Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Were Prince Deun Jing Tsun's philandering ways signs of a mental illness?

Default Were Prince Deun Jing Tsun's philandering ways signs of a mental illness?

There's nothing insane about men being promiscuous. Most men have this inclination, although some control it better than others.

Prince Deun Jing Tsun of DGSD didn't control his promiscuous nature at all. From my observations of Patrick Tse's depiction of the character in DGSD '81, though, Prince Deun's promiscuity seems to extend *far* beyond the ordinary parameters of masculine libido into pathological territory. It almost seemed that Prince Deun *literally* could not help himself (e.g. it wasn't even a matter of willpower, but something he was compelled to do like a reflex or extreme addiction). Do you get this impression of his character?

On a related note, were Prince Deun's philandering ways well known throughout wulin, or really a matter known only to the involved parties?

My impression was that he went through a time period (seven year itch??) where he just went out and slept with every women he encountered. This is due to the fact that all his children are very close in age - like it must have happened within 3-5 year range. Assuming he had the decency to spend at least 3 months per woman plus travel time.

Also if he took a 3 year sabbatical from his wife - no one thought it was weird when Duan Yu was born or did his mom just not know who the father was?

Is there any concrete numbers on how many people he's actually slept with? Quick google states average partners for a male is 7 (granted, these are different times). I know quite a few people who are at least in the double digits...so I wouldn't put him high up there quite yet.

Fathering children is just the result of lack of contraceptives, so I'm going to not put much stock into that.

Well, I assume that his philandering ways were known to many people by their reaction when they heard about 2nd Evil's past. They all thought it was him who dumped 2nd Evil! And even he could not remember if he had slept with this woman before he must have had many partners.

I never thought he had a mental disease. Just a lack of control coupled with an attractive powerful status and charisma.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

Quote Originally Posted by charbydis View Post
    Well, I assume that his philandering ways were known to many people by their reaction when they heard about 2nd Evil's past.
    No. Only the people from Da Li had that reaction.

It wasn't a big deal for a prince to have a few mistresses in the old days, so some of the other people would probably assume that he had a few mistresses, without knowing who the women were.

Remember that all of his known (from the readers' PoV) mistresses were either not famous at all, (so no one cared to talked about them,) or were married into some very prominent families (Mrs Wang and Mrs. Ma, for example) whose affairs w/ Duen would have surely caused big scandals if leaked. Obviously, he had other mistresses other than the 4 or 5 mentioned in the novel, but I'd rather think those too would fall into one of the two categories I mentioned.

So, in my opinion, I doubt his many affairs were much talked about at all among the average members of the Wulin world as they were either considered not interesting enough or were kept secret.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
    No. Only the people from Da Li had that reaction.

It wasn't a big deal for a prince to have a few mistresses in the old days, so some of the other people would probably assume that he had a few mistresses, without knowing who the women were.

Remember that all of his known (from the readers' PoV) mistresses were either not famous at all, (so no one cared to talked about them,) or were married into some very prominent families (Mrs Wang and Mrs. Ma, for example) whose affairs w/ Duen would have surely caused big scandals if leaked. Obviously, he had other mistresses other than the 4 or 5 mentioned in the novel, but I'd rather think those too would fall into one of the two categories I mentioned.

So, in my opinion, I doubt his many affairs were much talked about at all among the average members of the Wulin world as they were either considered not interesting enough or were kept secret.
    OT: are you the legendary Kenny who disappeared from the old Yushy Forums more than a decade ago?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    OT: are you the legendary Kenny who disappeared from the old Yushy Forums more than a decade ago?

Hi Ken. Same Kenny, yes. But not legendary, hehe... Got bored so I wondered if I could still remember my old acct name and pw... somehow I guessed right and was able to login.

Hi Ken. Same Kenny, yes. But not legendary, hehe... Got bored so I wondered if I could still remember my old acct name and pw... somehow I guessed right and was able to login.
    This is like the Janitor Monk flying out of nowhere in FLYING FOX OF SNOWY MOUNTAIN to help Wu Fei. It's *surreal*, you know?

So...how have you been for the past decade?

This is like the Janitor Monk flying out of nowhere in FLYING FOX OF SNOWY MOUNTAIN to help Wu Fei. It's *surreal*, you know?

So...how have you been for the past decade?
    I stopped posting because I was still busy w/ school at the time. Then JY's 3rd edition came out and I really didn't like most of the changes, so I kinda lost interests in JY novels, and became more interested in other hobbies... namely comp. gaming and animes, haha.

Oh, don't call me the Janitor Monk. I'm more like H7G after his injury now since I haven't really re-read JY novels much for the past few years, haha. I'm extremely underpowered.

Oh, btw, are there anymore posters from the old Yushy's forum here? I noticed that Moin's a mod here now but he doesn't seem to log on anymore.

How about Jason?

Oh, and did you guys ever find out what happened to Mindy Chow? I still miss her and hope she's alright.

Oh, btw, are there anymore posters from the old Yushy's forum here? I noticed that Moin's a mod here now but he doesn't seem to log on anymore.

How about Jason?

Oh, and did you guys ever find out what happened to Mindy Chow? I still miss her and hope she's alright.
    Jason turns up once in a *very* blue moon. About once every five years (which is still twice as often as you).

Edmund Lau re-emerged briefly four years ago, but has been quiet again since.

Moinllieon has been silent as well, although he'll still respond to requests for moderator interventions.

Mindy continues to be MIA.

*Kwok* has re-emerged (but he's "Doc Kwok" now), and is an occasional contributor.

*Kwok* has re-emerged (but he's "Doc Kwok" now), and is an occasional contributor.
    Interesting. Guess I'll check out some of his posts!

Thanks for the info. And it's nice to see you again.

Just to add to the list, Lanny Lin also stops by once in a while.

With many of the well-known veterans returning at least once since the old days, Laviathan (last spotted here in 07) is due for a return within the next 5 years.
    Last edited by PJ; 11-12-11 at 11:08 AM.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Does anyone know the ages of all Deun Jing Tsun's children? I believe he had been philandering around way before Duan Yu was born, otherwise Dao Bai Fang wouldn't have had her one affair to spite him and thus, produce Duan Yu.

Let's see...Ah Zhu, Mu Wan Qing, Wang Yu Yan, Ah Zi, Zhong Lin...is this the correct ranking according to age?
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung View Post
    Does anyone know the ages of all Deun Jing Tsun's children? I believe he had been philandering around way before Duan Yu was born, otherwise Dao Bai Fang wouldn't have had her one affair to spite him and thus, produce Duan Yu.

Let's see...Ah Zhu, Mu Wan Qing, Wang Yu Yan, Ah Zi, Zhong Lin...is this the correct ranking according to age?
    When Zhong first appeared, she was said to be around 16-17. Ah Zhi appeared probably a year or so later, and was said to be about 15-16 years old. So Zhong Ling's older than Ah Zhi. Don't know the order of the 3 oldest girls, though.

Okay, after reading parts of the novel a bit, here's what I found out:

When Duan realized Zhong Ling was his daughter, he said she was born in the 12th month of the year, 16 years ago. So she probably hadn't had her 16th birthday yet. But in the old days, depending on the local culture, some people's ages were counted based only on the birth year, and not the birth month, so saying she was 16 isn't exactly wrong.

Mu was 18 yrs old when Duan found out she was his daughter.

When Ah Bi first appeared, she was said to be around 16-17, and she said Ah Zhu was 1 month older than her.

Wang once said Murong Fok was 10 years older than her, and he's said to be around 28-29, (based on what XF told DY, and Ah Zhu also said the same thing in another part of the novel.) So Wang's about 18-19, but the clues are kinda vague as "10 years" could be interpreted as "almost 10 years" or "less than 11 years".

So overall, it seems like Wang > Mu > Zhu > Zhong > Zhi, although Wang and Mu could interchange their positions as Wang's age isn't exactly clear.
    Last edited by Kenny; 11-12-11 at 09:21 PM.

So all of DZC's illegitimate daughters are younger than DY? I'm with Suet Seung in thinking that DZC must have fooled around quite a bit prior to Duan Yu's conception in order for Dao Baifeng to be so upset as to conceive Duan Yu (she said he already "had one woman after another"). I'd think he fooled around for a few years already. Given his daughters' ages, the next few years is when he conceived all of them. But statistically, it seems odd that none of his 5 or 6 daughters was conceived in the first half of his fooling. I know JY probably wanted to have Duan Yu's cousins be younger than he, but still...
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Been reading and thinking a bit about DZC today...

Like PJ said, he had obviously been cheating since before DY was born, or else his wife wouldn't have cheated on him to take revenge.

And as charbydis brought up, he also surely had other mistresses other than the 5 shown in the novel, or else he wouldn't wonder if he and the 2nd Evil had had an affair.

His cheating probably started at least 3-4 years before DY was born, because Xu Zhu (Hui Juk) was about 4 years older than DY, (and it showed as I doubt XZ had a baby face; he's supposed to be quite ugly, actually.) DZC wouldn't have thought XZ could be his illegitimate child if he hadn't started cheating on his wife that long ago. (Either that or he wasn't thinking clearly at the time...)

He hadn't been together with Qin Hong Mian (Chun Hung Min) for too long. When he found out Mu was his daughter, he could immediately tell her her birth year and birth month, so his affair with Qin was short-lived, (together for a few weeks at the most, or could be just a one night stand.) This doesn't tell us how long his other affair lasted, obviously, as he must have been with Ruan (Yuen) quite a lot to produce two girls, and we also know he and Mrs. Ma had gotten together quite a few times at least.

XF had known about DZC's reputation with women before meeting him, so it does seem like his interests in women were well known in the wulin world. But I'd still stand by what I said earlier that most people then wouldn't think it was such a big deal, much like people nowadays wouldn't be surprised when we hear about a rock star or a star athlete is having an affair w/ different women. And I still believe they didn't know who the women were.

As he had been having affairs with different women (and some not appearing in the novel) years before DY was born, it's certainly possible that he might have other children older than DY. If it took him 18 long years (Mu's age) before he learned he had another child other than DY (and ironically, DY wasn't really his child,) then it's not beyond imagination that he might have other children who he would never meet even if he didn't die early.

When DZC meet Ah Zhu's mum again resulting in the birth of Ah Zhi, mum did not mention anything about Ah Zhu?

Thanks Kenny for your detailed analyzing. So even in age, Mu WanQing and Wang Yu Yan still compete to see who's the older sister and also for the love of DY.

DZC and Duan YanQing is considered strange in their sexual desires. I mean who sleeps and philanders with every women he meets? Its not like they're all married to him and they belong in his palace harem. As for Duan YanQing, who mistakes Dao BaiFeng as Kuan Yin? Why would Kuan Yin have sexual intercourse with a crippled man?

Let's add Duan Yu to the mix too. Who becomes mesmerized by the beauty of a statue and then meets Wang Yu Yan and follows her around, wanting to do anything for her at her beck and call? Even if I go to an art museum and find a statue handsome, I wouldn't fall in love with a statue or anyone resembling the statue. Truly, the Duan bloodline has some issues.

Seriously, Ken Cheng, I think all the Duan men including Duan Zheng Chun, Duan Yan Qing AND Duan Yu have some strange fetish or mental illness.

I think Duan Zheng Ming is the only sane Duan guy of them all in DGSD.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.