Thread: Chinese Woman Brutally Tased by Police For Trying to Buy iPhones

Default Chinese Woman Brutally Tased by Police For Trying to Buy iPhones

I was gonna post this under news but curious to see what you guys think. It happened recently at my local shopping mall.

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2012/12/...-iphone-apple/

Basically she was trying to buy more than two iPhones and that was against the store's policy, at least for that specific Apple store. She didn't understand and refused to leave so the manager called the mall cops, resulting with a taser. According to her, she was buying the extra iPhones for her relatives in China (hey, it is a holiday season).

She was carrying $16,000 with her -- one could assume that she is a reseller. And even if that's the case, does she deserve this brutal treatment? Another case of abuse of power from the police force?

Btw, I know several Asian folks here who carry a lot of cash with them but it doesn't mean anything. I guess some people thinks it's not normal?
    Last edited by Happy Kadaw; 12-13-12 at 01:51 PM.

I'd say to non-Asians, carrying around that much cash is not normal. Most other people use credit cards to buy everything instead of pure cash.

This is a pretty weird story and sounds a bit like excessive force by the security mall cop. That said, I'm sure she was a big nuisance and very demanding in a Chinese sort of way that really isn't tolerated that well here in the US.

I would also agree that it's excessive to tase her. The woman's just trying to buy some phones geez, not like she's a criminal.

Watching my local news channels, I get the impression that police are not very patient these days. They are quick to use force and their guns too, especially when animals are involved.