Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tomb of God by Chen Dong

Wow 2 chapters! Thanks zoeng.

Thanks. It's getting more interesting.

Post V2C1

Volume 2: Dragon Soaring[1] in the Imperial Capital 第二卷 龍騰帝都

Chapter 1: First Arrival at the Imperial Capital 第一章 初臨帝都

Tantai Xuan, the beautiful, wise, and mysterious girl, had already ascended to immortality and left behind an everlasting legend in Tantai City. Chen Nan stood unmoving in the public square, frustrated and at a loss.

“Why… why do you have to treat me this way?” Immortals and mortals were naturally separated. He gazed at the sky and sighed. Chen Nan followed behind Chu Yue and the princess. Muddleheaded, he entered the lord of Tantai City’s residence.

Seeing Chen Nan looking like he had lost his soul, the princess resentfully called out, “Degenerate, aren’t you a man? I’ve already said that once we return to the imperial capital, I’ll look for someone to help you recover your power. Why do you still have such a lifeless look? Hmph! Smelly thief, you’re a miser!”

“Yu’er, don’t be rude towards Chen-gongzi.” Chu Yue worriedly said, “Chen-gongzi, has the journey been too tiring? If so, we can stop and rest here for two days.”

Chen Nan blankly shook his head. “It will be better for us to be on our way as soon as possible.”

“That’s fine. The earlier we return to the imperial capital, the earlier Chen-gongzi can recover his power.”

Chen Nan, perplexed, departed from the ancient, millennium year old city of Tantai. The next two days, Chen Nan appeared to have lost his soul, lifeless. His two eyes were vacant, without a trace of vitality.

Three days later, a sudden clap of thunder roared into his ears. Like he was baptized with the purest cream and thereby became enlightened with flawless wisdom, he turned his sights towards the sky. Black clouds rolled across the sky like waves of ink. On the count of ten, various golden snakes scattered from the clouds. The rumbling thunder was like the evening drum and morning bell, reverberating through his heart.

In a split second, Chen Nan came to a little understanding: the time remaining flies away. As time goes by, the fading forever fades away, unable to turn back. Existence continues to exist as before. Only existence was real. People cannot always live in the past; they can only seize the present. Only then can they be without regrets…

Suddenly, the vital qi that had long since dried up in his body acted like a withered tree coming upon spring, regaining its vitality. Like silkworms, his weak vital qi began to swim around his body. Slowly, the miniscule amount of vital qi remaining gradually expanded. It grew and circulated around his body endlessly as streams, flowing like a faint, cool breeze.

The power that the princess had siphoned away returned to its former state in an instant. Additionally, after an internal inspection, the vital qi in his body was currently purer than it was previously. That peculiar vital qi with the murky yellow colouring was no longer present. It was thoroughly purged from his body. After some time, Chen Nan’s emotional state of mind slowly calmed. Not only was his power restored to its previous state, a ray of light penetrated through the sweeping haze in his mind.

It was heavily raining. A curtain of water lay in between heaven and earth. Chu Yue and company were temporarily stranded within a small town. The five hundred cavalrymen filled all the inns and taverns of the town.

The princess was as happy as a little angel, hopping and skipping around. She was not one whit like that little demon who had been previously scheming in the shadows.

“Hehe, this is great! It’s raining, so refreshing.”

She half cheered and half greeted Chu Yue, “Jiejie, don’t hide inside. Quick, come out. Look how refreshing it is out here.”

Chu Yue entered the rain, but the dense raindrops didn’t land on her body. The raindrops stopped three cun from her body, sliding off to the side. Her formless vital qi shielded her from the rain.

Inwardly bewildered, Chen Nan’s heart shook. Previously, he had sensed that Chu Yue was a Daoist, but now, she was displaying the profound vital qi of a martial artist.

“Could she be practicing martial arts to help cultivate Dao?”

Under the rain, Chu Yue caught the princess’s arm and pulled her towards the house. “Look at your appearance right now. Do you still have even an ounce of the royal air of a princess? You look like an uncontrollable little feral child. If father and mother were to find out, they’d scold you to death…”

“Heihei…” Chen Nan laughed at her predicament from behind the window.

By lucky coincidence, the princess just happened to turn around to see his smiling expression. She angrily said, “Smelly thief, degenerate, you have the impertinence to laugh at me, let’s see how I’ll deal with you…”

The unwilling, crafty princess was pulled into the house by Chu Yue.

After midnight, the rain clouds dispersed. The ten thousand flutes were still; it was completely silent. Like water, the starlight of the night sky was resplendent.

Chen Nan calmly stood at the window, bathing himself in the tranquility of the night.

“There isn’t necessarily a rainbow after wind and rain, but there is definitely the hope of light. Tantai Xuan… you actually stepped into the realm of immortals. Heaven doesn’t treat me too coldly; inevitably, there will be a day I’ll break through the barrier guarding the immortal realm. Wait for me…”

After the conflagration of war spread throughout eastern Tianyuan Continent (originally the area of Xianhuan Continent), outstanding heroes came into existence simultaneously. All kinds of states established their own independent regimes, but the three great powers took up three quarters of the entire eastern territory. The three states were separated like so: the Empire of Chu in the west, the Empire of Baiyue in the north, and the Empire of Anping in the southeast. The three superpowers did not at all have borders with one another; countless small independent states separated them. But the overwhelming majority of the small states served as vassal states to the three superpowers. The Empire of Chu, the Empire of Baiyue, and the Empire of Anping formed a balance of power. The strength of each state was roughly equivalent with one another. For the past while, the three nations have lived together in harmony. A great war had not yet broken out between the empires.

Because the Empire of Chu was situated in the west, bordering western Tianyuan, its capital city served as a major link between the east and the west. The capital of Chu was a major hub. Both eastern and western merchants conducted business here. Visitors flowed in and out like unrelenting streams. The booming trade and commerce made Pingyang City incomparably prosperous. It had a population no less than a million. Every day, there was an endless river of horses and carriages. A steady flow of goods and supplies were transported to and from all over the nation along the Grand Canal.

In ten days, Chu Yue, Chen Nan, and company arrived outside of the imperial city. They gazed at the city walls of Pingyang. They appeared to form a continuous, uninterrupted Great Wall. It was majestic and imposing—a spectacular sight.

Massive city gate towers were sprinkled along the wall magnificently. The closer they got to Pingyang City, the more stunned Chen Nan became. The capital city of the Empire of Chu was much more grand and majestic than all the cities he had seen ten thousand years ago. He wasn’t sure how many times more opulent it was.

The city walls of Pingyang were at least sixteen meters tall and twelve meters wide. The wall was made of greenish bricks, thick and firm. It was grandiose. A guard tower stood at the city gate. One story of the tower was filled with archers, another with gears. It towered in the sky, vigorously imposing, yet majestic. Outside the city walls, there was a forty meter wide, ten meter deep moat. In the moat, the bluish green water rippled. Boats were scattered on its surface.

The grandeur of the capital city of Chu left a profound impression on Chen Nan.

“Hey, earth to degenerate. You’ve never seen Pingyang City, but haven’t you read about it in books? Oh, I forgot. You’re a guy without any skills whatsoever; you’ve simply never read a book before. Ai, you smelly thief, you really are…” The princess purposely put on the appearance of hating iron for not becoming steel[2].
    Chen Nan had been subject to the princess’s ridicule throughout the entire journey. He considered it a mental victory to survive through it. He had constantly consoled himself, “Little girl, I won’t lower myself to your level anymore. Just wait for the day you fall back into my clutches…”

Chu Yue took a look at her mischievous younger sister and pulled on her small hand. “Yu’er…”

“Okay I got it, jieji~e!” The princess dragged out the last syllable. With a tiny voice, the princess murmured, “Always protecting him. Isn’t this guy capable of drawing back Houyi Bow? How did he still end up being caught by me… Hmph! Sooner or later, I’ll need to show him what’s up.”

Chu Yue gave her a disdainful look. She flicked the princess forehead. “You…”

Within Pingyang City, there was an endless stream of horses and carriages and an endless flow of pedestrians. Countless stores and shops lined both sides of the street. It was a prosperous sight to behold.

The Emperor of Chu had received the report long ago. Not only had his oldest daughter finished touring and inspecting the west, but the princess who had stealthily slipped away from home was also found and brought back. He immediately became exceptionally jubilant and dispatched men to welcome them outside of the city.

As the welcome party hurried to meet them outside the city, Chu Yue and company already entered, but the princess was nowhere to be seen. Chu Yue jumped back in fright thinking that her mischievous little sister had slipped away again. Just when she began feeling anxious, she noticed the princess emerge from the side of street not too far away.

She saw the princess hold three lamb kebabs in her left hand and two sticks of bingtanghulu[3] in her right. In her mouth, she was biting half way into a chicken silk-roll. Chasing after her were two proprietors of food stands.

“Young lady, you haven’t given me money for the lamb kebabs yet…”

“Young lady, you can’t steal my bingtanghulu…”

“Jiejie… pay…” The princess was busily chewing so her words were jumbled.

Chu Yue was both happy and amused. Indeed, it was impossible to grab a hold of her little sister. The officials sent from the Imperial City to welcome them also couldn’t help but laugh, but because they were afraid of the princess’s usual ‘demonic might’, they turned their heads to the side.

The two snack stand proprietors were dumbfounded at the emergence of such a large amount of royal guards in front of them. No longer able to demand payment, they whipped around and fled into the crowd. Chu Yue instructed a subordinate to take some money and follow them.

Five hundred cavalrymen and the welcome party sent from the Imperial City consisting of royal guards protected the two princesses as they leisurely walked towards the Imperial City. Chen Nan was treated as a guest by Chu Yue, who had him follow closely behind herself and the princess.

The Imperial City of the capital city of Chu was majestic, dignified, and grand. It was brimming with the air of royalty.

After entering the Imperial City, Chu Yue said to Chen Nan, “Chen-gongzi, in a short while, my father the emperor will probably want to receive you. Be patient and wait for us here. No matter what, you mustn’t run around and create mischief, understand?”

“Okay, subordinate understands.” Chen Nan wasn’t too familiar with the proper etiquette required for meeting with royalty or court officials. Until now, his manner of speaking towards Chu Yue was the same as if she were an ordinary person. Now that they were in the Imperial City, he was somewhat nervous.

Chu Yue smiled. “Don’t be nervous. Haven’t I already told you? My Empire of Chu treats people with outstanding ability as state officials. Even when meeting with the emperor, one doesn’t have to stand too much on ceremony. You can act just like how you were acting before. It’s not necessary for you to be reserved.”

Chen Nan let out a breath of air. If he were required to kowtow in greeting like how those court officials were required to, he would have been troubled to death.

Like a wisp of smoke, the princess had already disappeared into the imperial palace. Chu Yue flashed a smile, turned, and went in as well.

When Chu Yue arrived at the empress’s chamber, she found the princess lying in the empress’s bosom, chatting and giggling about something. The imperial emperor had a faint smile on his face as he sat across from them.

Chu Yue gave them a polite greeting and took a seat to the side. Of all the daughters of the Emperor of Chu, Chu Han, the one he was most fond of was Princess Chu Yu. The one he relied the most heavily on was the Eldest Princess Princess Chu Yue, as well as the Second Prince Chu Wenfeng. He was exceptionally delighted to see that his eldest daughter had not only successfully completed her assignment to patrol the west, but she had also located his youngest daughter and returned her home.

The princess’s mouth was like an uninterruptible torrent. She vividly and colourfully described all her thrilling encounters that she had met with on her journey. The Empress of Chu listened intently, nervous.

The Emperor of Chu waited for her to finish describing her adventure before saying with a deep voice, “I didn’t expect that Ren Jian to be so audacious. He actually dares to act maliciously at the borders of my Chu. If it weren’t for that fact that I’m unwilling to break the peace that has blessed the continent for so many years and sink our people into deep water and blazing fire, I’d definitely send a punitive expedition to Baiyue.”

Chu Yue said, “Father has considered it carefully. You mustn’t respond in a fit of rage and go to war. Besides, Ren Jian also isn’t being let off lightly; his subordinates were devastated and he himself was seriously injured and escaped in a sorry state.”

Chu Han nodded. “We’ll consider this an unsettled score with the Empire of Baiyue for now.” Then, he said, “Right, throughout the course of events, it seems like there’s someone named Chen Nan. How did he become involved? Yu’er, you only vaguely spoke of him and keep dismissing him. What’s the matter?”

Chu Yu changed the subject. “Father, you’re the best. For the sake of me, you wanted to send a punitive expedition to the Empire of Baiyue.”

Chu Han had a stiff face. “Hmph, this time, you ran away from the palace without a word. You don’t know how worried we were. Tell me, how should I punish you?”

“Ah? When I just got back, I already begged you not to punish me. Didn’t you promise? No way, father is the ruler of a nation. Rulers can’t go back on their words. You can’t back out of your promise.” With that, the princess wrapped her arms around the empress’s neck and delicately whined, “Mother…”

“Alright, you’re already how old now? How can you still whine? Your father is just joking with you, but you must guarantee that something like this will never happen again. Otherwise, forget about your father’s promise, I simply won’t excuse you.”

“Hehe, I know mother is the best.” The princess planted a small kiss on the empress’s cheek.

“You child…”

The princess turned around to face Chu Han and said, “Father, look. This is the Blazing Inferno Immortal Lotus that I braved countless dangers to pluck just for you.” She opened the jade case containing the Blazing Inferno Immortal Lotus. Immediately, its sweet scent assailed their nostrils.

The Emperor of Chu originally never planned to punish her. After seeing that she returned safe and sound, he was happy enough. Just now, he had only meant to scare her a bit. Seeing her eccentric fairy-like manner made him happy. He laughed with the empress, a broad smile forming on his face. He applied his doting feelings to his speech.

“You little mischievous girl…” Chu Han pinched her smooth, pink cheeks. He turned to face Chu Yue. “Yue’er, are there any abnormalities in the west?”

“There are not. All the practitioners who came from abroad have all entered the Luofeng Mountain Range. No one has stayed behind within the borders of our Chu. It seems that they all arrived for the sake of that legendary qilin. No one has harboured any intentions to act against our Empire of Chu.”

“Oh, then that’s good. But for a mythical qilin to appear in the Luofeng Mountain Range, that’s truly an unusual matter. Could there really be saints in this world?”

Chu Yue smiled. “Isn’t the wisest saint you, father? You don’t have to worry.”

Chu Han smiled in return. “Girl, why are you and your meimei just as glib-tongued as one another? Actually, I'm not too worried. For the past few years, our Chu has prospered and the people are at peace. I expect nothing much will change.”

“Right. Father, this time on my expedition to the western borders, I came across a genius. En, strictly speaking, it was meimei’s contribution. It was meimei who found him and captured him.”

“Oh? What kind of person is he?”

The princess scrambled to say, “He’s a degenerate, a smelly thief without any skills to speak of. He can’t even write.”

The princess’s anxious expression made Chu Yue laugh out loud. The princess, ashamed and angered, said, “Jiejie, don’t say it…”

“Haha~!” The emperor and the empress both broke out into laughter simultaneously. They seldom see the spirited princess appear so resentful.

“Yue’er, what on earth has happened?” asked the empress.

Chu Yue said, “Yu’er, can I tell them?”

Upon seeing the hopeful and curious expressions on the emperor’s and the empress’s faces, the princess released a sigh. “Tell them.”

Chu Yue explained the matter involving Chen Nan in its entirety. As they listened, anger began to appear on the faces of the emperor and the empress. Then, they couldn’t help but show utterly shocked expressions.

After hearing the whole story, Chu Han said to Chu Yu, “No wonder this mischievous little girl was so vague. It turns out that this happened as well. In light of his conduct and deeds, he truly deserves to die ten thousand times. It’s a pity that he’s a talent…”

The empress also chimed in, “This guy can truly be considered a genius. As long as he has Houyi Bow in his hands, he’s equivalent to an exceptional expert. But his words and actions are deserving of ten thousand deaths.”

Chu Han said, “Yu’er, you’ve really grown up. Under those circumstances, you still realized that he was a talent and spared his life. You’ve matured. I really don’t need to worry so much about you from now on.”

Chu Yu pouted her small mouth. “Haven’t I always been mature? But right now, I really regret not having killed him at that time.”

Chu Han mumbled something under his breath, and then said, “Spare him.”

Chu Yue also said, “I also think we should spare him. After all, a talent is hard to come across.”

The empress said, “Then we must seal his mouth. We can’t let him talk whatever drivel.”

Chu Yue replied, “After observing him for the past few days, I found that he isn’t that sort of person to shoot his mouth off. He should be aware of the situation he’s in.”

The empress said, “Then that’s good.”

Chen Nan had waited outside for a long while without seeing so much as a message. In his heart, he felt quite nervous. He imagined that he was currently confined within the gates of hell. Just when his anxiousness reached an extreme point, a palace maid came over to him. When she arrived at his side, she quietly asked, “Are you Chen-gongzi?”

“Yes.”

The palace maid said, “The Eldest Princess has ordered me to lead you into the palace and to tell you that you need not be nervous. In a moment when you see His Majesty the emperor, your speech only needs to be a little respectful, that is all.”

“Okay, I’ll keep that in mind.”

The reason why Chen Nan was nervous was because he had insulted the princess previously. He was deeply afraid that the emperor would blame him. After hearing the palace maid’s words, he let out a breath of air.

The interior of the imperial pace was richly ornamented. The walls were vermillion and the roof was a bright ivory. It was all splendidly gold and jade. Every palace hall was lofty and high. Their heights were irregular, spectacularly grand.

The Emperor of Chu summoned him to his study. With a look at the tall, stalwart, old man in front of him, Chen Nan kneeled down. Kowtowing in greeting, he said, “Commoner greets Your Majesty the emperor.”

“You may rise.”

“Thank you Your Majesty.” Chen Nan hung his head and stood up to the side.

Chu Han’s face was heavy as he coldly said, “Your words and actions towards my little daughter were incredibly rude. What do you have to say about this?”

Sweat appeared on Chen Nan’s forehead. “Yes, commoner had been momentarily muddled.”

Chu Han thickly said, “You may or may not know, but your conduct is deserving of ten thousand deaths.”

This time, the cold sweat on Chen Nan’s body even soaked through his underwear.

“However, the Eldest Princess was persistent in begging me for leniency against you. She said you live in the mountains and fail to comprehend proper etiquette and asked me to pardon you. I did not wish to spare you, but Yu’er also begged for leniency, saying you are a talent and can make up for your previous conduct. Because of them, I will not kill you.”

“Thank you Your Majesty for your forgiveness.”

Chu Han’s voice was no longer ice cold. Slowing down the pace of his intonation, he said, “You don’t have to be scared. I’ve pardoned you, so I definitely won’t kill you. Additionally, I’ve heard that you really are a man of ability. As long as you diligently serve my Great Chu from now on, I absolutely will not treat you unfairly.”

“Thank you Your Majesty.”

“En! From now on, you need not be as reserved as this. Even when you see me, you don’t have to be too courteous. From now on, you’ll be one of my Empire of Chu’s state officials. That is, a secret state official. Others must never find out about the matter regarding your capabilities with Houyi Bow.” A smile appeared on Chu Han’s face. “Hehe, because Chu has gained you as a talent, I feel very grateful. You need not be concerned about those previous matters. As long as you’re diligent and put in the effort, I’ll definitely promote you to nobility in the future.”

Chen Nan left the imperial palace. As he wiped the cold sweat off his forehead, he emotionally sighed. “That was dangerous. I almost said goodbye to this world. Hu~” He let out a long breath of air. However, the more he walked away from the palace, the more he mulled, and the more he felt that something was a bit wrong.

“I was almost stunned by that old man. A slap in the face and three rubs[4]; after that old fox gave me a random beating, he gave me a ‘candied jujube’ to eat afterwards. Using benevolence and might to make me obediently give up my life for him. That old fox is truly proficient in managing others. That old guy is worthy to have sat on the throne as the emperor for the past few decades.”

“Chen-gongzi, what are you mumbling to yourself about?” Chu Yue was dressed in fluttering white. She was beautiful beyond compare, refined and magnanimous.

“Oh, nothing. I was just lamenting how large this imperial palace is. I’ve quickly lost my way.”

“Hehe, follow me. I’ll lead you out and arrange for your residence without much extra effort.”

Chen Nan held a favourable opinion of the peerlessly magnificent Eldest Princess. Throughout the journey, she had showed consideration for him and helped him escape the princess’s ‘evil clutches’. Looking at Chu Yue’s matchless complexion—her amiable smile—he respectfully said, “Thank you Your Highness the princess.”

Chu Yue smiled. She led him away from the imperial palace. Outside of the Imperial City were the residences of the court ministers. The two of them arrived in front of an exceedingly expansive mansion. The decorated archway above the gate was extraordinarily imposing. Two formidable guardian lions carved out of white marble stood at either sides of the gate. On top of the vermillion gate, a board with a red background and golden lettering was suspended: Residence of Eccentrics.

Chu Yue said, “To be able to live here, one must be somewhat eccentric and have an extraordinary talent. Everyone here has a rather peculiar ability. From now on, you shall be staying here. In the beginning, you won’t be too familiar with this place and will be a little unaccustomed to it all, but you’ll grow used to it in time.”

The interior of the Residence of Eccentrics was divided into innumerable independent small courtyards. It was not at all imposing or luxurious like the other officials’ lodgings in front. On the contrary, it held a sense of home, a natural state. Every small courtyard had its own unique landscaping. Upon seeing Chu Yue, the so-called eccentrics and distinguished talents inside smiled and nodded to her, but didn’t advance towards her in greeting. It was thus clear that the status of these eccentrics with positions of state officials was quite respected.

Chen Nan’s own small courtyard was awfully isolated. Bluish-green bamboo was planted on the western side of his yard. Among the bamboo, a stone table and two stone chairs were hidden from view. The eastern side had a flowerbed. Among them were a few strange-looking stones.

Chen Nan asked, “Will I be living here from now on? I don’t have to do anything?”

Chu Yue smiled. “You’ll be living here for the time being. After a few days, I’ll seek someone out to help you recover your power. After that, I’ll seek someone out to teach you some profound martial skills so that you can better understand and utilize Houyi Bow.”

“Okay.”

“But you mustn’t run around wildly all over the place. You aren’t too familiar with others yet, so you must by all means not barge into their courtyards as you wish.”

Chen Nan thought this was peculiar. “Huh?”

Chu Yue said, “Among these people, some of them research poison techniques to the extent that snakes, bugs, and poisonous grass are all over their courtyards. If you mistakenly enter one of those courtyards, your body might become extremely poisoned. Some others also study magic. Sometimes, their formidable magical energy will destroy their entire courtyard. Also, some others…”

The more Chen Nan heard of them, the more apprehensive he became. Everyone living here was strange and disorderly. It was basically the headquarters of a terrorist organization.

Finally, Chu Yue said, “There are very few guards here, but every day, several unmatched eccentrics will take turns on patrol, so it’s completely safe here.”

Chen Nan grumbled over and over, “It’s over. My big plan to escape has completely fizzled.”

After seeing Chu Yue off, Chen Nan’s heart grew restless. "Those guys that play around with poison, won’t their snakes and bugs end up coming into my courtyard? And those wild magi blowing things up and destroying everything, won’t they be living beside me?”

[1] 龍騰/dragon soaring is similar to 龍飛/dragon flying; meaning ‘promotion to an official post’.

[2] 恨鐵不成鋼/hating iron for not becoming steel; meaning ‘resent someone for not meeting expectations’.

[3] 冰糖葫蘆/bingtanghulu: Candied fruits on bamboo skewers.

[4] 打一巴掌揉三揉/a slap in the face and three rubs; meaning ‘a fake friendship’.
    Last edited by Zoeng Saiwaa; 08-05-15 at 02:46 AM.

Thanks zoeng.

Thanks. Hope our guy will improve quickly.

Post V2C2

Volume 2: Dragon Soaring in the Imperial Capital 第二卷 龍騰帝都

Chapter 2: Eccentrics 第二章 奇士

After Chen Nan moved into the Residence of Eccentrics, he began researching his own ancestral profound skill. Now that his six senses were in peak condition and his spiritual awareness had returned, he regained his self-confidence that he formerly had when he was sixteen years old. He had faith that he’d be able to become exceptionally powerful within the shortest amount of time possible.

In the few days since the murky, pale yellow vital qi left behind within his body by Fairy Tantai had been eliminated, his cultivation progressed a thousand li each day.

Chen Nan did an internal inspection and discovered that the quality of his vital qi had changed. Its colour was even richer than before, and its circulation was even more smooth and unhindered. At the same time, he found that its aura outside his body was even fainter than before, nearly almost impossible for others to observe it. This all made him jubilant. Even exceptional experts who inspected him with scrutiny would find it hard to discover his profound consummate skill.

Chen Nan concentrated his power at his fingertips. Specks the size of a breadth of hair suddenly appeared. He was excited. He was already capable of transforming his vital qi into sword qi and distribute it densely on his body’s surface. His ancestral profound skill finally re-entered the second Chongtian of his Mahayana.

A golden light radiated all around his fingers, making them appear as sparkling and lustrous as jade. He stretched out two of his fingers and lightly placed a longsword in between them. With a bang, the longsword forged from highly perfected steel essence unexpectedly snapped into two pieces, falling to the floor.

Chen Nan was wild with joy. His power finally returned to the peak condition that it had previously been before Tantai Xuan had schemed against him. Furthermore, he sensed a breakthrough could occur at any moment. He’d finally be able to enter the third Chongtian in his ancestral profound skill.

He regained his self-confidence. The blood in his body was boiling. In time, it seemed like he’d be able to produce a several zhang long blade of bright vital qi. Then, he’d be able to move unrestrained under heaven.

“Daoists, magi… I want you guys to experience a martial artist whose cultivation reaches a profound level…”

A tremendous explosion echoed throughout the Residence of Eccentrics. Immediately after, the whole place began to sway. Chen Nan promptly ran out into his yard. His neighbour’s courtyard was surrounded by an aqua blue canopy of light. The sound of the explosion had come from that exact place. If that aqua blue magical screen hadn’t been there, then it’s hard to say whether his own courtyard would have been excused.

“Seriously? A mad, destructive magus that has a passion for chaos actually lives next door? ****!”

The magical screen gradually dissipated. The courtyard that it had surrounded had already been transformed into a pile of rubble. A small, withered old woman, scorched black from head to toe, hovered in midair. She coarsely laughed, “Gaga~! Although it’s another failure, I’m only a single step away from success. Gaga~!”

Chen Nan sighed inwardly. “Damn, she’s basically an old witch!”

“Gaga, I haven’t seen you before, boy. Little guy, are you new?” The Old Witch used a wind element magical technique to float over to Chen Nan’s courtyard.

“Yes,” Chen Nan forced himself to respond.

Just then, a large cry came from the other side of Chen Nan’s courtyard: “Xiao Hua, don’t run~!”

A big python with brocade scales and the girth of a bucket appeared on the wall of Chen Nan’s courtyard. Soon after, an elderly man with a white beard leapt on top of the wall as well. He patted the python’s head, saying, “Xiao Hua, don’t be scared. Don’t run around all willy-nilly. Hurry and return to the courtyard.”

The big python seemed to understand what the old man was saying and slowly slithered back.

Chen Nan was wide-eyed and slack-jawed. He pitifully shouted in his mind, “Seriously, I’m his neighbour too…? Damn!”

The old man noticed the Old Witch in the air and furiously said, “You damn old woman, you keep wrecking the place. You scared my Xiao Hua into running all over. From dawn to dusk, you can’t keep quiet for even an instant!”

“Gaga~! Old Poison Devil, I never came close to your courtyard. I was carrying out magical research in my own courtyard. It doesn’t have a goddamn thing to do with you!”

“You agitated my Xiao Hua, Xiao Lu, Xiao Jin… You crazy lady, you must have nothing to do all day long! All you know is destruction.”

“Old Poison Devil, you have insulted my dignity and have tarnished my great magical research project. I need to punish you. Ah~! You actually dare poison me… Lightning Ripple!”

The Old Witch descended from midair. Chen Nan’s heart instantly became pained. Not because he cared for the Old Witch, but because she had landed on his flower garden that he had loved so dearly.

Meanwhile, the old man standing on top of his courtyard’s wall was struck by lightning. His hair and beard all stood on end, every strand erect. He fell head first into Chen Nan’s courtyard. His entire body was scorched black and he emitted a wisp of greenish black smoke. A faint smell of cooked meat flooded the area.

“Old Poison Devil, hurry and give me the antidote or else I’ll thoroughly electrocute you. Tonight, I’ll eat your roasted spare ribs.”

“Damn old woman, you even burnt the antidote into ashes, so how can I give it to you? You best heal me so I can hurry and make up the antidote for you.”

Chen Nan stood in his courtyard, looking left and looking right. He wasn’t sure which direction was the best.

Spittle frothed from the Old Witch’s mouth. Her eyes rolled back into her head. The Old Poison Devil was in even more unbearable pain. He was baring his teeth in agony, groaning.

Chen Nan said, “Would you two seniors please yield a bit. If you continue like this, you’ll both lose your lives.”

The Old Witch gasped for air. “Fine. Old Poison Devil, I’ll turn half of your roasted ribs into raw ribs. As for the other half, I’ll wait for you to concoct the antidote before discussing it further.”

“Then hurry up.”

A gentle white light surrounded the Old Poison Devil’s body. In a just a short moment of time, his condition improved by a half. He wobbly stood up.

Chen Nan said, “Senior, I’ll open the gate for you. Be careful.”

“No, I can’t leave through the gate, that way is too slow. If we delay even a moment, that damn old woman will breathe her last breath. Help me climb the wall. I’ll go back that way instead.”

Chen Nan quickly ran over to him and helped him climb up onto the wall. After that, he feigned weakness in martial arts and also climbed up. When he reached the top of the wall, he looked down and almost fainted.

The old man had dug ten or so holes of all sizes into the ground of his courtyard. A hole for centipedes, a hole for scorpions, a hole for toads, a hole for vipers… Every hole was densely packed full of wiggling and squirming action. Furthermore, there wasn’t a hole without an assortment of medicinal herbs growing in it. A few relatively distinctive snakes and other similar creatures slithered around those medicinal herbs. For example, a golden centipede over one chi long, a python with brocade scales and the girth of a bucket…

The old man said, “Little brother, go down first so you can catch me.”

“No no no…” Chen Nan shook his head like a rattle-drum. Even if he were threatened with death, he wouldn’t go down there.

In the end, Chen Nan used both of his hands to grip the old man’s wrist to lower him down.

A dark green spider the size of a hand suddenly appeared on top of the wall. With just a glance, it was obvious that it was a highly toxic creature. Chen Nan instantly tensed up and relaxed his hands. The old man fell down with a plop.

“Ah~! Damn…” the old man cried out repeatedly.

Chen Nan nervously asked, “Senior, are you okay?”

“Damn… damn…”

“What happened? Where did you fall?”

Underneath the old man’s body was an exuberant patch of medicinal herbs. After getting off the medicinal herbs, a toad the size of a millstone could be seen.

“Crap… my Xiao Lu has been squished dizzy.”

“Fainting! It’s the toad that he loves so dearly!” Chen Nan leapt from atop of the wall back into his own courtyard.

“That’s seriously dreadful. Holy ****… A toad can actually be as large as a fat pig.”

After about the time it takes to drink half a cup of tea, the Old Poison Devil threw over the wall a porcelain bottle the size of a hand. “Get the stuff inside and pour it into that damned great-grandmother’s mouth.”

After Chen Nan took off the cork, he almost lost consciousness. Its smell was unbearably foul. He seriously doubted that it was the antidote. Even if it was, it most likely had some of that old fellow’s own ‘seasoning’ mixed in with it.

After pouring the fishy and foul liquid medicine into the Old Witch’s mouth, the Old Witch’s eyes rolled and she sat up. But she threw up right after.

“Ou… God dammit, what the hell did that damn old guy give me to drink?”

Just then, the Old Poison Devil pushed open Chen Nan’s courtyard gate and hobbled inside.

The Old Witch promptly rose into the air. She also put up her magical protective screen.

“Old Poison Devil, you actually gave such foul-smelling medicine for me to drink, yet you still dare to drop in for a visit, gaga~!” The Old Witch’s fingers crackled and rattled. Electric sparks began flashing about.

The Old Poison Devil was so scared he was trembling. Now that the Old Witch’s entire body was protected behind her magical screen, his poison techniques were simply useless.

“Hey, damn old woman, be reasonable. Don’t you know that good medicine tastes bitter and is beneficial for your ailments? Naturally that antidote was the real deal.”

“Utter rubbish. Do antidotes have that kind of fishy smell? Ou…” When she arrived at that point, the Old Witch threw up again. Meanwhile, a fine streak of lightning struck the Old Poison Devil.

The old fellow’s white hair once again stood erect like a lion’s mane. With much difficulty, he could still stand on his two feet, but all four of his limbs were twitching.

“Damn old woman, you’re capricious. Like a savage that doesn’t know an ounce of reason. You went back on your word. I saved you properly, yet you’re returning kindness with hatred.”

“Gaga~! If you hadn’t launched a sneak attack on me first, then how could I have gotten poisoned? You’re guilty and deserve to be punished.”

“Nonsense. Even if I didn’t attack first, you still would have used your magic against me. I merely struck first to gain the upper hand.”

The two of them continued to argue like this, but the Old Poison Devil was clearly lacking in confidence. He knew that under normal circumstances, he'd be unable to compete with that Old Witch under any conditions.

At the side, Chen Nan couldn’t watch this continue. He opened his mouth and said, “This… Two seniors, I feel that harmony is most precious. You need not injure the peace.”

The Old Poison Devil said, “I don’t care. So long as the burns on my body get healed, everything will be fine.”

Chen Nan also said, “Senior, you had better quickly heal this uncle’s injuries. Otherwise, others will start to think that we’re having a barbecue in the yard.”

“Gaga~!” the Old Witch gave a hearty cackle. “Alright. Seeing your expression, I’ll pardon him this once. Right, boy, what’s your name?”

“Junior is called Chen Nan.”

“Gaga~! I’ll bear that in mind.”

Soon after, the Old Witch read aloud a long incantation. A holy radiance accumulated on the Old Poison Devil’s body. His flesh that was severely cauterized gradually recovered its vitality. When the light dissipated, the old fellow had recovered his appearance of a lively dragon or an energetic tiger. There was not a trace of dispiritedness on his face.

Chen Nan secretly praised, “Magic really does have its own merits.”

After using the advanced recovery spell, a hint of exhaustion appeared on the Old Witch’s face. She said to Chen Nan, “Boy, you aren’t too bad. If you ever find yourself being bullied, you can always come find me. I’ll help you vent your anger.” With that said, she shot a ferocious glance at the Old Poison Devil.

The Old Poison Devil also chimed in, “Lad, I also think you’re not bad. Feel at ease. With me here, no one will dare bully you. Even if that bastard is powerful, doesn’t he still need to eat and drink? Heihei, I don’t believe that he can avoid my poison every time.” With that said, the old fellow also shot a glance back at the Old Witch.

“Hmph!”

The Old Witch gave a cold humph and then flew away.

Chen Nan said, “The courtyard of this senior who researches magic has already been obliterated, she probably won’t continue living here.”

The Old Poison Devil explained, “Of course. This damn old woman likes to live it up, how could she still stay here?”

Chen Nan was simply ecstatic. The Old Witch’s frightening destructive power was to be kept far away from him. If this Old Poison Devil were to also leave, then his personal safety would be even more ensured.

“Eh? Where did that senior run off to?”

“Into your backyard.”

Putong!

“Ai, youngster, why are you sitting on the ground for no reason?”

“Uncle, your snakes and bugs won’t crawl over to my courtyard, right?”

“Generally, no.”

Chen Nan modestly asked, “What do you mean generally…?”

The Old Poison Devil earnestly thought for a moment and then said, “En! If there isn’t too much noise, my darlings won't run around. Generally speaking, as long as that damn old woman stops her magical research, then it’s alright.”

“Then how often does she conduct her magical research?”

“More or less once a day.”

Putong!

“Ai! Youngster, are you sure you’re not feeling unwell? Why have you fallen onto the ground again? Let me see whether I need to bring you some elixirs. En, Decaying Corpse Poison, Red-Crowned Crane Skull Extract, Heartbroken Grass… Aiyah, these won’t do. Oh well, I still have Bone Transforming Pellets, Seven Step Soul Breaking Powder…”

Sou!

In the blink of an eye, Chen Nan vanished from the courtyard back into his house.

“Young people these days really don’t have any patience. I’m sure there’s some kind of medicine that’s suited for you. If not, I’ll go looking for some for you next time.” The Old Poison Devil leapt over the wall back into his own yard.

Chen Nan sighed, “No wonder this place is called the Residence of Eccentrics. The two people that I just met are simply ‘strange’ to an extreme point.”

After five days of living in the Residence of Eccentrics, a young lady came to pay him a visit. Although this woman didn’t have the devastating beauty of Chu Yue, she was still exceptionally attractive. She emanated a faint enlightened temperament, giving one a sense of tranquility.

“Hello, Chen-gongzi.”

“Hello. You are…?”

“I’m called Nalan Ruoshui. I’m also a member of the Residence of Eccentrics.”

“Hello Nalan-xiaojie. Thanks for visiting, please, come inside.”

After arriving inside the house, Nalan Ruoshui said, “I’ve heard the Eldest Princess say your power had been exhausted and has disappeared. I’ve somewhat studied the art of healing. I wish to try my hand in this aspect and see whether or not I can restore your power.”

Chen Nan was completely startled. He didn’t think the pretty girl before him was actually a national medical expert. He was under the impression that all famous doctors were old men with white hair and beards, yet the woman in front of him was so youthful.

“You want to help me restore my power?”

Nalan Ruoshui was extraordinarily serene. “Yes, that’s right.”

“But my power has already been crippled by someone; there really aren’t any medical techniques that can resolve it.”

“I can give it a try. By way of acupuncture and moxibustion, I’ll excite your whole body’s acupoints and rouse your body’s hidden capability. According to the theory, it may help you recover your power.”

Chen Nan decided to keep the fact that his power was already restored a secret after all. He smiled. “Then I’ll have to thank you, Nalan-xiaojie.”

Nalan Ruoshui indifferently replied, “Don’t mention it.”

From her sleeve, she drew out a small jade case. Inside it was filled with acupuncture needles. The jade case and the acupuncture needles shone brilliantly as one.

“Chen-gongzi, please take off your outer clothing.”

Following her order, Chen Nan threw off his spacious outer clothing, exposing his skin-tight inner clothes.

“Please take off all the clothes above your waistline.”

“This…” An exceptionally beautiful woman was looking at him as if he were goods, giving him a sense of embarrassment. But nevertheless, he followed her orders and removed the clothes on his upper body.

With the jade case in her hands, Nalan Ruoshui softly walked over to him. A faint, delicate fragrance wafted to Chen Nan’s nostrils causing his heart to stir.

“Has Chen-gongzi felt anything unwell in his body for the past several days?”

“Other than losing my power, I haven’t felt anything amiss.”

“Oh, well that’s good.”

Sensing the intoxicating, delicate fragrance almost within reach, Chen Nan was enchanted. Nalan Ruoshui seemed to notice the peculiar look in his eyes. With her slender jade fingers, she nipped an acupuncture needle and quickly stuck it into a major acupoint on his chest.

“Ah~!” Chen Nan miserably shrieked.

Nalan Ruoshui’s expression remained undisturbed, as if nothing had happened. She took out a second acupuncture needle and quickly and accurately inserted it into another major acupoint.

Chen Nan gave out another miserable scream. He muttered in his heart, “Acupuncture and moxibustion shouldn’t be very painful. Could she be deliberately using more power than necessary?”

As expected, the third needle and after weren’t nearly as painful as the first two.

Chen Nan said to himself, “This beautiful doctor’s temper is really great!”

In a short period of time, Chen Nan’s upper body was completely covered in acupuncture needles. At the moment, the vital qi within his body was beginning to stir, but he forcefully dispelled it within his meridian channels.

Nalan Ruoshui spread her slender jade fingers and began massaging the areas around where the needles were inserted. Bursts of heat came from her fingers and transmitted into Chen Nan’s body.

Chen Nan discovered that Nalan Ruoshui actually possessed some of her own genuine power. The vital qi that was being released from her fingers unceasingly excited his acupoints, causing him to sense the vital qi that was resting within his body to once again become lively.

“Meditate! Meditate!” he continuously reminded himself. Once again, his excited vital qi calmed.

In this way, the treatment lasted an hour. Chen Nan was already covered in profuse sweat. Nalan Ruoshui’s face was also scarlet. Her breathing was slightly staggered.

Seeing the lithe body with curves up and down in front of him, Chen Nan’s mind filled with those sorts of thoughts. A scowl flashed through her eyes in response. She indifferently said, “Chen-gongzi, if you wish to recover your power, then please immediately begin meditating. Work your former cultivation technique.”

Chen Nan shut his eyes and slowly regulated his vital qi, willing it to slowly move. He already felt that, after undergoing the acupuncture and moxibustion, all the acupoints along his meridian channels were incomparably comfortable and unrestrained. He naturally wouldn’t give up this opportunity to cultivate his ancestral profound skill, but he could only slowly move his vital qi. He didn’t dare to cause any large motions. Otherwise, Nalan Ruoshui would be able to detect it.

After an hour of slowly circulating it, he sensed that his vital qi had strengthened a bit. His power had somewhat progressed. When he opened his eyes, he found Nalan Ruoshui undisturbed, watching him attentively.

“How is it? Do you feel vital qi circulating within your meridian channels?”

“I don’t.”

“Not even a bit?”

Chen Nan shook his head.

Nalan Ruoshui thought for a moment. “This… En, we probably wasted a little too much time. Oh well, we’ll continue tomorrow. I believe that after being treated in this way for a while, your power will be restored.”

“Then many thanks, Nalan-xiaojie.”

Nalan Ruoshui plucked each and every one of the acupuncture needles out of his body, returning them to the jade case.

Watching her beautiful figure gradually fade into the distance, Chen Nan returned to his courtyard.

Although Nalan Ruoshui was an absolutely beautiful woman, she had an indifferent, enlightened temperament. That sort of still, enlightened temperament enticed others.

Chen Nan said to himself, “A beautiful doctor, indifferent and enlightened. To already become an eccentric in the field of medicine this young, she’s seriously a genius!”

“Boy, what are you wantonly smiling about?” The Old Poison Devil’s white head poked out from behind the wall. On his shoulders was a big dark green spider.

“Nothing…”

“You still tell me nothing? You were already drooling.”

“Fainting to the floor!” Chen Nan was helpless.

“What did I see wrong? Tell me the truth. Did you make up some naughty plan to get with some young lady?” The Old Poison Devil had the look of a shameless elder.

“Uncle, were you there peeping the whole time?”

“What peeping? I was just kind of curious, that’s all. I wasn’t careful and overheard you, and watched.”

“You weren’t careful?” Chen Nan was speechless.

“Yes. Right. boy, how did you lose your power? Also, what is it that you can do? Why are you staying in the Residence of Eccentrics?”

“Well…”

The Old Poison Devil said, “Don’t worry, there are no secrets among the eccentrics of the Residence of Eccentrics. Otherwise, the Eldest Princess wouldn’t feel at ease to have you stay here. Each and every person here has vowed loyalty and devotion to the Empire of Chu. No one here will expose the secrets regarding this place.”

Chen Nan thought for a moment. It did seem to be like this. He truthfully replied, “I can draw back Houyi Bow.”

“What?! Aiyah!” The Old Poison Devil was so alarmed that he fell off the wall, but in a second, he again emerged in Chen Nan’s courtyard.

“I didn’t mishear, right? You can draw back the sealed Houyi Bow? Holy shit. No wonder you can live here while you’re still so young. You’re seriously a national treasure!” The old man made a big fuss in admiration.

Seeing the Old Poison Devil jumping about, Chen Nan didn’t know whether to laugh or cry.

After a while, the old fellow calmed down and asked, “Boy, how did you lose your power?”

“This is a long story. If I have the time, I’ll tell you.”

“It doesn’t matter, just tell me it briefly. I really want to know.” The Old Poison Devil looked like a curious baby.

“In simple terms… En, well… A demon crippled it.”

The Old Poison Devil asked, “That’s it?”

Chen Nan said, “That’s it.”

“I-isn’t this too simple?”

“Well you wanted it to be simple.”

The Old Poison Devil said, “Well then tell me what happened in complicated terms.”

“…”

At that moment, the sound of a huge explosion erupted from behind Chen Nan’s courtyard. The Old Poison Devil screamed, “****, that destructive *****… My darlings were definitely startled by that.” With that said, he hastily leapt back into his own yard.

Chen Nan let out a breath of air. After returning to his house, he immediately sat down to meditate. All the vital qi within his body began frantically bubbling and surging about. Dazzling golden light suffused in abundance from his body. His entire body was enveloped by the golden radiance.

After about an hour, the golden light around Chen Nan’s body finally began to disperse, fading from his body’s surface. He suddenly jumped up. The vital qi in his body was turbulently surging. Facing upwards, he let out a long hiss.

Nalan Ruoshui’s medical expertise was truly excellent. After undergoing her acupuncture and moxibustion, in addition to that frantic urge to circulate the vital qi within his body, at present, his state of mind was cool and relaxed. His power had once again made great progress.

He suppressed the urge to howl at the sky and ran out into his courtyard, where he delivered a fist to the ground.

Honglonglong!

The entire yard immediately shook. The bamboo forest in his yard was wildly swaying, covering the ground with foliage. With him at the center, an enormous crack appeared on the ground.

The Old Poison Devil next door could be heard yelling, “God damn! That damn old woman still hasn’t finished her shit! Next time, I’ll definitely poison her so that she’s stuck in bed for at least three months. Xiao Bai, don’t run…”

Chen Nan’s hands emanated resplendent sword qi. The golden cutting edge of his strike had struck the dust and sand on the ground into the air. Shortly, the fissure in the ground was filled in again by the sand. He was exceptionally excited. His ancestral profound skill finally broke through the confines of the second Chongtian. He finally stepped into the third Chongtian. The heroic feeling of ten thousand zhang—the feeling of unrelenting gallantry—swelled in his heart.
    Last edited by Zoeng Saiwaa; 08-05-15 at 02:47 AM.

Thanks, Zoeng.

How did Chen Nan know 10,000 years had gone by?

Thanks Zeong for your hard work.

Quote Originally Posted by azureblue View Post
    How did Chen Nan know 10,000 years had gone by?
    Because plot.

*face palm* !?

Post V2C3

Chapter 3: Ancient Imperial Texts 第三章 皇家古籍

The next day when Nalan Ruoshui saw Chen Nan again, she was positively astonished. She was shocked to discover that the man standing in front of her had seemingly transformed into a whole new person. Although Chen Nan’s appearance was still as ordinary as always, the faint smile on his face, the deep look in his eyes… it really seemed like he had a newfound, indescribable temperament.

“Did you recover your power?”

“Nope. Why do you ask?”

Nalan Ruoshui said, “I feel that something has happened in your body. Your body seems to have gained some of that kind of temperament. Isn’t it because you recovered your power?”

Chen Nan was alarmed. He quickly suppressed his power. He laughed, “How could that be?”

Nalan Ruoshui resumed her undisturbed look. “I probably made a mistake. Alright, let’s continue with the acupuncture and moxibustion.”

This time, the acupuncture and moxibustion continued for two hours. After Nalan Ruoshui departed, Chen Nan hurriedly forcibly circulated his vital qi throughout all his vessels, but the result wasn’t nearly as great as the first time.

He opened his two eyes and let out a breath of air. “It seems there truly are no shortcuts when cultivating martial arts!”

From then on, Nalan Ruoshui visited nearly every day, but not every treatment was acupuncture and moxibustion. Sometimes, she would beat the acupoints all over Chen Nan’s body, hoping to reactivate his inner vital qi. Slowly, the two of them gradually became friendly with each other. Nalan Ruoshui was no longer as cold and indifferent as before. Occasionally, the two of them would chat more than just a few sentences.

From those conversations, Chen Nan deduced that although Nalan Ruoshui was a member of the Residence of Eccentrics, she rarely lived there. Normally, she lived at home with her family. Her father was an official of the court. Furthermore, his post couldn’t be considered as too low. She and Chu Yue had been friends playing together since childhood. As a result, she could regularly go to and from the imperial library’s room of ancient texts. The majority of her medical expertise had been learned from there.

When Chen Nan heard Nalan Ruoshui mention the ancient imperial texts, a light flashed through his two eyes. He knew that place would certainly hold some precious ancient books. Maybe there were some written accounts from ten thousand years ago. Thinking of this, he became ecstatic.

“Nalan-xiaojie, you can truly be regarded as a genius. Over half of your brilliant medical expertise was gleaned from your own studying. It’s truly admirable.”

Nalan Ruoshui indifferently said, “Actually, it wasn’t much. All you need is to work hard and put in some effort. Anyone could accomplish the same.”

Chen Nan sighed. “It’d be impossible for me. I’m a person of the mountains and fields. I don’t even have knowledge of writing. How could I learn those things from books?”

Nalan Ruoshui was startled. “Y-you’re illiterate?”

“Yep. I don’t know a single character. I don’t even know how to write my own name.” When Chen Nan said this, the look on his face turned somewhat desolate. Although it was a lie, there was still some of his genuine feelings hidden within it.

“I’m an orphan who was abandoned deep in the mountains. A kind old hunter took me in and adopted me. Due to being strained for money all my life, I never went to school to learn how to read and write. When I was sixteen years old, my foster father left me. From then on, the sky was drab…

“Aside from bringing me up, foster father gave me the warmth of family, and he taught me some martial skills. But how much strength can a sixteen year old kid have? Each time I went to go hunting deep in the mountains, I would find myself under the claws of beasts and run away panicking… The winter snow drowned my knees, but I didn’t have any shoes to wear. I could only wear my flimsy clothes and hide away in my simple and crude little hut that was devastated by the icy winds, trembling…

“No warmth, no food… I could only beg heaven to put an end to the wind and the snow earlier… During the endless winter, sometimes I could only eat once every six or seven days. Even then, it was only because of the kindness of my neighbours who took out rations from their own supplies to give to me in charity…

“Starving and freezing, I fell ill. One day, my neighbours noticed that they hadn’t seen me in a while, so they barged into the crude hut that my foster father had left behind. At that time, I was already in a coma for many days. According to the neighbours, I was constantly crying out: ‘Mama… Mama…’, but I know that in this life, I don’t have a mother. I only previously had a foster father…”

Chen Nan wiped the tears off his face. “Sorry, Nalan-xiaojie, I’ve wasted your time. I’m too emotional; I let it all out all at once…”

A watery mist clung to Nalan Ruoshui’s eyes. Her voice was gentle. “It is I who should be apologizing. It was I who made you recall your painful past. Sorry, I didn’t know you had such a harsh past.”

“It’s nothing. The suffering in my past has only made me cherish the happiness I have in the present even more.”

Women are naturally kind-hearted. Chen Nan’s ‘tragic past’ made Nalan Ruoshui’s heart fill with pain. She gently said, “Chen-gongzi, do you wish to learn how to read and write? I can teach you.”

“Truly?” Chen Nan, delighted, looked at her. This was what he was waiting for, but in his heart, he felt more or less ashamed. He had used a lie to gain sympathy.

“Of course it’s true. From now on, in the morning, I’ll treat you with acupuncture and moxibustion; in the afternoon, I’ll teach you how to read and write.” Currently, Nalan Ruoshui’s face no longer had her customary indifference, that coldness and detachedness. In its place, there was a flowery smile.

Chen Nan didn’t expect this girl, who had been outwardly cold, detached, and had a faint enlightened temperament, to surprisingly have this kind of charming smile.

Women are naturally kind-hearted, full of sympathy. Nalan Ruoshui was moved by Chen Nan’s ‘sorrowful childhood’. In the following days, she changed from her previous indifference. She carefully treated him with acupuncture and moxibustion and thought of all kinds of ways to try and restore his power. At the same time, she put her heart into teaching him how to read and write.

Shame took root in Chen Nan’s heart. He held great esteem and respect for this beautiful girl.

After half a month, Chen Nan’s ‘illness’ still hadn’t improved. This left Nalan Ruoshui flabbergasted. She rummaged through all kinds of medicinal records and texts, but remained helpless in the face of crisis.

In this period of time, Chu Yue visited a few times. Every time, she would console Chen Nan and tell him not to feel anxious.

The little princess also covertly came to visit a few times. Naturally, she deliberately made things difficult for Chen Nan every visit. Perhaps she felt a bit ashamed and guilty, but she was never too excessive. Despite this, the little demon still gave Chen Nan a headache. However, Chen Nan was baffled at the way she surreptitiously came and went. Later, he heard from Nalan Ruoshui why it was like so. As it turned out, the little demon was hiding from that magic researcher, the Old Witch.

The Old Witch once wanted to accept the princess as her disciple, but no matter what, the princess was unwilling. Instead, she actually paid respects to the martial arts grandmaster Zhuge Chengfeng as her teacher. Because of this, the Old Witch grew resentful. She almost went to find Zhuge Chengfeng to have a duel. Regardless, she never abandoned the idea of taking the princess as her disciple. Every time she saw her, she’d ‘use emotion to arouse her heart and use reason to provoke her mind’. The princess was afraid of her. Every time she’d visit the Residence of Eccentrics, it would always be a covert operation.

After hearing Nalan Ruoshui’s explanation, Chen Nan laughed wildly. He never expected that little witch of endless evil to be so vehemently scared and yielding. It was simply a fantastic story.

The trace of a faint smile emerged at the corner of Nalan Ruoshui’s mouth. To be able to make this kind of indifferent girl to smile, one could imagine the little demon definitely had a ‘nasty name that spread far and wide’ in the imperial capital.

One day, the princess’s teacher Zhuge Chengfeng suddenly returned, seriously injured. The community of practitioners in the imperial capital were in an uproar. Chen Nan was also aghast. He had personally witnessed the skill of this grandmaster level martial artist. His exceptional cultivation neared Dao. To this day, the great battle between Zhuge Chengfeng and the Monolithic Snake was still fresh in his memory.

Zhuge Chengfeng had indeed seen the legendary qilin. Countless practitioners had frantically rushed towards the qilin. Everyone wanted to tame the mythological beast. Even ones who had no hope in succeeding had stepped forward one after another, hoping to push the wave and bolster the ripples, adding momentum in the effort to kill it and thereby obtain a scale and half a claw—or any pieces that they could retrieve—to refine into medicine.

Zhuge Chengfeng had had a detached point of view. He had been fully aware of the strength of mythological creatures. Only unordinary people may have the capability to deal with one. A Divine Snake that had failed in its draconic transformation had already made him pull on his lapels, exposing his elbows and inability, let alone legendary mythological beasts. As he anticipated, the qilin had hardly been in a panic at being besieged from all sides by several hundred people. It had opened its mouth and breathed out a vast flame. The temperature of the flame had been dreadfully high. The first people who had rushed towards it were burnt into ashes that flew away and smoke that instantly dispersed.

Zhuge Chengfeng had originally wanted to leave after that, but the qilin, against all expectations, had fixed its gaze on him. The mythological beast was capable of identifying the most powerful individuals out of a crowd. Its mind had been filled with deep hostility towards the intruders who had forcefully burst into its ancient cave and roused it from its slumber. Leaving a trail of fire, it had immediately rushed towards Zhuge Chengfeng.

The great battle between Zhuge Chengfeng and the mythological beast had been incomparably desperate. Like a pond of fish, countless people who had come for the qilin suffered calamity. Some had been killed by haphazardly soaring sword qi that pierced their bodies in the struggle. Others had been burnt to ashes by the turbulent, raging flames. Countless people died violent deaths. Ultimately, Zhuge Chengfeng proved no match for the qilin and was seriously injured, but he had been able to escape from the incredibly dangerous Luofeng Mountain Range.

There was no more than one or two per ten people who successfully escaped from the danger. This matter gave rise to a tempest in the continent. Even more practitioners with profound cultivation burst into the Luofeng Mountain Range, wishing to tame the qilin as their mount. In particular were those dragon riders from the western continent. After hearing this news, their interest in the qilin completely eclipsed their interest in Monolithic Dragons. Ten incredibly formidable dragon riders all went off on a journey from their home countries, rushing towards this Luofeng Mountain Range.

Zhuge Chengfeng only briefly discussed this matter, but one could already imagine the danger. The battlefield had been undeniably many times more intense than that involving the Monolithic Snake.

After hearing this, the princess was extremely resentful. She pouted her lips, mumbling, “This is such a great show, but I never got a chance to see it. I really regret not being able to watch it. Old fogey is seldom made a fool of. I never expected to be able to see him in such a bad state with my own two eyes, ai…”

After Zhuge Chengfeng returned and explained what had happened, he hurriedly left to a secret place to heal. If he were to hear the complaints spouted by his treasured disciple, he’d definitely be so angry he’d vomit blood.

Afterwards, the matter involving the qilin boiled for over a month. Countless practitioners returned from combat with crippled feathers and crippled morale, until the qilin disappeared into the Luofeng Mountain Range. This matter finally came to an end.

Since the time Chen Nan’s ancestral profound skill had entered the third Chongtian, he could’ve easily left at any time, but he wasn’t in a hurry. Every day, other than receiving ‘treatment’, he’d focus all his concentration and effort in studying the continent’s common script.

Time passed quickly. In the blink of an eye, two months passed. Still, there was not even the slightest bit of an indication that his power ‘recovered’. But regarding the modern script of the continent, he already grasped it very well. This left Nalan Ruoshui amazed. She never thought he’d be so talented in the aspect of reading and writing.

Chen Nan madly read all kinds of history books: true history, unofficial history… It was all overturned by him.

Whenever he thought of Shenmo Cemetery, his heart would pound. He had come back to life in that ancient graveyard, so he was particularly interested in its past. He was dying to learn of all its secrets. Chen Nan had an unusual, intense feeling that the alarming, gargantuan secret from ten thousand years ago wasn’t completely erased from history. Sooner or later, there would come a day when the water subsides, exposing the rocks—and exposing the truth.

He vainly scoured through history books looking for spider’s thread and horse tracks—any traces at all—from ten thousand years ago, but he was disappointed. All the history data only covered up to the major events that had occurred in the past five thousand years. There was simply no information dating from ten thousand years ago.

Nalan Ruoshui was surprised at his interest in history. She couldn’t help but inquire, “Chen-gongzi, why do you have such a passion for history? The Residence of Eccentrics has all sorts of poems and ballads, how come I’ve never seen you look at those?”

Chen Nan laughed, embarrassed. “This… Although poems and ballads are much more creative and artistic and rouse people’s sentiments, I find that history contains even more emotion. It leaves one quivering in their thoughts. Before, I was illiterate, so I never read a book and never knew that the continent has such a turbulent and magnificent past. A strong empire rises up and then perishes; an outstanding nation is prosperous then declines… The wind and rain from five thousand years ago, the dazzling glory from five thousand years ago… it can deeply move someone—it’s simply inspirational!”

A hint of a peculiar expression flashed through Nalan Ruoshui’s eyes. She smiled. “Chen-gongzi, you’ve been moved so deeply, it seems like your gains are not few!”

Chen Nan felt ashamed. He didn’t think his crazy nonsense would make it seem like he’d been so deeply moved.

“You’ve only learned to read just two months ago, yet you’re already capable of reading through the continent’s history. It’s really admirable!” Nalan Ruoshui praised. A smile was suspended on her face.

Chen Nan saw that Nalan Ruoshui’s current mood was pretty good. He decided to put into action the plan that he formulated a while ago. “Nalan-xiaojie, I’ve read all the history books in the Residence of Eccentrics. Perhaps the two of us go to the imperial library’s room of ancient texts and browse through it together?”

Nalan Ruoshui looked at him, taken aback. “Are you truly that interested in history? The imperial library’s room of ancient texts is looked after very closely. Only by relying on my status as Chu Yue’s close friend can I go in. If I were to bring someone else, I’m afraid it’d be very difficult. But we can give it a try. If we can get Princess Yu to accompany us, then the possibility of you entering may go up a bit.”

With the topic of the little demon raised, Chen Nan’s head began to ache. He promptly shook his head. “That’s okay then, I’ll continue to stay in the Residence of Eccentrics and read some of the poems and ballads.”

“It doesn’t matter. Tomorrow, I’ll go look for Princess Yu.”

“No no… I seriously can’t go. If I read that much history, I’ll get a headache.”

“Hehe…” Although Nalan Ruoshui was ordinarily as cold as ice and rarely displayed her smile, her current flowery smile was particularly touching. It was like a ripple of spring water, rippling into one’s heart.

Chen Nan became despondent. Nalan Ruoshui’s following words struck him back into reality.

“Don’t worry. I definitely won’t go find Princess Yu to accompany us. I need to find her to find Her Highness Princess Yue. Princess Yu is famous for being troublesome, why would I randomly want to cause trouble for myself.”

Chen Nan forced a laugh. “I didn’t think Her Highness the princess’s reputation was so great. I thought only I considered her a headache.”

Later that evening, Chen Nan was lying in bed recalling his experiences from the past two months, all the drama that had played out. He unexpectedly became a secret state official for the Empire of Chu. The greatest benefit he had gained in the past two months was fluency in the continent’s modern script. He had completely assimilated into society.

The next day, there was the trace of a smile on Nalan Ruoshui’s face. She said to Chen Nan, “Princess Yue has already informed the management of the imperial library. In a while, after your acupuncture and moxibustion, you can come with me together for a visit.”

Chen Nan was delighted at the unexpected good news. After a session of acupuncture and moxibustion, he followed Nalan Ruoshui out of the Residence of Eccentrics. Ten or so warriors were protecting a luxurious carriage nearby. Nalan Ruoshui told him to get into the carriage with her, and Chen Nan thanked her. Throughout the whole journey, he could smell her intoxicating, delicate fragrance. They quickly arrived at the Imperial City.

The restricted land of the imperial palace; a civil official descends from his palanquin; the military officials dismount from their horses; other than the imperial family, no one else was able to enjoy this spectacular, luxurious treatment. Within the imperial palace, the halls were lofty and high, heights irregular. A majestic scene. Chen Nan followed Nalan Ruoshui to the imperial library, a left turn here, a right turn there, until they arrived outside a grand hall.

The person in charge here was an imperial secretary of about forty years of age. Thanks to Chu Yue’s prior message, he didn’t say much.

Within the hall, the ancient records were like mountains, beautifully chaotic. Every row and every column was stacked neatly and tidily.

Within this ocean of books, Chen Nan passed over the poetry, passed over the astrology books, passed over the medicinal books… He arrived directly at the door of a storeroom with a labelled sign: History. Peering inside, there appeared to be close to ten thousand books. He grew dizzy. With this many books, it would take him how many years and how many months to be able to read all of them? This was just too many.

He patiently went searching in the ocean of books. He only scanned the first page of every book. If its contents were from within the past five thousand years, then he’d uniformly ‘return it home’.

In the following days, Chen Nan and Nalan Ruoshui would back and forth between the Residence of Eccentrics and the room of ancient texts at the imperial library every day. He uninterestingly browsed through history books daily.

One day, Chen Nan extracted a book from the bookshelf in passing. He opened it up and saw that the calligraphy was modern. He thought for a moment, and then went to return it to its original position. But the four words of the cover, ‘The Ranks of Practitioners’, roused his interest. As he was in the middle of pushing it back into its place on the shelf, he took it back out.

He flipped open the book, hoping to skim over it once, but he shortly found that it piqued his interest. This book pertained to the ranks of practitioners and how their strengths were divided. Daoists, magi, eastern martial artists, and western martial artists all had their own standards in regards to dividing their strength. But in order to compare their levels of strength, no matter how weak or great, they were all divided into five ranks. However, the lowest rank described was still an expert of experts. People who were able to ascend to one of these ranks were truly of a class of tyrannical strength. Ordinary experts were simply not included within the scope of this book.

After reading through the book’s introduction, he definitely understood the profound strengths of the practitioners on the present day continent.

Daoists were the most mysterious. Because they very rarely took action, there was some controversy within the outside world regarding the divisions of strength among them. Their level of cultivation was simply divided like so: Zhuji, Yangqi, Ninghua, Jiedan, and Yuanying. However, the book also explained that there may also be an even higher level above these. The highest level of legends led directly to the realm of immortals. This was nothing more than conjecture; no one had ever seen these kinds of people in action.

The strength of magi could be divided like so: Amateur Magus, Intermediate Magus, High Magus, Grand Magus, and Magic Daoshi.

Eastern martial artists’ levels of cultivation could be divided like so: Refining Essence into Qi, Innate Condition, Sword Qi Beyond the Body, Refining Qi into Spirit, and Concentration of Spirit and Consolidation of Qi. Additionally, the book also mentioned that there has been someone who had surpassed these five levels. Their body’s unrivalled power was unfathomable by others. They could even be said to be a god.

The strength of western martial artists could be divided like so: Sword Craftsman, Sword Expert, Sword Adept, Sword Saint, and Sword God. Aside from these, western martial artists also possessed the classification of a unique practitioner—dragon riders. These tyrannical practitioners and their awe-inspiring dragons were bound together. They possessed their own stifling, terrible, destructive strength that could be divided like so: Land Dragon Riders, Flying Dragon Riders, Auxiliary Dragon Riders, Monolithic Dragon Riders, and Holy Dragon Riders.

The distinct classes of practitioners were all divided into five ranks. In this way, their strengths could be compared with one another. Generally speaking, there wasn’t much of a difference between the strengths of equivalent ranks. However, Daoists and magi clearly dominated over martial artists. When their opponent was weaker—when their opponent was of a lower rank—then they’d exhibit their unique strengths to directly manipulate the world’s original vital qi, to conduct large-scale attacks, or to indiscriminately attack many different opponents simultaneously.

If it was according to what the book states in the way it divides up the levels of strength into ranks, then the majority of martial artists were still blocked off from the ranks of experts. Although martial skills could be cultivated by anyone, the overwhelming majority of practitioners did not have a very profound level of cultivation. Only a small number of talents were capable of becoming a ranked expert.

Although the required constitution for Daoists and magi was comparatively high, it meant that the number of practitioners was very low, but the great majority of these practitioners were ranked experts. It was obvious that a practitioner’s constitution and their future accomplishments were heavily related. Overall, there was little difference between the numbers of ranked experts of the four kinds of practitioners.

Chen Nan closed the book and let out a long breath. He finally figured out the ranking of the strength of modern practitioners. But he was sure that the highest level of practitioners was definitely not limited to these five ranks. According to his limited knowledge, that year, his father Chen Zhan’s cultivation had already surpassed Concentration of Spirit and Consolidation of Qi, the fifth rank of eastern martial artists.

He objectively estimated the rank of his own strength. His ancestral profound skill had already reached the third Chongtian. He should just be capable of sending his sword qi out of his body. It was just enough for him to be considered a practitioner of the third rank. According to the continent, he was already a genuine expert.

To be able to accidentally discover this book, Chen Nan felt that he had benefited not lightly.

In the next several days, he became familiar with a strange, old man in the book room. The old man was abnormally old. His two eyes were turbid and lacked liveliness. His teeth had lost their glow long ago. His skin was as wrinkled as a crumpled up ball of paper. His glowing bald head had few sparse hairs—only ten or so.

When Chen Nan had first seen the old man, he had jumped back in fright. He had even thought he was a departed ghost that had suddenly escaped from his coffin and was looking for vengeance. In order to be polite, every time he’d see the old man, he’d smile at him in greeting, but they had yet to speak a word to each other.

One day, Chen Nan was just browsing through some dusty, old, history books when the old man’s voice suddenly sounded from behind him: “Youngster, do you like history?”

Chen Nan was so startled he almost jumped. The strange old man resembled a specter, soundlessly arriving not even one chi behind him. He secretly blamed it on how engrossed he was in the books.

“Ah, yes. I prefer it, but it seems like there aren’t many ancient works here. The earliest they date back to is only five thousand years.”

“Oh, you like reading ancient books? Can you understand the writing?”

“En, I have some academic achievements in ancient writing. I can read most of the ancient text.” He raised the book in his hand and said, “Look, this is the writing from four thousand years ago. Although it’s more complicated compared to modern writing, I can still figure it out.” Chen Nan absolutely did not lie. He was actually quite sensitive to written languages. Besides, the modern common writing on the continent had originated and evolved from Xianhuan Continent’s ancient writing, so it wasn’t hard to compare the two. It also wasn’t too hard to distinguish the writing in between the two ages.

Chen Nan seemed to be seeing things. It seemed like he saw a trace of a green light flash out of the old man’s turbid eyes.

The old man asked, “Why do you like reading ancient books?”

Chen Nan answered, “I’m rather interested in the legends and myths from ancient times and want to learn a thing or two.”

The old man laughed out loud. Hearing his laughter, Chen Nan felt that it was remarkably awe-inspiring.

“Youngster, if you are truly capable of understanding ancient writing, I can take you to another room of books. Genuine ancient documents are located only in that room. Those books are much older than the ones here.”

Chen Nan was delighted. At the same time, he began to guess the old man’s identity. He could already see that the old man was definitely not some ordinary fellow. Otherwise, there’s no way he’d be able to take him to another storeroom of books.

Passing through the main hall, the two of them headed towards a back hall. The back hall was especially quiet. Pushing open the big, thick door, row after row of bookshelves presented themselves to Chen Nan’s eyes. The bookshelves were filled with various historical books.

After taking his first step into the ancient book room, Chen Nan sensed a trace, subtle difference. It undulated and trickled in fine streams, like a faint, cool breeze. It was indistinct, elusive.

“Fainting to death! Are the books here turning back into energy or something? How can there be this sort of undulation?” Now that the obstruction within Chen Nan’s body was purged and his spiritual awareness had recovered, his awareness of the external world was much keener and sharper than that of ordinary people.

The old man appeared not to feel anything at all. “Look, everything here is ancient books. Most of them are priceless, lone works. If you can read them, this place is undoubtedly a precious deposit of treasure.”

“A precious deposit of treasure?” Chen Nan was a little puzzled.

The old man explained, “Many of these books pertain to martial arts, magic, medicine, the art of poison, and so on. Many of them are even describe special skills that had never been passed down. The imperial family sent specialists here to sort, translate, and edit these ancient books, but they could only translate a small portion. I don’t know how deep your achievements are in regards to ancient writing, but if you surpass those specialized, graduated scholars…”

Chen Nan didn’t wait for him to finish speaking. He penetrated deep into the pile of books.

Day after day, he wandered around the ancient history books. This left Nalan Ruoshui astonished. After she unintentionally discovered that Chen Nan could read the ancient writing, her jaw dropped. When Chen Nan sorted out an ancient record discussing ancient medicine and gave it to Nalan Ruoshui, she was moved and sharply cried out, “My God! <Medical Saint’s Personal Letters>! I’m not dreaming, am I?” She ecstatically embraced Chen Nan.

Feeling her soft body against him, Chen Nan became enchanted. He returned Nalan Ruoshui’s hug, but her delicate, soft body quickly left his embrace. From a distance, she gave him a gentle smile.

From then on, whenever Chen Nan saw Nalan Ruoshui’s smile, his heartbeat couldn’t help but quicken.

“Should I find another medical book for her today?”

“Boy, what are you so infatuated about? Looking at your immature appearance, it really makes my old self ashamed to be a man with you,” The Old Poison Devil timely said. His arms clung to the courtyard’s wall. He poked his head up from behind it.

“Damn old man, you were peeping on me again. You’re seriously too perverted and disgusting. Watch me go buy a bunch of firecrackers, set them off, and throw them over into your courtyard.” As the two of them became more and more familiar with one another, Chen Nan and the Old Poison Devil gradually began cracking jokes. Now whenever they saw each other, they even spoke sarcastically. However, just like before, he didn’t dare to joke around with the Old Witch. The Old Witch continuously moved to the east of his courtyard and to behind his courtyard, scaring him senseless.

“You dare! If you light firecrackers, I’ll have you take Seven Step Heartbreaker, Ten Step Soul Breaker, Thirteen Step Flesh Decomposer, and Fifteen Step Bone Disintegrator.”

“****, you damned, old, perverted man.” Chen Nan turned cold. He quickly walked out of the Residence of Eccentrics. Today, Nalan Ruoshui wasn’t going to help him with acupuncture and moxibustion. She had said she wanted to carefully study the <Medical Saint’s Personal Letters> and treat his illness afterwards.

After Chen Nan arrived at the ancient book room, he found that old man already present.

“Youngster, you’re not bad. It seems like you actually do have some achievements in ancient writing. You can actually understand that ancient script. Today, my old self has to trouble you with something.”

“Oh, old man, please speak. If I’m able to help you, I definitely will.”

From his bosom, the old man fished out a yellowing ancient book. He placed it on the table. He fetched a brush and began transcribing it. After a while’s worth of time, the entire piece of paper was filled with a copy.

“Here. Can you help me translate the content written on this piece of paper?”

Chen Nan received it and took a look. The writing wasn’t very clear or coherent at all. “Old man, this writing doesn’t make much sense. Are you sure you didn’t copy it incorrectly?”

The old man said, “As long as you translate it accurately, it’s alright. You don’t have to worry about it making sense. Every day, I’ll have you translate three sheets, is that okay?”

“Sure, no problem.” Chen Nan inwardly said, “This old guy seriously suspects me. He actually broke up and scattered all the words, yet he is still making me translate it. Why does he need to keep it so secretive? What is this book?”

The favourable opinion of the old man he had held previously had now utterly vanished. He knew that the strange, old man had wanted to court his favour all along. His goal had been simply to have him translate this book.

According to Chen Nan’s estimations, the writing on the paper seemed to be of a calligraphic style from six or seven thousand years ago. There were very few words, but among them included ‘god’, ‘corpse’, and so on, arousing Chen Nan’s sensitive vocabulary. This just made him even more curious about the book.
    Last edited by Zoeng Saiwaa; 08-05-15 at 02:48 AM.

Thanks, Zoeng.

Thanks Zoeng. Our MC seem to be pretty good at conning ladies.

Post V2C4

Chapter 4: Ancient Tomb Below the Imperial Palace 第四章 皇宮下的古墓

In a flash, another month passed. During that time, Nalan Ruoshui continued to treat Chen Nan’s illness, but he didn’t ‘improve’ at all. Chu Yue also visited. She gave Chen Nan a thin booklet. The booklet contained several internal foundation techniques. She had Chen Nan select one to begin cultivating anew. From these actions, it was clear that Chu Yue no longer held any hope whatsoever in regards to Chen Nan recovering his power.

However, Chu Yue was left greatly disappointed. No matter what foundation technique Chen Nan cultivated, there was never any result at all. Not a single thread of vital qi condensed. The Eldest Princess felt somewhat anxious. Finally, she brought Houyi Bow with her to the Residence of Eccentrics to have Chen Nan give it a go and see whether or not he could still draw back the bowstring under his circumstances. The result was obvious. Chen Nan put on an act and tried (and failed) to draw it back, before he discouragingly said, “I can’t. It won’t draw back at all.”

Chu Yue furrowed her beautiful forehead. “How can it be like this? It doesn’t make any sense. Ruoshui never lies. She said that according to the theory, your power can be recovered. Moreover… cultivating martial arts from anew also doesn’t have any effect…”

Chen Nan aptly replied, “I think my body has something odd going on, but when I just held Houyi Bow, I felt very unusual. I seemed to sense an indication that my inner vital qi was almost restored.”

Chu Yue’s eyes shone. “Really?”

“Really. I really sense that kind of feeling.”

Chu Yue contemplated for a moment, and then said, “That’s good. I’ll have Houyi Bow remain with you. Diligently interact with it; perhaps it will help you recover your power. However, I’ll need to dispatch some men to come guard it. After all, the Godly Bow is our Empire of Chu’s national treasure. It’s just in case a thief were to find out about it being here and come to try steal it, which wouldn’t be any good.”

Chen Nan assumed a look of gratitude. With teary eyes, he said, “Your Highness the princess, for the sake of helping me recover my power, you’d actually let me borrow the national treasure. Such benevolence. If I recover my power, I’ll pledge my life to the Empire of Chu to repay your kindness.”

Chu Yue dully smiled. She nimbly left.

Beginning on that day, some imperial guards were stationed outside of Chen Nan’s courtyard. Day and night, they guarded his courtyard.

“Are they here to prevent robbers from stealing Houyi Bow, or are they worried that I’ll take Houyi Bow and abscond?” He didn’t think too deeply about this question. After all, Chu Yue had left a pretty good impression on him.

For the past few days, Chen Nan had been rather puzzled. He admitted that for a while now, he had held a good opinion of Nalan Ruoshui, but he believed that it definitely wasn’t love. But that day he hadn’t gotten to see the beautiful doctor, he felt that his heart had become vacant.

Originally, he wasn’t too sure of his own feelings until Nalan Ruoshui became occupied. It was only when she had vanished from his line of sight for a few days did he feel that his heart contained Nalan Ruoshui’s figure. But after careful consideration, he ultimately concluded that it was nothing more than a good opinion.

There are some things that people will never be able to forget. The reality etched in the bones and inscribed in one’s heart can never be erased. Up until now, Chen Nan had been unable to forget about his confidante from ten thousand years ago. The scene of Yu Xin dying in place of him frequently appeared in his mind. Whenever he recalled the bits and pieces from his past, his heart would become unbearably pained. He didn’t know how much time he needed until he could begin a new relationship.

Although Chen Nan didn’t know the beautiful doctor’s opinion, he felt that Nalan Ruoshui seemed to have been dodging something. Whenever she faced him, she wasn’t as undisturbed as she once was. His heart skipped a beat. “I mustn’t misunderstand others and myself!”

“Could she…”

Today, after Chen Nan arrived inside the ancient book room, he helped the old man thoroughly translate the last few pages of the ancient book. The old man grasped the translated scroll in his hands. “I’ve already gotten what I’ve wanted. What about you, have you found whatever it is you’ve wanted to find?”

Chen Nan, startled, said, “Huh? What do you mean?”

“Heihei…” the old man laughed. The ravines covering his face shuddered.

“Youngster, you’re rather complicated. Few in years, but your cultivation is already this astonishing. Not only that, but you can also understand ancient languages. You’re truly a genius!”

“Eh? Old man, what are you talking about? Why can’t I understand you?”

The old man said, “Youngster, you don’t have to keep pretending. I don’t harbour any malicious intent towards you. Actually, since the first day you set foot in this room, I already discovered that you were a profound practitioner. Your cultivation ought to have just reached the third rank.”

Chen Nan’s mind was boggled. The practitioner aura that his body emitted was extremely faint. He never expected the old man to be able to see through him on their first encounter.

The old man said, “If you aren’t yet twenty years old, with your cultivation, you’d be considered as one of the top twenty practitioners under the age of twenty on the continent. If you’re almost twenty five years old, your cultivation would still enable you to be considered as one of the top two hundred practitioners on the continent. No matter what age group you belong to, you’d be considered as one of the most remarkable young experts.”

Chen Nan didn’t speak. He calmly observed the situation develop.

The old man said, “Youngster, you’ve suppressed it pretty well. I believe that there aren’t too many people that are capable of seeing through your outstanding skill, but I’m capable of it.”

Chen Nan nodded. “Old man, your vision is indeed as bright as a torch. Junior cannot possibly hide when in the presence of senior.”

The old man also nodded. “What are you looking for?”

Chen Nan didn’t reply. Instead, he asked, “What is senior looking for? And did you get it?”

The old man laughed. The heaps of wrinkles on his face all lightly shuddered together. It was actually kind of frightening.

“Heihei, youngster, I had you translate ancient text that was disordered, with sentences that were broken apart and scattered. You probably hold considerable amount of resentment for me, right?”

Chen Nan said, “No, that’s not true.”

The old man said, “I didn’t have any other methods. That book is a thing from heretic groups. Its contents involve many taboos. Ordinary people can’t possibly tolerate them. I was afraid that if you were to find out, you’d loathe my old self and not help me translate it. Because of that, I set up this scheme.”

Chen Nan asked, “A thing from heretic groups?”

The old man answered, “Yes, I had no other alternative. I’m already over a hundred and seventy years old now. My body is already deteriorating beyond recognition. I didn’t fully cultivate Dao, and I wasn’t too talented in martial study, so I can’t turn my body youthful again…”

“Over a hundred and seventy years old! Become youthful again?!” cried out Chen Nan, startled.

“Yes. Over seventy years ago, I had a little accomplishment in my martial cultivation. When I was a hundred years old, I regained my youthfulness. In these past ten or so years, although my power has progressed profoundly, I was incapable of stepping into even higher levels all along. My body gradually began to age—time isn’t waiting for me! The realm of immortals is becoming farther and farther away.”

Chen Nan’s jaw dropped in awe. He never thought the old man in front of him, seemingly in the last moments of his life, could actually be an exceptional expert. The old man’s ‘little accomplishment’ that he had mentioned was definitely not merely just ‘little’; it was definitely a major advancement in power.

The old man continued, “For the purpose of prolonging my life, I had no choice but to research evil books for alternative methods and techniques in the hope that one day, I’d be able to comprehend and transcend life and death.”

Chen Nan was amazed. “Study evil books? Transcend life and death?”

“Yes. Actually, there was originally no difference between justice and evil in this world. ‘Justice’ is merely acknowledged by the overwhelming majority of people, yet ‘evil’ is something that the overwhelming majority cannot possibly tolerate. Now that I’ve become this old, I can see through everything. I’ve long ago realized that there isn’t a difference between justice and evil, and I pay no mind about whatever practitioner manuals. As long as I can prolong my life, then that’s ‘justice’.”

Although Chen Nan thought that there was some reason in these words, he felt a chill run down his spine. He mentally said, “People say Buddha ages into a devil. Once this old guy attains a certain level of power, won’t he eventually descend onto the path of demons?” He was now certain that this old man’s cultivation was of the fifth rank at the very least.

The old man reiterated, “Youngster, what are you looking for?”

“It’s as senior says, I’m indeed searching for something. I’ve said before that I’m extraordinarily interested in ancient legends and mythology. In particular, the history of Shenmo Cemetery leaves me silly and bewildered. With the help of the imperial family’s boundless collection of books and records, I aspire to unearth its veil and uncover the mystery.”

A light flashed through the old man’s eyes. “Shenmo Cemetery has been mystifying for all eternity. I don’t know how many generations have been perplexed by it. If you’re able to unravel the hidden spider’s thread and horse tracks, you’ll definitely cause a sensation throughout the entire continent. Have you found anything?”

Chen Nan sighed. “Nothing. I’ve rummaged through nearly the entire ancient book room, yet Shenmo Cemetery is like an endless void; there’s nothing at all on it. There isn’t a single book that has its history recorded.”

The old man said, “Ai, the truth has already been annihilated from history. If you want to learn about what happened ten thousand years ago, I’m afraid you’ll only find out once you enter heaven.”

Chen Nan nodded in agreement. The Empire of Chu was the eastern continent’s most formidable empire. Its imperial library could be said to be all-inclusive, yet there wasn’t even the slightest trace of Shenmo Cemetery’s origins recorded. It was obvious that the truth of its origins would not be found within historical records.

At this time, Chen Nan suddenly sensed a peculiar undulation rippling softly through the ancient book room. It was exactly the same as that time when he had first stepped into the room. Previously, he hadn’t paid much attention to it. This time, he shut his two eyes and carefully sensed that hint of undulation. Slowly, a look of astonishment arose on his face. That trace undulation was unexpectedly coming from underground.

Seeing his face undergo a drastic change, the old man nodded in acknowledgement. “To be even able to sense this trace, subtle undulation, youngster is indeed not simple. Your body’s spiritual root is evident.”

Chen Nan asked, “Senior, what is that?”

The old man replied, “Alright, for the purpose of repaying your help in translating that ancient scripture for me, I’ll lead you to go take a look.”

The old man led Chen Nan before a bookshelf. With some effort, he pushed the bookshelf to the side. After that, he fumbled about on the floor. A pitch-black tunnel entrance appeared before Chen Nan’s eyes. The undulation was coming from that precise place.

Chen Nan simply didn’t dare trust his own eyes. The majestic imperial library surprisingly had this kind of secretive place.

The old man said, “Seventy years ago, I had a little success in martial arts, and my body’s spiritual root began to open. I accidentally sensed this trace, peculiar undulation. I never thought that you’d naturally possess a spiritual root. Ai, some people just cannot be compared to others!”

Chen Nan was a little doubtful. “How can this imperial ancient book room have this kind of secret tunnel?”

The old man smiled. “This tunnel is something that I personally secretly excavated.”

“You excavated it?” Chen Nan was amazed. This old guy’s courage was seriously too much.

“Anything is possible. The emperor wouldn’t dare say anything even if I were to boldly dig out a cavern under his throne, because I’m his great--great-grandfather.”

Fainting! Crazily fainting! Chen Nan was seriously a little bit at a loss. He never expected this old man to be so great.

“Follow closely behind me. I’ll lead you down to take a look.”

The tunnel spiralled down, snaking underneath the ground. Chen Nan stepped down with gentle footsteps, following the old man. He was more or less apprehensive. Following the pitch-black tunnel, they descended about thirty or so meters down. About ten meters below them, a bright light shone. The two of them arrived at the origin of the bright light. The tunnel that the old man had excavated intersected with this place in the form of the character 丁.

The tunnel was historical and motley. The four walls were as hard as unshakeable diamond. One could imagine how challenging it must have been to dig out this tunnel. The tunnel was square. A night pearl was embedded into the wall about every three zhang. The bright light was being emitted from this exact pearl.

Chen Nan sighed in amazement. “Wow, how lavish. A pearl is priceless. It’s hard to imagine there would be one here, let alone so many. How many pearls are being used as ordinary light sources here?” With that said, his two eyes stared unblinkingly at those pearls.

The old man said, “Boy, grow up a bit. Do you want to rob a tomb?”

“Ah, th-this is a tomb?” Chen Nan felt his back turn cold. He found the light emanating from those pearls had somewhat of a bewitching strangeness to them.

“Of course. What kind of living person lives underground?”

“No way. How can there actually be a tomb constructed underneath the magnificent Empire of Chu’s imperial palace?”

“At the time when the imperial palace was being constructed, who knew there’d be something underground? No one would dig fifty meters into the ground.”

The old man led Chen Nan along the ancient tunnel towards the relatively bright end. The only thing inside the spacious tunnel was the ‘tata’ sounds of their footsteps. It caused the old tomb to appear especially hidden and desolate.

Following the winding, ancient tunnel, the two of them arrived at a bright hall. Although the great hall was underground and was guarded from the corrosion from the rain, snow, wind, and frost, it was still engraved with the vestiges of years past. The historical site was full of stains and markings. The four walls of the hall were all exquisitely sculpted with many legendary gods, demons, devils, and monsters… Pearls were embedded among the sculptures, causing the entire hall to be as bright as daytime. The vivid, lifelike sculptures were illuminated by the pearls. It seemed like they possessed spirits, as if they desired to break out from the wall.

A white jade platform was situated at the center of the ancient hall. The jade platform was penetratingly luminous, emitting a gentle brilliance. A single glance was enough to know that it was top quality jade. What captivated Chen Nan’s interest wasn’t the white jade platform, but rather, it was the person on top of the jade stage. A tall, stalwart, middle-aged man stood at the center of the jade platform.

The middle-aged man’s head was covered in long, pitch-black hair that drifted to his shoulders. His face was bronze in colour. His long eyebrows reached his temples. His nose was straight, mouth square. His pair of eyes, a resonating black, intimidated one’s very soul. It was a terrifying gaze. However, what made one’s heart tremble the most was the middle-aged man’s imposing manner. He was peerlessly towering. A look of heroism—of disdain for the world—came forth from the corner of his eyes. It made the middle-aged man appear to look down on all living things, as if gods and devils were mere ordinary life forms.

Chen Nan’s eyes were so impassioned, tears almost escaped down his face. The middle-aged man’s appearance was very much similar to that of his father. Their eyes had the same wise, penetrating, imposing expression, as if they were tyrants over the land under heaven. That unrivalled appearance containing that egotistical, self-centered arrogance deeply overwhelmed him.

The old man said, “We’re finally here. That trace, peculiar undulation is radiating from the man in front of us who has already perished. This senior truly must have been a supreme talent!”

Upon hearing the two words ‘already perished’, Chen Nan mind jolted. He simply didn’t believe his own two ears. He once again attentively examined the man before him before finally discovering a hint of brilliance among his long hair. To his surprise, it was the hilt of a sword. The two words ‘flying sword’ flashed through his mind. The peerless, domineering, middle-aged man had been pierced through the head by a flying sword and died.

“Damn, this unmatched expert actually died under a flying sword?” Chen Nan wasn’t totally convinced. The imposing manner of the middle-aged man in front of him was not at all weaker than that of his father, Chen Zhan. He was certain that he had long ago eclipsed the fifth rank. That year, after Chen Zhan arrived at the peak of the martial way, even those Daoists practicing the Dao Mahayana could barely withstand his blows. He previously heard his mother once say, “With martial arts with that extent of cultivation, this mortal world no longer possesses any blades or weapons capable of causing injury. It’ll be hard to come across a worthy opponent.”

He walked around the jade platform. Behind the jade platform, he found some bone meal. In another nearby place, he found a pile of broken fragments of bone, each about one cun long. He didn’t need to think twice to know that these two people had died under the unrivalled power of that middle-aged man on the stage.

The old man said, “That book I have was found here. From the calligraphy in the book, I determined that this all dates back six or seven thousand years. This senior’s body is basically immortal. It remains upright and standing, never falling over. It’s simply too hard to believe.”

Emotion welled in Chen Nan’s heart as he sighed, “This senior’s power must have surged to the skies for his corporeal body to be able to successfully condense into an inextinguishable body. The strong will always be strong. Even after death, their imposingness will still be as compelling as before.”

The old man said, “Go up and take a look. There’s some handwriting at his feet.”

“Oh?” Chen Nan’s mind shook. Together with the old man, he leapt on top of the jade platform.

On the sparkling jade platform surface were a few lines of writing inscribed with strength, as if it were etched with intense enthusiasm. The strokes were vigorous and forceful, yet there was also some lingering sorrowful air present, causing one’s heart to boundlessly sigh.

A demon becomes immortal,
    Heaven cannot tolerate this.
    Behead the demon and vanquish evil,
    Admonish the world.
    I lament,
    The demon has a younger brother,
    Their encounter was by sheer luck.
    With gravely injured bodies,
    They resisted one another,
    Without the power to reverse heaven,
    They perish along with the enemy.
    With a body courageous,
    The demon dies in a cave,
    With my body shamed,
    I seal myself here!

“So it’s like this, ai!” Chen Nan let out an emotional sigh. “Although the demon had only just reached the realm of immortals, he was still an immortal after all. This senior’s heroism soars to the clouds. He actually eliminated an immortal. How admirable, admirable!”

The old man was also moved. “Yes, if he had been left by himself, perhaps this world would have another formidable martial immortal.”

Chen Nan sighed, “While living, one is unrivalled and performs miracles, able to carry heaven and support the earth. After death, his figure is immortal and continues to stand erect. Boundlessly domineering, frozen in persistence, he is a peerless hero who looks down at the world with disdain.”

After that, he suddenly began to laugh: “Haha~! I’m currently brimming with confidence in the martial way. Immortals can be formidable, but can’t a martial artist at the very peak still eliminate them? Just imagine if a martial artist were to reach the realm of immortals, heihei…”

The old man said, “I’ll bring you to the place of the demon practitioner to have a look.”

Chen Nan followed the old man through the ancient hall. They went along the tunnel until they arrived at an ancient cave that seemed like the purgatory of the human world. Serene, thick light suffused from the pearls. The ground was an expanse of white. Looking carefully, he unexpectedly saw innumerable dried bones, some of which were already completely smashed. There was a draft that lightly blew by. Waves of dust were swept up by it. A muggy air diffused throughout the ancient tunnel. In the middle of the endless withered bones, there was a dried up puddle of blood. The presence of a demon clung to the four edges of the sanguine pond. A thick, cold air dispersed from it, as if a ghost was floating in the puddle.

This was an eerie and terrible tunnel. Within the extreme silence, there seemed to be hissing and howling, as if myriad living souls were present. This was frightening enough to make one’s scalp numb and chill one’s heart from inside out.

Chen Nan looked around. His heart was startled and his courage struggled to battle on. “This is the location of the demon practitioner? This place is truly devoid of all emotion. In order for this place to be private enough, he actually massacred countless living creatures. For someone to ascend to immortality like this, heaven really cannot tolerate it!”

With that said, he couldn’t help but look towards the old man. If he hadn’t guessed incorrectly, the so-called evil book that was currently in the old man’s possession had to be this demon practitioner’s demonic cultivation technique. His body involuntarily turned cold. The man standing in front of him could perhaps be the second demonic Daoist.

The old man laughed. The wrinkles on his face shuddered. “Youngster, don’t be afraid. I’m a man who practices martial arts, how could I still proceed to cultivate Dao, let alone a very nefarious, very bloody, cultivation technique? For someone that practices martial arts to change to cultivating Dao, even if it didn’t go against the laws of the world, it’d still be incredibly hard to achieve; the two sides are inherently distinct. I only wish to borrow some unique opinions from that demonic book. For the sake of obtaining fresh blood, I merely go to the imperial kitchen every day to butcher some livestock.”

The chill on Chen Nan’s body warmed a degree. Soon, the two of them departed from the sinister, frightening ancient tunnel.

After arriving back in the ancient hall, Chen Nan went to the jade platform. Intently starting at that peerlessly strong practitioner, he said to the old man, “When I was in the ancient book room, I previously only sensed this peculiar undulation twice throughout all my time there. Why couldn’t I sense it all the time?”

The old man said, “The two times you sensed it were by chance at the exact time of a night with a full moon. It is only then does the undulation become strong enough. I assume that it has something to do with the layout of this place. This place probably holds some ancient formations that accumulate original vital qi from the world.”

“This place has ancient formations?”

“That’s right. It can be assumed that it was arranged by that demonic Daoist during his time long ago. If one were to cultivate here, it’d definitely be half the work for twice the effect. However, the risk is inevitably amplified. If one’s cultivation has been too smooth—if one hasn’t experienced appropriate hardships that would sharpen their mind—they will definitely develop the heart of a demon. It’s very easy to accidentally become a devil.”

Chen Nan nodded in agreement. “What is called having a way must have a loss. This world is in equilibrium. This is knowledge everyone must possess: the understanding of when something must be renounced. That time, the demon Daoist was too avaricious and vicious. After arranging a great formation to gather original vital qi from the world, he still massacred how many more living beings? If he hadn’t done so, perhaps he may not have attracted murderous misfortune towards himself.”

The old man said, “Talking is one matter, doing is a different matter. Many lousy characteristics can take root in the depths of one’s soul. In the face of tremendous allure, it is very hard to have self-control. For example, you can currently be said to be a peerless expert with unrivalled power, but is your heart not tempted?”

Chen Nan laughed. “I’m tempted, of course I’m tempted. But I don’t have this kind of opportunity.”

The old man said, “What if you really did have such an opportunity?”

“Although I’d be tempted, I’d still give it up in the end.”

The old man’s eyes unblinkingly gazed at Chen Nan. “For what reason?”

Chen Nan replied, “Obtaining power externally has always been inferior to the pure strength obtained from personal cultivation. I’m afraid it would restrain my power’s development.”

The old man sighed. “Youngster, you are very responsible. Although you are responsible enough, I’m not. At the time when death threatens my life, if there was such formidable power offered to me like this, I’d absolutely not renounce it.”

Chen Nan laughed, but didn’t say anything.

The old man said, “Youngster, are you willing to lend me a helping hand? Can you help me break free from the shadow of death?”

A puzzled look appeared on Chen Nan’s face.

The wrinkles that littered the old man’s face shuddered. “Youngster, are you aware? The first time you entered the ancient book room, I could sense the spiritual qi within your body. I carefully observed you and discovered your body’s innate spiritual root. If I were able to get help from someone with an innate spiritual root, there may be a chance I’d be able to obtain tremendous power and thereby no longer have the need to cultivate the demonic book. I’d also be able to continue living for a few more decades.”

The old man pointed at the domineering, revered, peerless expert atop the jade platform. “Do you know why there’s a trace, peculiar undulation surging forth from his body? It’s because there is tremendous power trapped within his body. It’s his unrivalled cultivation. If I were able to extract it…”

When Chen Nan heard the old man’s words reach this point, his heart chilled. Chen Nan was baffled. The old man never needed to bring him here to repay his kindness. It turns out that everything had been premeditated by the old man all along.

“Senior, you must be dreaming. It’s already been a millennium; that peerless expert’s heroic spirit has already faded away. How can there still be formidable power stored within his body? I think this effect occurs because his immortal body and the original vital qi from the world have resonated together.”

The old man said, “That possibility hasn’t been ruled out, but what I guessed may also be a possibility. If we don’t try, how will we know? Youngster, are you willing to help me?”

Chen Nan asked, “My cultivation is not up to par with yours, so how can I help you?”

The old man explained, “The cultivation does not matter, it is your body’s spiritual root that permits you to easily attract the original vital qi of the world. If the two of us cooperate, we can surely extract the power from within the peerless expert’s body.”

Chen Nan’s heart was very unwilling to help this deeply scheming old man. He was even more unwilling to vandalize that peerless expert, but considering his current unfortunate situation, he had no choice but to comply with the old man’s request.

The old man was jubilant. “Your spiritual root is natural and innate. My spiritual root is acquired via cultivation; it cannot possibly compare with yours. In a moment, place your two palms on his back. Carefully sense the power within his body, and then lead it out. I’ll be nearby assisting you.”

After climbing onto the jade platform, Chen Nan inwardly said, “Please excuse me.” He pressed his two hands against the back of that senior’s inextinguishable body. He carefully sensed that trace, peculiar undulation.

The old man also reached out and pressed his hands against the back of the inextinguishable body and closed his eyes, carefully feeling it.

A complicated, indescribable feeling seemed to be drawn from ancient times up to the present and transmitted itself into Chen Nan’s heart. In a flash, it made him seemingly experience thousands of years of life. His felt a devastating sense of loss. He fearfully jumped back. If it wasn’t for the inextinguishable body’s ice-cold touch, he truly would have believed that the peerless expert had resurrected. He knew that that complicated feeling was the peerless expert’s feelings at the point of his death. It was a sense of loss, a sense of helplessness…

Chen Nan quickly calmed his heart. Pushing aside all of his distracting thoughts, he carefully sensed the peculiar undulation in the inextinguishable body. Suddenly, the peculiar undulation seemed to resonate with his being. A boundless power began surging forth from the inextinguishable body. Chen Nan was astounded. The body left behind by the peerless expert unexpectedly truly stored a tremendous power within. He was absolutely shocked. This exceeded his imagination. The man had been dead for thousands of years already, yet such an unrivalled power still surprisingly remained in his body.

Chen Nan took a furtive glance and saw that although the old man had his hands pressed up against the back of inextinguishable body, he didn’t seem to feel anything. He secretly came to a realization in his mind: he couldn’t possibly lead the tremendous power out and pour it into the old man’s body. He felt the old man’s scheming was too deep. He had not been transparent with his actions at all the whole time. If he were permitted to absorb this exceptionally formidable power, who knows what kind of dreadful consequences would arise.

After a while, Chen Nan released his hands. He let out a long sigh. “Excluding that trace, peculiar undulation, I can’t feel any power flowing whatsoever within this senior’s inextinguishable body.”

Hearing him say that, the old man also released his hands, a look of disappointment too hard to conceal was evident on his face.

After leaving the ancient hall, in the spacious ancient tunnel, Chen Nan was incredibly nervous. He feared this deeply scheming old man would kill him right then and there to silence him. When they exited the tunnel entrance at the ancient book storeroom, he finally let out a long breath of air.

The old man pushed the bookshelf back into his original position. He gave a laugh towards Chen Nan. “Heihei… Youngster, don’t be afraid, I won’t be a danger to you. You are a brave hero of the younger generation of my Chu. How could I destroy an eventual exceptional expert of the Empire of Chu?”

The old man patted his shoulders. “Diligently work hard. My old self can rely on that demonic book to live another twenty, thirty years. In this period of time, I can give you a few tips and directions.”

Chen Nan, stupefied, nodded his head. It was only when he arrived back at the Residence of Eccentrics did he become aware of the icy, cold sweat that permeated his body from fear.
    Last edited by Zoeng Saiwaa; 08-05-15 at 02:49 AM.

Thanks zoeng. I must say this. Your translations is really good and the story flow so smoothly. Also don't see any grammer or typo errors. Jiayou.

Thanks, Zoeng.

Thanks. Love the mysteries.

“Anything is possible. The emperor wouldn’t dare say anything even if I were to brazenly dig out a cavern under his throne, because I’m his daddy.”
    Also known as Suggardady of Oz

I have read up to volume 1 chapter 8, and I was wondering...
    click to show/hide spoilers
    Will Chen Nan will stay that demon princess's slave for much of the series, or will finally be free of her at some point?

I really hope the latter! I am liking the premise of this series so far, but that princess is driving me nuts!

Thanks for the translation Zoeng!