View Poll Results: Who would win in a deathmatch?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Xiang Wentian

3 37.50%
  • Zuo Lengchan

5 62.50%

Thread: Xiang Wentian vs Zuo Lengchan

Default Xiang Wentian vs Zuo Lengchan

Has this match-up ever been discussed? IIRC they were about to fight at Shaolin but Ren Woxing stepped in to fight instead. XWT is stated to be about a half level below RWX. Although RWX was defeated by ZLC's specifically prepared ice-based internal, that seemed to be a one-time case that wouldn't happen again in a rematch. As for ZLC's level, he seems to be not much weaker (if at all) than YBQ post-Bixie, the latter whom had to rely on trickery to win.

Let's assume this match takes place a few months after the events of Shaolin. Both contestants are in top form and ZLC hasn't been blinded yet. XWT has seen the battle at Shaolin a few months prior so he knows about ZLC's tricks.

With all that in mind, who is a favorite to win here in an all-out battle to the death?

I'd put my money on Zuo Lengchan. Of the regular orthodox martial artists, he was normally ranked third, behind the heads of Shaolin and Wudang. Ren Woxing put him at the head of the three and a half people he disrespected, and considered Zuo Lengchan as his greatest rival. Meanwhile, Xiang Wentian can be assessed as the third most dangerous figure in the Sun Moon Sect, but he never figured into Ren Woxing's ratings. It should still be a pretty close fight though.

The fight between Zuo Lengchan and Yue Buqun was a trap, and we shouldn't try to draw much from it. Yue Buqun's objective was to neutralize Zuo Lengchan without killing him while simultaneously hiding keeping his true knowledge of the Bixie Sword a secret. Throughout the fight, Yue Buqun wanted to make it look like he was losing all along.

I would also put my money on ZLC in a close match. Before I had rated him about half a level below RWX, but I think he's more like a quarter level below, so I don't think he's necessarily worse than YBQ.

There's also this quote by the narrator before the fights begin:

方證、沖虛、左冷禪三人是正教中的三大高手,任誰一人的武功都不見得會在任我行之下,比之向問天只怕尚可稍 勝半籌

Fangzheng, Chongxu, and Zuo Lengchan are three of the most formidable experts among orthodox sects, it cannot be said that any one of them are inferior to Ren Woxing, while they are likely half a level above Xiang Wentian.

zuo leng chan...

i read the comic version..
    zuo leng chan defeated ren wo xing after ren wo xing defeated fang zhen in the 1st round.

very unscrupulous

Quote Originally Posted by ToastedRossi View Post
    Ren Woxing put him at the head of the three and a half people he disrespected, and considered Zuo Lengchan as his greatest rival. Meanwhile, Xiang Wentian can be assessed as the third most dangerous figure in the Sun Moon Sect, but he never figured into Ren Woxing's ratings. It should still be a pretty close fight though.
    Not a fair assessment, why would RWX put XWT anywhere near the three and a half people he disrespected?

I put my money on XWT. Let us remember that XWT has the balls to openly go against and question DFBB and survived.

Quote Originally Posted by hyoyatika View Post
    Not a fair assessment, why would RWX put XWT anywhere near the three and a half people he disrespected?
    That's the point. Xiang Wentian isn't good enough to make either of Ren Woxing's lists whereas Zuo Lengchan is. Moreover, that was before Ren Woxing found out that he was actually underestimating Zuo Lengchan's capabilities.

Quote Originally Posted by ToastedRossi View Post
    That's the point. Xiang Wentian isn't good enough to make either of Ren Woxing's lists whereas Zuo Lengchan is. Moreover, that was before Ren Woxing found out that he was actually underestimating Zuo Lengchan's capabilities.
    Well, if we had to choose between RWX respecting or disrespecting XWT, I'm sure we all agree it would be the former. That said, it mean that for XWT to be ranked in a RWX's top 3 list, he is competing against people like FZ, FQY, CX, DFBB....nothing to be ashamed at not being able to come up top 3. For all we know, RWX actually ranks XWT 5th on that list.

If the ranking is so important, does it mean that being ranked 1st on RWX's despise list > being ranked 2nd on RWX's despise list? If so, then ZLC > FZ?

Many people forgot that XWT and DFBB were likely to be equals (both held the same rank under RWX) before the whole usurp clan leader thing happened. In fact, before DFBB learned KHBD, I would actually surmise that XWT might be a little more highly skilled than DFBB. RWX and XWT were buddies, it is logical that RWX taught him more skills.