Thread: The removal of Cheung 3 Fung's execution of Sung Ching Sheu in HSDS Ed. 3

Default The removal of Cheung 3 Fung's execution of Sung Ching Sheu in HSDS Ed. 3

In the most recent edition of HSDS, Jin Yong edited out the scene of Sung Ching Sheu's execution by his grandteacher, Cheung 3 Fung. Jin Yong never stated his reason for making this change, but I think it's likely because he didn't want Cheung 3 Fung to appear cruel.

I'm not sure I see Cheung 3 Fung's execution of Sung Ching Sheu, as depicted in the first two editions of HSDS, as cruel. If anything, it seemed to be a mercy killing. Through his own mistakes, Sung Ching Sheu had ruined his life, leaving him a quadriplegic vegetable, a disgraced traitor to his sect, and a murderer of his own seventh martial uncle, to say nothing of being exploited and played for a fool by the woman he loved. When Cheung 3 Fung landed that lethal strike upon Sung Ching Sheu, it seemed more an act of compassion than an act of punishment.

I can't remember if Song Qingshu was quadriplegic in the novel. Even if he was, couldn't Zhang Wuji heal him?

I honestly prefer it in the 3rd edition where Zhang SanFeng did not kill him. I always thought of ZSF as a great, wise man, kinda like Sweeper Monk. I believe the reason given in 2nd edition for the execution was "SQS was beyond redemption". But I feel that Sweeper Monk would have tried to reform SQS.

ZSF not killing SQS would put him more in line with the wise image I have of him, on a level similar to Sweeper Monk.

The scene that replaced the execution in the 3rd edition was seriously awkward though. SQS suddenly tried to jump out of the litter he was carried in on to kneel to his father and Z3F, and his head basically fell apart!

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Kwok View Post
    The scene that replaced the execution in the 3rd edition was seriously awkward though. SQS suddenly tried to jump out of the litter he was carried in on to kneel to his father and Z3F, and his head basically fell apart!
    Wow, now that sounds more like horror than Wuxia haha

At least this scene carries a hint of repentance from SQS.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackRaven View Post
    I can't remember if Song Qingshu was quadriplegic in the novel. Even if he was, couldn't Zhang Wuji heal him?

I honestly prefer it in the 3rd edition where Zhang SanFeng did not kill him. I always thought of ZSF as a great, wise man, kinda like Sweeper Monk. I believe the reason given in 2nd edition for the execution was "SQS was beyond redemption". But I feel that Sweeper Monk would have tried to reform SQS.

ZSF not killing SQS would put him more in line with the wise image I have of him, on a level similar to Sweeper Monk.
    Sung Ching Sheu was so far gone by that point, physically, emotionally, socially, and morally, that I viewed Cheung 3 Fung's act of taking his life an act of compassion. If Sung Ching Sheu had lived, every moment of the remainder of his life would have been pure hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Sung Ching Sheu was so far gone by that point, physically, emotionally, socially, and morally, that I viewed Cheung 3 Fung's act of taking his life an act of compassion. If Sung Ching Sheu had lived, every moment of the remainder of his life would have been pure hell.
    For the scenario that SQS was paralyzed and near vegetable like the one you described earlier, then I agree that killing him would be an act of mercy. I suppose the notion of a noble death or a warrior's death that is prevalent in Wuxia culture would make people look kindly on a grandmaster performing euthanasia on his young disciple.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackRaven View Post
    For the scenario that SQS was paralyzed and near vegetable like the one you described earlier, then I agree that killing him would be an act of mercy. I suppose the notion of a noble death or a warrior's death that is prevalent in Wuxia culture would make people look kindly on a grandmaster performing euthanasia on his young disciple.
    Even from a layperson's perspective, Cheung 3 Fung's act seems compassionate. Sung Ching Sheu was suffering, far in excess for his crimes.

I've always felt a bit bad for Song Qingshu. He was pretty much the top of his generation before Wuji appeared, was talented in martial arts as well as the literary arts, and a very handsome young man.

The appearance of Zhang Wuji pretty much shattered his world. These guys are incredibly young and it's easy to judge as readers, but man as a 20 year old we have all done some pretty dumb, dumb things.

Quote Originally Posted by tape View Post
    I've always felt a bit bad for Song Qingshu. He was pretty much the top of his generation before Wuji appeared, was talented in martial arts as well as the literary arts, and a very handsome young man.

The appearance of Zhang Wuji pretty much shattered his world. These guys are incredibly young and it's easy to judge as readers, but man as a 20 year old we have all done some pretty dumb, dumb things.
    Sung Ching Sheu did some things that were wrong, but I felt that his punishment *far* surpassed what he deserved for his crimes. The collapse of his life was nightmarish.

Senior Member Mandred Skavenslayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Sung Ching Sheu did some things that were wrong, but I felt that his punishment *far* surpassed what he deserved for his crimes. The collapse of his life was nightmarish.
    But we must also remembered SQS also had a lot of advantages that he blew. Born into Wulin equivalent to Royalty, had a strict but loving father, good health and looks.

Other people went through even greater trauma but didn't turn out the way he did. For example ZWJ lost both his parents but didn't get bitter, the 6th Wudang hero lost the love of his life and got publicly humiliated but did not become a peeping tom.