Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Please stop cultural genocide in Toronto!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang View Post
    I don't think so. I believe it's just a ritual to show how affluence the family of the bridegroom (and bride) is/are because sharks fin is considered a delicacy, a luxury. So having the dish ups your social status.
    Lesser now. If one wants to show social status, one can hold the wedding in a high-class hotel? exotic place? instead of using shark fin as a guide today.

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang View Post
    I don't think so. I believe it's just a ritual to show how affluence the family of the bridegroom (and bride) is/are because sharks fin is considered a delicacy, a luxury. So having the dish ups your social status.
    It might be a ritual to show affluence in the past.That I don't know. But, now, it's a fix wedding dish and it always the second dish in a course. Doesn't matter what social status bridegroom and bride are in. They will have shark fin soup in their wedding dinner. But, I think most of them are not real shark fin. Just immitation shark fin cook in shark fin soup style.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    Since you are Mongolian, not Chinese (Teochew), you will never understand how important shark fin soup is in our culture.
    Huh.....wuh?

I'm Teochew, but I don't hear my family complaining about not having shark fin soup to eat. Please stop giving us a bad name.

BTW, has anyone tried Shark's fins melon? It is a large roundish melon which has flesh that is in strands like the shark fin. You boil it in soup and it tastes great! Not as much texture but yummy! i tried it with Supreme Stock last week.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

Please stop shark genocide.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
    Yes, sounds more logical.

Ah... I wish there's a Like button here so I can click it for your post.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Being a Chinese person living in Toronto, I can say that shark fin soup is not the absolute epitome of Chinese culture, nor is it an omnipresent symbol of Chinese culture in Toronto.

And a part of the shark fin problem does come from the finners (is that a word?), but restaurants and consumers are certainly encouraging it. As long as there is demand, supply will be there one way or another.

Personally, I don't like this ban because I think the soup tastes great, but I guess there are more important things than how good my soup tastes.
    我是个疯子疯子疯子只爱你的疯子 你是个傻子傻子傻子傻的却好懂事
    要爱你一辈子 写爱你的故事 在我心里承诺了几千次

Speaking of Toronto, I'm actually headed there in 2012 for two years! How many Toronto folk are on spcnet anyhow?
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Wo Xing View Post
    Speaking of Toronto, I'm actually headed there in 2012 for two years! How many Toronto folk are on spcnet anyhow?
    Jaded is from Toronto. Maybe we can do a meet up! I misssss you!

So fast you are leaving Malaysia already?

Quite a few it seems. I only had the pleasure of being there for two days but how lucky you are! It seems like a wonderful city to live in!
    I like me.

A lot from what I can remember. Though none of us ever met I don't think.

Quote Originally Posted by jadebunny9 View Post
    Jaded is from Toronto. Maybe we can do a meet up! I misssss you!
    Yup. Your second sentence confused me a for a second there, because I thought it implied that you're here too!
    Because I'm somewhere in between,
    My love and my agony.

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    So fast you are leaving Malaysia already?
    It's been almost a year and a half now, so not that fast. And I still haven't met up with Master Huang! Time really does fly...

And yes, a meetup in Toronto is/will be necessary!
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

Quote Originally Posted by charbydis View Post
    What? So only people from Teochew are worthy to debate the topic and everyone else's opinion doesn't matter cos they aren't Teochew? Then you should have put it in your thread title then - "Non-Teochew posts not allowed".

And for your information, I only have small part of Mongolian blood from many generations ago and am majority Han (which you would have known if you read my posts carefully instead of focussing on a sentence or two). I have every right to be called a Chinese so stop saying that will never understand chinese culture. Chinese culture is not exclusive to only Teochew people.
    I thought you are full Mongolian from Mongolia so I assume you don't know how important shark fin soup is to the Culture.

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    I'm Chinese (cantonese) and love shark fin soup. But, I can do without it. They can use some other material to replace the shark fin and cook it using the way they cook shark fin soup. That's enough for me.

It's nothing to do with culture. You just love shark fin soup and don't want to abandon it.
    Quote Originally Posted by wkeej View Post
    I'm Hokkien and I love shark fin too. Like kidd, I can live without it. :-)
    Shark fin is possibly part of Chinese wedding culture. But today fewer and fewer Chinese weddings offer this dish.
    Wedding is very important and Shark Fin soup has been the main dish for the wedding for milleniums.

Quote Originally Posted by charbydis View Post
    While I don't think that there should be a 100% total ban on Shark's fin but I think consumers need to be more conscious of its effect on the environment as well. Having Shark's fin at big occasions is great, but no need to have it everyday. (I haven't eaten for like 1.5 years already at some wedding) It is a luxury but not a necessity. The nutrients it supplies can be obtained through other foods. People can survive without eating shark's fin, just like they do without eating bear paw, cats, dogs and 100 year old tortoises. Culture is important but so is the environment and the changes in society values.

I think people should eat less of it and if the shark number situation does not get any better, then go for the 100% total ban. I am interested to see what will happen if Toronto does go ahead with it though.
    If Toronto goes ahead with it then restaurants in the area will lose a lot of business. Most Chinese would choose to have their banquets in other restaurants where shark fin soup is available.

Quote Originally Posted by jadebunny9 View Post
    Huh.....wuh?

I'm Teochew, but I don't hear my family complaining about not having shark fin soup to eat. Please stop giving us a bad name.
    Everyone is different. Your family has every right to not consume shark fin soup just like other people should have a right to consume them. It should be up to the people to choose.

If consuming shark is shark genocide and should be stop then people should stop eating and starve to death people consuming anything is genocide against that particular thing. The reason they want to ban shark fin is because they themselves don't consume it. If you tell them that beef should be banned, they would be outraged and telling you it's none of your business that they consuming beef.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon Heiress View Post
    Being a Chinese person living in Toronto, I can say that shark fin soup is not the absolute epitome of Chinese culture, nor is it an omnipresent symbol of Chinese culture in Toronto.

And a part of the shark fin problem does come from the finners (is that a word?), but restaurants and consumers are certainly encouraging it. As long as there is demand, supply will be there one way or another.

Personally, I don't like this ban because I think the soup tastes great, but I guess there are more important things than how good my soup tastes.
    They should go after people who finning the shark and throw the rest back to the ocean not the consumers and restaurants who do nothing wrong. Sure, there are more important things out there, but it doesn't mean it's ok for them to genocide part of my culture.

Wedding is very important and Shark Fin soup has been the main dish for the wedding for milleniums.
    Yes, I agree that wedding is very important and shark fin soup has been the main dish. But, from my observations, more and more young couples are not serving this dish. They have replaced with e.g. fish roe (hopefully this is the correct word) soup and sometimes buddha jumps over the wall (minus the shark fin of course).

Quote Originally Posted by wkeej View Post
    Yes, I agree that wedding is very important and shark fin soup has been the main dish. But, from my observations, more and more young couples are not serving this dish. They have replaced with e.g. fish roe (hopefully this is the correct word) soup and sometimes buddha jumps over the wall (minus the shark fin of course).
    I have nothing against people who do the replacement as they have every right to do so. For people who think shark fin is bad, don't consume it. However, they should respect other people culture and should not try to take away other people right as it's none of their business.

If consuming shark is shark genocide and should be stop then people should stop eating and starve to death people consuming anything is genocide against that particular thing. The reason they want to ban shark fin is because they themselves don't consume it. If you tell them that beef should be banned, they would be outraged and telling you it's none of your business that they consuming beef.
    I don't think anyone's breeding sharks, that's why, while cows are bred in large numbers and is in no danger of going extinct. Sharks, however, are in danger of extinction.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

They should go after people who finning the shark and throw the rest back to the ocean not the consumers and restaurants who do nothing wrong. Sure, there are more important things out there, but it doesn't mean it's ok for them to genocide part of my culture.
    You totally missed the point of my post. o.o There is no way to stop finning if there are consumers out there. It's supply/demand.
    我是个疯子疯子疯子只爱你的疯子 你是个傻子傻子傻子傻的却好懂事
    要爱你一辈子 写爱你的故事 在我心里承诺了几千次

Milleniums?

Ok, I take it you are just exaggerating for effect.

But, it's still not true. Shark Fin soup only dates back to the Ming Dynasty and last time only the rich people eat. So, it's not the main dish in wedding for milleniums. Many chinese people in the olden days couldn't even afford to have chicken in the menu, let alone shark fin soup.