Page 8 of 28 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Heroes Shed No Tears - Gu Long

Quote Originally Posted by ycb5959 View Post
    meaningful indeed...
    I thought it was coffee (am coffee addict )
    Haha. I usually am too but I decided to take a break for a while to clear my system. ;-P
    Current Translation: I Shall Seal the Heavens
    Recommended Translation: Heroes Shed No Tears

Quote Originally Posted by manic_miner View Post
    Thanks for your work deathblade.

I haven't read any Gu Long for a while, I guess I'll start reading this one soon.
    I hope you enjoy it!

If you want a faster read (and a completed translation) you can check out my other Gu Long translation "7 Killers."

Chapter 7 – The Lion Clan Hall of Copper Camel alley

Part 3

“Young Master Gao, I never thought you would come.” Cleats had stopped running. He knelt onto the snowy ground. “The Clan Lord said you would come looking for him, but I didn’t think Young Master Gao would really come.”

It took quite a bit of strength for Little Gao to pull this faithful friend up from the snowy ground and onto his feet.

“The one kneeling should be me,” he said to Cleats. “You saved my life.”

Cleats dried a few hot tears that had forced their way out of his eyes, and once again his expression became stern.

“Your servant realized much earlier that Cai Chong would not let any of the Clan Leader’s friends go free,” said Cleats. “Almost all of the Clan Leader’s friends have already met disaster under his treacherous hands. He hasn’t let a single one escape, not even friends from distant places.”

“Cai Chong is that cake-selling freak?”

“Exactly.”

“He clearly isn’t really a cake seller,” said Little Gao. “Who is he, exactly?”

“He’s the same as that joker named Yang. He used to be one of the Clan Lord’s trusted aides.”

“And just like Yang Jian, he betrayed the Clan Lord?”

“He’s much more abominable than Yang Jian,” said Cleats hatefully. “He betrayed the Clan Lord when he was most weak and hurt, when he needed help the most.”

Little Gao understood. “When you two returned from Chang’an, not only was the Lion Clan hall already destroyed, but Cai Chong had also turned on you.” Little Gao sighed. “Those two days must have been very difficult.”

“Yes. Very difficult.”

“But no matter how difficult the days are, they will pass.”

“Yes.” Cleats repeated Little Gao’s words like a puppet: “They will pass.”

Suddenly, an indescribable expression of bitterness and grief shone from his eyes. It was the look of someone sinking down into quicksand, sinking so deep that they could never escape.

Little Gao suddenly felt a sinking feeling.

—Cai Chong betrayed Zhu Meng at his greatest time of need, and yet Zhu Meng still had let him live happily and freely in the world?

This wasn’t Zhu Meng’s style.

Little Gao looked at Cleats’ eyes, and very slowly asked him, “You don’t dare to tell me, do you?”

Cleats suddenly seemed anxious. “Don’t dare to tell you what?”

Little Gao gripped his shoulder forcefully. “Has your Clan Lord already fallen victim of some murderous scheme?”

“He hasn’t.”

“He really hasn’t?”

“He really hasn’t.” Cleats seemed to be trying to put on a cheerful expression. “Your servant can take Young Master Gao to see him right now.”

Part 4

A withered forest packed with snow, a hideous looking crag.

In front of the crag burned a fire, and sitting on top of the crag was a person.

It was a person who seemed to have lost their essence, like a vulture who for a very long time hasn’t seen a corpse.

The flames flickered on the person’s face.

It was a face filled with loneliness, hopelessness and sorrow. The thick brows were furrowed in anxiety, and the exhausted eyes, sunken deeply into the cheekbones, gazed fixedly into the fire, as if they expected a miracle to spring forth from the flames.

It was Zhu Meng.

“Fierce Lion” Zhu Meng had always been a strong and courageous person, a true man that no one could knock down.

But Cleats prostrated himself before the stone. “Reporting to Clan Leader. The person Clan Leader most wants to see is now here.”

Little Gao did not shed a tear.

Tears filled his eyes and threatened to roll down, but he did not shed a tear.

He hadn’t shed tears for many years.

Zhu Meng had raised his head and looked at him blankly, as if he had no idea who was standing in front of him.

Little Gao hung his head.

Now he understood the look of despair in Cleats’ eyes. What he didn’t understand was how the heroic man who that day in Red Flower Bazaar had slain a man on horseback in the blink of an eye, could possibly be knocked down as easily as this.

“Little Gao, Gao Jianfei.”

Zhu Meng suddenly let out a savage shout, then leaped down from the rock, rushed forward and embraced Little Gao.

In this moment, it seemed as if he was suddenly full of vitality again. “I knew you would come, and here you are.”

He held Little Gao tightly, his face pressing against Little Gao’s.

He laughed, a hearty laugh at the top of his lungs, just as he had laughed that day in Red Flower Bazaar when he had beheaded his opponent.

But Little Gao suddenly realized that his face was wet.

—Was someone shedding tears? Who was shedding tears?

“The wanderer sings three songs, he doesn’t sing sorrowful melodies,
    In the world of mortals, there are already too many sorrowful things.
    The wanderer sings a song for the king, urging the king not to shed tears, if some injustice exists in the world of men, drink to excess, brandish a blade and sever heads.”

Thanks again!

Thanks deathblade

Thanks, deathblade.

A lot of tears for the heroes...

Thanks deathblade

Quote Originally Posted by ycb5959 View Post
    A lot of tears for the heroes...
    Haha. Apparently tearing up, and shedding tears are two different things for heroes.

And my take on the whole thing is that the tears were shed by Zhu Meng, not Gao Jianfei.

Chapter 7 – The Lion Clan Hall of Copper Camel alley

Part 5

An iron spear and a copper pot. A pot of unfiltered rice wine.

A fire.

Cleats hung the pot over the fire with the spear to heat the wine. The cold wind whistled through the branches of the pine trees. The wine wasn’t hot yet.

But Little Gao’s blood was hot.

“Zhuo Donglai,” said Zhu Meng. “That bastard really is a freaking character.” He had already drunk three pots full of wine. “Even though he attacked my old lair, I have to admire him.” As his belly filled with the rice wine, his heroic spirit began to rejuvenate. “But admire or not, sooner or later there will come a day that I will cut off his head and use it as a chamber pot.”

Little Gao looked at him for a long time. “Why haven’t you gone after him yet?”

Zhu Meng suddenly stood up, then slowly sat down again, his face once again covered with a look of despair and sorrow.

“I can’t go now,” said Zhu Meng. “If I go, she’ll be dead for sure.”

“Who will be dead? A woman?” (1)

Zhu Meng shook his head. He said nothing, but instead took a drink.

“Is it also because of her that you don’t kill Cai Chong?” asked Little Gao.

Zhu Meng shook his head again. After a long time, he responded in a hoarse and broken voice: “Do you know how many people that little son of a ***** took with him?”

“How many did he take?”

“All of them.”

“All of them?” Little Gao was shocked. “Don’t tell me all the disciples of the Lion Clan are following him?”

“Other than Cleats, they were all bought over by him. These past few years, he’s been managing the funds for me. All of the wealth going in and out of the Lion Clan went through his hands. I never payed any attention to it.”

“So you think that going after him would be useless, because he has more men than you.”

Zhu Meng didn’t admit it. It seemed the heroic spirit just recently awakened by the strong alcohol had suddenly vanished again.

He held his wine bowl with two gaunt hands, drinking one mouthful at a time of scalding liquor. Other than the bowl of wine, it seemed he didn’t care about anything in the world.

Little Gao felt stabbed to the heart.

He suddenly realized that not only had Zhu Meng’s appearance deteriorated, his heart was also beginning to rot.

Before, if he knew someone who had betrayed him still walked the streets waiting to assassinate his friends, even a thousand men and horses couldn’t protect that person. He would ride on horseback, brandishing his blade, to find that person and behead them.

—Maybe that was one of the main reasons why the disciples of his clan had betrayed him.

Who in Jianghu would be willing to follow a leader who had lost their courage?

Little Gao truly could not understand how such a strong and stalwart man could change in this way. And how could he change so quickly?

He didn’t ask Zhu Meng.

Zhu Meng was already drunk. He got drunk much more quickly than before.

It seemed that his mighty bones only had a layer of thin flesh on them. Now that he was drunk, he looked like the skeleton of a fierce lion.

Little Gao couldn’t bear to look at him again.

The firelight still flickered, and Cleats was still heating wine. Cleats didn’t look at him. His eyes were yet again filled with that look of hopelessness bitterness and pain.

Little Gao stood up and walked over, and handed him his bowl of wine.

Cleats hesitated, but finally drank a mouthful.

Little Gao took the iron spear from him, and then poured another bowl of wine, drank it, and sighed. “I didn’t misjudge you. You really are a good friend.”

“Your servant is not the Clan Lord’s friend.” Cleats’ expression was very solemn. “I’m not worthy.”

“You’re wrong. In this world, you might be his only true friend. And only you are worthy to be his friend!”

“Your servant isn’t worthy,” Cleats said again. “I don’t dare to think in that way.”

“But you are the only person who stuck with him.”

“That’s because my life belongs to him. Your servant will follow him forever.”

“But look at what he’s become.”

“It doesn’t matter what he becomes, he’s still my Clan Lord,” said Cleats resolutely. “That will never change.”

“Seeing him change so much, aren’t you hurt in your heart?”

Cleats didn’t say anything.

Little Gao poured another bowl of wine, watched Cleats drink it, then let out another sigh. “I know that your heart must feel as bad as mine. And you must also hope that he can pull himself together again.”

Cleats said nothing.

Little Gao stared at him. “Unfortunately, I can’t think of any way to help him.”

Cleats drank another bowl. This time he had poured it for himself.

Little Gao also drank another bowl, then in a loud voice said, “You can’t think of a way, but I can think of a way.”

Cleats suddenly lifted his head and stared at Little Gao.

“But first you must tell me, how come he is acting like this?” Little Gao was also staring at Cleats. “Is it really because of a woman?”

“Young Master Gao,” Cleats said, seemingly on the verge of tears. “Why do you have to ask me about this?”

“I have to ask. To cure a sickness, you must first determine the cause of the illness.”

Cleats had seemed ready to speak out, but he suddenly shook his head forcefully. “Your servant can’t say. Dares not say.”

“Why?”

Cleats simply sat down and put his head in his hands, ignoring Little Gao.

—Why had Zhu Meng changed in this way? Was it really because of a woman?

—Who was this woman? Where was she? Why didn’t Cleats dare to talk about it?

The night was deeper, colder. The fire was dying.

Struggling a bit, Cleats stood up and then quietly said, “Your servant needs to find some more firewood for the fire.”

Before he could walk off, Zhu Meng, dreaming drunkenly, let out a roar.

“Die Wu, you can’t go.”(2) He shouted again hoarsely. “You’re mine, no one can take you away from me.”

This roar seemed like a whip slashing at Cleats’ body.

He suddenly began trembling.

Zhu Meng turned over and continued sleeping. Little Gao barred Cleats’ way, grasping his shoulders.

“It’s Die Wu, it’s definitely Die Wu,” he said. “Zhu Meng must have changed in this way because of her.”

Cleats lowered his head, and at long last admitted that this was the truth.

“Is she still in Luo Yang?” asked Little Gao

“She’s not. When your servant and the Clan Leader were returning from Chang’an that night, people attacked the Lion Clan Hall in the middle of the night. Cai Chong was on duty, and because of his laxness, the enemy succeeded easily. Not only did they burn down the Lion Clan hall, they killed more than forty of our brothers, and then just swaggered off.”

“They were definitely sent by Zhuo Donglai.”

“They must have been,” said Cleats. “Not only were they professionals, they also were very familiar with our internal situation.”

“The Lion Clan must have been infiltrated by some of Zhuo Donglai’s men.”

“Therefore, some people suspect that Cai Chong intended to betray the Clan Leader all along. Others say that he was lax in his watch and feared punishment by the Clan Leader, and so therefore betrayed him.”

“Did Die Wu go along with Cai Chong?”

Cleats shook his head. “Miss Die never liked that idiot, how could she go along with him?”

“Don’t tell me she was kidnapped by Zhuo Donglai’s men? He wants to use her as a hostage to threaten Zhu Meng?”

Cleats sighed. “It’s for this very reason that the Clan Leader isn’t willing to go to Chang’an to settle accounts with Sima.”

“Even if Cai Chong hadn’t gone against him, he still wouldn’t go?”

“Most likely not. If the Clan Leader went to Chang’an,” he said sadly, “those bastards would probably bring out Miss Die immediately and put her to the sword.” He yet again seemed to be on the verge of tears. “The Clan Lord told me before, as long as Miss Die is able to live a good life, he can deal with any sort of suffering.”

“So it’s because of this Miss Die that your Clan Leader has become so depressed, not willing to do a single thing. And Cai Chong can strut around the streets doing whatever he wants.”

“Your servant never thought that the Clan Leader would become so infatuated with a woman. Even in my dreams I never imagined it.”

At first, Cleats thought that Little Gao would find the whole thing very ridiculous. Pitiful and ridiculous.

But he was wrong.

He suddenly noticed that Little Gao’s eyes were also filled with sorrow, and that he was staring blankly out into the darkness.

—A nameless woman, a romantic love that could never be forgotten.

Of course, Cleats didn’t know about this. After a long time he heard Little Gao speaking in a soft and sentimental tone: “Your Clan Leader hasn’t changed. He’s still a man. Only true men can care about others. If he didn’t care at all about the lives of others, you wouldn’t stick with him.”

“Correct.” Cleats seemed afraid to say more. But after a few moments, he gathered his courage and said, “Young Master Gao, there’s something your servant would like to say to you.”

“Go ahead.”

“Everyone should care about others. But to torment oneself because of others isn’t correct. Doing that will only cause the people you care about to be hurt and disappointed.”

Little Gao gave a forced laugh, and then changed the topic.

“There’s a spot over there that’s protected from the wind. I’m going to sleep a bit. You should sleep as well.”

The world was silent. The only sound that could be heard was the crackling of the dead firewood.

Cleats placed a thick felt blanket onto the rock and rolled Zhu Meng onto it, then covered him with two more felt blankets. Afterwards, he laid onto the cold rock next to Zhu Meng and fell asleep, shrunken up like a shelled shrimp.

Before daybreak, he was awoken by the cold, and discovered that Little Gao had already awakened.

In the dim early-morning light, he could see Little Gao washing his face with snow. And then it looked as if he was unwrapping the bundle he always carried.

Cleats couldn’t see if it was a sword inside the bundle, let alone what the sword looked like.

He didn’t dare to look closely.

He pretended that he didn’t see anything at all.

But his heart was pounding, pounding oh so quickly.

Part Six

By the time Zhu Meng woke up, the sky was bright. Cleats had woken earlier, and was boiling water at the fire.

Little Gao was gone.

Zhu Meng sat up, looking around with his bloodshot eyes. Little Gao was nowhere to be seen.

He let out a low animal-like growl from his throat.”

“He left too?” he asked Cleats. “When did he go? Where did he go? Is he coming back?”

“Your servant must report to Clan Leader, when Young Master Gao left, he didn’t say anything, and I’m not sure where he went. But Clan Leader should be able to figure it out, because Young Master Gao is Clan Leader’s friend.”

Zhu Meng had grown listless from sorrow and disappointment, but when he heard these words come forth from Cleats’ mouth, he suddenly roused himself. His bloodshot eyes shone as he rose to his feet.

“You’re right. I definitely should know where he went. Cleats,” he said in a strong voice, “We must go too.”

“Yes.” Cleats’ spirit also seemed to be roused, and there were tears in his eyes as he said, “Your servant already prepared everything. Your servant has always been ready. Your servant has been waiting all day.”

(1) I fudged a bit in the translation because in spoken Chinese there is no distinction between “he” and “she.” When you refer to someone, it’s generally not clear which gender you’re talking about unless you specify.
    (2) This name is comprised of two characters. The first character 蝶 “die” is from the word “butterfly.” In case you’re not familiar with Chinese pronunciation, it’s not pronounced like the English word die, but phonetically like “dyeh.” The second character 舞 “wu” means “dance.” So her name literally could be translated “Butterfly Dance.”
    Last edited by deathblade; 02-10-14 at 11:10 PM. Reason: fixed mistake found by LuDongBin

End of Chapter 7!

Thanks deathblade for another update.

Thanks for coming for far in the updates!

Chapter 8: No Turning Back

Part 1

The seventh day of the second month of the lunar calendar.

Luoyang.

Cai Chong sat on a stool made from four pieces of wood and a strip of canvas. He looked at the crowds of people on the street, his face gloomy. Anyone could see that he wasn’t in a good mood today.

Little Gao had been a turtle in a jar, a fish in a net. Who could have imagined that at the very last moment he would slip from his grasp?

Maybe it was because everything Cai Chong did usually went so smoothly, and succeeded so quickly. Therefore it led to this kind negligence.

Actually, during this period of time, he hadn’t forgotten about Zhu Meng.

He knew Zhu Meng hadn’t left Luoyang. If he really went looking, he could find him.

But he didn’t go looking, not because he was ashamed, but because he didn’t dare.

Even though he had assumed Zhu Meng’s position, he still had an unspeakable fear of him deep in his heart.

This fear had taken root in his heart during his years of service under Zhu Meng.

Even now, when he thought of Zhu Meng, his hands and feet would grow cold, and his body would break out in sweat. Sometimes he would be woken by nightmares in the middle of the night, then lie alone in bed drenched with sweat, trembling.

He wanted Zhu Meng to come looking for him.

He had already filled the entire street with deadly traps and ambushes. A word from him, and everything would be sprung. Even if Zhu Meng was at the top of his form, he still wouldn’t be able to escape.

And so, early every morning, he would sit there selling sliced sweet cakes, using himself as bait to lure in the big fish Zhu Meng.

Even though this was dangerous, as long as Zhu Meng was alive he would never be able to have a good night’s rest for the rest of his life.

It was a busy street, filled with teahouses, flower shops, and food markets. Even early in the morning it was very busy. Right now it was early, and packed with people, just as it had been the past two days. About half of the people filling the street were waiting in ambush. Among them were members of the Lion Clan, but some were also mercenaries from distant places.(1)

These people would do anything for money.

Zhu Meng had never seen any of them before, and they had no feeling whatsoever for him.

Even if some of the old members of the Lion Clan were like Cai Chong, fearful of Zhu Meng, and hesitant to make a move at the moment of truth, these mercenaries had no family and were desperate.

When he thought about this, Cai Chong felt a little more at ease. And at that same moment, he saw someone walking down the street.

“Little Gao, Gao Jianfei!”

Cai Chong could barely believe his eyes.

The person who had narrowly escaped death yesterday was now coming back especially to deliver up his life.

Part 2

Little Gao wore only a coarse pair of trousers. His gown was thrown over his shoulder.

His face was flushed, and his eyes bloodshot. Clearly he hadn’t had much sleep.

But he seemed in good spirits, calm and unruffled, not very much different from the people nearby who had come to have morning tea.

Those who recognized him were staring at him in shock, their eyes filling with murderous intent.

Little Gao didn’t care a whit.

Many were already preparing to make a move, but strangely, Cai Chong didn’t give the signal, even as Little Gao walked up right in front of him.

Little Gao stood in front of Cai Chong’s cake-filled wooden table. There were several layers of cakes on the table, each covered with coarse cloth. Little Gao threw two coins onto the table and looked at Cai Chong.

“I want to buy two coins worth of sweet cakes. I want the kind with dates.”

Cai Chong looked at him for a long time, then laughed. “You really came to buy sweet cakes?”

“What you’re selling is sweet cakes, of course what I’m buying is sweet cakes. What’s strange about that? What’s funny about it?”

“It’s definitely not funny, not funny at all. It’s definitely something to weep about.”

“Then why aren’t you crying?”

“Because the one who should be crying is you.”

“Oh?”

“You’re still alive.” Cai Chong asked him coldly, “Do you know why you’re still alive?”

“I don’t know.”

“Because I want to ask you something,” said Cai Chong. “Why did you come here? Are you here to speak for Zhu Meng? Give me his requirements? To beg for leniency?”

Little Gao looked at him, for a long time, and then sighed. “I guess people can’t hide their true intentions from you.”

Cai Chong laughed again.

“Actually, Zhu Meng can come himself. No matter what, we are still brothers.” Cai Chong seemed to be very sincere in what he said. “As long as there aren’t any excessive requirements, I’m willing to comply with anything he requests.”

“Really?”

“Of course. I really don’t want to beat around the bush with him. His lair was turned upside-down, everyone’s exhausted and has suffered losses. Having outsiders come to take advantage doesn’t do any good at all, right?”

“You’re right, there’s nothing good about it at all.”

“So you might as well go back and tell him that yourself. I’m sure you can tell that I’m acting in good faith.”

“Of course I can tell. I just think it’s a bit strange.”

“What’s strange?”

“Don’t tell me you never thought that I might have come here to kill you for Zhu Meng?”

Cai Chong smiled, and his narrow, knife-like eyes seemed to be filled with amusement. “You’re a smart person. How could you do something like that? This street is filled with my people. If you make a single move, any and all of them could kill you. There’s no way you could escape death.”

“I believe it,” said Little Gao. “I can see exactly what you’re talking about.”

“You’re still young, you have a lot of bright prospects. You don’t have a very deep relationship with Zhu Meng; why would you give up your life for him?” Cai Chong smilled and shook his head. “You definitely wouldn’t do something like that.”

Little Gao also smiled. “You’re completely correct. Even the stupidest idiot under heaven would do something like that.”

Cai Chong smiled, a smile filled with joy.

And as his smile was the most joyful, he suddenly saw an undulating flash of light, and then a sharp sword stabbed into his heart.

The smile froze, just like the smile on a poorly constructed wooden mask.

In that exact moment, all the sound and movement on the street seemed to freeze. And then in the same moment, everything seemed to explode, as if the street had turned into a pot of boiling congee on a burning oven.

The only person who could maintain their calm was Little Gao.

What he had come to accomplish, must be accomplished, regardless of the prospects of success or defeat, regardless of the prospects of life or death. He hadn’t thought about those things.

Now, his mission was accomplished. He had seen with his own eyes the traitor receive his just reward. He didn’t care about anything else.

Even though he didn’t care, others cared.

The crowds of people, in turmoil, still hadn’t made a move. Suddenly, a huge shadow filled the sky as a person dropped down next to Little Gao and grasped his hand.

“This is my friend,” Zhu Meng roared like a fierce lion. “Touch him over my dead body!”

(1) The word I’m translating as mercenary is usually translated as desperado or outlaw. I think in this context mercenary is a better translation, but the implication is that they are lawless desperate Jianghu wanderers.
    Last edited by deathblade; 02-09-14 at 10:23 AM. Reason: forgot to include name of chapter

That's all of Chapter 8

It was so cool and so short, I couldn't stop myself from finishing it tonight!

Thanks deathblade - you are spoiling us with the fast update.

Thanks, deathblade.

A minor omission I think:
    He suddenly realized that not only had Zhu Meng’s appearance deteriorated, his heart was also beginning to rot.

Thanks!!!!

Thanks deathblade

Thanks, deathblade.