Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Legend of Qin 《秦时明月》 - Lu Yi, Jiang Jin Fu, Michelle Chen, Sun Yi Zhou

Quote Originally Posted by charbydis View Post
    I am actually watching ep 46 now and
    click to show/hide spoilers
    Shaoyu and Chilian just slept together
    and I sort of agree with what you said.
    I don't think that Shaoyu and Chilian love each other yet but are more sexual partners that find solace in each other. Shaoyu just lost everyone close to him (Gao Yue loves Tian Ming, Xiang Liang just died and he just shooed Tian Ming away). Similarly, Chilian just lost her "little brother" and Wei Zhuang doesn't love her back as she wants him to. They have a lot of love to give but no one to give it to.

I just saw a documentary that people act more unrestricted sexually when under heavy emotions or adrenaline so I guess Shaoyu and Chilian are just responding to their physical urges. As for Chilian trying to make Wei Zhuang jealous, I think she is doing it for her own dignity. She is trying is prove to Wei Zhuang that if he doesn't want her, then she has no trouble finding another man. I think Shaoyu had developed a soft spot for Chilian in seeing her being rejected by Wei Zhuang as it reminds him of how much he loved Gao Yue and yet got rejected by her.

Eventually, the two will fall madly in love with each other. Shaoyu can be very ruthless and pushy and Chilian can accommodate that. I think all people want to be loved by someone, even if they don't start out to be the one they desire. I think they will bring each other comfort and happiness, but their personalities are not exactly positively constructive. Sometimes you need one to hold the other back from doing crazy stuff but both Shaoyu and Chilian seem to be rash and aggressive people so maybe their union is one of the reasons why Xiang Yu fails.
    I agree with you regarding Shao Yu and Chilian, although I'm lost on Chilian's hairstyle change, and the fact the Shao Yu calls her "Furen" before the swordsmith. I suspect they have not really got married officially, but she considers herself already his wife. I think she just doesn't care about ceremony and stuff. Or maybe I'm just wrong and the show simply doesn't display the wedding. I'd prefer my theory, though, because it makes their relationship more interesting, edgy and not cookie cutter.

Quote Originally Posted by lenje View Post
    I agree with you regarding Shao Yu and Chilian, although I'm lost on Chilian's hairstyle change, and the fact the Shao Yu calls her "Furen" before the swordsmith. I suspect they have not really got married officially, but she considers herself already his wife. I think she just doesn't care about ceremony and stuff. Or maybe I'm just wrong and the show simply doesn't display the wedding. I'd prefer my theory, though, because it makes their relationship more interesting, edgy and not cookie cutter.
    Actually, in history, there are doubts to whether Xiang Yu and Lady Yu were officially married as well but there was no doubt that they were a couple. I guess that to Shaoyu, he finds that he has nothing left except Chilian and she is what he has left of a family. So to him, Chilian is his wife. And as to the hairstyle change, I think that it is just a new part of life with Chilian. She has put the old life of an assassin and Wei Zhuang behind her and adopted her new life as Shaoyu's wife, Lady Yu, and thus the new hairstyle. She is not just a disposable soldier/mercenary that is with the army, and rather of a higher status and thus the tall hairstyle.

I have just finished watching the scene with the sword and the wine that you had described in a previous post. It really looks that the two have fallen for each other as opposed to the sexual relationship earlier on, but. I also don't think that they two are officially married since they are in the middle of many battle and also in the competition to get to the capital first, so they don;t really have the resources (they are low on food) or time to have a wedding. But I guess that with Shaoyu introducing her as his wife, he is promising to eventually marry her.

And I just realised that Wei Zhuang and Fan Zheng are two different people despite Wei Zhuang have the look of what Fan Zheng is portrayed in many adaptions (white hair and bad legs).
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

Charby, so Shao Yu is really meant to be Xiang Yu? I wonder why the producer changed his name (maybe in anticipation of SARFT), but not Xiang Liang.

I'm not sure why the writers (and the director) made the senior characters (Ge Nie and DMR) childish when it comes to their relationship, with both parties being indecisive and just pull and release, repeat. It was quite frustrating watching them. I guess DMR was pretty insecure? And maybe she was tired, having lived in chaotic situation and carried responsibilities of having to care for Gao Yue and from her own reputation as the divine physician since she was very young. She was desperately looking forward to settling down. Whereas Ge Nie, I suspect, was living quite sheltered in secure environment until his sect was crushed. And afterward he again lived in stable environment behind the palace walls. He also feels responsible to help Tianming strong enough to live by himself. A lot of adjustments and managing expectations for both of them.

I hope the marriage will at least make them more at ease, and they can put their energy elsewhere to more important issues.
    I guess DMR wants Ge Nie to be safe as people are dying around all around them but there are responsibilities that neither of them can escape from, especially when she is supposed to be a Mohist. But Ge Nie is a quiet and reserved guy who is not used to expressing his feelings after Jing Ke died. He too wants to live a life of recluse but how can he when the whole country is suffering under the tyrannic rule of Qin? He feels a duty to continue what his friends have sacrificed their lives for. He is already in too deep to pull out but he doesn't want DMR to be stuck like he is.

But they have horrible communications skills. If they only just sat down and talked like mature adults then all problems can be overlooked since at the heart of everything, they want to be with each other and nothing else really matters. I too am married that their marriage is now out of the way and that we can see more of other more interesting characters, like Wei Zhuang (who is arguably the best written character in this whole series).

It would be a good ending if Ge Nie, Wei Zhuang and DMR all went into recluse together.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

Charby, so Shao Yu is really meant to be Xiang Yu? I wonder why the producer changed his name (maybe in anticipation of SARFT), but not Xiang Liang.
    His name is Xiang Yu. Chinese people often have an official name and then a personal name. I guess Shaoyu was a more personal pet name, "Little Feather", used by close family members or friends. But as an official name, you tend to have only the important characters. He was only 16 when he first appeared in the series so I guess he was still going by his pet name. But as Shaoyu matured and took on more responsibilities, he dropped the "Shao" and used his official name, Xiang Yu. And having an invincible general called "Little Feather" is weird.
    Cyril Connolly

As far as SARFT goes, the plot has not really said anything that is too political, religious or not in tune with chinese history as everyone will still have their planned ending. The names: "Dong Huang Tai Yi", "Da Si Ming", "Shao Si Ming", etc.. are actually the names of deities in the ancient Taoist religion but seems like SARFT have let them slide since they haven't brought in religious worship. "The Legend of Qin" does have a pretty good plot that has managed to comply with SARFT regulations yet give us a good mix of magic, history, wuxia and romance. It is just a shame that it started out so draggy.
    Cyril Connolly

I just watched ep 50! Can't believe that so many characters
    just died in a matter on 5 minutes!
    Very interesting!
    Cyril Connolly

I just watched ep 50! Can't believe that so many characters
    just died in a matter on 5 minutes!
    Very interesting!
    Wait! Whuttt?

Wait! Whuttt?
    Have you gotten up to the part where there are lots of people standing in the lake?
    Cyril Connolly

Have you gotten up to the part where there are lots of people standing in the lake?
    I've seen up to the latest episode, but I don't recall the gathering in the lake. Will rewatch.

So far, I think Shao Yu-Chilian relationship is the most interesting. Too bad it was not started earlier, as it seemed a bit rushed from merely hooking up to being real and deep. Was it Chilian's idea that Shao Yu takes the lead in the revolt?

I can't believe it's the finale week!

They'd better give more screen time for Wei Zhuang. I agree with you, he's the best written character in the drama. Here's a disciple from a hypocrite "good" sect, whose dedication to his clan is even stronger than Ge Nie's, even though he was used time and again as a killing machine, a mere tool. He has so much bitterness, anger, grief, yet his sense of justice and goodness pretty much stays there. I love Sun Yizhou's layered portrayal. Too bad his screen time is quite limited in the later half of the series. I hope we will see more of him in these last episodes.

I am watching ep 51 at the moment. I am glad that they have dedicated more time to Wei Zhuang. His values and POV has changed due to all the hardships that he has gone through, he still is a good man at heart with mercy and repentance. What ever power or recognition that he craves, it has not managed to pollute the true him, as compared to Xiang Yu who has let victory and fame cloud his conscience and his view of the bigger picture. I love Wei Zhuang!

And regarding Chilian, it looks like she has done a bad job of moving on. She is very happy and in love with Shao Yu, but seems like she still harbours a lot of bitterness towards Wei Zhuang and has not really let go and moved on.

And for all his magical powers, Zhao Gao sucks!

I think we are up to the last few chapters. Cant wait for the Hong Men Banquet tomorrow. Yips!
    Last edited by charbydis; 02-01-16 at 06:55 AM.
    Cyril Connolly

I've watched the last episodes up to the finale. I'm planning to write a longer review once all episodes are English subbed, so I'll get a better understanding. But it's safe to say that I'm loving the finale, I think it's well written. Rather cliche, but I think it's a good closure for the string of tragedies in the last several episodes, as well as the whole series. Or maybe I'm just tired of sad/tragic/poignant ending .

I've watched the last episodes up to the finale. I'm planning to write a longer review once all episodes are English subbed, so I'll get a better understanding. But it's safe to say that I'm loving the finale, I think it's well written. Rather cliche, but I think it's a good closure for the string of tragedies in the last several episodes, as well as the whole series. Or maybe I'm just tired of sad/tragic/poignant ending .
    I look forward to your full review. Once I get a break I will most definitely finish it. I'm almost half way in. My fav character is Wei Zhuang and Chilian. They're both cool. And cool looking. I find the actress portraying Chilian to be quite good. For being fairly new and all. Glad she's gonna be around a lot, with Nine Tails Fox and Chinese Paladin 5 coming up.

Also, do you give ratings? I'm interested on a scale of what would you give this series overall.

Quote Originally Posted by wuxiarocks View Post
    I look forward to your full review. Once I get a break I will most definitely finish it. I'm almost half way in. My fav character is Wei Zhuang and Chilian. They're both cool. And cool looking. I find the actress portraying Chilian to be quite good. For being fairly new and all. Glad she's gonna be around a lot, with Nine Tails Fox and Chinese Paladin 5 coming up.

Also, do you give ratings? I'm interested on a scale of what would you give this series overall.
    I don't normally give ratings, but I'll try . For this overall I would give 3.5 stars out of 5, but it may change when I get the full grasp of the story -- which is when the English sub is completed for the whole series. (Just for comparison, I'll give 4/5 to The Great Protector/Biao Men, an excellent drama throughout). It started strong, but got draggy in the middle. Fortunately it picked up the pace again in the last 10 episodes. It could've been better if DMR characterization is better written (or perhaps better portrayed?), and the romance arcs toned down a little bit.

I don't normally give ratings, but I'll try . For this overall I would give 3.5 stars out of 5, but it may change when I get the full grasp of the story -- which is when the English sub is completed for the whole series. (Just for comparison, I'll give 4/5 to The Great Protector/Biao Men, an excellent drama throughout). It started strong, but got draggy in the middle. Fortunately it picked up the pace again in the last 10 episodes. It could've been better if DMR characterization is better written (or perhaps better portrayed?), and the romance arcs toned down a little bit.
    It's as we fear, when romance arcs drags out longer than needed. It can certainly ruin the pacing.

Still, sounds like a decent series overall. Thanks for the ratings and short review!

I am nearing the last episode now. The pacing is really fast now without going too much detail into historical events yet enough info to keep the story going. Afterall, this story is not trying to be a historically-accurate series, it is an idol drama which is entertaining. My fav characters are: Wei Zhuang, Fu Su, Zi Ying, Da Si Ming, Shao Si Ming, Chilian, Bai Feng & Ju Xuan.

The series has done a good job in exploring brotherhood and friendship arcs, as well as choices. However there are some very draggy moments that can be irritating but not enough to ruin the show. There are interesting characters that disappeared halfway into the show that could have done more, and a lot of boring characters that take up too much screen time. Some development in the plot I do feel has been left late in the series and gives me a rushed feeling. However there are moments which are thought-provoking and leads people to reconsider what they really want in life, and whether what their final goal is worth the sacrifice. And there is the ongoing theme of whether to self-preserve or sacrifice for the greater good.

The Legend of Qin would have done well as a 45 ep series rather than a 54 ep series, but oh well, it is what it is. The tragedies that has been set in history cannot change in the series, but least some people do end up happy. And the pair that I liked the most ended up together which was important.
    Cyril Connolly

My fav characters are: Wei Zhuang, Fu Su, Zi Ying, Da Si Ming, Shao Si Ming, Chilian, Bai Feng & Ju Xuan.

The series has done a good job in exploring brotherhood and friendship arcs, as well as choices. However there are some very draggy moments that can be irritating but not enough to ruin the show. There are interesting characters that disappeared halfway into the show that could have done more, and a lot of boring characters that take up too much screen time. Some development in the plot I do feel has been left late in the series and gives me a rushed feeling. However there are moments which are thought-provoking and leads people to reconsider what they really want in life, and whether what their final goal is worth the sacrifice. And there is the ongoing theme of whether to self-preserve or sacrifice for the greater good.

The Legend of Qin would have done well as a 45 ep series rather than a 54 ep series, but oh well, it is what it is. The tragedies that has been set in history cannot change in the series, but least some people do end up happy. And the pair that I liked the most ended up together which was important.
    Yeap, pretty much what you wrote here. We share a couple of faved characters (Wei Zhuang, Da Siming, Chilian), I'll add Liu Bang to the mix, although he's been only in a few episodes. I like the portrayal of his friendship with Ge Nie.

Anyway, I don't know about others, but I'm very impressed with Wu Lei's performance
    in the episode showing Ziying pretended to be in mental shock and killed Zhao Gao later on
    . His total screentime in Legend of Qin is very brief but impresses me much more than his portrayal of Fei Liu (mostly because I think Fei Liu acts a little cutesy with his perpetual pouting ). I also don't really like Qin Junjie's interpretation of Xiang Yu's rage/fury, as I feel he overacts it. But he's best showing XY's sadness and emptiness.

Yeap, pretty much what you wrote here. We share a couple of faved characters (Wei Zhuang, Da Siming, Chilian), I'll add Liu Bang to the mix, although he's been only in a few episodes. I like the portrayal of his friendship with Ge Nie.
    Waaaa? You don't like Shao Si Ming?
    Cyril Connolly

Waaaa? You don't like Shao Si Ming?
    I do. In fact, I like almost all of the characters. Shao Siming's cool, but her presence isn't that strong for me, as opposed to Chilian, or even Xuenv.