Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smarter than 98% of the worlds population....

Default Smarter than 98% of the worlds population....

One of my cocky, full of himself best friend just said to me that he is smarter than 98% of the world's population.

He got to this conclusion by taking some IQ tests and he is always placed at the top.

I think he is a douche bag.

But......Do you think there are anybody in the world that can be smarter than 98% of the world?

QF
    有了你開心D乜都清心滿意鹹魚白菜也好好味

I'm sure such people would exist. Since if you could somehow hypothetically measure everyone's intelligence and rank them, the top 2% would obviously be considered smarter than the rest 98%.

But how to conduct such a measure validly is something that does not yet exist. And to say you're smarter based on your results on some IQ test is just silly and presumptuous.
    Because I'm somewhere in between,
    My love and my agony.

Quote Originally Posted by QF View Post
    One of my cocky, full of himself best friend just said to me that he is smarter than 98% of the world's population.

He got to this conclusion by taking some IQ tests and he is always placed at the top.

I think he is a douche bag.

But......Do you think there are anybody in the world that can be smarter than 98% of the world?

QF
    How about his EQ score?
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

You should visit the IQ thread in the academia section.

Yes he's a douche bag.

Yes hypothetically speaking, 2% of the population is smarter than the other 98% of the population. Is he one based on his IQ tests? Maybe and maybe not.
    Member of HYS fanclub -> click here to join group.

Member of TC fanclub.

You are nice to call him a best friend... well maybe he was just messing around.

Smartness can be measured and defined in so many ways. It's like saying someone is the "top chef of the world" but that typically just means 1) he won some self-important competition on cooking a specific dish that only 0.02% of the world knew about and 2) out of the 52 people who competed, the judges liked his kung pao chicken (or abubala) best.
    My personal page: http://www.whileranting.com.
    Check out my creations and read the legendary Judge Expression's Courtroom Service.

Intelligence is a broad topic though. You could be smart at one thing such as mathematics, but average at other things like like strategy and creativity.

Though the best indicator if he is better than everyone else. Is he a self made millionaire? If he is so good, he should be able to be as successful as many self made tycoons out there who are of average intelligence.

Nothing to be bragging about imho.

Top 2% is still 120 million ppl!!

Han Solo
    Wuxiapedia

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

Quote Originally Posted by Han Solo View Post
    Nothing to be bragging about imho.

Top 2% is still 120 million ppl!!

Han Solo
    Putting things in worldly perspective.
    My personal page: http://www.whileranting.com.
    Check out my creations and read the legendary Judge Expression's Courtroom Service.

Considering that the average person isn't very smart...

How would you define smart though?

Though the best indicator if he is better than everyone else. Is he a self made millionaire? If he is so good, he should be able to be as successful as many self made tycoons out there who are of average intelligence.
    Well...NBA players are also self made millionaires.....I wouldn't say they are smarter than any of us here.

His EQ is pretty low.

Still, he is a douchebag tho..

QF
    有了你開心D乜都清心滿意鹹魚白菜也好好味

Quote Originally Posted by QF View Post
    Well...NBA players are also self made millionaires.....I wouldn't say they are smarter than any of us here.

His EQ is pretty low.

Still, he is a douchebag tho..

QF
    If you're a believer of the EQ then athletes having physiological intelligence, they learn skills quicker than us and can reach further heights.

But what I mean is compared to someone with the business savvy like Bill Gates, Henry Ford, Thomas Edison, Benjamen Franklin, Anthony Robbins etc. Each of these guys found and did something the rest of the world or before everyone caught on.
    What I mean is, if you are better than almost everyone, you should be able to accomplish more than almost everyone. And usually a good indication is how much money you make.

Talk is cheap, if he really is smarter and better, he would show it with examples.

Tell him to stop wasting his life and do something useful with it.
    Last edited by Dennis Chen; 09-23-09 at 11:25 AM.

Who cares if someone has high IQ? It means jack squat in real life.

I am really smart, but I make literally dog $hit money now as can't find a halfway decent job now out of school. I'd much rather be the dummy son of some rich dude.
    What are you fighting for? Just mix them into pissing beef balls, stupid.
    SOD Pt. 7 updated Jan. 6, '08

Jiang Bao's Karaoke Corner

IQ tests cannot measure everything about a person, and a person with a high IQ doesn't make them immune to making wrong decisions or mistakes.
    Last edited by Bubblegum; 09-24-09 at 04:11 AM.

Tell him to stop wasting his life and do something useful with it.
    Ah...he has a job...so he is not wasting his life...

but I make literally dog $hit money now as can't find a halfway decent job now out of school.
    that sux...learn another skill perhaps?

I'd much rather be the dummy son of some rich dude.
    Don't we all wish....

QF
    有了你開心D乜都清心滿意鹹魚白菜也好好味

Quote Originally Posted by jiang bao View Post
    Who cares if someone has high IQ? It means jack squat in real life.
    IQ measures many aspects of intellectuality, it's not everything.

I am really smart, but I make literally dog $hit money now as can't find a halfway decent job now out of school. I'd much rather be the dummy son of some rich dude.
    The grass on the other side of the fence is always greener than yours but the best you can have is yourself. Mike Tyson and Michael Jackson made far more money than you ever make. Would you rather be them than be you yourself? Perhap you are smart and doesn't make that much money but a dollar in your hand worths a lot more than a dollar in another guy hand. If you are smart as you claimed to be, then even if you don't make that much money your life still much better than the dummy celebrities who have drug, alcohol, and/or drug problems.

I wouldn't claim to be really smart, but I am no dummy as I have a master degree in Mathematics. It took me 8.5 years to earn a BSc and MSc degrees and I only able to use it for tutoring math. Even though I make $hitty money just like you do, but I live a very decent life with the little money that I make. One of my uncles owns a renovation business that employs over 100 employees. He makes few hundred thousand a year. Do I want to change my life with his? Not once in a million year.

If you are really smart, then I think you should work as a private tutor during your spare time to earn some extra cash. I have a friend who lives in NY and he told me tutor charges $50/hour. He tutors math and charges $40/hour. Here in Toronto, I only charge $25-$30/hour.
    Last edited by Trien Chieu; 09-24-09 at 01:30 AM.

Perhaps by "population" he is referring to the whole animal kingdom. Then it sounds about right.

It seems like a great honor until you stop and think: 98% of the world's people *are* pretty stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    IQ measures many aspects of intellectuality, it's not everything.
    Yeah, I know. IQ alone means nothing.

PS, I am not bragging about smart btw. I don’t care about that. I’d much rather be a stupid good looking and rich guy.

PS x2, I am also not bitter. The above is simply to make the point that the OP’s friend is bragging about something that has little value in real life—i.e. IQ test—and from that, we can infer that the friend is a moron.
    What are you fighting for? Just mix them into pissing beef balls, stupid.
    SOD Pt. 7 updated Jan. 6, '08

Jiang Bao's Karaoke Corner