Thread: Petraeus scandal

Default Petraeus scandal

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/14/us...s-scandal.html

Has anyone been following this scandal? I never knew that having an extra-marital affair was grounds for dismissal if you're in such a high position. It makes sense when you consider that the person can then be blackmailed for national security secrets, but is double standards when you think of all the other politicians (including a President Clinton) who have been embroiled in scandals too? And unfortunately in present day, these moral grounds are only loosely upheld by the general public too.

Quote Originally Posted by sassygirl View Post
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/14/us...s-scandal.html

Has anyone been following this scandal? I never knew that having an extra-marital affair was grounds for dismissal if you're in such a high position. It makes sense when you consider that the person can then be blackmailed for national security secrets, but is double standards when you think of all the other politicians (including a President Clinton) who have been embroiled in scandals too? And unfortunately in present day, these moral grounds are only loosely upheld by the general public too.
    Depends on the country and the culture. I read an article the other day that had this happened in France, the public would have shrugged, said "duh," and moved on. Americans coming from Anglo-Puritan roots naturally go nuts whenever sex comes up.

But it's not really the sex that's at the heart of the problem here: it's the possibility that classified information, which could endanger Americans around the globe, might have leaked.

I also think it's an ethics, morality and ultimately a trust issue. The fact that he cannot be trusted to not cheat could imply that he cannot be trusted on other issues either. Also, since his job relates to the security of the nation, he now has a weakness in infidelity that can be seen as something that can be exploited or used against him by other people.

Quote Originally Posted by BenLin1234 View Post
    I also think it's an ethics, morality and ultimately a trust issue. The fact that he cannot be trusted to not cheat could imply that he cannot be trusted on other issues either.
    Strictly speaking, such an idea is a logical fallacy. As Mr. Spock might observe, however, humans are rarely logical.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.startrek.com/legacy_media/images/200307/spock01/320x240.jpg')