View Poll Results: Should we get tougher with graffiti?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, stiffer penalties

5 100.00%
  • No.

0 0%
  • Others. Explain.

0 0%

Thread: GRAFFITI

Default GRAFFITI

Should we get tougher with graffiti?

Graffiti refers to images or lettering scratched, scrawled, painted or marked on property. Although it's against the law, it has a popular following, and in many Canadian/US cities graffiti is on the rise.

Some people insist we must get tougher with those who produce graffiti by increasing law enforcement and by introducing stiffer penalties. They say graffiti is an eyesore and is costly to clean up.

Others insist that most graffiti writers (or taggers, as they are often called) are not criminals and their work adds to the uniqueness and cultural interest of a city. The get-tough approach is a waste of time and resources, they argue.

What do you think?

---------------------`-------------------

While I acknowledge some graffiti artists have talent as I myself unable to produce the pictures/art like the way they have done, but I don't think they have the right to create the picture on other people properties. They can do it on their personal properties, not others. I am all for stiffer penalties.

I am against graffiti too. From a personal point of view:
    - most graffiti are an eyesore
    - some of them are pretty yes, but don't affect me any more positively than a blank canvas
    - the clean up costs are paid by my tax money
    - the cost of the equipment/paint can be better used elsewhere, and if it's from welfare money, then again it's coming from my tax money
    Member of HYS fanclub -> click here to join group.

Member of TC fanclub.

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    Should we get tougher with graffiti?

Graffiti refers to images or lettering scratched, scrawled, painted or marked on property. Although it's against the law, it has a popular following, and in many Canadian/US cities graffiti is on the rise.

Some people insist we must get tougher with those who produce graffiti by increasing law enforcement and by introducing stiffer penalties. They say graffiti is an eyesore and is costly to clean up.

Others insist that most graffiti writers (or taggers, as they are often called) are not criminals and their work adds to the uniqueness and cultural interest of a city. The get-tough approach is a waste of time and resources, they argue.

What do you think?

---------------------`-------------------

While I acknowledge some graffiti artists have talent as I myself unable to produce the pictures/art like the way they have done, but I don't think they have the right to create the picture on other people properties. They can do it on their personal properties, not others. I am all for stiffer penalties.
    My answer?

Whip them.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Wuxiapedia

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

Quote Originally Posted by Han Solo View Post
    Oh this type I don't mind! Looks cool!
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

It should depend on the quality of the graffiti. The penalty should be reverse-proportional to the quality. The higher the quality, the lesser the penalty. The uglier the graffiti the stiffer the penalty.
    Last edited by kidd; 09-07-11 at 06:52 AM.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-dGItCBQRp48/Tb2kDDPlW6I/AAAAAAAAABE/RRBAnqwcX-k/s1600/article-1024884-0185F25600000578-477_468x420.jpg')

While I acknowledge the picture is beautiful, something I am unable to do but I still against it as they do it in the public property. If that person wants to show his talent, he should go to art school, not by damaging other people property.

Quote Originally Posted by yittz View Post
    I am against graffiti too. From a personal point of view:
    - most graffiti are an eyesore
    - some of them are pretty yes, but don't affect me any more positively than a blank canvas
    - the clean up costs are paid by my tax money
    - the cost of the equipment/paint can be better used elsewhere, and if it's from welfare money, then again it's coming from my tax money
    Agree. I would like to add that I wouldn't want pictures on my property regardless of how beautiful they are.

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    It should depend on the quality of the graffiti. The penalty should be reverse-proportional to the quality. The higher the quality, the lesser the penalty. The uglier the graffiti the stiffer the penalty.
    Beautiful is in the eye of the beholder, who are you to judge? The penalty should be based on the size of the picture, the larger the picture the harsher the penalty, not the quality.
    Last edited by Trien Chieu; 09-07-11 at 09:45 AM.

Banksy is awesome and I don't mind having an original Banksy's work on my property (of course, with my consent). My opinion is that graffiti is a form of art.
    Less Than Perfect

Graffiti is vandalism. It may be tastefully done at times, and the end result might even seem desirable to some, but it is just vandalism. It's like someone walked up to my car and spray painted it to look like Lightning McQueen.

There should be designated spots for people to express themselves though - like in KL, the walls to the side of the river near the Pasar Seni LRT station is full of graffiti. Not sure if it's legal, but the whole stretch is painted, and it does look nice. It's also a wall where people don't normally walk past or see, but can see clearly from the distance and safety of the LRT train. This is also a factor, as graffiti makes people feel unsafe, that someone can vandalise the walls which you are walking past without anyone stopping them could mean that anything can happen to you on that same street and nobody would care.

This is the work of a guy who lives around here

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.samuraigraphix.com/media/graff_battle2009/scribe.jpg')

I think it is great art, and his murals are all over town, and they are protected. I don't think his work is graffiti though...

However, there is another side to graffiti which is the whole gang side which I hate. People who "tag" to claim territory are thugs and need to be punished harshly.
    --=={Grundle}==--