Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Miscellaneous old ATV/TVB series

Anyone seen Hong Kong Special cases? I believe its an ATV series...

Quote Originally Posted by Nan Ling View Post
    Anyone seen Hong Kong Special cases? I believe its an ATV series...
    There are a few series like that. Which one are you referring to? I saw the one with Gilbert Lam handling the Telford Garden Mass Poisoning Case, Hugo Ng and Kenneth Chan in the Rainy Night Killer, Ricky Chan and Gabriel Hoi in the King of Thieves, Ruco Chan in some Korean protest bombing in HK, etc. Then there was another series with Hugo Ng as Macau BBQ Bun Killings, but I can't seem to remember the other cases. I also know of the one where it talks about Hk corruption back in the 70's, but I have not got around to watching it yet.

Seriously, I quite enjoy those productions with straightforward and not too much romance. Nowadays, all the cop shows are just front for some draggy love triangle and not much detective works. Will need to find DIF 1-3 again.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

ah yes that is the one... I'm on Ruco Chan's case right now... I just saw the case with Kylie Kwok where she murders her husband and abandons one of her children. It was quite interesting as I didn't think she was the culprit at all... It was quite scary when the guy said having wings doesn't only mean angel but can also mean devil... it kind of gave me the chills.....

I am watching the Legend of Dik Ching 1986 now (Michael Miu, Kitty Lai, Shallin Tse), I like it so far. The synopsis till Ep 10 is here:

http://riverandlakerealm.blogspot.co...-eps-1-10.html

I am rewatching Dark Tales. Miss those good days with short, fun but non-draggy unit stories even if the CGI was bad. Miss the days when Benny Chan actually acted instead of overacted.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

Quote Originally Posted by charbydis View Post
    I am rewatching Dark Tales. Miss those good days with short, fun but non-draggy unit stories even if the CGI was bad. Miss the days when Benny Chan actually acted instead of overacted.
    I was rewatching Dark Tales II too. What is your favorite stories in this?
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung View Post
    I was rewatching Dark Tales II too. What is your favorite stories in this?
    I like the one with the Ghost Mum. Derek Kok is !
    Cyril Connolly

Quote Originally Posted by charbydis View Post
    I like the one with the Ghost Mum. Derek Kok is !
    I like the story with Derek Kwok and Louisa So too except for when Benny Chan came in to the picture. Derek was also in the other story with Jacky Lui and Angie Cheung, but too bad, he's just a sidekick there.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung View Post
    I like the story with Derek Kwok and Louisa So too except for when Benny Chan came in to the picture. Derek was also in the other story with Jacky Lui and Angie Cheung, but too bad, he's just a sidekick there.
    I was actually OK with Benny, but it was Joyce Chan who ruined the story for it. Her acting was really ill-suited for an ancient talented lady. Would have been much happier if May Kwong took on her "flower vase" role.

Derek was actually also in the story with Noel and Jackie, where he played the rich playboy that was infatuated with Elvina.

Seriously, I don't know if the producers hated Jackie or something since both his roles were jerks, especially the one with Noel. Gosh. That bird fairy story gets me angry each time I watch it since he is such a wish-washy man. First you think he is in love with Noel since he is willing to die for her in fairyland, and he gets beaten up to get corn for her. But then he won;t stop staring at Elvina, then then starts making his wife dress up like Elvina. And then finally he decides he doesn't want his wife anymore no matter what she does and matter how badly Elvina treats him. Then when Noel leaves him, he starts roaming the lands to find her again.

I find Dark Tales II quite depressing to watch at times since most of the stories centers around mortal men marrying/falling in love with fairies/spirits and then mistrusting them (Jackie with Noel (bird fairy), Jackie with Angie (fox spirit), Patrick with Noel (flower fairy), Benny with Rain (fox spirit)). As I get older, I actually appreciate the stories with happier outcomes like the Ghost mom one or even the funny one with the Bat Spirit and time travel. The one with Evergreen and Rain is actually quiet touching as well.

Despite all that, Dark Tales II is actually quite a gem and better than Dark Tales I which can be draggy.
    Cyril Connolly

My favorite story would also be Louisa so and Derek Kok. Very sad... I thought Joyce Chan was okay here, perhaps one of her better roles. I thought her character in secret of the heart was very annoying.

I didn't enjoy noel's story with Jackie. It was just too sad. But I guess it teaches us to appreciate what we have. They really did make Jackie a total jerk here. In the beginning, I thought Elvina liked him but it seem like she didn't since near the end she was treating him so badly. I do recall she was mad that he ignore her in the beginning which was something she was not used to. Now looking back, this is a very good series with lots of morals.

Quote Originally Posted by Icha Parvati View Post
    I am watching the Legend of Dik Ching 1986 now (Michael Miu, Kitty Lai, Shallin Tse), I like it so far. The synopsis till Ep 10 is here:

http://riverandlakerealm.blogspot.co...-eps-1-10.html
    This is one series I want to see but haven't gotten around to watching it yet. Thanks for the link =)

I've watched "United We Stand" 1984, starring Michael Miu, Barbara Yung and Michael Tao. It was a funny series. I've uploaded the summary of the first half of the series here:

http://riverandlakerealm.blogspot.co...mmary-1-7.html

again, since my Cantonese is very rudimentary, elementary, I only wrote what I understood from the series. Input on the general flow of the series (or even details) is welcome. I will acknowledge you...

I've watched "United We Stand" 1984, starring Michael Miu, Barbara Yung and Michael Tao. It was a funny series. I've uploaded the summary of the first half of the series here:

http://riverandlakerealm.blogspot.co...mmary-1-7.html

again, since my Cantonese is very rudimentary, elementary, I only wrote what I understood from the series. Input on the general flow of the series (or even details) is welcome. I will acknowledge you...
    I thought this was a pretty good series. I enjoyed Barbara playing twins in this series. At the time it was one of the few series Michael Tao was not a villian. I remember he always played a villain and a very good one too. It was also different to see Chan on Ying take on a different role instead of roles like in legend of the condor hero or hsds.

Icha Parvati, which twin did you prefer in this series?

I think Barbara was amazing as the twins here. I really saw her as two different characters. When she was A Ying (the ponytailed girl), she was really that loud-mouth, temperamental girl, but actually kind. When she was Doh-wan (the rich girl), she was shy and reserved, but also kind.

I prefer A Ying, but perhaps because I view it with a modern lens. These days, some of us (including me) tend to look down on kind-hearted characters like Barbara's Ho Doh-wan (her screen name is also Barbara) and prefer some loud-mouth and hot-headed characters like A Ying, because she's cool. I mean, she's cool alright, but there's some strength to be had from a relatively introvert person like Doh-wan as well.

When Doh-wan chose to protect Fei in front of her father, that showed her strength of character, I think. It's not easy for someone who is used to living in luxury to leave all behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Nan Ling View Post
    It was also different to see Chan on Ying take on a different role instead of roles like in legend of the condor hero or hsds.
    Who is "Chan on Ying"? Do you mean the main matriarch in this series? I like the main matriarch (Mrs Lam, the real mother of the twins). She was my favourite heroine here in addition to A Ying.

I also like the girl who played as the idiot girl in LOCH 1983. She played as Mary, Barbara's cousin here. She was really fun to watch. I also love Michael Tao here. I've seen three of his series so far (HSDS, Dik Ching and UWS), and UWS is my favourite series for him.

Who is "Chan on Ying"? Do you mean the main matriarch in this series? I like the main matriarch (Mrs Lam, the real mother of the twins). She was my favourite heroine here in addition to A Ying.

I also like the girl who played as the idiot girl in LOCH 1983. She played as Mary, Barbara's cousin here. She was really fun to watch. I also love Michael Tao here. I've seen three of his series so far (HSDS, Dik Ching and UWS), and UWS is my favourite series for him.
    Chan On Ying is the girl you're referring to, the one who played Sha Gu.

Ah, thank you. Was she the Purple Dragon in HSDS 86? I can't remember...

Nope - Purple Dragon was played by Wu Mei Yee, who also played Yelu Yan in ROCH 83. Chan Onn Ying played Zhu Er in HSDS 86.

Oooh yes, now i remember. Thanks!

Eps 7-9 summaries of United We Stand is here now:

http://riverandlakerealm.blogspot.co...sodes-7-9.html

Enjoy!

Thanks for the summaries. It's been so long since I've watched this. =) I also prefer a ying. I like Michael and Barbara best in fearless duo.

Ahh I really do not remember wu mei yee in hsds. I remember her most in black sabre. To this day, I do not forget the scene where she ruins her face. It was just very scary and tragic.