Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Legend of Qin 《秦时明月》 - Lu Yi, Jiang Jin Fu, Michelle Chen, Sun Yi Zhou

I'm only up to ep 7. Tian Ming doesn't get any better? He's pretty annoying, not sure if I can continue. lol Hopefully he tone it down later. I have a hard time rooting for him. Some of the stuff he does is so childish. I know he's suppose to be a child, but still. I'm not feeling his suppose romance either. Ge Nie is a much better character. And he's asleep for the most part, at least where I'm at.

Wei Zhuang and his gang are a much more interesting bunch. Chi Lian is pretty and cool. Shao Si Ming is also a more interesting character than Gao Yue. Hopefully the plot picks up as well. So far it's slow.

Quote Originally Posted by wuxiarocks View Post
    I'm only up to ep 7. Tian Ming doesn't get any better? He's pretty annoying, not sure if I can continue. lol Hopefully he tone it down later. I have a hard time rooting for him. Some of the stuff he does is so childish. I know he's suppose to be a child, but still. I'm not feeling his suppose romance either. Ge Nie is a much better character. And he's asleep for the most part, at least where I'm at.

Wei Zhuang and his gang are a much more interesting bunch. Chi Lian is pretty and cool. Shao Si Ming is also a more interesting character than Gao Yue. Hopefully the plot picks up as well. So far it's slow.
    I am still tearing my hair out when Tian Ming is on the screen. I know he is a whiny teenager with lots of questions but he is very very very annoying still at ep 28. And Jiang Jing Fu's overacting doesn't help. Does he normally act like that or did the director tell him to?

Gao Yue has an interesting family which will be very important to the plot later on, but for now, she is boring.

The plot does pick up with a very interesting backstory of things that happened before and now are slowly entwining together but it is interjected with silly scenes of the Mo Jia dudes or the teenage gang behaving like idiots. In fact, I don't care about the draggy love triangle. The flashbacks are not so bad but I think I have seen Jing Ke die like 20 times by now.

Chi Lian is pretty cool. Can't wait when she hooks up with Shao Yu.

click to show/hide spoilers
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://game.people.com.cn/NMediaFile/2015/1202/MAIN201512021229000217797862336.jpg')
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.mxpcp.com/uploadfile/2015/1110/20151110041210602.jpg')
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://npic7.edushi.com/cn/zixun/zh-chs/2015-12/28/07404c707fb64eefa36ecf85e0e96cfb.jpg')
    Last edited by charbydis; 12-29-15 at 11:44 AM.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

Lenje, look at this!

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooo!
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.southmoney.com/uploads/allimg/151208/162412F30-0.jpg')

Bai Feng!
    Last edited by charbydis; 12-29-15 at 12:10 PM.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

Perhaps I'm getting used to Jiang Jing Fu's acting, because I now think his portrayal is actually not that bad. Yes, Tian Ming is still annoying, but he's a teen. He and Shao Yu are those hormone-driven, impulsive teens. Although, yeah, considering their respective upbringings, both shouldn't have been that bratty.

Michelle has been less annoying, but I still can't warm up to DMR. And I still can't feel her chemistry with Lu Yi either *sigh*.

Quote Originally Posted by wuxiarocks View Post
    Hopefully the plot picks up as well. So far it's slow.
    Quote Originally Posted by charbydis View Post
    The plot does pick up with a very interesting backstory of things that happened before and now are slowly entwining together but it is interjected with silly scenes of the Mo Jia dudes or the teenage gang behaving like idiots. In fact, I don't care about the draggy love triangle. The flashbacks are not so bad but I think I have seen Jing Ke die like 20 times by now.
    I agree with charbydis, the plot picks up with interesting background. But I wish they'd tone down a bit with the flashbacks, which tend to drag the plot. The pace is indeed slowing, but not to an intolerable level.

@wuxiarocks, don't worry, Ge Nie will soon recover and we get a few sword fighting scenes between him and Wei Zhuang

The cringeworthy CGI started to kick in episodes 20s, but again, to me they're still tolerable. It helps that they use muted colors, so it doesn't feel too cosplaying (ala Ancient Swords or Legend of Zu).

I also think the Quicksand gang is pretty cool. I've warmed up to the White Phoenix and am curious about his background.

Lenje, look at this!

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Bai Feng!
    Is it Bai Feng, or is it Da Siming and Shao Siming? What happened?

BTW, Charby, is the Eunuch's waiting lady Gao Yue's mom's twin sister? I hate that the writers took the oh-so-cliche way of two sisters competing for love. Although I also wonder if her jealousy isn't necessarily because she also loved Ju Zi, but rather that her sister could escape from the Eunuch.

OK. Up to ep 28. Still not digging the main couples. Tian Ming is annoying and bratty. I prefer the dynamic Ice Cream duo who rocks when they fight together. I'm also going to start shipping DSM and SSM even though they are not a couple. I prefer the Ju San Liu Sha over the Mo Jia dudes at the moment because they seem like a group of over-confident, sentimental, unorganized mob.

I feel sad for Wei Zhuang at the moment, but the huge injury may do him some good since it prevents him from falling deeper into the politics. It was nice to know the back story for the twins.
    I am mourning my Ju Zi now. But I am glad that Canti got an important role. But giving the position to the immature Tian Ming is bad.
    I wish there were more fighting scenes with Gao Jianli and Xuenv. Why are they called the Icecream couple?
    I don't get the handing over to Tianming either! What's his reasoning again?

Oh wow, Viki has subbed ALL episodes! Awesome!

The more I watch Sui Yong Liang, the more convinced I am with his talent. He displays some comic acts in Wu Xin, complete with appropriate facial expression. And here he has to give more serious presentation, a character with grief about his past, conflicted emotions about his feelings for Xue Nv. Compared to Ian Wang, as much as I love his portrayal as Commander Gu, he pretty much shows similar gestures and expressions in WuXin and in Legend of Qin. Based on what I read, Sui Yong Liang didn't have formal education in drama (I think he started as a model?), so I admire his talent.

Quote Originally Posted by lenje View Post
    Perhaps I'm getting used to Jiang Jing Fu's acting, because I now think his portrayal is actually not that bad. Yes, Tian Ming is still annoying, but he's a teen. He and Shao Yu are those hormone-driven, impulsive teens. Although, yeah, considering their respective upbringings, both shouldn't have been that bratty.

Michelle has been less annoying, but I still can't warm up to DMR. And I still can't feel her chemistry with Lu Yi either *sigh*.

I agree with charbydis, the plot picks up with interesting background. But I wish they'd tone down a bit with the flashbacks, which tend to drag the plot. The pace is indeed slowing, but not to an intolerable level.

I also think the Quicksand gang is pretty cool. I've warmed up to the White Phoenix and am curious about his background.

Is it Bai Feng, or is it Da Siming and Shao Siming? What happened?

BTW, Charby, is the Eunuch's waiting lady Gao Yue's mom's twin sister? I hate that the writers took the oh-so-cliche way of two sisters competing for love. Although I also wonder if her jealousy isn't necessarily because she also loved Ju Zi, but rather that her sister could escape from the Eunuch.

I'm glad that I'm not the only one that thinks DMR is annoying. Her constant yelling is extremely unnecessary, I'm wondering if that's what her character is like in the anime as well. I honestly don't know what Ge Nie sees in her and forgives her for the bratty things she says to him. Opposites attract and love is blind I guess. I see more chemistry between Ge Nie and Wei Zhang than them.

With Tianming, I guess casting someone with mature features doesn't help. I believe his character is suppose to be 12-16 years old? Jiang Jing Fu looks his age so it's hard to forgive how childish and unreasonable TianMing is in the drama.

sigh the storyline is quite dragging , i pressed too much skip button and up to ep 30, the leading male character didn't improve much. The leading lady character also a bit flat.
    Last edited by 12blbl; 01-11-16 at 10:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mystiquez View Post
    I'm glad that I'm not the only one that thinks DMR is annoying. Her constant yelling is extremely unnecessary, I'm wondering if that's what her character is like in the anime as well. I honestly don't know what Ge Nie sees in her and forgives her for the bratty things she says to him. Opposites attract and love is blind I guess. I see more chemistry between Ge Nie and Wei Zhang than them.

With Tianming, I guess casting someone with mature features doesn't help. I believe his character is suppose to be 12-16 years old? Jiang Jing Fu looks his age so it's hard to forgive how childish and unreasonable TianMing is in the drama.
    I never watched the anime, but from what I read, DMR is portrayed quite aloof there. I don't get why the drama scriptwriter decided otherwise. She gets better in the later episodes though, but I hate it everytime she gestures to hit someone. On the other hand, one aspect that I like is that her role is not reduced to be merely a love interest once she and Ge Nie become an item.

As for Tian Ming, I think the drama shows his character maturing
    particularly in the last few episodes after they manage to take Gao Yue back

To be honest, I am a little disappointed that there are so many angsty romances here. It's also become very draggy
    with Gao Jianli and Xue Nv's death arc taking more time than necessary, complete with Ge Nie being emotionally affected by it
    . It's already 42 episodes and they have yet to start the romance arc between Shaoyu and Chilian. I like what I saw in the trailer, so I look forward to it, as well as the scenes between Ge Nie and Wei Zhuang.

When are Chelian and Shaoyu going to get together? I am getting bored with all the repeated flashbacks.
    Cyril Connolly

http://kibescorporation.blogspot.com...-qin-2015.html

Posted my (very negative) review of this series, probably the worst costume drama of 2015.

Michelle Chen and Jiang Jinfu are both incredibly irritating to watch, plus Lu Yi’s usual underacting.

Unbearably bad drama, even worse than Tangren’s other overrated productions.

Endless character development with no actual plot of which to speak.

Li Guoli continuing to prove that he is the most overrated director in this industry. The guy seriously has no concept of pacing or plot advancement.

Will now go back to finish The Four (2015), which is engaging and entertaining, a far superior product, in storytelling, acting, direction, writing, pacing, likable characters, and martial arts choreography.

Remind me to skip all of Tangren’s future productions. They should be embarrassed to even be in this industry. Virtually every other studio produces higher quality works … even the Yu Zheng Workshop.
    http://kibescorporation.blogspot.com/
    "The Universe is Zero-Sum ... Opposing Forces Maintaining an Intricate and Eternal Balance."
    张影焰 Shadowblaze

I'm in ep 34. I don't think is as bad as a lot of people make it.

I think people seem to judge the actors too harshly when they are following what's written in the script and directors guidance.

This isn't tangrens best but still enjoyable. I actually didn't like the four bc of the CGI was all over the place in first ep, n the fights we're hard to tell whats was going on. Like the dude spinning upside down kicking it look too fake.

I think most people are too bias against Michelle n jiang. Im actually one of those open minded and what the series for story, character development etc.

I even watched swordsman 2013 n romance of condor heroes 2014. Even Richie Ren 1999 condor lovers. I watch em as different dramas using elements from source materials.

As for legend of qin I think u guys just gotta watch it not think too much about actors and let the story unfold. I actually binge this series after Nirvana on Fire(superb drama and acting by hu ge)

Like all tangren series they give me the 90s tvb wuxia feel. They still need a lot of work on polishing their CGI tho.

I would really like to see them do Demi God semi devil and heaven sword and dragon sabre. Or even Liu xiao feng or chor lau heung

Quote Originally Posted by Mido-Ban View Post
    This isn't tangrens best but still enjoyable. I actually didn't like the four bc of the CGI was all over the place in first ep, n the fights we're hard to tell whats was going on. Like the dude spinning upside down kicking it look too fake.
    That's how I feel too. Despite my complaints, the series is a lot more enjoyable to me than The Four. (I actually dropped The Four halfway because the detectives spend more time on their love interests than on their cases). Not only the CGI is more subdued, but the plot is more interesting, and the characters are more likeable. DMR and Tian Ming are annoying, Donghuang is one dimensional, and the constant flashbacks tend to drag a few episodes. But in general it's not bad at all, and personally I think it's one of the better wuxia dramas of recent years.

That's how I feel too. Despite my complaints, the series is a lot more enjoyable to me than The Four. (I actually dropped The Four halfway because the detectives spend more time on their love interests than on their cases). Not only the CGI is more subdued, but the plot is more interesting, and the characters are more likeable. DMR and Tian Ming are annoying, Donghuang is one dimensional, and the constant flashbacks tend to drag a few episodes. But in general it's not bad at all, and personally I think it's one of the better wuxia dramas of recent years.
    I am up to ep 37. I think it is getting better in terms of plot and the pacing is better with less flashback. It took a bit of time but it seems like we are finally getting a bit of character development and the bits and pieces are all tying up together. The sets are actually quite nice to look at and the fights are not that bad. The one on one fights can have too much CGI but the mass fight over the man-made lake was quite nice.

I think Tian Ming and Shaoyu are finally forced to grow up and Tian Ming take on some responsibilities without everything that has been happening around them. Both are nice kids. I was a bit surprised at Shaoyu but I guess the transformation from the innocent Shaoyu to the arrogant and confident Western Conqueror needs to happen somewhere and he is supposed to be a hero with a fatal personality flaw. And the jealousy that erupts is quite natural and realistic, a band of three must eventually become a band of two as they grow up, especially if there is a conflict of love interests involved.

I am quite intrigued by the entrance of Liu Bang's character and he is bound to cause some trouble to come. Right now, Xiang Liang's petty behaviour has gotten me baffled since he has been shown to be kind and wise in previous portrayals. And he he seems to be one of the external forces that force Tian Ming and Shaoyu's friendship to break apart. And it seems like "Fan Zeng" has also appeared. the Mohists are still pissing me off.

Now that the complicated relationship between the Yu Sha and the Yu Gui have been explained, I get the story better. Dong Huang Taiyi may be 1D, but I understand his frustrations. His clan was framed for something they didn't do and their power was forcibly scattered until he stepped up to track down his surviving clan members and regroup them into a self-sustainable power. His path to power wasn't easy and so I understand if his cruel and sadistic behaviour.

I think LOQ could have been a really good series if they had cut down on the comedy and the sidestories. Most of the series is beautiful to look act, and 80% of the plot is really refreshing and interesting as it ties myths, history, wuxia in one story. I am still not to happy about the mechanical mountain but the brotherly camaraderie between the characters (Ge Nie vs Gao Jian Li vs Wei Zhuang vs Fusu vs Tian Ming vs Shao Yu).
    Cyril Connolly

On Shaoyu vs Tian Ming's POV's:

Tian Ming was brought up as a relatively happy kid with little expectations. He feels for his birth father, Jing Ke, but still his knowledge about him comes from legends and what other people have told him. There is no personal relationship that ties them together and he does not feel that strongly about avenging his father's death over supporting Fusu. And not to mention that he has a pretty strong bond to his elder brother Fusu who had tried his best to protect him even though he was only a kid, and this attachment has neutralised a lot of this hatred for Qin Shi Huang.

Shaoyu was brought up with the knowledge that he had to take revenge for the kingdom of Chu. Revenge and pride was drilled into him during his upbringing. It also comes from the cultural pride of the Chu people where they would rather leap off the city walls than be enslaved when it was breached. I am still surprised that Shaoyu turned up a pretty decent kid with Xiang Liang hanging around him and all that hidden rage and feelings of underappreciation. He was probably expected to man up to be this great leader and he was never given an option of backing out from this path that was planned for him.
    Cyril Connolly

Oh hey! Its Fei Liu!
    Cyril Connolly

I think Tian Ming and Shaoyu are finally forced to grow up and Tian Ming take on some responsibilities without everything that has been happening around them. Both are nice kids. I was a bit surprised at Shaoyu but I guess the transformation from the innocent Shaoyu to the arrogant and confident Western Conqueror needs to happen somewhere and he is supposed to be a hero with a fatal personality flaw. And the jealousy that erupts is quite natural and realistic, a band of three must eventually become a band of two as they grow up, especially if there is a conflict of love interests involved.
    I'm up to the latest cut episodes! Can't wait until Viki finishes subbing, so I watch the raw episodes, and then rewatch them fully subbed. I really like the dynamics between the three of them, and I see strong performance all around, which IMO excels Lu Yi's. For some reason, I feel like there's always distance between Lu Yi and the audience. Maybe because his acting tends to be quite reserved. But I've only seen him here and in the Three Kingdoms (in which he gave very nuanced performance), both are set in ancient times, and perhaps that's the mannerism that he chose for his characters.

Both Tianming and Shao Yu transformations are pretty well done, though I'd argue that it looks smoother on Tianming. I see the factors pushing for it, particularly Yue Er. It's nice to see a more mature Tianming, although you can tell that there is sadness in it as well. I can commend JJF. He may be more suitable for this part, because I still remember the very annoying Tianming.

I understand that Shao Yu already has that arrogance in him, and when he becomes a grown up man, it becomes more apparent as he already develops this strong self-confidence over time. But on the other hand, he also becomes more aloof, even when he's already involved with Chilian.

It's interesting how the writer/PD portrays Shao Yu-Chilian relationship. This is only my view based on the raw episodes, so I could be very wrong. It looks like Chilian flirts with (seduces?) Shao Yu because she wants to make Wei Zhuang jealous. It looks like he is, or at least feels uncomfortable seeing the PDA. But then Shao Yu and Chilian sleeps together (or looks like it -- I'm glad the drama is still pretty prudish LOL) after they get drunk. It doesn't stop a one night stand, but the affair continues. Both are lonely people, and at the same time very passionate. The scene in the latest episode when she pours wine to her new sword all the way down to his wine goblet? I find it pretty erotic, LOL. Shao Yu also becomes the dominant party in the relationship.

I still can't care less about DMR. There seems to be a good progress in her relationship with Ge Nie, and I like the cute scenes in the night of his birthday.
    Particularly when they play the zither together. It's obvious they're suggesting a parody of the oh so exhaustive scene of a couple playing zither together with the man embracing the woman. Like the humor and the self-mocking.
    . But the writers decided to play up the angst, and I really hate that. I also find it rather silly since the trailer and the ending theme have shown that those two will eventually get married. They should've made a better writing for DMR. She becomes this girl with emotional rollercoaster, bordering bipolarity (my biggest apology if I'm offending anyone with actual bipolarity), and just fails to generate sympathy, however little. I dunno -- is she supposed to be insecure?

I'm on the fence about the focus on romance in the last few episodes. They're still generally tastefully done IMO, but I want to see more interaction between Ge Nie and Wei Zhuang. Dang, I MISS Wei Zhuang. I want more actions and fighting scenes!

I'm up to the latest cut episodes! Can't wait until Viki finishes subbing, so I watch the raw episodes, and then rewatch them fully subbed. I really like the dynamics between the three of them, and I see strong performance all around, which IMO excels Lu Yi's. For some reason, I feel like there's always distance between Lu Yi and the audience. Maybe because his acting tends to be quite reserved. But I've only seen him here and in the Three Kingdoms (in which he gave very nuanced performance), both are set in ancient times, and perhaps that's the mannerism that he chose for his characters.

Both Tianming and Shao Yu transformations are pretty well done, though I'd argue that it looks smoother on Tianming. I see the factors pushing for it, particularly Yue Er. It's nice to see a more mature Tianming, although you can tell that there is sadness in it as well. I can commend JJF. He may be more suitable for this part, because I still remember the very annoying Tianming.

I understand that Shao Yu already has that arrogance in him, and when he becomes a grown up man, it becomes more apparent as he already develops this strong self-confidence over time. But on the other hand, he also becomes more aloof, even when he's already involved with Chilian.

It's interesting how the writer/PD portrays Shao Yu-Chilian relationship. This is only my view based on the raw episodes, so I could be very wrong. It looks like Chilian flirts with (seduces?) Shao Yu because she wants to make Wei Zhuang jealous. It looks like he is, or at least feels uncomfortable seeing the PDA. But then Shao Yu and Chilian sleeps together (or looks like it -- I'm glad the drama is still pretty prudish LOL) after they get drunk. It doesn't stop a one night stand, but the affair continues. Both are lonely people, and at the same time very passionate. The scene in the latest episode when she pours wine to her new sword all the way down to his wine goblet? I find it pretty erotic, LOL. Shao Yu also becomes the dominant party in the relationship.
    I am actually watching ep 46 now and
    Shaoyu and Chilian just slept together
    and I sort of agree with what you said.
    I don't think that Shaoyu and Chilian love each other yet but are more sexual partners that find solace in each other. Shaoyu just lost everyone close to him (Gao Yue loves Tian Ming, Xiang Liang just died and he just shooed Tian Ming away). Similarly, Chilian just lost her "little brother" and Wei Zhuang doesn't love her back as she wants him to. They have a lot of love to give but no one to give it to.

I just saw a documentary that people act more unrestricted sexually when under heavy emotions or adrenaline so I guess Shaoyu and Chilian are just responding to their physical urges. As for Chilian trying to make Wei Zhuang jealous, I think she is doing it for her own dignity. She is trying is prove to Wei Zhuang that if he doesn't want her, then she has no trouble finding another man. I think Shaoyu had developed a soft spot for Chilian in seeing her being rejected by Wei Zhuang as it reminds him of how much he loved Gao Yue and yet got rejected by her.

Eventually, the two will fall madly in love with each other. Shaoyu can be very ruthless and pushy and Chilian can accommodate that. I think all people want to be loved by someone, even if they don't start out to be the one they desire. I think they will bring each other comfort and happiness, but their personalities are not exactly positively constructive. Sometimes you need one to hold the other back from doing crazy stuff but both Shaoyu and Chilian seem to be rash and aggressive people so maybe their union is one of the reasons why Xiang Yu fails.
    Cyril Connolly

I still can't care less about DMR. There seems to be a good progress in her relationship with Ge Nie, and I like the cute scenes in the night of his birthday.
    Particularly when they play the zither together. It's obvious they're suggesting a parody of the oh so exhaustive scene of a couple playing zither together with the man embracing the woman. Like the humor and the self-mocking.
    . But the writers decided to play up the angst, and I really hate that. I also find it rather silly since the trailer and the ending theme have shown that those two will eventually get married. They should've made a better writing for DMR. She becomes this girl with emotional rollercoaster, bordering bipolarity (my biggest apology if I'm offending anyone with actual bipolarity), and just fails to generate sympathy, however little. I dunno -- is she supposed to be insecure?

I'm on the fence about the focus on romance in the last few episodes. They're still generally tastefully done IMO, but I want to see more interaction between Ge Nie and Wei Zhuang. Dang, I MISS Wei Zhuang. I want more actions and fighting scenes!
    I am really not impressed with DMR's presence and I think she slows down the story. And Ge Nie has become boring without Wei Zhuang. The love story between Ge Nie and DMR is very boring and the tension is unnecessary. Every other people want to be together and yet cannot, but these two can be together and yet they squabble over matters and lack maturity in how they communicate. They really do not have a strong foundation in their love for each other if they break up over such minor matters when death stares them in the eye everyday.

I am quite happy with the pace set in the last 10 eps. If only they could have made the first half of the series less draggy and childish.
    Cyril Connolly

I am really not impressed with DMR's presence and I think she slows down the story. And Ge Nie has become boring without Wei Zhuang. The love story between Ge Nie and DMR is very boring and the tension is unnecessary. Every other people want to be together and yet cannot, but these two can be together and yet they squabble over matters and lack maturity in how they communicate. They really do not have a strong foundation in their love for each other if they break up over such minor matters when death stares them in the eye everyday.

I am quite happy with the pace set in the last 10 eps. If only they could have made the first half of the series less draggy and childish.
    I'm not sure why the writers (and the director) made the senior characters (Ge Nie and DMR) childish when it comes to their relationship, with both parties being indecisive and just pull and release, repeat. It was quite frustrating watching them. I guess DMR was pretty insecure? And maybe she was tired, having lived in chaotic situation and carried responsibilities of having to care for Gao Yue and from her own reputation as the divine physician since she was very young. She was desperately looking forward to settling down. Whereas Ge Nie, I suspect, was living quite sheltered in secure environment until his sect was crushed. And afterward he again lived in stable environment behind the palace walls. He also feels responsible to help Tianming strong enough to live by himself. A lot of adjustments and managing expectations for both of them.

I hope the marriage will at least make them more at ease, and they can put their energy elsewhere to more important issues.

Agree about the pace, but I need more Wei Zhuang. I want to see how he handles the current dynamics between him, Chilian and Shao Yu, and how he attempts to make sure Shao Yu will still be advantageous for his end goal.