Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 《大漠谣》 Da Mo Yao Novel Discussion (SPOILER WARNING!)

Can someone tell me what happened in the Yun Zhong Ge ending that was so horrible if anyone's read it?
    我是个疯子疯子疯子只爱你的疯子 你是个傻子傻子傻子傻的却好懂事
    要爱你一辈子 写爱你的故事 在我心里承诺了几千次

i'm finally here.. finally completed the novel.. i found book 2 so much nicer than book 1! HuoYu ftw! but i prefer bbjx as a book though... i actually find MJ's character quite interesting.. i dont ship him with jin yu at all.. but his final sacrifice.. oh man i felt SO SAD FOR HIM. T.T

i dont get why li yan suddenly had a conscience makeover though.. she was going all out to do jin yu harm and then suddenly she draws back because she's dying? did i miss something?

oh and i kinda missed this in the initial part (but i am too lazy to flip through the book to find it again) but what attracted li gan to the handkerchief again? why did he and li yan have a story? *confused*

Quote Originally Posted by thesolangestory View Post
    oh and i kinda missed this in the initial part (but i am too lazy to flip through the book to find it again) but what attracted li gan to the handkerchief again? why did he and li yan have a story? *confused*
    Li Gan fell in love with her because of the "Li" her surname that was embroidered onto her handkerchief. I think partially might be because of the vines embroidered onto it too because that's what caught Jin Yu's eyes. She said that normal girls would have flowers, but Li Yan had vines embroidered on hers. I think he expected her to be a special girl, so he wanted to see the owner of the handkerchief, but the Jin Yu had someone else go in her way. When he saw Li Yan on her first appearance before the emperor, he basically just felt/knew that it was her.

I just finished part 1 of DMY. Just listening to the audcast, the end of part 1 can bring you to tears. If only Meng Jiu had understood Jin Yu more. I really hope they'll be able to really bring Meng Jiu to life. In the beginning I always feel sad for HQB whenever thinks of or runs to Jiu Ye in front of him, but the feeling wasn't too bad because you know eventually she'll turn around and see him. For Meng Jiu it's seems like it'll be different, he'd probably have a glass panel preventing him from reaching her.
    Last edited by chancy426; 02-28-12 at 10:33 PM.

Can you summarize the plot for 《三生三世,十里桃花》? After the first 2 chapters, I had no idea what was going on. It seemed like the chapters kept on switching perspectives.

I guess I should find some easier reading material. It's interesting how there are so many time travel related stories.

Quote Originally Posted by H.Ge-C.Liu View Post
    Book recommendations
    Personally, I haven't finished reading Song in the Clouds (YZG) yet, but another good read would be 《三生三世,十里桃花》 (Three Lives Three Worlds, Ten Miles of Peach Blossoms) by 唐七公子 (Tang Qi Gong Zi). If you're interested after reading the plot, I can give you the online reading site. Both Chinesechik and I loved it.
    Tang Ren is planning to adapt it, and start filming sometime soon-at least I hope it's sometime soon, since they bought the rights in 2008, the same year as BBJX. A movie wouldn't take as long to prepare and plan (筹备) as a drama, right?

If TLTW isn't appealing, then my next choice would be 《东宫》 by 匪我思存, author of many other books like 《佳期如梦》,《千山暮雪》etc. which have all been adapted into dramas. Eastern Palace will also be adapted into a drama, starting late this year.

If you search the book titles up in baike.baidu, related information and the synopsis should be on there.

Quote Originally Posted by zinnias8 View Post
    Can you summarize the plot for 《三生三世,十里桃花》? After the first 2 chapters, I had no idea what was going on. It seemed like the chapters kept on switching perspectives.

I guess I should find some easier reading material. It's interesting how there are so many time travel related stories.
    it is actually all from the same perspective (spoiler?). i think you just have to read on a bit and then everything will clear up. or read the last part of the prolouge/1st chapter carefully again.
    Watch out! Dihydrogen Monoxide will kill us all!

H.Ge-C.Liu - do you know where I can get an English translated portion or summary of the last few chapters? Ms. Koala who was doing Eng translations has quit at Chapter 27 and I'm dying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please - help a fellow bibliophile out!!!

This is the ending to Yun Zhong Ge. I didn't read the whole book, I just read the last 2 chapters and what other people said. So this is what I gathered happened.

click to show/hide spoilers
    At the end of book 2 Ling gege dies from poisoning, leaving Yun Ge pregnant with his child. In book 3 Yun Ge marries(?) Meng Jue, but then finds out Meng Jue and Huo Chen Jun give her some medicine that aborted her baby. Even though this was to save her life on Meng Jue's part, it just made her feel more hopeless. She tried to exact revenge on those who she thought took Ling gege and her unborn child from her. But at the end Yun Ge realizes she herself unknowing play a part in the poisoning of Ling gege due to her naivete and leaves Chang An, deciding to live the rest of her life just holding onto her memories with Ling Gege. Meanwhile Meng Jue dies by the order of the new emperor, Liu Xun. Anyway none of the major characters ended up happy.
    Last edited by ladyofshalott; 03-06-12 at 12:17 AM.

Mskoala has translate to ch29 + ch1 of YZG

Quote Originally Posted by believer020 View Post
    H.Ge-C.Liu - do you know where I can get an English translated portion or summary of the last few chapters? Ms. Koala who was doing Eng translations has quit at Chapter 27 and I'm dying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please - help a fellow bibliophile out!!!

Hi everyone,I just recently started reading the english translations for DMY, and fell totally in love with it. I really wanted to know what sacrifices 9 ye made for Jin yu that had people change their views on him.

I finally finished DMY last night. I cried so much for Jiu Ye out of admiration and heartbreak. I wouldn't be so heartbroken for him if his mistake had been more severe, but he let go of Jin Yu out of selflessness, so this type of punishment is really too heavy. Even the happy ending for HQB and Jin Yu was not enough to cover the heartbreak I feel for Jiu Ye.

Any idea what is different in the new edited version of DMY. I prefer 'Ballad of the Desert' as a translation.

Quote Originally Posted by karma360 View Post
    Hi everyone,I just recently started reading the english translations for DMY, and fell totally in love with it. I really wanted to know what sacrifices 9 ye made for Jin yu that had people change their views on him.
    He shut down all his business dealings and planned to take her away where she wanted while he went to great lengths to look for her after he realised he really loved her. When he knew JY was firm with her choice of HQB, he let her go, wishing her happiness. He saved the son of JY n HQB and took care of him. He also risked his life to save HQB twice, the second time his legs became totally paralyzed but he kept this from her...

Quote Originally Posted by Mangoberrie View Post
    Any idea what is different in the new edited version of DMY. I prefer 'Ballad of the Desert' as a translation.
    Not sure, but Tong Hua advised via weibo 'people who have the old version don't need to buy the new version. The old version is fine.' So I'm guessing that it won't be that different, unlike the BBJX new edition.
    Biases: Hu Ge, Qiao Zhenyu, Liu Shi Shi
    Jiang Hu Fansubs - Recruiting members (especially translators).

I've just started reading the DMY translations, and yeow- the scenes are a lot bolder and steamier than in BBJX XD

I kind of think that this novel is sort of a wish-fulfillment thing on TH's part since she's a HQB fan girl, and although I do find the wolf aspect a bit unrealistic, but I don't really mind since the novel is pretty enjoyable so far and it adds to JY's feisty personality.

And I do like the idea of a happy ending, so....

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon Heiress View Post
    Can someone tell me what happened in the Yun Zhong Ge ending that was so horrible if anyone's read it?
    I'm sorry if my response is somewhat scattered, but this is pretty much what happens.
    click to show/hide spoilers
    So Liu Fu Ling dies of posioning in the 2nd book. Yun Ge has his child, but Meng Jue and Huo Cheng Jun force her to abort it. Huo Cheng Jun marries Liu Bing Yi, who becomes emperor. At one point, Liu Bing Yi and Xu Ping Jun, his empress, get into a fight and he pretty much ignores her. Xu Ping Jun finds out that Liu Bing Yi played a major part in Liu Fu Ling's death, and used her as well, so in her dying moments, she wouldn't see him. Hong Yi dies at some point in the book, and Liu He was imprisoned but Yun Ge saves him and he goes back to his fief in depression. When Meng Jue leaves the palace, Liu Bing Yi has him shot by arrows. When he dies, he thinks about Yun Ge's parting words, about how she said she will forget everything except for Liu Fu Ling. When Huo Cheng Jun heard about Meng Jue's death, she hanged herself. Liu Bing Yi goes back to the tree where they buried their wishes and finds that even if he has the throne, he can't go back to the past. Shang Guan Xiao Mei would never use the decree Liu Fu Ling gave her to leave the palace because she is happy with the memories of him there and doesn't want to leave.

I cried for Meng Jiu because of his sacrifice for Jin Yu

It said Song in the Cloud have the new version.. will this one have a happy ending.. unlike the pass version..
    have anyone read it yet???
    all the spoiler said that the ending from "Song in the Cloud" is very sad...
    I don't like sad ending..

Quote Originally Posted by H.Ge-C.Liu View Post
    Everyone has their own opinions about the leads after reading the book. Truth be told, my opinions are the opposite, as I don't really dislike any of the main characters in DMY.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tong Hua has republished Da Mo Yao (after 5 yrs of editing).
    Tong Hua's editors have translated DMY into: 'The Song of Desert'
    Chinese amazon: http://www.amazon.cn/%E5%A4%A7%E6%BC...0150966&sr=8-2
    Out soon:
    The second book of 山经海纪
    被时光掩埋的秘密 (Secrets hidden by time) new version.
    云中歌 (Song in the Clouds) new version.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ww2.sinaimg.cn/large/499b1668tw1dqdyds80cwj.jpg')

Just finished reading this novel and I think it is Great! One of the best novels I have read so far!

Want to ask. Which story a better read? Da Mo Yao or Yun Zhong Ge? I initially want to buy Yun Zhong Ge because it has Han Xuan Di as one of the major characters. But, I couldn't find the book, so, I bought Da Mo Yao instead. But, feeling wise, I'm still more leaning towards Yun Zhong Ge.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    Want to ask. Which story a better read? Da Mo Yao or Yun Zhong Ge? I initially want to buy Yun Zhong Ge because it has Han Xuan Di as one of the major characters. But, I couldn't find the book, so, I bought Da Mo Yao instead. But, feeling wise, I'm still more leaning towards Yun Zhong Ge.
    I think Yun Zhong Ge has a slightly higher rating on Douban. I personally also prefer Yun Zhong Ge due to a preference for plot/character intricacy over stories that are more romance-centric, which might sound odd since Huo Qu Bing is a war hero and Da Mo Yao should be a war epic. Yet somehow, despite the military campaigns and political upheaval as a backdrop, the story never really seemed focused on that aspect. Yun Zhong Ge, in contrast, was more focused on personal ambitions and power struggles: vying for the throne, conflicts among the high officials, power balance between the high officials and the emperor, etc. In short, Yun Zhong Ge is an exploration of the individual characters and their ambitions as well as how that influences their interpersonal relationships and Da Mo Yao is more of an impressionist style romance.

I actually wasn't too fond of the writing style used in Da Mo Yao since it seemed to skip through seasons at a time, covering predominantly character emotions and instances of romantic interaction or remembrance with less character/setting development. While reading Da Mo Yao, I often felt that there was a lot of plot potential in regards to court politics and warring nations that was never fully fleshed out since it's just not that type of story. Characters were vaguely explored and so even in the end, I found it difficult to really fully grasp or love any particular character. While reading, I also realized that I found Jin Yu's relationship with the chan yu of the Xiong Nu to be the most intriguing and was disappointed that it wasn't explored in more depth, particularly given the high tension build-up.

What I initially thought was the greatest flaw in Yun Zhong Ge, (childhood love at first sight and promises to wait for each other), turned out to be a rather interesting development given that the male lead takes the role of an active observer locked outside the fairytale. As such, Yun Zhong Ge serves as a sort of unique perspective to that stereotypical romance-since-childhood subgenre. It's more gritty and realistic since the main characters are all flawed (with exception of perhaps Liu Fu Ling, but he serves as a foil for the male lead, Meng Jue, and so it's acceptable). For instance, Meng Jue's main regret greatly mirrors the 2nd male lead of Da Mo Yao, Meng Jiu's. Yet Meng Jiu's cause of regret is vague and selfless while Meng Jue's is very human and ambitious. Both pay dearly to redeem themselves, yet Meng Jiu's redemption is once again saintly whereas Meng Jue's is filled with a sort of stubborn refusal to go along with his fate, which comes with more errors along the way. Liu Fu Ling is also hard not to love. Perhaps he wouldn't have stood out to me at all, if it weren't for the fact that he alone stands untainted and strong (without naivety and fully aware of the depth of the individuals around him) among such flawed and uncertain characters. Due to the contrast, he instead becomes a sort figurative light in the darkness that makes him unforgettable.

In regards to the plot, I also felt that Yun Zhong Ge came full circle in a way that Da Mo Yao didn't. I didn't get a sense of resolution at how things ended with the Xiong Nu as well as with individual character situations in Da Mo Yao. Perhaps I've just forgotten, but I'm not sure why Huo Guang even appeared in that story, other than as a deus ex machina. But yea, I think it's just more about personal tastes than anything else.
    Last edited by Ransi; 06-03-13 at 06:08 PM.