Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Wuxia Tropes (Xpost from TVB forum)

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    3,580

    Default Wuxia Tropes (Xpost from TVB forum)

    http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...es-and-Cliches

    This thread talks about certain tropes in tvb series, but I figured it might get some more action in this forum with specific wuxia ones. I listed a couple in that thread, feel free to correct or add on!


    The Inferior Villain
    This is the guy who becomes a villain simply because he becomes inferior to the protagonist, especially if the protagonist is not particularly bright. Objectively, the villain is usually superior to the protagonist in every aspect except for steadfast morals and Lucky Encounters. The Inferior Villain will usually lust after a woman that loves the protagonist, while the protagonist ultimately has another love interest.

    Lucky Encounters
    Though the protagonist is usually a swell guy, he usually does not deserve all the abilities and powers he will accumulate. Whether it be a secret manual lost for centuries, a dying old man transferring him powers, or rare herbs and animals, the protagonist will shoot forth in abilities and win the admiration of all but the villains.

    The Retirement Curse
    Once a character voices their desire to retire from jianghu to live a peaceful life, he will have either One Final Quest pushed upon him which will lead to death and disaster, or their significant other has unfinished business that ultimately leads to the same thing.

  2. #2
    Moderator Ken Cheng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    24,245

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tape View Post
    The Retirement Curse
    Once a character voices their desire to retire from jianghu to live a peaceful life, he will have either One Final Quest pushed upon him which will lead to death and disaster, or their significant other has unfinished business that ultimately leads to the same thing.
    I think that one possible way to circumvent this is to never *officially* retire from wulin, but just quietly dial down involvement while at the same time, always keeping at least one (figurative) finger in the game just to say that you aren't really "retired."

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    2,107

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    I think that one possible way to circumvent this is to never *officially* retire from wulin, but just quietly dial down involvement while at the same time, always keeping at least one (figurative) finger in the game just to say that you aren't really "retired."
    Like Yang Guo?

  4. #4
    Moderator Ken Cheng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    24,245

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pannonian View Post
    Like Yang Guo?
    No. He declared his retirement (although there was no formal ceremony), and didn't keep a finger in the game.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    2,107

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    No. He declared his retirement (although there was no formal ceremony), and didn't keep a finger in the game.
    He declared the day over, hardly his retirement.
    At that moment he heard Yang Guo’s clear voice, “We had a great time
    gathering on this beautiful evening. We shall chat over a cup of wine
    when we meet again. Let us part here.” He waved his sleeve, held Xiao
    Longnu’s hand and walked down the mountain together with the Divine Eagle.


    He kept his finger in the game in some way, because the Beggars' Clan were familiar enough with the Ancient Tomb to ask for their help in HSDS.

  6. #6
    Moderator Suet Seung's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    14,053

    Default

    The Life-long Enemies Turn Friends Via Near-Moment of Death

    Hong Qi Gong and OuYang Feng were frenemies for a long time, but upon the last moments of life, they were able to remember each other and laugh til death and reconcile. Death by power exhaustion.

    Tianshan Tonglao and Li Qiu Shui - the two martial sisters spent a good several decades of their life fighting and competing for the love of their martial brother, Wu Ya Zi, and also ruining each other's chance at happiness, but the moment they lay eyes on the painting of WYZ's true love, they laugh and die out of exhaustion of powers.

    I guess Murong Bo and Xiao Yuan Shan sorta falls into this catagory. XYS spent a good 30 years tracking down MRB, but through a moment of "death" they experienced w/ help from The Janitor Monk (or Sweeper Monk), they lived again and became monks and let go of their animosites against each other.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

    Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

  7. #7
    Senior Member CC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    5,481

    Default

    You talking about TVB tropes?

    You left out all the SEX!

    1.) Maidens who needed to marry the first guy who touches her/see her face/beat her in a fight

    2.) Needing virgin sex to purge poison/inner power deviation

    3.) Chastity marks
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Giang Ho, Canada
    Posts
    4,848

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tape View Post
    http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...es-and-Cliches

    This thread talks about certain tropes in tvb series, but I figured it might get some more action in this forum with specific wuxia ones. I listed a couple in that thread, feel free to correct or add on!


    The Inferior Villain
    This is the guy who becomes a villain simply because he becomes inferior to the protagonist, especially if the protagonist is not particularly bright. Objectively, the villain is usually superior to the protagonist in every aspect except for steadfast morals and Lucky Encounters. The Inferior Villain will usually lust after a woman that loves the protagonist, while the protagonist ultimately has another love interest.

    Lucky Encounters
    Though the protagonist is usually a swell guy, he usually does not deserve all the abilities and powers he will accumulate. Whether it be a secret manual lost for centuries, a dying old man transferring him powers, or rare herbs and animals, the protagonist will shoot forth in abilities and win the admiration of all but the villains.
    Not just TVB but all wuxia/ancient tv serial.

    Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    You talking about TVB tropes?

    You left out all the SEX!

    1.) Maidens who needed to marry the first guy who touches her/see her face/beat her in a fight
    Yeah, this is funny

    2.) Needing virgin sex to purge poison/inner power deviation
    Yeah, imagine how great would it be if SLN wasn't raped by the stinking taoist but use her virginity to save YG life from fire deviation.
    Isn't this happen in real life as well? I heard men from South Africa (or Africa) believe AIDS can be cured by raping a virgin.

    3.) Chastity marks
    Yeah, it's funny.
    Last edited by Trien Chieu; 11-20-11 at 09:09 PM.

Similar Threads

  1. TVB Forum Series Index
    By Em in forum TVB Series
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-10-15, 10:56 PM
  2. Replies: 35
    Last Post: 11-23-11, 05:46 AM
  3. TVB Wuxia 2000's vs TVB Wuxia 90's
    By Ghaleon in forum TVB Series
    Replies: 88
    Last Post: 04-12-11, 03:14 PM
  4. Wuxia "tropes"
    By tape in forum Wuxia Fiction
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-13-11, 09:38 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •