Thread: Gordon Chan to Remake “Legend of the Condor Heroes”

Default Gordon Chan to Remake “Legend of the Condor Heroes”

This is older but I didn't read it till now.

http://www.jaynestars.com/movies/gor...condor-heroes/

Gordon Chan to Remake “Legend of the Condor Heroes”
    By Addy on August 26, 2014

After the success of 2008 fantasy film Painted Skin <畫皮>, Hong Kong director Gordon Chan (陳嘉上) has been filming more big-budget projects. Though his films Mural <畫壁>, The Four <四大名捕>, and The Four 2 were not well-received critically, they were box office successes in mainland China.

The Chinese media reported that after Gordon Chan completes the post-production of The Four 3, which will be the final chapter of the film series, he will enter pre-production for his new film Legend of the Condor Heroes <射雕英雄傳>, an adaptation of the classic Jin Yong(金庸) novel of the same name.

The famous Jin Yong novel, well-known among the Chinese masses, has been adapted to numerous films and television dramas. The most famous adaptation was the 1983 Hong Kong TVB television drama, which starred Felix Wong (黃日華), Barbara Yung (翁美玲), and Michael Miu (苗僑偉). Other well-received adaptations include 2003 mainland Chinese adaptation starring Li Yapeng (李亞鵬) and Zhou Xun (周迅).

Sources say that Gordon Chan immediately took on the project when he heard that Enlight Pictures held the movie copyrights for the novel. There were reports saying that Enlight Pictures had already has plans to make it a trilogy. Deng Chao (鄧超), Betty Sun (孫儷), Crystal Liu (劉亦菲), Ada Liu (柳岩), Lola Xie (謝楠), and Wu Jing (吳京) are reportedly in talks to star, but Enlight Pictures later stated that nothing has been confirmed yet. However, Enlight Pictures did confirm that Gordon Chan has taken on the project and the film is currently in scriptwriting stages.

In an earlier interview, Gordon Chan lamented at the fact that there has not been a good film adaptation of Legend of the Condor Heroes thus far. “The television dramas were better, but TV and film are not the same. There hasn’t been a good movie adaptation. Hollywood has Harry Potter, but what do we have? Our Legend of the Condor Heroes is more awesome than Harry Potter.”

Chan’s last film series, The Four, incorporated magic and wuxia into one genre. Asked if he will use a similar approach for Legend of the Condor Heroes, he said he will present what should be presented. The direction of the film is still in the beginning stages and the cast has not been decided yet.

In addition, Chan said he is also preparing another film, which will be a “Beijing romance story”. As a Hong Kong director who is working in mainland, he hopes to make a movie that is suitable for local viewers. He admitted that he admires his friends Peter Chan (陳可辛) and Tsui Hark (徐克) in that aspect.

Source: 21CN.com

This article is written by Addy for JayneStars.com.
    JayneStars Media LLC reserves all copyrights. Reproduction in whole or in part without written permission is prohibited. By using the JayneStars website, you accept and agree to our Terms and Conditions of Use.
    ================================================

I don't know if I should be happy or not. I mean it might be a trilogy so I think there's enough time to cover the story decently. But his last Trilogy was The Four. Which wasn't very good. Even though it still took in a lot of money.

The names that's listed are mainly people he worked with before. Diao Chen would likely be cast as GJ, but I can't see LYF or Betty Sun taking on HR. It's not set in concrete yet so he can still change the actress. But who?

To make it easier on everyone to visualize the potential new cast...I tried to keep within the theme here since two of the below were hard to find pictures that did not so well emphasis the theme at hand.

Deng Chao (鄧超),
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://image.s1979.com/allimg/140623/458_140623144721_1.jpg')

Betty Sun (孫儷),
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://y0.ifengimg.com/a/2014_47/c1925f2a5505a31.jpg')

Crystal Liu (劉亦菲),
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://imgphoto.gmw.cn/attachement/jpg/site2/20140910/0023ae634f201579fadc43.jpg')

Ada Liu (柳岩),
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img5.cache.netease.com/photo/0003/2013-11-22/9E8ES9B000AJ0003.jpg')

Lola Xie (謝楠),
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://gb.cri.cn/mmsource/images/2011/08/04/79/17411560502318295127.jpg')

and Wu Jing (吳京)
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i0.szhomeimg.com/uploadfiles/images/2008/02/04/04012006865.jpg')
    Last edited by Linda; 01-25-15 at 07:07 AM.
    Currently in love with Bae Suzy...for superficial reasons.

any news on this? i heard the began filming last month and that 15-16 year old students have been cast for the four main rolls.
    it would be cool to have the 5 tvb tigers as 5 greats but that's probably not going to happen.

If it turns out anything like "The Four" then I don't want to watch it. The original story was butchered and one of the four was written a girl and story was all messy and dragged out. The plot was all over the place when An Shi Geng just died all of a sudden after turning into a tree.

The story and background is very thick and developed. I am not sure that three films will be enough to tell the story. Star-studded it may be but it could be as thin as paper and all the stars will just be doing cameos. Will keep an eye out for the trailer but I really have my reservations about film adaptions.

Maybe if Tsui Hark wanted to do it it may turn out OK.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

Quote Originally Posted by charbydis View Post
    Maybe if Tsui Hark wanted to do it it may turn out OK.
    Watch his 笑傲江湖 adaptations and make that statement again.

OT:
    He's also making ROCH adaptations now; he wanted to cast yang mi as xiaolongnü. fortunately she was busy with other projects. but now he's quite possibly going to cast zly... :/
    For Tsui Hark's productions, it is often too much to ask that he'll cast people with actual acting skills. he'll prefer some wechat model over someone who can act.

Quote Originally Posted by shǎ gēge View Post
    Watch his 笑傲江湖 adaptations and make that statement again.

OT:
    He's also making ROCH adaptations now; he wanted to cast yang mi as xiaolongnü. fortunately she was busy with other projects. but now he's quite possibly going to cast zly... :/
    For Tsui Hark's productions, it is often too much to ask that he'll cast people with actual acting skills. he'll prefer some wechat model over someone who can act.
    ROCH again? Don't we have enough of it? Why can't they adapt something original? Where are other novels??