Thread: Is the tide turning against the killing of 'cursed' infants in Ethiopia?

Default Is the tide turning against the killing of 'cursed' infants in Ethiopia?

Is the tide turning against the killing of 'cursed' infants in Ethiopia?
    http://edition.cnn.com/2011/11/05/wo...ingi-ethiopia/
    His top teeth came in before his bottom teeth. That is how elders of the Kara tribe determined that a healthy baby boy needed to be killed.
    Wow, this is pathetic. Lucky that I wasn't born in their tribe, or else I would be killed at birth because my top teeth came in before my bottom teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    Is the tide turning against the killing of 'cursed' infants in Ethiopia?
    http://edition.cnn.com/2011/11/05/wo...ingi-ethiopia/

Wow, this is pathetic. Lucky that I wasn't born in their tribe, or else I would be killed at birth because my top teeth came in before my bottom teeth.
    There are countless strange and brutal beliefs in this world. Everyone might be subscribing to at least one or two of them, just that we didn't realise how absurd they are.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang View Post
    There are countless strange and brutal beliefs in this world. Everyone might be subscribing to at least one or two of them, just that we didn't realise how absurd they are.
    Like how I drink my Mama's anti-voodoo concoctions... questionable but all done out of love.

Hm...I think the gist of this story is almost hopeful--that an old superstition might be cast aside due to more education and availability of choices.
    I like me.

Ethiopia people kill babies out of fear. Some modern civilised women abort their baby out of inconvenience.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Yes, there are really some weird practices and news. I read from Zimbawe news:
    1. A man claimed that the prostitute he hired became a donkey. And he is now in love with the donkey.
    2. Women raped men at gun-point for their sperm (collected in condoms) for rituals.

Quote Originally Posted by wkeej View Post
    1. A man claimed that the prostitute he hired became a donkey. And he is now in love with the donkey.
    This news I've read.

Quote Originally Posted by wkeej View Post
    2. Women raped men at gun-point for their sperm (collected in condoms) for rituals.
    This one I haven't. It's a ritual? Does that means it's not a one off incident but happen periodically (e.g. yearly, monthly)?

Quite a touching story of family love and survival. The family really love the baby, but, forced by the tribal elders to kill the baby. Her parents rather commit suicide than kill the baby. Then they ordered her 15 year old brother to kill her. Her brother knocked her unconscious and tried to bury, but, she woke up and cried and her brother couldn't do her. Her grandfather shot her with an arrow but after that was so upset he tried to commit suicide too. The baby, aged 2, was later abandon in the jungle to fend for herself. She survived for 3 years before being adopted. One brother smuggled food to her in these 3 years. The reason she has to be killed was because she couldn't talk or walk by the age of 2, so, the tribal elders concluded that she has no soul and should be killed.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...by-burial.html

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    Quite a touching story of family love and survival. The family really love the baby, but, forced by the tribal elders to kill the baby. Her parents rather commit suicide than kill the baby. Then they ordered her 15 year old brother to kill her. Her brother knocked her unconscious and tried to bury, but, she woke up and cried and her brother couldn't do her. Her grandfather shot her with an arrow but after that was so upset he tried to commit suicide too. The baby, aged 2, was later abandon in the jungle to fend for herself. She survived for 3 years before being adopted. One brother smuggled food to her in these 3 years. The reason she has to be killed was because she couldn't talk or walk by the age of 2, so, the tribal elders concluded that she has no soul and should be killed.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...by-burial.html
    Her background fits the profile of the heroine in wuxia.
    Last edited by Trien Chieu; 11-08-11 at 02:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    This one I haven't. It's a ritual? Does that means it's not a one off incident but happen periodically (e.g. yearly, monthly)?
    I read that there was a group of four women who kidnapped and raped different tourists every few months so that they can collect fresh semen for offerings to a god/demon thingie.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly