Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deaths that you were 'happy' about

Default Deaths that you were actually *happy* about

There are some deaths that you wish never happened and believed that the character did not deserve (Xiao Feng, A'zhu, Zhang Cuishan...)

However, has there been a character that you hated so much, you actually were glad that they were killed off? Or you just feel that their death benefited to the story/other characters?
    Last edited by Yuet Thi; 04-30-12 at 11:46 PM.
    Simon the Snowblower.
    Check out hilarious Jin Yong Adaptations' bloopers!

全冠请,死PK! Hated him a lot, especially the 1996 one.

Granny Sheun of the Ancient Tomb Sect, but her "death" just enabled her to play martyr for the rest of ROCH.

I've never really been happy for any characters' death (only for main villains), but I remembered my mom cheering with relief when Mie Jue died in DSHD 2000 version. lol.

Madam Ma. Couldn't wait for her to die.
    玉木宏

blog

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyz View Post
    全冠请,死PK! Hated him a lot, especially the 1996 one.
    who is 全冠请?
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    who is 全冠请?
    I think it's Quan Guanqing (全冠清), the beggar clan guy from DGSD who was in league with Madam Ma and who put up You Tanzhi as a puppet. In 1997 he was played by Chan Wingchun, and he died really nicely - got totally pwned! Desperately trying to escape and defend himself against two Gaibang elders, CRACK! he gets a three-sectioned staff straight in the centre of the crown. He stares up, eyes glaring menacingly like only Chan Wingchun can, watching all his schemes and dreams crumble as a thick river of blood slowly flows down the centre of his forehead.. He staggers, not believing that it's all over... and I'm still worried he'd somehow survive.. then he falls, twitches and YAY!!

Now if only Chang Wingchun's Chen Youliang could die like that in HSDS 2000, but history dictates that he survives. When HSDS 2000 ends I close my eyes, and visualise that death scene in DGSD 1997, and somehow transfer it to HSDS 2000 and pretend that he died - he was also a beggar clan elder anyway so the costume is beliveable.

I don't hate Chan Wingchun, I must declare, but he plays those scheming villains so so well that you just want to strangle them. I'm equally cool when he plays non villainous roles!
    Last edited by Ian Liew; 05-03-12 at 06:52 AM.

Mie Jue!!!!! Stubborn Stupid Old Hag!!!! May her soul goes straight to hell!!!!

Madam Ma

Those couple from Heartless Valley in ROCH (i can't stand seeing her spitting beads from her mouth....it's so gross not to mention that she's soooooo ugly)

Quote Originally Posted by junny View Post
    Madam Ma. Couldn't wait for her to die.
    me too!!!!!!!!!!!! she was absolutely horrible
    If you can keep your head when all about you
    Are losing theirs and blaming it on you;
    If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
    But make allowance for their doubting too;

Quote Originally Posted by Alinda View Post
    ...but at the same time, utterly fascinating.

i just thought about that. horrible is an understatement.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    ...but at the same time, utterly fascinating.
    hmmmmmmmmmmmmm... that is very true

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Liew View Post
    I think it's Quan Guanqing (全冠清)
    Exactly. I was thinking of him too. His actions just disgust me. I couldn't wait for him to die, especially when he teamed up with You Tanzhi and killed numerous innocent Beggar Clan members. I think his death in DGSD '97 was absolutely well done.

As for the actor that played him, I must say he did a marvelous job. He often plays minor traitor-villains in JY 1990s adaptations: Quan Guanqing in DGSD '97, Lao Denuo in SPW '96, and Chen Youliang HSDS 2000.

Another choice of mine would be Zhao Zhijing and Zhen Zhibing. Those two are despicable! Maybe Zhen Zhibing not as much, but I was still glad he died from the hands of XLN.
    Last edited by Yuet Thi; 05-03-12 at 08:52 PM.
    Simon the Snowblower.
    Check out hilarious Jin Yong Adaptations' bloopers!

that would be very true. he was a horrible disgusting person

that would be very true. he was a horrible disgusting person
    Yan Tze Bing/Wan Tze Ping, you mean? He committed one horrible, disgusting act that he needed to pay for with his life. If you look at the balance of that life (especially if you include the parts from his original depiction in earlier editions of the novels, when he was Wan Tze Ping in both LOCH and ROCH), however, it was actually rather exemplary other than that one horrific act. In judging his character, I prefer to look at the entire balance of his life rather than solely the worst act he committed, which was admittedly reprehensible.

By way of comparison, Wai Siu Bo, a *protagonist*, committed the same crime seven times over and unlike Yan, had no regrets about it. The fact that those women later became his wives doesn't mitigate that.

Yan Tze Bing/Wan Tze Ping, you mean?
    I thought she was referring to Quan Guanqing - in which case I totally agree. Did he die a pathetic death in DGSD 81, by the way? While Kwan Chung was good at playing villains he lacked that ... for want of a better word.. "cheapness" which Chan Wingchun brought to his scheming villains.

I thought she was referring to Quan Guanqing - in which case I totally agree. Did he die a pathetic death in DGSD 81, by the way? While Kwan Chung was good at playing villains he lacked that ... for want of a better word.. "cheapness" which Chan Wingchun brought to his scheming villains.
    Yeah...Kwan Chung was a bit too dignified an actor for the role of Cheun Gwoon Ching...not enough of a lowly scoundrel.

Cheun Gwoon Ching in DGSD '81 was killed in a single blow by Super Mo Yung Bok.

Yeah...Kwan Chung was a bit too dignified an actor for the role of Cheun Gwoon Ching...not enough of a lowly scoundrel.

Cheun Gwoon Ching in DGSD '81 was killed in a single blow by Super Mo Yung Bok.
    That sounds familiar.. He died while doing something which a normal Gaibang leader would do (during some Gaibang meeting or something), rather than while undertaking some evil scheme and plot, didn't he? That would make his death far less satisfying than Chan Wingchun's version... and like you said, Kwan Chung just didn't have that scoundrel feel to him.

That sounds familiar.. He died while doing something which a normal Gaibang leader would do (during some Gaibang meeting or something), rather than while undertaking some evil scheme and plot, didn't he? That would make his death far less satisfying than Chan Wingchun's version... and like you said, Kwan Chung just didn't have that scoundrel feel to him.
    Yep. Kwan Chung always played the villain, but a *classy* villain.

Kwan's Cheun Gwoon Ching died trying to thwart the Mo Yungs from taking over the Beggar's Union, but he was no Kiu Fung.

Yan Tze Bing/Wan Tze Ping, you mean? He committed one horrible, disgusting act that he needed to pay for with his life. If you look at the balance of that life (especially if you include the parts from his original depiction in earlier editions of the novels, when he was Wan Tze Ping in both LOCH and ROCH), however, it was actually rather exemplary other than that one horrific act. In judging his character, I prefer to look at the entire balance of his life rather than solely the worst act he committed, which was admittedly reprehensible.

By way of comparison, Wai Siu Bo, a *protagonist*, committed the same crime seven times over and unlike Yan, had no regrets about it. The fact that those women later became his wives doesn't mitigate that.
    Did he actually do anything that was particularly heroic or beneficial to other people though? From the scenes I remember in LOCH, he was portrayed as somewhat arrogant. Sure he was brave and willing to die for his sect if the need arose, but other than that, he was not very memorable to me.

He was much better than his martial brother, but anyone seems like a saint next to him. I agree with the idea that a person should not be judged from one act, but to me he seems to be an average (albeit talented) good guy that committed one terrible act with nothing to compensate for it. The way he handled the issue is much too ordinary and what an ordinary person would do -- he tried to hide, run, lie and bribe his way out of the situation, and eventually gave his life to end his guilt. At that point, I don't view his sacrifice as noble or admirable or sufficient; it just ended his guilty conscience once and for all.

Someone like Guo Jing deserves forgiveness for almost any act, because he has done so much good.
    Last edited by tape; 05-06-12 at 05:00 PM.