Page 67 of 73 FirstFirst ... 175758596061626364656667686970717273 LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,340 of 1455

Thread: The Romance of the Condor Heroes 《神雕侠侣》 - Chen Xiao, Michelle Chen

Quote Originally Posted by itnw123 View Post
    Disappointing. This adaptation is WORSE than I initially expected to be. It's so bad to the point that it makes Swordsman 2013 seem so good lmao.
    Actually ROCH is much better than swordsman. Reason, it is almost consistent with the novel. At least YG didn't turn into some heartless douche like LHC. But then again swordsman has never been my most favorite jin yong works. The martial arts in swordsman was far too weak compared to condor trilogy or even demi gods semi devils. In short, YZ's ROCH is way better than swordsman. Joe Chen was the only reason I watched swordsman till the end.

ROCH is better than swordsman , evident in the first few episodes LMC fighting by the river, the production team made more wire flying stunts.

Quote Originally Posted by hirobo2 View Post
    Hey guys, I finally managed to watch Episode 01 on YT. I will no longer defend YZ. Give me a break, needles that turn people into whole ice statues... How belivable is that?
    The whole drama is unrealistic, so I can't see why you are so bothered with this. View this type of show for what it is, ancient chinese fantasy genre. All the stuff they do defy basic reasoning. Maybe LMC needle technique is similar to the Xuanming Elders' Xuanming Divine Palm in HSDS. In that both are yin type of martial arts that can cause their opponents to turn very cold, maybe to the point of freezing them.

I do have to agree with you that YZ seems to relied too much of cgi and not enough focus on acting or writing a better script. Thankfully he is not working on HSDS right away. Who knows, maybe he might come to accept criticisms by the time HSDS production starts. Only then will the new HSDS might have a chance at becoming a great remake.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Heretic View Post
    The martial arts in swordsman was far too weak compared to condor trilogy or even demi gods semi devils.
    If you think about it, the martial arts in Jin Yong's novel decline through time. The main characters in Demi-gods and Semi-devils were pretty overpowered compared to the characters in Condor Heroes Trilogy, who are more powerful than the characters in Swordsman.
    Last edited by Whatisthis; 03-01-15 at 03:21 AM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Whatisthis View Post
    The whole drama is unrealistic, so I can't see why you are so bothered with this. View this type of show for what it is, ancient chinese fantasy genre. All the stuff they do defy basic reasoning. Maybe LMC needle technique is similar to the Xuanming Elders' Xuanming Divine Palm in HSDS. In that both are yin type of martial arts that can cause their opponents to turn very cold, maybe to the point of freezing them.

I do have to agree with you that YZ seems to relied too much of cgi and not enough focus on acting or writing a better script. Thankfully he is not working on HSDS right away. Who knows, maybe he might come to accept criticisms by the time HSDS production starts. Only then will the new HSDS might have a chance at becoming a great remake.

If you think about it, the martial arts in Jin Yong's novel decline through time. The main characters in Demi-gods and Semi-devils were pretty overpowered compared to the characters in Condor Heroes Trilogy, who are more powerful than the characters in Swordsman.
    I can accept characters like Sub Zero (Mortal Kombat) being able to freeze their opponents. I won't accept a mere inanimate needle being able to do so in a fraction of a second. Also took a sneak peek at a later battle scene. I won't accept a ball of curled up metal uncurling into a poison needle when YG flicks it from his hand to poison the Mongolian Prince. It's just too out-of-this-world...

I can accept characters like Sub Zero (Mortal Kombat) being able to freeze their opponents. I won't accept a mere inanimate needle being able to do so in a fraction of a second. Also took a sneak peek at a later battle scene. I won't accept a ball of curled up metal uncurling into a poison needle when YG flicks it from his hand to poison the Mongolian Prince. It's just too out-of-this-world...
    Wuxia is out of this world. It is not possible for someone to glide in the air or stand on the top of trees.

WHat happened to LMC falling in love with YG as you mentioned the last time? I see none of those just saying

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Malevolent View Post
    Wuxia is out of this world. It is not possible for someone to glide in the air or stand on the top of trees.

WHat happened to LMC falling in love with YG as you mentioned the last time? I see none of those just saying
    1. Or how about some mere flower petals able to stop ice needles traveling at the speed of sound? Even ninjas can leap onto tree tops and teleport themselves to places (really just using stealth to get there). But there are certain things that are far-fetched, even for a fantasy setting...

2. Really, you don't sense the romantic tension between LMC and YG? Besides, it's the secret romantic thought that counts...

1. Or how about some mere flower petals able to stop ice needles traveling at the speed of sound? Even ninjas can leap onto tree tops and teleport themselves to places (really just using stealth to get there). But there are certain things that are far-fetched, even for a fantasy setting...

2. Really, you don't sense the romantic tension between LMC and YG? Besides, it's the secret romantic thought that counts...
    1) Well wuxia as a whole is far fetched. Best is watch modern dramas and you not feel awkward at all

2) Tension? Really? Where? When? How? All I can see is that LMC is envious of XLN for having such a faithful and kind gentleman like YG

Banned

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the tomb where XLN grew up is no longer a tomb, but a cross between a hobbit hole (but with really huge rectangular doors) and Avatar's gigantic tree thing?

I have to say. The old Yang Guo and Xiang'er makes the whole movie a lot better.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the tomb where XLN grew up is no longer a tomb, but a cross between a hobbit hole (but with really huge rectangular doors) and Avatar's gigantic tree thing?
    Perhaps Yu Zheng had a different take on the place? It was not quite what I had expected too, but not something to take issue with. Partly because as the story progressed and took place elsewhere, I, too, moved on and forgot about it.

Many things were done well though and they made me smile in appreciation (figuratively; I did not actually smile at the screen). An example is this Guo Jing. The actor seems to act, look and feel so much like the Jin Yong character. I could totally see him as the GJ of LOCH having matured and developed into the ROCH period. I enjoyed quite a few of his scenes.

As for the protagonist, I thought this Yang Guo did well in that Jue Qing Gu scene in which he was devastated and threw up blood (when XLN said she did not know who he was). I particularly liked that part where he turned away with a bitter, hurt laugh, wiped his tears, and turned back to tell Fan Yiweng that he would accept his duel challenge. I thought the actor gave a good performance there. His demeanor, body language and depth of emotion seemed appropriate — in keeping with YG's prone-to-dramatics nature and yet not over the top.

Other notable YG scenes (to me) included 1) those scenes in which he was trying to treat XLN's injuries in the tomb, pretending to succumb to Li Mochou's poison and tricking her into the coffin, trying again to help XLN but was once again interrupted, this time by Guo Fu and gang, culminating in his despair and anger when XLN was beyond cure; 2) the scene in Jue Qing Gu after XLN has returned from her fight on the ledge with Gongsun Zhi, with the antidote; 3) the scene in which he had a brief tender moment with XLN in Jue Qing Gu, by the poisonous flowers, that was witnessed by Li Mochou just before LMC burned herself to death; 4) the scenes after he woke up the next morning and found XLN gone, confronting Huang Rong, jumping to the other cliff ledge, his distress, the whole nine yards. I thought the actor did well in those scenes. His performance was understated enough that the reactions felt realistic, how a person with YG's temperament would behave but not wooden — yet aptly portraying YG's (often extreme) emotions without resorting to overacting and hysterics.

Unfortunately, I often forget that the show is still airing. I find that adaptations of Jin Yong novels no longer keep me riveted to the screen. Maybe I am familiar with the storylines and so to me, there is no suspense, no mystery, no compelling plots?

Quote Originally Posted by poppies View Post
    Perhaps Yu Zheng had a different take on the place? It was not quite what I had expected too, but not something to take issue with. Partly because as the story progressed and took place elsewhere, I, too, moved on and forgot about it.

Many things were done well though and they made me smile in appreciation (figuratively; I did not actually smile at the screen). An example is this Guo Jing. The actor seems to act, look and feel so much like the Jin Yong character. I could totally see him as the GJ of LOCH having matured and developed into the ROCH period. I enjoyed quite a few of his scenes.

As for the protagonist, I thought this Yang Guo did well in that Jue Qing Gu scene in which he was devastated and threw up blood (when XLN said she did not know who he was). I particularly liked that part where he turned away with a bitter, hurt laugh, wiped his tears, and turned back to tell Fan Yiweng that he would accept his duel challenge. I thought the actor gave a good performance there. His demeanor, body language and depth of emotion seemed appropriate — in keeping with YG's prone-to-dramatics nature and yet not over the top.

Other notable YG scenes (to me) included 1) those scenes in which he was trying to treat XLN's injuries in the tomb, pretending to succumb to Li Mochou's poison and tricking her into the coffin, trying again to help XLN but was once again interrupted, this time by Guo Fu and gang, culminating in his despair and anger when XLN was beyond cure; 2) the scene in Jue Qing Gu after XLN has returned from her fight on the ledge with Gongsun Zhi, with the antidote; 3) the scene in which he had a brief tender moment with XLN in Jue Qing Gu, by the poisonous flowers, that was witnessed by Li Mochou just before LMC burned herself to death; 4) the scenes after he woke up the next morning and found XLN gone, confronting Huang Rong, jumping to the other cliff ledge, his distress, the whole nine yards. I thought the actor did well in those scenes. His performance was understated enough that the reactions felt realistic, how a person with YG's temperament would behave but not wooden — yet aptly portraying YG's (often extreme) emotions without resorting to overacting and hysterics.

Unfortunately, I often forget that the show is still airing. I find that adaptations of Jin Yong novels no longer keep me riveted to the screen. Maybe I am familiar with the storylines and so to me, there is no suspense, no mystery, no compelling plots?
    I also think Chen Xiao did a fine job portraying Yang Guo. As for Michelle Chen, it was a bit awkward at first with her playing Xiao Longnu, but it slowly grew on me. I this is partly because of the chemistry between Chen Xiao and Michelle Chen. Hopefully she still doesn't get much hate from the viewers.

Whenever there is a new ROTCH adaptation, I always follow it even if I am familiar with the storyline. This is my favorite story out of all of Jin Yong's novels. I am still waiting for an adaptation that is true to the novel or even makes it better. Maybe in the next decade? Lol.

Man, I know a lot of people would hate me for saying this, but I think YZ would have benefited from doing what most directors do and made an LOCH adaption before making adapting ROCH. I know this would be unacceptable for most people just because that means an extra YZ adaption. However, for the ones I have watched, LOCH adaptions seem to generally be more well-made than ROCH ones, so something tells me it's probably easier to do. With the LOCH adaption and ROCH one being a continuation, there would be absolutely no need to clutter the series with most of the flashbacks since everything would have been explained in the LOCH adaption (eg HYS and MCF's backstory, which even though was partly wrong, WAS something JY had added into the latest edition of LOCH). This would have given YZ more space to work with the main plot of ROCH instead of having to rush now with only 2 eps left, as well as giving him to directing experience to handle ROCH. Also it would mean he won't have to have characters would are supposed to be 70-80 years old looking like 30 year olds with a white wig (I'm looking at you, Ying Gu)
    Last edited by shrang; 03-05-15 at 02:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by poppies View Post

I only watched several scenes of what you said above, but I also think that CX did well in serious+emotional scenes. The scenes that I like (and watched) are the parts where his arm was cut, the way he screemed, the way he washed his cut arm in the river, and how he buried his arm in a small grave (although, I didn't see him carry that arm before, plus how could someone in such pain and suffering carried an arm along the way? Oh well). I have my unique impressions on every YG/ROCH from every versions. Although I have many complaints on him, especially on YG's bratty side, those parts are the ones I noted from this version as memorable.

Regarding Jin Yong novel, I also think that I'm already familiar with the story, so it does lessen the suspense and the mystery. Perhaps an improvisation would be nice, like the 80s versions, which is fun but still maintaining the original plot and character. Then again, I'd still be excited to watch a stay-true-to-the-novel adaptation, if it is good and can portray my favourite scenes well.

Quote Originally Posted by shrang View Post
    Man, I know a lot of people would hate me for saying this, but I think YZ would have benefited from doing what most directors do and made an LOCH adaption before making adapting ROCH. I know this would be unacceptable for most people just because that means an extra YZ adaption. However, for the ones I have watched, LOCH adaptions seem to generally be more well-made than ROCH ones, so something tells me it's probably easier to do. With the LOCH adaption and ROCH one being a continuation, there would be absolutely no need to clutter the series with most of the flashbacks since everything would have been explained in the LOCH adaption (eg HYS and MCF's backstory, which even though was partly wrong, WAS something JY had added into the latest edition of LOCH). This would have given YZ more space to work with the main plot of ROCH instead of having to rush now with only 2 eps left, as well as giving him to directing experience to handle ROCH. Also it would mean he won't have to have characters would are supposed to be 70-80 years old looking like 30 year olds with a white wig (I'm looking at you, Ying Gu)
    You're right,having an extra YZ adaptation is not a good idea *lol*. Anyway, I once heard somewhere that YZ planned to adapt LOCH and ROCH, and he crammed the story into this ROCH adaptation.

Regarding the flashback, having flashback doesn't mean that you have to have old characters who look young. I think you just have to do more makeup to make people looked old, plus cast a not-so-young actors/actresses, so that they would look good as both the young and the old versions. For what I can see here, YZ didn't intend to make the characters looked old at all.

Quote Originally Posted by vankenn View Post
    I have to say. The old Yang Guo and Xiang'er makes the whole movie a lot better.
    YG and Xiang'er in this adaptation is nice indeed. YG was all happy when he knew Xiang'er's identity. In the earlier episodes while he was saving the infant her from LMC, he was wondering if infant Xiang'er would even remember him when she grew up. From his smile you can tell that he was happy to see the grown up Xiang'er having so much adoration and respect for him

I just saw many of the episodes and it reminds me of the 1995 TVB version. The wrong arm and the unique scenes not in the book are all reenacted perfectly identical to the 1995 version by this remake.. Rather than Cantonese of course... I hope they paid TVB in addition to Jing Yong Inc...for the original changes written by TVB... Before the release JY said this will be the most accurate adaptation, I bet JY will be screaming and demanding another remake because this one could be improved... Just like what he did to Swordsman.

Just watch what have aired so far, and its surprisingly a faithful adaption for a YZ production compare to Swordsman. If he cut all the love stories of the old guys and get more stories for the 16 years later it would be better.

The Golden Wheel Monk and GX scenes today were really cute. I haven't read the 3rd edition yet but wow they really portrayed the GWM's softer side really well. I especially liked the part where he's telling her that YG's way out of her league, you can really tell that he cared for her. It's also nice to see that YZ didn't cave into the temptation of making another flashback for GWM. I could just imagine one where he sees like an old girlfriend in GX and we'd get a flashback of his own little tragic love-life :P.

Also, the Guo Polu in this series is really cute as well. He's still really insignificant as compared to his Mary Sue-level twin sister but I like how they gave him a few more lines (like offering to go with HR to look for GX). It's just enough to make him seem like a person instead of just some random kid that's standing in the background, but not too much that it would make him more significant than he actually is.
    Last edited by shrang; 03-11-15 at 05:28 AM.

The series is ending in 1 hour. It's been a great 3 months.

I also kinda like this series even with all its flaws... It kinda gives a more of an inkling of what the future is in store for Xiang Yang after the Mongols stabilize, than the previous remakes... Such as the annihilation of the Guo family & all its protectors... With Yang Guo & XLN going in seclusion to make babies while Guo Xiang gets a broken heart and becoming a mini-Ginlun Fawang/monk, wait I mean a nun