Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Four Constables - Return to the Capital City by Wen Rui'an

Thanks, Jean

Slowly drawing to an exciting conclusion...

end of chapter....

Liu Jiyan is still smoking his pipe in the darkness.

Sitting right opposite him, is Ling Yuxiang.

Ling Yuxiang is still staring at him but Liu Jiyan did not spare him a single look, mumbling as he smoked his pipe, “10 years. Ever since our Teacher Ba Shuren were killed by your gang at Mount Hua, we were pursued by thousands of enemies. At that time we were not hardworking at all and with so many highly skilled enemies, our days of leisure and enjoyment ended… we have to hide, but hide where? The world may be huge but our enemies are even more, so we don’t even have a place to hide! Later, we thought that only by joining the magistrate court is the best place to hide. So we separately joined different government agencies and practiced hard on Teacher’s ‘Flying Blood Sword Stance’. To prevent others from being able to distinguish it, we had to change the sword stance to staff stance, hammer stance and…” Liu Jiyan waved the end of his pipe languidly, the tip of this steel pipe is sharp and thin, “and this pipe of mine.” Liu Jiyan furrowed his brow again in deep thought as he smoked a few breaths, the ember flickering in the hall, turning fiery red as he inhaled and dimming as he exhaled.

“Finally we gained fame while in civil service and no one have any reason to suspect us. As for our skills, we mastered it so it is time for revenge. If we still do not take revenge, we’re afraid that you guys will die of old age instead, and that will be the greatest regret of us three brothers…”

The more Liu Jiyan spoke, the more agitated he became, “That day, when I suddenly struck to kill your Third Brother, he dragged his mortally wounded body to retrieve his Centipede Whip but I knew he would not survive so I returned to the feast and did not leave. Because I was sure you will definitely seek my help to investigate this case and I can openly invite my Second and Third Junior Brothers here and take you down one by one…”

Liu Jiyan composed himself and continued, “I did not expect Leng Xue to be at the table as well… but he won’t have long to live either. By the third watch, he will definitely die too, consider it your burial gift…”

‘tok, tok, tok, tok, tok’ the night watchman just walked past the main door with his lantern. The small sliver of light makes one unable to tell just how dark the night is.

It’s the first watch.

The night watchman obviously could not detect the murderous intent in the house nor smell the blood, so he walked away.

Silence resumed in the garden.

Leng Xue is hiding behind the door.

The door is opened, there are two panels.

Zhuang Zhidong is behind the other door panel.

Leng Xue did not move, Zhuang Zhidong does not know where Leng Xue is.

Zhuang Zhidong did not move as well, Leng Xue can’t see him too.

Actually, only a few feet separated them and once one finds out where the other is, he’ll be able to strike first and kill the other party.

But no one found out where the other is, no one knows where the other is.

They seem to be competing, competing to see who is more patient.

Finally it is Leng Xue who lost his patience first.

Zhuang Zhidong’s extraordinary sense of hearing suddenly heard Leng Xue darting out from behind the door like an arrow, aiming straight towards the hall. The speed of his departure is indescribable!

But nothing can be faster than Zhuang Zhidong’s hammer!

Zhuang Zhidong shouted in the darkness, “Hammer!”

With the shout, his chain hammer flew out long and straight and the hammer has struck an object!

“Phloof!”

Zhuang Zhidong suddenly realized that he has smashed that thing, but it’s actually just a flowerpot!

Immediately Zhuang Zhidong realized that the situation is amiss, his location has been revealed!

But before he has the time to do anything else, when his lips were still uttering the word ‘hammer’, when there was only a tiny gap between his two rows of teeth, a thin and fine long sword poked in suddenly!

Before he had the time to feel the shock, he could only feel sweetness in his throat, and then he was unable to feel anything else.

Last edited by Jean; 09-20-13 at 03:42 AM.

Thanks!!!!!

Thanks Jean

New and final chapter for this short story....

Chapter 3 – And Ending with Death

Liu Jiyan suddenly saw the glow from the moon shining in. He furrowed his brows and looked at Ling Yuxiang before continuing with a laugh, “Brother Ling, do you know why I have yet to kill you? Why do I want all of you to die one by one, and not kill all of you at the same time?”

Ling Yuxiang looked lost as he stared at him, shaking his head vigorously.

Liu Jiyan laughed, “Very simple, we want you to die one by one so that you can taste the despair of your family dying! The taste of fear! The taste of death! I am now waiting for Second and Third Junior Brothers to bring in the head of Shen Cuogu, then it’ll be your turn…”

Liu Jiyan suddenly stood up and took a few continuous puffs, obviously feeling a little uneasy, “But I cannot wait any longer. Your drug will soon lose its effect, I better kill you first!” As he walked towards Ling Yuxiang, he mumbled to himself, “Strange! Second and Third Junior Brothers should have succeeded by now!”

Suddenly someone outside said icily, “They did succeed!”

Liu Jiyan was astounded!

At the same time, the windows were shattered and two human shadows flew towards Liu Jiyan.

Liu Jiyan hurriedly retreated!

The human shadow which was trying to knock into Liu Jiyan missed the target and just dropped to the floor!

The other human shadow knocked into Ling Yuxiang’s chair!

‘Bang!’ Ling Yuxiang was thrown off a few feet away together with his chair!

The person who banged into the chair also fell to the ground and did not get up!  

Even with Liu Jiyan’s vast experience, he has never seen someone fight like this without regard to his own life.

After the window was broken, the moonlight fell into the room like mercury.

Liu Jiyan took a good look only to see the two who fell to the ground are actually Gao Shanqing and Zhuang Zhidong.

Ling Yuciang and Liu Jiyan are separated by a few feet and in the distance between them, a person dropped down as silently as a cat. In the moonlight, this person is none other than Leng Xue.

Liu Jiyan has already swiftly pointed end of his pipe towards Leng Xue.

Leng Xue has also drawn his sword, the tip pointing towards Liu Jiyan!

Both of them did not move.

Liu Jiyan was still staring at Leng Xue when he suddenly laughed, “So it’s you.”

Leng Xue replied coldly, “It’s me.”

Liu Jiyan asked, “You’re back after settling your matter?”

Leng Xue laughed icily as he replied, “Back at just the right time.”

Liu Jiyan said, “You’re back at the right time, someone has drugged Hero Ling and made him mute and weak. I am protecting him but was worried that my effort would be inadequate.”

Leng Xue said, “Pity.”

Liu Jiyan asked curiously, “Pity what?”

Leng Xue said, “What a nice lie.”

Liu Jiyan asked, “Lie?”

Leng Xue said, “Pity that I was outside the window earlier, and heard the truth that you spoke,”

Liu Jiyan laughed, “I did not expect that instead of going after the murderer, Brother Leng would be eavesdropping on the private conversation of others.”

Leng Xue replied, “I’ve found out who the murderer is.”

Liu Jiyan asked, “Who?”

Leng Xue said icily, “The murderer is you.”

Liu Jiyan looked up and chortled, as if he has heard something extremely funny.

Just that when he was laughing, his eyes were not smiling at all but staring brightly at the tip of Leng Xue’s sword.

Leng Xue is also staring at his pipe. Even when they are talking, as soon as one party becomes careless during the conversation, the other party will immediately take the opportunity to strike with full force.

Liu Jiyan looked heavenward and laughed for quite a moment. He realized he could not lure Leng Xue into an attack so he stopped laughing but was still full of smiles as he said, “Ingenious, ingenious.”

Leng Xue replied, “You’re ingenious too, but still can’t hide it from me.”

Liu Jiyan asked, “I’d like to know why you’d be suspicious of me?”

Leng Xue replied, “You can only blame yourself for thinking that the ambush at Liu Jiuru’s house will definitely kill me, so you left a loophole.”

Liu Jiyan queried, “Loophole?”

Thanks, Jean

Thanks a lot. So Leng Xue has already found some clue after his ambush but he still was not able to save the two elders.

Ji Yanran nodded his head, “This means that the person who killed Fifth Hero Gui is familiar with the martial arts that he practice so he knows that Fifth Hero Gui’s only weakness is his temples.” >>>>>>>> at 09-04-13 ,08:41 AM ....Ji Yanran (XSL wife)............it must be Liu Jiyan ....

Quote Originally Posted by lukasjedi View Post
    Ji Yanran nodded his head, “This means that the person who killed Fifth Hero Gui is familiar with the martial arts that he practice so he knows that Fifth Hero Gui’s only weakness is his temples.” >>>>>>>> at 09-04-13 ,08:41 AM ....Ji Yanran (XSL wife)............it must be Liu Jiyan ....
    You're right! What was I thinking! hahaha

to continue....

Leng Xue answered, “That’s right. You said Liu Jiuru was once involved in a murder and was sent to Liu Prefecture but I inspected his body but found no trace of the brand that marks all the criminals in Liu Prefecture. Therefore I thought, would someone like ‘Divine Constable’ remember wrongly? Or was it a deliberate mistake? I checked those masked men again and realized that there’s a mark on all their shoulders, and it is the brand of the imperial army in the city. Who here would be able to direct these skilled imperial soldiers?”

Leng Xue stared at Liu Jiyan as he continued, “Of course I would think of the Head Instructor of the Imperial Army Gao Shanqing and indeed you invited Gao Shanqing here. So I began to suspect if you’re deliberately maligning Liu Jiuru to distract me and change my target? If Liu Jiuru is innocent, you intentionally wanted me to follow Liu Jiuru and take the opportunity to use Gan Shanqing’s men to kill me. In fact, you did something wrong. If not for someone who first gave out news that I will be following Liu Jiuru, why would there be so many people going after just a minor character such as Liu Jiuru? Because the person you wanted to kill was me, not Liu Jiuru but because you couldn’t kill me so you had to kill Liu Jiuru to make me waste my time around Liu Jiuru and neglect you…”

Liu Jiyan laughed coldly, “Impressed, impressed.”

Leng Xue continued, “Before Liu Jiuru died, he told me the person who killed him is a ‘gong’, and this word ‘gong’ made me realize after I found out that the assassins were imperial soldiers, that the word ‘gong’ may be part of the words ‘gong ren’ (public person) or ‘gong chai’ (government officers). In a brawl, Liu Jiuru will definitely not be on his guard when he sees government officers so you will be able to succeed with just one strike.”

Liu Jiyan said, “My plan was seamless with only this mistake, I have nothing to say.”

Leng Xue laughed coldly, “The arms of the law are long. Not a single criminal plan can be seamless. Besides, that was not your only mistake.”

Liu Jiyan asked, “Not the only one?”

Leng Xue replied, “Early on when you lured Gui Jingyuan or when you asked Zhuang Zhidong or Gao Shanqing to lure Gui Jingyuan away, I was starting to feel perplexed. Gui Jingyuan is impulsive by nature and it’s logical that he will disregard everything else in order to pursue the enemy but why would ‘Divine Constable’ not protect the witness and instead abandon him to pursue the enemy, resulting in the death of Ah Fu. The reason Ah Fu hid himself in the woodshed and dared note see Madam Jin and the rest is because he saw the person who killed Third Hero Jin is you and you are standing right next to Madam Jin. No wonder Ah Fu dare not go and see Hero Ling. Fifth Hero Gui was left alone so you took the opportunity to kill him before pretending to be injured and coming back to the woodshed, thinking that you would be able to hoodwink everyone…”

Liu Jiyan laughed coldly, “The fact is, Ling Yuxiang, Murong Shuiyun and Shen Cuogu were all tricked by me!”

Leng Xue laughed icily, “But how long can your trick last? I’ve seen the hammer around Zhuang Zhidong’s waist, and remembered the injury on Liu Jiuru’s chest and my suspicions were already aroused. I know I have no proof and no one would believe me even if I said it out so I had no choice but to suggest that I want to go with Second Hero Murong as well. However, I still failed. You used the huge carriage to block my view then got Zhuang Zhidong and Gao Shanqing to kill him! If not for the fact that one of us has leaked the news, who would be able to lay an ambush ahead of time there?”

Liu Jiyan sniggered, “But Gao Shanqing did not go with you!”

Leng Xue replied, “I saw the wounds in front and behind of Second Hero Murong and I was suspicious. Since Gao Shanqing did not come with us, who could the other killer be? Later I realized that when you suggested that Gao Shanqing go and buy supplies for the disguise, he’s actually going to kill someone. Second Hero Murong may be smart but when fighting with more than a dozen people, he would expect his companion to help him but did not expect to be killed instead…

He tried to tell me who killed him but Zhuang Zhidong got a few imperial guards to fight me until he breathed his last, but you did something wrong. Would ‘Iron Hammer’ Zhuang Zhidong be unable to deal with just a few thieves? Zhuang Zhidong said he killed a few masked men but I once sought the advice of Hero Ling. I checked in detail those people dead on the ground and they indeed died from ‘Seven Spinning Slashes’ and none died from a hammer injury so why would Zhuang Zhidong want to lie to me? Isn’t it obvious? Second Hero Murong said he slashed the enemy once so the one who was injured is not Zhuang Zhidong but Gao Shanqing. That’s why he masqueraded as a limping beggar which no one would take a second look, because he was injured on his leg!”

For a moment Liu Jiyan was speechless so he could only snicker.

Leng Xue continued, “Everything is just a guess, that’s why in order to obtain evidence, I lied that I am going to see Magistrate Lu but the truth is I went to find out that you, Zhuang Zhidong and Gao Shanqing are often together. The moves you use, other than the difference in weapons, the strokes are very similar and once you strike, almost no one could take the attack. Those masked men who died are indeed imperial soldiers and they are very obedient towards Gao Shanqing when they were alive. Also, when the incident with Liu Jiuru occurred, Gao and Zhuang were both neither at the magistrate office nor at the residence, so this is the proof needed. I was rushing to come back with the intention to contact Hero Ling and Fourth Hero Shen to capture you in one fell swoop but I did not expect them to already fall into your hands.”

Liu Jiyan said angrily, “Good, good. But there’s just one thing I do not understand!”

Leng Xue asked, “What!”

Liu Jiyan asked, “Even if you’re extremely intelligent, how would you know when Zhuang and Gao will attack you? And how will they attack you? If you do not know, how did you manage to avoid their seamless joint attack?”

Leng Xue replied, “Because they thought I have never suspected them, but I was already suspicious of them so I will definitely watch everything closely. Once I returned to the Jin residence, I noticed that there were fresh blood on the tree and there were also bloodstains on the bottom of Gao Shanqing’s shoes. I then knew that it’s either Hero Ling or Hero Shen who have fallen into their evil hands, or maybe they were both ambushed at the same time. I was thinking to myself: since I came back at this time, you would definitely be afraid that I would find out and so will surely kill me. I deduced that Zhuang and Gao will strike and from Second Hero Murong’s fatal injuries I could understand the positions which they usually strike so once I struck, I killed off Gao Shanqing first. The remaining Zhuang Zhidong lost his patience so death is the only way out for him.”

Liu Jiyan suddenly coughed out, “Brother Leng.”

Leng Xue remained unmoved and answered, “Hmm.”

Liu Jiyan continued, “We’ve been friends for so many years. Besides, we’re both constables so we can look out for each other in future. I ask that Brother Leng give me a chance, I will hand Hero Ling to you and as for Second and Third Junior Brothers’ deaths, I will never fight with you over it. I only ask that Brother Leng would be magnanimous and spare me.”

Leng Xue asked, “How long have you been friends with Hero Ling?”

Liu Jiyan pondered for a moment, “Three years.”

Leng Xue sniggered, “Three years of friendship and you can still kill him. If I let you off today, who will you kill another day?”

Liu Jiyan smiled wryly and asked, “Then what does Brother Leng wants me to do?”

From afar, the bamboo sound signaling the Second Watch can be heard.

Leng Xue said calmly, “There is only one path.”

Thanks for update!

Thanks Jean

I'm really starting to like this novel!
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

Sorry guys, was travelling last week so no update. here is the end of the chapter and the end of this short story.

Liu Jiyan asked, “What path.”

Leng Xue said quietly, “Walk from here to the Magistrate Court, I will escort you. You can surrender yourself.”

Liu Jiyan snickered, “Can’t do that.”

Leng Xue replied, “That’s your only path, otherwise I will apprehend you.”

Liu Jiyan laughed coldly, “If you can apprehend me, then why aren’t you doing it yet?”

Leng Xue replied, “I’ve already struck long ago, don’t you even realize that I’ve struck?”

Liu Jiyan was shaken, “Oh?”

Leng Xue said, “I’ve already found out your identity, I’ve already revealed your secret, I’ve already pointed out that you’re the killer, I’ve already killed both your helpers. I have been having the upper hand since the beginning. Your murderous intent was covered by mine, your bravado is suppressed by me, what else can you use to fight against my sharpness? You should not have listened to the words I said earlier!”

Liu Jiyan heaved a long sigh, “Indeed.”

Leng Xue said, “Since you cannot escape, then just surrender.”

Liu Jiyan suddenly exclaimed, “Since I cannot escape, then why you are unable to capture me yet?”

Leng Xue sniggered, “I’m unable to capture you?”

Liu Jiyan sniggered as well, “That’s right. Your methods can only be used to scare those petty thieves but don’t forget that I’m a constable as well. Would you have known that I’ve also struck!”

Leng Xue asked, “What have you struck?”

Liu Jiyan said calmly, “Your strike is undeniably swift, my strike is impossible to withstand but you have an injury on both your back and shoulder so it will inevitably affect the speed in which you draw your sword. You’ve been rushing around the whole day and had two vicious battles but my physical condition is still at its strongest! You’ve already killed two people earlier and your murderous air has been reduced but I have yet to fight today so if you compare murderous intent, you cannot be compared to me! Next to you there is an immobile Ling Yuxiang so I can choose to attack you or attack Ling Yuxiang in my strikes but there’s no one next to me so if you compare the situation, I win again! Why should I escape? I’m about to kill you!”

Leng Xue is already sweating as he snickered, “You won’t be able to kill me.”

Liu Jiyan replied, “Maybe I won’t be able to kill you at first but you should not have asked those questions because now you are inevitably feeling fear.”

Leng Xue smiled icily, “You can try.”

Suddenly, both of them became quiet.

The air in the hall seems frozen as well.

A fierce fight is about to begin and words will not help in the matter.

Leng Xue knows in his heart that with Liu Jiyan’s martial arts, it’ll be difficult for him to win but the other party will not find it easy to defeat him too. It’s just that both their fighting styles uses attack as a form of defense so a face to face fight will certainly result in death.

Liu Jiyan is thinking the same thing, which is why he is trying his best to put the other party down, to cause fear or carelessness in the other party so that he will have an opportunity.

Leng Xue stared at Liu Jiyan’s pipe.

Liu Jiyan stared at Leng Xue’s sword.

A single movement will start it all.

Suddenly, Liu Jiyan and Leng Xue both roared!

Both of them charged towards each other!

Would Leng Xue’s sword pierce Liu Jiyan?

Or would Liu Jiyan’s pipe stab Leng Xue?

Just as they are about to make contact, Liu Jiyan’s pipe suddenly flashed into a dozen odd streaks of flame!

It turns out that there are hidden weapons in his pipe!

By lighting the nicotine in the pipe, he is actually activating the switch in it so that it can fire out secret weapons at any time.

The sparks are flying straight towards Leng Xue!

Leng Xue did not expect this at all. ‘Chi, chi, chi’, Leng Xue flashed his sword continuously, swift and accurate as the tip of his sword bounced the sparks right off!

But Liu Jiyan has already gained the advantage of striking first!

Liu Jiyan shook his pipe and as quick as lightning, aimed it right towards Leng Xue’s chest!

Right at this time, there is suddenly another loud roar!

Ling Yuxiang, who was behind Leng Xue, suddenly flew over Leng Xue’s head together with the chair he was seated in, straight towards Liu Jiyan!

This move is akin to Mount Taishan bearing down on him!

At the same instant, Ling Yuxiang has drawn his precious sword from the broomstick!

‘Clang!’

There was a golden flash, like a rainbow arc attacking Liu Jiyan!

‘Airborne Cross Sword’!

The drug could only keep Ling Yuxiang down for two hours and by now the effect of the drug is gone. While Liu Jiyan and Leng Xue was talking, Ling Yuxiang has slowly regained his strength.

Liu Jiyan roared in anger as he shook his pipe and retaliated with a stab back!

The golden arc may be fast but the pipe is even faster!

The pipe has already disappeared into the golden arc!

The golden arc was extinguished.

‘Poof!’

Liu Jiyan’s pipe is already embedded into Ling Yuxiang’s chest!

Right at this time, Leng Xue has turned around and flashed his sword like glittering stars!

‘Poof!’

A white shadow flew past Ling Yuxiang, straight towards Liu Jiyan!

Liu Jiyan’s pipe has stabbed Ling Yuxiang, Ling Yuxiang’s sword can no longer stab down!

But Ling Yuxiang and his chair still came bearing down!

Liu Jiyan used his hand and threw Ling Yuxiang’s chair aside.

But at this split moment in time, Liu Jiyan’s vision was blocked.

The white shadow came down from the top, piercing straight into his throat!

‘Chi!’

Liu Jiyan was stunned, the bloody pipe fell.

‘Plonk!’

Ling Yuxiang and his chair fell a few feet away.

Leng Xue did not move, his sword is still in Liu Jiyan’s throat, white and shiny. He pulled it out inch by inch, and there’s not a trace of blood on it!

Liu Jiyan did not move as well, and it’s impossible for Ling Yuxiang to move.

Liu Jiyan stared at Leng Xue with a look of utter disbelief.

Leng Xue pulled out his sword violently, the sword came out and Liu Jiyan’s blood spurted out.

Liu Jiyan grabbed his throat, making gurgling noises as he stared at Leng Xue and struggled to utter, “Good, good. The Four Famed Constables of the World, Leng Xue, damn your…”

Liu Jiyan fell, never to utter the last word again.

Leng Xue was stunned for a moment before he dashed to where Ling Yuxiang fell.

Only to see a pale looking Ling Yuxiang fallen on the ground, a bloody stain on his chest.

Ling Yuxiang knows that it’s Leng Xue helping him up and he forced out a trace of smile as he said, “Thank… thank… thank you…”

Leng Xue forced his internal energy into Ling Yuxiang’s body and said, “Brother Ling, it’s all right, I’ll get a physician to see to your injuries.”

Ling Yuxiang laughed piteously, “Can you… you tell me… me, Fourth Brother Shen… Shen… has he… fallen into their hands?”

Leng Xue was silent. Ling Yuxiang replied with tears in his eyes, “I… I know… thank you for helping… us five brothers… take revenge… They are… dead so there’s no meaning… in me staying alive. Brother Leng… I beg you… of one… matter.”

Leng Xue asked, “What is it? Tell me quickly.”

Ling Yuxiang panted, “… quick… quick, give me that… piece of cloth…”

Leng Xue swiftly tore down the yellow cloth hanging in the hall. Ling Yuxiang struggled to sit up and using his bloodied hand, started writing on the cloth and mumbling at the same time, “…I…I most likely won’t be able… to go to court… I am writing this blood letter… it’s my handwriting… to testify against… the crimes of Liu Jiyan and the rest…”

Ling Yuxiang used up all his effort to finish writing the blood letter and finally fell down, exhausted. Leng Xue took over the letter as Ling Yuxiang looked at him with weary eyes and said with a slight smile, “… Liu Jiyan told me… you… you are the killer… I did not believe it… I won’t believe it…”

Leng Xue controlled his tears as he kept nodding his head, “I know, I know…”

As he said the words ‘I know’, Ling Yuxiang has already closed his eyes, bidding farewell to the world forever.

That is how the ‘Five Dragons of the Martial Arts Realm’ were totally annihilated by the three descendants of ‘Flying Blood Sword Devil’.

But the same goes to the descendants of the Sword Demon, Liu Jiyan, Zhuang Zhidong and Gao Shanqing, who all died because of this matter too!

As the saying goes, the long arms of the law are like a net that lets nothing escape.

The only question is when will this net be withdrawn?

The words that Ling Yuxiang uttered before his death still resounded in Leng Xue’s heart, “…told me… you… you are the killer… I did not believe it… I won’t believe it…”

The tears in his eyes will never fall.

But what about the tears in his heart?

Thanks Jean - was wondering where you had gone to...

Thank you for the translation!!

Thanks, Jean, for the nice translation.

Thanks Lady Jean.
    lawwoo
    Bonus. A new day.

Ha, a short but captivating story ... well done Jean ... many thanks .. looking forward to your next project ....

Thanks Jean