Thread: Your thought/prediction on TVB 2012 award?

Post Your thought/prediction on TVB 2012 award?

So there has been a lot of articles about the recent nomination list - TVB 2012, along with their public voting option for Best Actor/Actress/Series. What's your opinion/prediction? I think they've done the public voting all wrong. Shouldn't the people vote for the "Most Favorites" and not the "Best"? Now, being the best is a popularity contest -which IMO fits better with being the favorites like fan favorites.

TVB Anniversary Awards 2012 - Nomination List
    Best Actor (TV King)
    Wayne Lai - The Confidant
    Damian Lau - Silver Spoon, Sterling Shackles
    Kenneth Ma - The Hippocratic Crush
    Raymond Lam - Highs and Lows
    Moses Chan - The Last Steep Ascent
    Bosco Wong - Witness Insecurity
    Joe Ma - Tiger Cubs
    Kevin Cheng - Gloves Come Off
    Raymond Wong - Gloves Come Off
    ***I'm pretty sure Raymond Lam is going to win because of his huge fan base. I like Raymond, but I don't think he deserve it. Based on acting, I root for Damian but I'm pretty sure he's pretty much out of the running. I don't think he has any followers at all. Lol. I also like Kenneth in THC. Wayne has been disappointing in TC. He's too masculine in the series. I think if he reverts back to his pig-like role or even be more softer and gentler, it would have been a better and stronger character. I can't believe Raymond is nominated for GCO and not Bottled Passion. He's so much better in BP.***

Best Actress (TV Queen)
    Kate Tsui - Highs and Lows
    Tavia Yeung - Silver Spoon Sterling Shackles
    Myolie Wu - Ghetto Justice II
    Michelle Yim - The Confidant
    Charmaine Sheh - When Heaven Burns
    Aimee Chan - The Last Steep Ascent
    Linda Chung - Witness Insecurity
    Fala Chen - Queens of Diamonds and Hearts
    Niki Chow - Bottled Passion
    Liza Wang - Divas In Distress
    ***With recent promotion, Kate has better chance winning. She's freakin' everywhere! Lol. I root for Tavia, although I don't really like SSSS. I want Michelle to win more though, but she's in the same boat as Damian. I used to like Niki and loved her in the Gentle Crackdown. After seeing her 2 recent series, BP and Seargant Tabloid, I find her boring. She needs better and drarastically different role. Again, WTF is Aimee doing on this list?! Holy crap! Don't get me wrong, she did okay in TLSA, but heck that is not Best Actress acting. She can cry, but that's it. She's like a zombie with no expression in majority of the series. I understand that's the character's personality, but it doesn't take much to sit with a blank face; let alone qualify for Best Actress.***

Best Supporting Actor
    Power Chan - The Confidant
    Elliot Ngok Wah - The Confidant
    Vincent Wong - Silver Spoon, Sterling Shackles
    Jazz Lam - Ghetto Justice II
    Kenny Wong - The Last Steep Ascent
    Koo Ming Wa - Divas In Distress
    Him Law - The Hippocratic Crush
    Edwin Siu - Daddy Good Deeds
    Oscar Leung - L'Escargot
    Ram Chiang - Witness Insecurity
    ***I've also been seeing Ben Wong whinning about not being on the nomination list for his role in HAL. IMHO, I don't think that role is any different than the one in LOO. Then again, I see his frustration when he's not even nominated but first timer (i.e. Aime) getting nominated for Best Actress. Again, WTF??! I really like Edwin in DGD, so I hope he wins. However, I think Power deserves in more.***

Best Supporting Actress
    Aimee Chan - The Confidant
    Elena Kong - Silver Spoon Sterling Shackles
    Eliza Sam - Divas In Distress
    Mandy Wong - L'Escargot
    Christine Kuo - Ghetto Justice II
    Nancy Wu - Gloves Come Off
    Law Lan - The Last Steep Ascent
    Florence Kwok - King Maker
    Rachel Kan - Master of Play
    Mary Hon - Three Kingdoms RPG
    ***Yuck! Aimee is horrible in TC. Can't believe she's on the list again. I think she has a chance as Most Improved, but not Supporting or Best Actress. Way, way too early for her. I personally like Mandy and Nancy. They did great in their series. I'm leaning toward on Nancy more, even though I hated her before I saw in GCO. Heh. Florence should had got nominated for No Good Either Way. I think she was brilliant and the role fitted her so well.***

Most Improved Actor
    Him Law
    Oscar Leung
    King Kong
    Edwin Siu
    Vincent Wong
    ***I vote for Oscar or Edwin, but I have a feeling Him will win.***

Most Improved Actress
    Eliza Sam
    Christine Kuo
    Mandy Wong
    Cilla Lok
    Katy Kung
    ***I go for Mandy, but Eliza is pretty entertaining in DID.***

My Favorite TV Male Character
    Kenneth Ma (Cheung Yat Kin - The Hippocratic Crush)
    Evergreen Mak (Kiu Bo Long - House of Harmony and Vengeance)
    Bosco Wong (Hui Wai Sam - Witness Insecurity)
    Kevin Cheng (Law Lik Ah - Ghetto Justice II)
    Moses Chan (Miu Tin - The Last Steep Ascent)
    Michael Miu (Heung Wing - Highs and Lows)
    Raymond Lam (Wai Sai Lok - Highs and Lows)
    Damian Lau (Chung Cheuk Man - Silver Spoon Sterling Shackles)
    Wayne Lai (Lee Lin Yin - The Confidant)
    Raymond Wong (Yiu Seung Hei - The Confidant)
    ***Oh, I like Bosco's character the most, and then Kenneth's.***

My Favorite TV Female Character
    Charmaine Sheh (Yip Chi Yan - When Heaven Burns)
    Niki Chow (Tsui Sum - Bottled Passion)
    Tavia Yeung (Fan Tze Yu - The Hippocratic Crush)
    Fala Chen (Chung Mo Yim - Queens of Diamonds and Hearts)
    Myolie Wu (Wong Sze Fu - Ghetto Justice II)
    Kristal Tin (Yim Sam Leung - King Maker)
    Eliza Sam (Heung Nai Hing - Divas In Distress)
    Kate Tsui (Chan Ka Bik - Highs and Lows)
    Tavia Yeung (Hong Tze Kwan - Silver Spoon Sterling Shackles)
    Michelle Yim (Empress Dowager Cixi - The Confidant)
    ***Michelle is definitely my first pick, then Niki's character.***

Best Series
    When Heaven Burns
    Bottled Passion
    Wish and Switch
    L'Escargot
    4 In love
    The Hippocratic Crush
    Queens of Diamonds and Hearts
    Daddy Good Deeds
    The Greatness of a Hero
    Gloves Come Off
    House of Harmony and Vengeance
    Come Home Love
    Master of Play
    No Good Either Way
    Tiger Cubs
    Witness Insecurity
    Three Kingdoms RPG
    Ghetto Justice II
    King Maker
    Divas In Distress
    The Last Steep Ascent
    Highs and Lows
    Silver Spoon Sterling Shackles
    The Confidant
    ***Funny how every freaking series is on the nominated list. Lol. I like Tiger Cubs. It was very different and more Westernized. Bottled Passion is second runner up for me, even though the ending was very stupid. I have the same feeling about Witness Insecurity.***

Best Variety Show Host
    Grasshopper - All Star World Exam
    Jamie Chik - Tasting Life
    Nancy Sit, Louis Yuen - Let's Play With Our Food
    Maria Leitao - Telling Maria
    Louis Yuen, Johnson Lee, Wong Cho Lam - Games Gods Play
    ***No opinion.***

Best Variety Show
    Map of Happiness
    All Star World Exam
    Let's Play With Our Food
    Telling Maria
    Games God Play
    ***No opinion.***

Best Educational Program
    Bride Wannabes
    Number Matters
    Homecoming
    Tasting Life
    Pilgrimage Of Hope
    ***No opinion.***

Your thoughts/predictions?

"Wait a minute! Of Course! That's it! If I'm drunk I'll be calm and if I'm calm I'll be nice, and if I'm nice then I won't go to hell. Fix me a highball I'm going to get good and tight!"

TVB awards are highly political - they usually give the awards to someone they want to keep or promote. So my guess is that Kevin Cheng will win Best Actor again while either Tavia Yeung or Myolie Wu will win Best Actress. Kate has been getting a lot of promotion, but I hope even TVB execs will realize she's not that good yet.

My thoughts:

Best Actor - Wayne Lai for the Confidante. I like his portrayal - think the high pitch gentle voice is a stereotype. Even transsexual (men who become women using surgery and estrogen regimen) do not necessarily have high pitched comedic voices and these eunuchs are not taking estrogen supplements.
    Raymond Lam basically held about 3 expressions in High and Lows portraying "I'm smart and angry but also sensitive."

Best Actress - for the whole year I have been thinking no one's performance exceeds Charmaine Sheh's Hazel. But now I think it will be Michelle Yim for Cixi. I don't think anyone else comes close. Kate is okay probably better than the others on the list but far behind Michelle Yim and Charmaine.

Best Supporting Actor - Koo Ming Wah for So Gay or Power Chan for Sam Shun. I actually like Ben Wong more in SSSS than H&L.

Best Supporting Actress - Nancy Wu, Eliza Shum, and Elena Kong

Most Improved Actor - Oscar Leung

Most Improved Actress - this is most ridiculous list of nominees. Eliza and Christine have total of 4 series in between the two of them? Is this most improved from non speaking part? I hope Mandy wins.

Best Series - Hands down is When Heaven Burns for me

How is Ben Wong not nominated as Best Supporting Actor??? I hated him in H&L =_=

Anyways, for me..

Best Actor - to me, it's going to be a 'battle' between Raymond Lam, Wayne Lai and Kevin Cheng.
    Best Actress - Anyone to me is fine except Kate Tsui. I don't hate her, but to me her acting in H&L was inferior to Linda Chung's WI. But I have a feeling it's either Kate or Michelle. Michelle then.
    Best Supporting Actor - Goo Ming Wah or Power Chan. They both deserve the award.
    Best Supporting Actress - Elena Kong, Eleza Sam, Nancy Wu. I personally appreciate most of the actresses in the nominated list. But the characters most impressionable to me were these three. I have a feeling Nancy Wu will nab this.
    Most Improved Actor - I have not watch Tiger Cubs (hehe, I want to but I just don't have the time).. so I'm thinking it'd be Him Law or Edwin Siu. Him Law because he has popularity. Edwin Siu because I think he's really improved.
    Most Improved Actress - it's going to be Mandy Wong.
    TV Characters - Eliza Sam or Michelle Yim's characters.
    Best Series - I think this is based on popularity, so TC. But out of the whole freaking list, the series worthy of this award in my honest opinion will be Gloves Come Off. But then again, I haven't watch Tiger Cubs

@sassygirl: I totally agree with everything you said about TVB. That's why I'm pretty confident that Kate will probably win (yuck). Regardless if she's good or not, she has been way heavy promoted.

@smurf: For clarification, I don't think eunichs should have high pitched comedic voices either. I just think Wayne could had poytray his character better besides just nice then screaming angry. It's so similar with his past several roles. I just think this role would had been so different than his previous one and that he can make it shine and unique (like he did with Rosy Business. He was different than his other roles before RB). I just want to see something different from him, I guess.

@arachidoni: Go watch Tiger Cubs!

"Wait a minute! Of Course! That's it! If I'm drunk I'll be calm and if I'm calm I'll be nice, and if I'm nice then I won't go to hell. Fix me a highball I'm going to get good and tight!"

My own predictions for TVB Awards:
    http://casualtvb.blogspot.ca/2012/11...vb-awards.html

BA: Raymond/Tavia
    Fav Charact: Raymond/Kate
    BSA: Koo Ming Wah/Aimee
    Improved: Him/Mandy
    Series: The Confidant

Also, see stats on how well Astro Awards predict TVB winners: http://casualtvb.blogspot.ca/2012/12...ro-awards.html

The results are out:

Best Actor: Wayne Lai
    Best Actress: Tavia Yeung
    Best Series: When Heaven Burns
    Best Supporting Actor: Koo Ming Wah
    Best Supporting Actress: Nancy Wu
    Most Improved Actor: Oscar Leung
    Most Improved Actress: Mandy Wong
    My Favorite Actor: Kenneth Ma
    My Favorite Actress: Kate Tsui
    Lifetime Achievement Award: Liza Wang

The Best Actor and Actress categories are well-deserved but I can't feeling that When Heaven Burns shouldn't have received the award because it wasn't even made in 2012 and shown mostly in 2011. Not to say it's not a good drama, but if it should've won, it should've taken it home last year in 2011. It just seems a little unfair to all the other dramas made in 2012 to lose out.

Glad that Kate Tsui didn't win Best Actress since her acting chops are not quite there yet either. Same with Mandy Wong losing out to Nancy Wu. Both have potential but need to pay their dues first.

I liked When Heaven Burns. It was very different. True it has weird, slow and boring parts, but other series have their low points as well. I think TVB gave Kate the Fav Actress because she didn't win Best Actress. Not that I don't like her, I just think she hasn't improve at all. I agree with Best Supporting Actress, but not for the Actor. So Gay was a funny character but he wasn't great. It should had go to Power Chan. Congrats to Wayne and Tavia. I think Tavia so deserved that. On the hand, I like Wayne but I find his eunich role wasn't the best from the list. I'm surprised he won over Raymond Lam. Wow!

Was pretty happy with all the results - thought all were well deserved. WHB really was better series than anything else put out this year as far as emotional punch. I know everyone loves it but I can't finish the Confidante and only seriously watched about 2/3 of SSSS. I don't even know what else I watched this year in entirety - maybe Divas in Distress?

When Heaven Burns should've bagged the award in 2011. It just seems like an insult to all the work put into the 2012 series made since but maybe that's a wakeup call for TVB.

Kenneth looked so freaking surprise when Wayne won. Cute lol The more I thought about it, Wayne does deserve that title. He's a good actor and very flexiable. He can do serious, comedy, evil, and serious. I just hope they give him better roles than 2012 when all his roles are pretty similar to one another.