Thread: At least 27 dead, several injured in bomb blast outside Hindu temple in Bangkok

Default At least 27 dead, several injured in bomb blast outside Hindu temple in Bangkok

At least 27 dead, several injured in bomb blast outside Hindu temple in Thai capital Bangkok

Bangkok: A bomb on a motorcycle exploded on Monday just outside a Hindu shrine in the Thai capital, killing 27 people, including foreign tourists, media reported, in an attack the government said was a bid to destroy the economy.
    There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the blast at the Erawan shrine at a major city-centre intersection. Thai forces are fighting a low-level Muslim insurgency in the predominantly Buddhist country's south, but those rebels have rarely launched attacks outside their ethnic Malay heartland.
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img01.ibnlive.in/ibnlive/uploads/666x444/jpg/2015/08/blast_bangkok.jpg')
    According to officials the bomb went off outside the Erawan Shrine in the downtown Chidlom district of the Thai capital
    "The perpetrators intended to destroy the economy and tourism, because the incident occurred in the heart of the tourism district," Defense Minister Prawit Wongsuwan said.
    The Erawan shrine, on a busy corner near top hotels, shopping centres, offices and a hospital, is a major attraction, especially for visitors from East Asia, including China. Many ordinary Thais also worship there.
    The government would set up a "war room" to coordinate the response to the blast, the Nation television channel quoted Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha as saying.
    Two people from China and one from the Philippines were among the dead, a tourist police officer said. Domestic media said 27 people had been killed, 10 of them men and 17 women.
    Police said 78 people were wounded. Media said most of them were from China and Taiwan.
    "It was like a meat market," said Marko Cunningham, a New Zealand paramedic working with a Bangkok ambulance service, who said the blast had left a two-metre-wide (6-foot-) crater.
    "There were bodies everywhere. Some were shredded. There were legs where heads were supposed to be. It was horrific," Cunningham said, adding that people several hundred metres away had been injured.
    Political tension
    At the scene, authorities ordered onlookers back, saying they were checking for a second bomb.
    "We are now looking for another two to three bombs, as we have found one suspicious object," national police chief Prawut Thawornsiri said.
    "There could be another explosion, so we have blocked off the crime scene and are asking bystanders to move back."
    Authorities stepped up security checks at some major city intersections and in tourist areas.
    While initial suspicion might fall on Muslim separatists in the south, Thailand has been riven for a decade by an intense and sometimes violent struggle for power between political factions in Bangkok.
    Occasional small blasts have been blamed on one side or the other. Two pipe bombs exploded outside a luxury shopping mall in the same area in February, but caused little damage.
    Police said that attack was aimed at raising tension when the city was under martial law.
    The army has ruled Thailand since May 2014, when it ousted an elected government after months of at times violent anti-government protests.
    The shrine intersection was the site of months of anti-government protests in 2010 by supporters of ousted former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra. Dozens were killed in a military crackdown and a shopping centre was set ablaze.

http://www.ibnlive.com/news/world/tw...k-1046786.html

Related
    http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/e...d-bangkok-bomb

http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/m...kok-bomb-blast

very sad and it happen right outside the temple. Feel bad for the families... =(

Almost every year my family and I will make a trip to Bangkok and that shrine.

Very very sad for the innocent victims.

Quote Originally Posted by wkeej View Post
    Almost every year my family and I will make a trip to Bangkok and that shrine.
    Are you dare to go back? If I were you, I would never go back.
    Last edited by Trien Chieu; 08-18-15 at 03:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    Are you dare to go back? If I were you, I would never go back.
    Possibly I will. Indeed it will be even safer now with all the army and police patrols.

Quote Originally Posted by wkeej View Post
    Possibly I will. Indeed it will be even safer now with all the army and police patrols.
    Good luck to you.
    Personally, I never want to visit Thailand. I don't like the fact that prostitution is everywhere including child prostitution. I also don't like about lady boys. I also don't like spicy food . Regarding Thailand, what I like the most about them is their delicious tropical fruits that I can buy here in Canada.

Good luck to you.
    Personally, I never want to visit Thailand. I don't like the fact that prostitution is everywhere including child prostitution. I also don't like about lady boys. I also don't like spicy food . Regarding Thailand, what I like the most about them is their delicious tropical fruits that I can buy here in Canada.
    What I like about Bangkok:
    1. Not very far from my country Singapore
    2. Cheaper food compared to Singapore. There are many non spicy food, e.g. Japanese
    3. Cheaper clothing compared to Singapore. Every time I go to Bangkok, I buy about 10 T-shirts. Cost about Sing $80-$100.
    4. People used to be friendly though it is lesser now.

Good luck to you.
    I don't think you will know until you have gone and visit Thailand. I remember my friend was really scared about going, she heard stories of people getting rob but she ended up liking it and said it wasn't as bad as people made it sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Nan Ling View Post
    I don't think you will know until you have gone and visit Thailand. I remember my friend was really scared about going, she heard stories of people getting rob but she ended up liking it and said it wasn't as bad as people made it sound.
    Given all the bad deeds going on, I prefer to stay in Canada and travel to the US only. Regarding Thailand, I like their tropical fruits and jasmine rice, something I can get here.

To make thing worse, the Thai authority just arrested a photojournalist from HongKong for having body armor. The photojournalist is in jail now. He could face up to 5 years in prison.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-34038395
    https://www.google.ca/#q=Anthony+Kwan+Hok-chun&tbm=nws

poor guy, it be sad if he really didn't know the law over there as it was not intentional.

poor guy, it be sad if he really didn't know the law over there as it was not intentional.
    He said he didn't know the law. It's standard protection for journalists to wear body armor and helmet when they do their work in potential dangerous places. Even in Thailand where body armor and helmet are illegal, journalists wear them when they cover dangerous events like violent protests without getting charge. If he is indeed got charge and send to jail, there would be big impact on the image of Thailand. Tourists from HongKong, China and else where might boycott Thailand over this incidence.

Your right, I think Chinese tourist would boycott Thailand but then its Thailand's law, so very tuff decision.

Your right, I think Chinese tourist would boycott Thailand but then its Thailand's law, so very tuff decision.
    Yeah, Thailand needs to change the law. Journalists are allowed to wear armor and helmet all over the world, except Thailand. It's standard protection. Another bad news, two Chinese women just got raped in Thailand. Wow, Thailand is such a dangerous place.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/gene...-chinese-women