Thread: Death penalty lifted for Malaysian drug trafficker Yong Vui Kong

Default Death penalty lifted for Malaysian drug trafficker Yong Vui Kong

Death penalty lifted for Malaysian drug trafficker Yong Vui Kong

<span style="font-family: Open Sans">

SINGAPORE, Nov 14 — Yong Vui Kong has become the first drug trafficker on death row to have his sentence reduced to life imprisonment and 15 strokes of the cane, under amendments made to the Misuse of Drugs act. High court judge Justice Choo Han Teck said this morning he was satisfied that Yong, 25, has met the requirements of being only a courier under the amended law. He and another drug trafficker, Subashkaran Pragasam, 29, were also certified to have “substantively assisted” the Central Narcotics Bureau (CNB) in disrupting drug-trafficking activities within and outside the Republic in September this year.

To escape the death penalty, the men had to prove to the court “on a balance of probabilities” that they only played the role of couriers whose involvement was restricted to transporting, sending or delivering a controlled drug.
    Subashkaran has yet be re-sentenced.
    Yong’s lawyer, M Ravi, said in a media statement, “This is the happiest day of my client’s life. He feels intense gratitude towards all those who have worked so hard to save him from being executed.”
    “Yong has seen the error of his ways and has repented. He is happy to have his life back again,” he added.
    Under amendments to the Misuse of Drugs Act in November last year, judges will have the discretion to sentence a drug trafficker to life imprisonment with at least 15 strokes of the cane instead of death, if he had only played the role of a courier, and either suffers from a mental disability substantially impairing his appreciation of the gravity of the act, or has cooperated with the CNB in a “substantive” way.
    In November 2008 and October last year, Yong and Subashkaran were convicted of trafficking in more than 15 grammes of heroin respectively.
    http://www.themalaymailonline.com/ma...-yong-vui-kong

Shall Singapore lift the death penalty on Yong?
    What if he not repent to his crime?

Yes, Singapore should lift the death penalty. He did not murder/kill anyone directly though his role will have affected many adversely. In life, we should give others a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by wkeej View Post
    Yes, Singapore should lift the death penalty. He did not murder/kill anyone directly though his role will have affected many adversely. In life, we should give others a chance.
    Who will give a chance to the innocent teenagers who may die of drug overdose? Giving lenient sentence to drug dealers will encourage people to become a drug dealer. From now on, you will see drug trafficking increases drastically in Singapore.

Shall Singapore lift the death penalty on Yong?
    What if he not repent to his crime?
    The answer is NO. He knew what he did, he should pay the price accordingly regardless of whether he repent to his crime or not. He is a young man, why can't he work for a living like everyone else? I guess work for a living is harder and take a lot of time and effort. On the other hand, being a drug dealer can earn a huge amount of cash with little work. Singapore made a huge mistake for lower the penalty.
    Last edited by Trien Chieu; 11-14-13 at 12:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    Who will give a chance to the innocent teenagers who may die of drug overdose? Giving lenient sentence to drug dealers will encourage people to become a drug dealer. From now on, you will see drug trafficking increases drastically in Singapore.

The answer is NO. He knew what he did, he should pay the price accordingly regardless of whether he repent to his crime or not. He is a young man, why can't he work for a living like everyone else? I guess work for a living is harder and take a lot of time and effort. On the other hand, being a drug dealer can earn a huge amount of cash with little work. Singapore made a huge mistake for lower the penalty.
    You see, the problem is, the death penalty is a "temporary" solution. It may scare some people off the trade, but it will not totally stop it. Some of these drug mules may be in a situation where they felt they had to take the risk, or they may not even know of the death penalty. Perhaps if they knew, or if they were in a better situation, they would not have taken this path.

It seems that they just have to be educated but of course this is a much bigger issue and another topic... and not entirely an easy one either.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang View Post
    You see, the problem is, the death penalty is a "temporary" solution. It may scare some people off the trade, but it will not totally stop it. Some of these drug mules may be in a situation where they felt they had to take the risk, or they may not even know of the death penalty. Perhaps if they knew, or if they were in a better situation, they would not have taken this path.

It seems that they just have to be educated but of course this is a much bigger issue and another topic... and not entirely an easy one either.
    Sure, it will not totally stop it but it would greatly reduce the number of cases. These drug dealers are young man where they can work for living but choose to deal drugs. Freedom comes with responsibilities, actions have consequences and the punishment should fit the crime. If they want to take the risk, then they should pay for the consequences of their actions. I think it's well known that Singapore has the death penalty for dealing drugs. I don't think there is any drug dealer doesn't know about it.

Guo Xiang, I understand that work for a living is not easy as it requires to work long hours and the pay isn't all that good. On the other hand, dealing drugs can earn big buck with little effort. I thought Singaporeans against drug trafficking, it's a big surprise that you are pro drug dealers.

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    Sure, it will not totally stop it but it would greatly reduce the number of cases. These drug dealers are young man where they can work for living but choose to deal drugs. Freedom comes with responsibilities, actions have consequences and the punishment should fit the crime. If they want to take the risk, then they should pay for the consequences of their actions. I think it's well known that Singapore has the death penalty for dealing drugs. I don't think there is any drug dealer doesn't know about it.

Guo Xiang, I understand that work for a living is not easy as it requires to work long hours and the pay isn't all that good. On the other hand, dealing drugs can earn big buck with little effort. I thought Singaporeans against drug trafficking, it's a big surprise that you are pro drug dealers.
    Eh, if you really understand my point you would not have said I'm pro drug-dealers. :\ And you need to learn to have more empathy, TC.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang View Post
    Eh, if you really understand my point you would not have said I'm pro drug-dealers. :\ And you need to learn to have more empathy, TC.
    You should say this to the parents of the teenagers who passed away due to drug overdose.

Well, you want them to get a lighter sentence so obviously you support them. Sorry but I have no sympathy for the drug dealers considered what they do to society and countless lives got destroyed because of their actions.