Sorry but I'm not sure if I understood what you meant... and I had probably misunderstood your previous post as well. My head is quite muddled these days... I wish there's a cure for it... Sorry about this.
    Doesn't matter. It's fine. Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by ByTmE View Post
    I happen to quite like the way I look :P I just watched the video...the little girl didn't look drastically different after the surgery...must be partly psychological in this specific case.
    I agree,when I watched the video this kind of bring back old memories since high school.Should I be looking a certain way?Anyways,I am fine with the way I look because I do have one side is double lided eyes,while the other is single lid.But,I don't have them done.Because I always know this combination came from both my parents;1/2 and 1/2.So there should be no fighting,who got his or her eyes.Besides,my teeth one day I should get them fixed to be aligned;alittle crocked.Which most children had this problem fixed a long time ago.

The inner beauty triumphs all because once you get to know his or her personally.OMG mode,even with that nice face what at B**** or I do know why you need to do it.So,once you be able to get through over your internal beauty,then maybe work on those imperfections alittle bit at a time which people hasn't seen yet.Don't look at the packaging on the outside,but what's inside it.For example,some people on the outside doesn't like he or she can sing;then got an amazing voice.Most didn't have get anything done,but the courage to show they got the will to do it from the inside.

I do see this on Asia tv shows;I am wondering why are so many Asian wants to have a westernized look?Is it necessary?I am Asian-American and honestly,it's best to appreciate your imperfections and try to tend area's needs work on to a point where other's feel more comfortable about you.This is more a westernized thought because there are American's dress sloppy,etc.But,when you get to know them you see the human side,not the implied you have to be like this person mentality!

Trien Chieu,
    Your ok to visit the US anytime you wished and like to see what westernized means to you?Since,both borders are close feel free to wonder around and please put those dangerous and sharp objects in the waste disposal.Just joking,I think you do after all.

I do recommended Asian people from different parts from Asia should come into the US because some people don't really understand what the definition of westernized is?You actually can see how people walk and talk,live day to day lives just like any other;by diversity of course.What does westernized really means to you?

Not being racists on this because I just wondering myself and thinking is this truely what their own definition of western really is?Because its no where close definition from anyone within the US.We all come in different nationalities,shapes,sizes,whatever,etc.As long you figured out where you fit in this is the challenged for anyone goes through their lives.Do you even fit in at all or what defines who you are?It's a real challenge within the US and once you accepted it.You should be very proud and just keep moving on;the westernized thinking in a nutshell.

It's best to come to see it for yourself.

Same goes for myself,what is Japan about?Cultural way of thinking,etc.I am hoping one day to come back after the situation in Japan stablized alittle bit.Because in Japan its totally different from most countries.When under a crisis,I was amazed they still waited a long line not fighting to the front like most people in the world.That's excellent self-obedience right there and no cell-phone on the subway;hey,everyone needs some personal space buddy!Even for a short pitstop in Narita,Japan airport they were very hospitable to me and I definitely would like to come back again.They do have a strict constitutional monarchy.Each person is pretty much cataloged and tagged;so I am curious where I fit in?Besides foreign traveler.....

Just a side note,I'm not sure if anyone watching Jin season 2 the ending theme sung by Ken Hirai has a certain voice where my own voice kinds of fits in and sounds similar;has alittle bit a hoarse vocal.After listening to my previous singing a long time ago.
    Last edited by mind_wander; 05-30-11 at 01:44 PM.
    Check out: http://samthetypist.spaces.live.com/ ; Currently under construction;Check out http://www.soundclick.com/spcnet07 , provided by Sugar.

No one will admit it, but I do believe many Asians do a lot of cosmetic surgery to look more westernized. Consciously, Asians are proud of who they are but let's face it, wanting to be whiter, having 2 eyelids, a higher nose and the trend of changing one's hair colour to brownish is what I call westernized features. You can deny all you want, I don't buy it.
    My obsessions: Joy Division, New Order, Bones, The Office.

Do bears bear? Do bees bee?

Quote Originally Posted by kay &!* View Post
    this shit is so annoying. so when white girls tan, do they want to look like black girls?

asians get their eyes done because it looks BETTER and white girls JUST SO happen to have them. it's like saying white girls get lips injection to look like angelina jolie (albiet, who wouldn't). they get them to get fuller looking lips, angie just so happen to be blessed with 'em.

But the question is, what is the definition of "BETTER". Double eyelids, bigger eyes, pointier noses, etc are more characteristic of caucasian features than asian features--so in a way, it is looking more causasian.

But then on the other hand, perhaps it's just a concept of "rarity=better" or "exotic=better". Perhaps asians like double eyelids simply because not everyone has them. Or they enjoy dying their hair color because everyone else's is black and they want to look different. Or perhaps they like the 'western features" simply because to them, it looks "exotic".

I wish my nose is smaller. Some of my relatives went under the knife to fix their noses. I admit that their new nose really enhances their beauty. I personally wouldn't have surgery done.

I used to dislike my dark complexion and wished that I was lighter, mostly cause everybody around me kept talking as if having dark skin was a crime. Now I really don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    Wanting whiter skin is part of Asian culture and has been that way for millenniums way before they have any contact with any Caucasian, it has nothing to do with wanting to have western look. I am personally against plastic surgery as there are serious consequences to it. I would never want to put myself under a knife. There is no need to have a perfect image. In fact, the more plastic surgeries you have the more ugly you are in the long run. However, I have nothing against people who have plastic surgery as I don't force my personal belief onto others.
    Being whiter was a large part of Western culture prior to the 21st century too. Aristocrats (females anyway) walked around wearing bonnets and had parasols to protect their complexion from the sun, in case they freckle or tan. I think it's a rumour, but apparantly tanning became vogue after Coco Chanel fell asleep on a sundeck in San Tropez or somewhere and came away with a tan, thus making it fashionable to be gold/brown. After all, in those days, only those with money could afford to go on holiday to a warmer place and catch some sun.

I have nothing against plastic surgery but wouldn't never consider it myself. If people want to take the risk under the knife for cosmetic reasons, it's up to them. Plus sometimes there can be valid reasons for plastic surgery - 'most plastic surgery is not cosmetic: plastic surgery includes many types of reconstructive surgery, hand surgery, microsurgery, and the treatment of burns'. I know for a fact one of my friends (who have small slanted eyes) had to undergo surgery because her lashes, being poker straight, grew into her eyes rather than away from.

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Ying Ying View Post
    But then on the other hand, perhaps it's just a concept of "rarity=better" or "exotic=better". Perhaps asians like double eyelids simply because not everyone has them. Or they enjoy dying their hair color because everyone else's is black and they want to look different. Or perhaps they like the 'western features" simply because to them, it looks "exotic".
    I definitely agree with the hair thing! I grew up in Europe and am used to seeing tons of different coloured hair. Whenever I go back to China, the sea of black heads are so confusing and I can hardly recognise anyone that way. It takes me ages to learn faces in China -_-;

Is the double eye lids thing really that rare? All the dramas I've watched feature girls with those large eyes (of course, they may have been selected for because of that fact), and so are most of the Asian youtube gurus I've come across.