Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HSDS2000 Review

Angry HSDS2000 Review

First let me get this out of my system after reading the review http://www.spcnet.tv/tvb_yitin00d.shtml :

Absolute no offense to the reviewer but she give rate it 5 stars? Good lord!

Not only that but to say Lawerence was better than Tony Leung and Adam Cheng? Charmaine was actually great at portraying Chu Chi Yerk? Sheren Tang was ten folds better at portraying Chu Chi Yerk than Charmaine can ever do in her whole acting career.

Gigi Lai was good as Chiu Man but I still see some flaws.

Personally I prefered Simon Yam and DoDo Cheng as Cheung Chui San and Yan Soso and I think the Mo Dang 7 Heroes of HSDS86' looked their part more than those extra's that played Mo Dang Heroes. Those so called actors, did not look the part and certainly did not act the part. In HSDS 86, we saw more brotherhood between all seven heroes and more heroicness than these background furniture type actors who just stood there and watch everything happen to Cheung Chui San dying. I remembered 1986 version had six heroes crowding around while this new version just stood there...and then the 86' version even comforted Yan SoSo, if i remembered right...dah...

I KNOW that we all have the right of having our own opinions but OMG did hell just freezed over when HSDS2000 got a five star review?

Even Jin Yong the creator/Author did not like HSDS2000. Didn't he disallow TVB making adaptations of his novels after HSDS2000 was made?

HSDS is far from the most perfect adaptation or series! It's the worst! I just can't stand or sit here and not express my opposition towards this review. Again. I'm not here to flame or curse the reviewer. I just CAN NOT agree to giving this below mediocore series FIVE wholesome stars!

In my book, I'd give it half a star just to be nice.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Welll.. WK... no worries.. you are not the only one who hated this version.

But I think some people are biased towards for certain series.. look... ROCH TW version got 5 stars review too... why couldn't HSDS2000 get 5 stars?? (I am being sarcastic here)

Reviews are all biased I think.
    Please email me with questions. Do not use PM here.

pls girls... everyone entitled their opinion...

back w/ a vengeance ^_^

Originally posted by Floo..
    pls girls... everyone entitled their opinion...

Ooo Floo! Where have you been lately? Anyway, I've stated within my post above that I know everyone is entitled to their own opinion but still!!! It's just after I read the review, I just couldn't believe it!

You know I finally got a chance to watch Harry Potter 2 and they mentioned you in the movie! Don't know if you've seen it or not but they were traveling by "Floo powder" haha..I immediately thought of u.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Default Re: HSDS2000 Review

Originally posted by Suet Seung

HSDS is far from the most perfect adaptation or series! It's the worst!
    actually, i would think that the ROCH richie ren version is the worst adaptation of jin yong haha. well at least i think so
    This message has NOT been edited by Chris26356

Actually, I like the HSDS 2000 more than the older one. I only saw the older one for 5 minutes, and I can't stand it. The fighting are just so lame and fake. I don't like the cast in it too. BUt that's only my opion.
    "I will punish the evil and protect the weak, superboy is in a winning streak. The sky's peak is what I seek"

Originally posted by superboy
    Actually, I like the HSDS 2000 more than the older one. I only saw the older one for 5 minutes, and I can't stand it. The fighting are just so lame and fake. I don't like the cast in it too. BUt that's only my opion.
    You're talking about the Steve Ma version right? B/c if you are, I am totally agreeing.

I am really really surprised at some of the reviews at this site.

These are the series that got perfect 5 stars:
    1. HSDS 2000
    2. Chor Lau Heung 2001
    3. Legend of the Condor Lovers (hahahahahah, vomiting.)
    4. The Duke of Mountain Deer 2000 (I surely like the humor, but it just can't get whole 5 because of the plot, it doesn't follow the novel.)
    5. Legend of 8 Immortals. (HAHAHA., vomits out again.)
    6. Legend of Dagger Lee (Sure, the series was somewhat good, but the plot, doesn't follow the novel. Have respect directors.)
    Beauty is not in the face;
    beauty is a light in the heart.

-It's beauty that captures your attention; personality which captures your heart.

I have to agree with Suet Seung. I liked the Tony version better. I wonder what they were thinking casting Lawrence Ng, he looks way to old. I also preferred Simon Yam and Dodo Cheng, I thought Damian Lau and Michelle Mai looked way to old too and I hated the way they portrayed the love story between them, it was too long and kind of silly. Also their death scene wasn't very sad, in the '86 version I actually cried, it was very touching. The casting in the '86 version was better and it was more exciting. I think the 2000 version is one of the worst remakes ever.

I think this is one of the series where there are two sides of people. One side that like it a lot, and the other side that because of it. I think it was good though.
    "I will punish the evil and protect the weak, superboy is in a winning streak. The sky's peak is what I seek"

I also cannot agree with the reviewer's idea. How come HSDS2000 got 5 stars? Again, yes, Taiwanese ROCH cannot also get 5 stars? Both of them should go to trash. They do not deserve any stars. How can Richie Ren compare with Andy Lau? How can Lawrence Ng plays CMK? He even came from Tony Leung's generation. I really curious whether TVB can find any young man to play CMK. This version makes me really miss Tony Leung version. Fortunately, I still can find the VCD of this version.
    I also agree that Sheren Tang made a superb job in HSDS 86 as well as Kitty Lai.

Originally posted by superboy
    I think this is one of the series where there are two sides of people. One side that like it a lot, and the other side that because of it. I think it was good though.
    yup yup yup.... in every subject there is pro and cons. I myself, I like it a lot as a drama (not a wuxia series), and i gave it four stars.

anyway, guys, pls feel free to talk but dont be too hars, okie?

WK: huahahaha.... thx to remember me!!!!!
    back w/ a vengeance ^_^

Actually, by today's standards it wasn't a bad show. Probably not 5 stars, but better than average.

I was also an impressionable youth in the 80s, and as far as I was concerned, TVB reached the peak of its quality in the 80s when a whole bunch of amazing actors and actresses dominated the entire Hong Kong TV industry. Then the 90s came and all these great actors/actresses either retired or moved on to crappy, stupid, meaningless big-screen adaptations which make me cry at the waste of talent.

This next generation aren't anywhere close to the talent of the 80s, and as such to judge the quality of an actor in the 90s as compared to an actor in the 80s is like judging the technology and picture sharpness of the 80s compared with the 90s. Sometimes when I watch 80s serials they seem very fuzzy and a bit blur, and they speak too slow but they had great actors and great soundtracks (although HSDS 86 soundtrack was not as good as some of the others). As a series HSDS 2000 wasn't as far behind HSDS 86 as some people would say, it just didn't have that many great actors in the show.

There are people who say that HSDS 86 was the best ever, but I remember when it first came out people were saying it couldn't compare with 79, it's a matter of preference. HSDS 86 just happened to be released during the golden age of TVB when they could do no wrong, and all of us are still pining for that era.

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Liew; 08-21-03 at 06:40 AM.

Yeah... ow yeah...

I love HSDS 79 soundtrack till death...

BTW, why do they (TVB, etc) never ever ever filmed the last battle in the Shao Lin sophisticately? They omit the part when Dragon sabre was repaired, when the Golden Flag (??) of Ming Clan showed off their power etc?

Grrrr....

If any adaptation managed to show those scenes well, then it will be the best adaptation for me :P
    back w/ a vengeance ^_^

Actually I really want to see Louis Cha made another novel to tell the story during the period between ROCH and HSDS. Imagine that Gwok Jing and Huang Rong were both the top in the martial arts world during that period. How could they die? It's impossible unless Mongolia can find someone even better than the Golden Whell Monk. Moreover, I also want to know the life of YG and XLN after ROCH. They might go back to the tomb but I don't think that they didn't hear anything about the war with Mongolia. If YG knew about this, I am quite sure that he would come out of the tomb.

Thai Guy: Just cos Guo Jing and Huang Rong were extremely good at martial arts doesn't mean that they liev for ever. if i remember correctly, they were 80 something when they killed themselves cos they lost the city.

Call me strange, but I seem to like the 79 version more than the 86 one. There is no particular reason, except that I thought Kitty Lai didn't really suit the chracter of Zhao Min. And the theme song is better.

HSDS 2000 really me. The Ming Sect just seemed like a bunch of people who just happened to be at the same place at the same time. There is not much chemistry between the supporting actors.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

Why do you guys hate HSDS 2000 anyway? Other than Lawrence Ng being too old, I think that most of the casts did pretty well. Like you guys said, older actors are usually more talented, so Lawrence Ng is at least a decent actor. What is in the older version that make it better anyway. I find some people say that DGSD'82 is better than DGSD'97, which I think in my opinion is not true. I found that older version very boring and like the '97 version a lot more. Some people seem to always think that the older ones are better mainly because they watched it first and became irreplacible in their memory. Like why I don't feel right seeing Sonjia Kwok as a good character. After seeing her in "THe Legend of Love" and"Perish under the name of Love" she don't seem to convinceing to me being a good charcter.

I hate HSDS 2000 mainly because of a lot of miscasts. Obviously, Charmain Sheh cannot be compared with Sheren Tang in 1986 version. Sheren Tang was much more better. Kitty Lai also played the role to perfect. What else? Obviously, Tony Leung is more suitable for CMK than Lawrence Ng. This is not to say about Tony's acting skills. Regarding DGSD, yes DGSD 1997 is good. However, DGSD 82 was also very good. Leung Ka Yan did a good job as Siu Fung. Mu Rong Fu in 82 version is much better than Mu Rong Fu in 1997 version. Idy Chan portrayed WYY far more better than Carmen Lee because Carmen, as usual, portrayed her role like a robot. In conclusion, I can say that the casts in 1982 version of DGSD were much more attractive and powerful than DGSD 1997 version.

The casts of '82 is better? I think Felix did a perfect Xiao Feng and most of the casts were pretty good with a few exception. The hand to hand combat of the older version was so fake and the whole thing wasn't very exciting. Plus it doesn't even stick to the novel. TVB made up the last part. If the series were new to me and I only saw both of the adaptation's first episode, I think I will chase for the '97 version first. The story of '82 are just so slow and the actings were good, but there are just not as much suspense.

I prefered HSDS 79 - Sheren Tang was good, but not as good as Theresa Zhao. Kitty Lai was very good, but then so were Gigi Lai and Lisa Wang. HSDS 86 was state of the art for 1986, but still had that "copy" tag attached to it, so maybe I'm still too sentimental about the old version, even though it was *slow* - watching Song Yuenchiao take about 15 seconds real-time to do a leap is really something. That was one thing I hated about LOCH 94, when Guo Jing struck Mei Chaofeng with his silent palm - he leapt for like 30 seconds to one minute in slow motion before striking her, normal in a 70s series but unforgiveable in a 90s series.

HSDS 2000 was very enjoyable. Maybe because I'm used to watching the same stories again and again, and watching remakes and just enjoying them for what they are. I initially tried to avoid it, but I accidentally stumbled upon my family watching an episode, and after that I got hooked, not because it was brilliantly filmed, not because I thought that it was the best, but because I enjoyed it. The 80s versions were great, but by today's standards they feel very slow.

Ian

I agree. People always say that the older versions were better because they have better plot or the actors are more talented. Like Gwok Jing and Wong Yung of '82 starred by Felix Wong and Barbara Yung is really a lot better than the 94 version, but I still enjoyed that version too. There are always advantages and disadvantages when older and newer series are to be compared. Namely the casts, speed of story, computer effect, excitement of fighting scenes (in Wuxia), and the realisticness of the backgroud, equipments and etc. People mainly complained about the cast of the newer version of HSDS. I'm not to familiar with the older one, but people may be compareing the personality of the cast of the older version to the newer one which is not fair. Because they are different people. If the cast of the older version where to imitate the newer cast, then they can have a hard time too. Just because the older cast people act like type A doesn't mean that the newer cast can't act like type B. Older series are not suppose to be used as a reference because the cast of the newer version are not trying to imitate them. HSDS is from the novel, not originated from the older series.