Thread: Sister Gan Nineteen 《新甘十九妹》 - Zhang Dinghan, Cui Peng, Ren Han, Qin Xue

Default Sister Gan Nineteen 《新甘十九妹》 - Zhang Dinghan, Cui Peng, Ren Han, Qin Xue

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i.imgur.com/mUidj7d.jpg?1')

Seems like this one snuck under everyone's radar, maybe because the cast isn't famous. This is an adaptation of the Xiao Yi (萧逸) novel Sister Gan Nineteen 《甘十九妹》. It aired earlier this year. In fact, you can watch all 34 episodes on youtube here. I haven't started watching it yet, but the novel it's based on is supposedly really good, based on what I've read about it. It was made into a TV show in 1996 as well.

Has anyone watched this?

Can you post the synopsis?

Quote Originally Posted by whiteskwirl View Post

Seems like this one snuck under everyone's radar, maybe because the cast isn't famous. This is an adaptation of the Xiao Yi (萧逸) novel Sister Gan Nineteen 《甘十九妹》. It aired earlier this year. In fact, you can watch all 34 episodes on youtube here. I haven't started watching it yet, but the novel it's based on is supposedly really good, based on what I've read about it. It was made into a TV show in 1996 as well.

Has anyone watched this?

Hi there!

I, firstly, watched the trailer of this series many months (a year?) ago. It seemed interesting, so when I found the series later, I watched them even without subs. Well I just watched the fighting scenes and the scenes of the main leads. From guessing and reading the synopsis , I felt that this drama was kinda interesting. It was like an old series that we used to watch when we were kids, with simple yet good special effect (the fighting scenes, I mean). Couldn't say much about it, though .. since I couldn't find one with subs and I haven't watch the old version .

@lenje, Hi! Sorry, I've read about this somewhere, but couldn't understand it well since it was in chinese (translated to eng by google translate). The story should be like this :
    click to show/hide spoilers

Seems like there was a very strong female fighter who became an enemy of some heroes. Years later, she had a female student who is very very skillful as well. The girl then challenges and defeats many heroes, until she meets a young man from the 'enemies' party. Easy to guess : they both fall in love, despite being in the opposite sides.

That's all what I can understand, dunno whether it's correct or not. I hope someone can explain it too :P ..

Hi luna! Great to see you again! Thanks for the summary, it helps a lot!

I checked the first episode (from the link given above) and was taken aback by the bad quality of the video. Too bad, since I think the story is quite interesting (aside from the overdone love plot LOL). Do you know where to watch it, but with better resolution?

Thanks whiteskwirl for the link!

While the quality isn't very good, it's okay on my phone.

Overall, the story is interesting, but some parts are very annoying. For example, a lot of problems could be solved if the heroes would just explain what is going on, instead of saying, "I'll tell you everything later."

So in a way, all the "bad" people are smart but the heroes are all a bit dumb.

Also, I'm annoyed by how easy it is to eavesdrop in this series. You would think these heroes would check to see if they are really alone or if they are so skilled in martial arts, be able to sense/hear someone who's so close!

Not sure if this is from the novel or the script.

Last thing is that I don't know why this series is called Sister Gan Nineteen 《新甘十九妹》 because this entire series is told from the viewpoint of the main male character.

Quote Originally Posted by luna_lucid View Post
    [CENTER]
    The story should be like this :

Seems like there was a very strong female fighter who became an enemy of some heroes. Years later, she had a female student who is very very skillful as well. The girl then challenges and defeats many heroes, until she meets a young man from the 'enemies' party. Easy to guess : they both fall in love, despite being in the opposite sides.
    That's a good summary, and I would add these things:

1. The strong female fighter is lovers with one of the heroes. But all his clan brother oppose because she's the disciple of someone who's suppose to be bad.

2. The misunderstanding is called by one of the heroes, who is actually bad.

3. Sister Gan Nineteen is actually the daughter of one of the heroes. She was kidnapped as a kid and brainwashed to fight the heroes later.

Don't worry, it's not really a spoiler, as this is revealed in the first few episodes.

Quote Originally Posted by lenje View Post
    Hi luna! Great to see you again! Thanks for the summary, it helps a lot!

I checked the first episode (from the link given above) and was taken aback by the bad quality of the video. Too bad, since I think the story is quite interesting (aside from the overdone love plot LOL). Do you know where to watch it, but with better resolution?
    Hi there! Great to see you too
    Well, I watched them on youtube, and the quality is .. yeah, not that good. I couldn't find them anywhere else. So, there's overdone love plot ? I just know that .. since I didn't understand almost everything that they were saying *LOL* . I just like the main leads .

Quote Originally Posted by j2j2j2 View Post

That's a good summary, and I would add these things:

1. The strong female fighter is lovers with one of the heroes. But all his clan brother oppose because she's the disciple of someone who's suppose to be bad.

2. The misunderstanding is called by one of the heroes, who is actually bad.

3. Sister Gan Nineteen is actually the daughter of one of the heroes. She was kidnapped as a kid and brainwashed to fight the heroes later.

Don't worry, it's not really a spoiler, as this is revealed in the first few episodes.
    Hi, @j2j2j2!

Thanks for the explanation. Here is another spoiler .. well, sort of .. :

Isn't the lover of that strong female fighter (the teacher) the bad one ? And isn't he somekind of related to the main male(Sister Gan's lover)? Like an uncle or something.

I dunno how Sister Gan was brainwashed. And, why must she be the one who was kidnapped ? Why did her teacher order her to defeat all of the heroes ? The teacher is even stronger than her, so she could defeat everyone easily.

Anyway, this is the first wuxia that I've watched whose main male is always defeated by the main female . She is indeed really strong
    Last edited by luna_lucid; 09-23-15 at 10:34 AM.

Last thing is that I don't know why this series is called Sister Gan Nineteen 《新甘十九妹》 because this entire series is told from the viewpoint of the main male character.

It's the same name as the title of the original novel, only they added "new" of course to this series, I guess since there is already a series from 1996. I haven't read the book yet so I don't know if it is also from the man's point of view. Actually I was looking up info on the novel, that's how I learned of this series. I did buy a copy of this novel, though. It's four volumes. Here's the cover:

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i.imgur.com/l3Sff79.jpg?1')

You can read a synopsis of the novel here: http://edu.ocac.gov.tw/culture/chine.../e/3-9-8-1.htm, but BE WARNED, there are spoilers, it gives away the ending. So if you don't want spoilers, might want to finish watching the series first.

You can also watch the 1996 series in its entirety here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...yYegqHszkiltac

Hi, @j2j2j2!

Thanks for the explanation. Here is another spoiler .. well, sort of .. :

Isn't the lover of that strong female fighter (the teacher) the bad one ? And isn't he somekind of related to the main male(Sister Gan's lover)? Like an uncle or something.

I dunno how Sister Gan was brainwashed. And, why must she be the one who was kidnapped ? Why did her teacher order her to defeat all of the heroes ? The teacher is even stronger than her, so she could defeat everyone easily.

Anyway, this is the first wuxia that I've watched whose main male is always defeated by the main female . She is indeed really strong

I'm only on episode 20 so not if there's more to the story yet, but I'll try to explain what I got so far.

First, the Teacher's lover isn't the bad guy. It's the 5th brother with the beard, he's the bad guy. And yes, the main guy is the son of the 3rd Brother, while the Teacher's love is the 7th Brother.

What happened is that the the 5th Brother wanted to steal this book that the Teacher came across, so he got a bunch of people to attack the Hero's temple and killed a bunch of disciples.

The Teacher told her lover that they had a traitor, but the 5th Brother basically started killing his other brothers and framing the Teacher.

Her Lover was wavering back and forth, not sure if he believed her or not, but in the end, he did and he said he would try to convince his other brothers she was innocent and they needed to seek the truth.

However, the 5th Brother got a guy who is a master at disguise to pretend to the be Lover and leave a note to tell her to wait at a specific area for him.

When she got there, they tricked her with a trap door and she dropped into that pit and was set on fire.

At the time, her lover was drugged by his brothers, but because of this special jade that can cure poisons that she gave him, he quickly woke up and was just able to safe her.

However, because of the disguised guy, she thought it was him that tricked her there and swore vengeance on all of them.

So it's a bit tragic since her lover died without even really knowing the truth.

As for Sister Gan, she was the little girl that the Teacher saved at the beginning. She is the daughter of the 4th Brother.

I guess the Teacher thought it would be cruel justice, to have "one of their own" doing the killing. Like it would be even more vengeance.

Of course, I'm still not done with the series yet, so not sure if that's really the case.

Yeah, she always beats the main guy! Heck, she beats all the guys, heh Both in martial arts and also in brains. Very refreshing!

That's why I'm disappointed that the series is not told from her viewpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by whiteskwirl View Post
    You can also watch the 1996 series in its entirety here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...yYegqHszkiltac
    Wow, thanks. I'll check that out too after I'm done and see how it is.
    Last edited by j2j2j2; 09-23-15 at 01:25 PM.

[QUOTE=j2j2j2;1118254]

I'm only on episode 20 so not if there's more to the story yet, but I'll try to explain what I got so far.

First, the Teacher's lover isn't the bad guy. It's the 5th brother with the beard, he's the bad guy. And yes, the main guy is the son of the 3rd Brother, while the Teacher's love is the 7th Brother.

What happened is that the the 5th Brother wanted to steal this book that the Teacher came across, so he got a bunch of people to attack the Hero's temple and killed a bunch of disciples.

The Teacher told her lover that they had a traitor, but the 5th Brother basically started killing his other brothers and framing the Teacher.

Her Lover was wavering back and forth, not sure if he believed her or not, but in the end, he did and he said he would try to convince his other brothers she was innocent and they needed to seek the truth.

However, the 5th Brother got a guy who is a master at disguise to pretend to the be Lover and leave a note to tell her to wait at a specific area for him.

When she got there, they tricked her with a trap door and she dropped into that pit and was set on fire.

At the time, her lover was drugged by his brothers, but because of this special jade that can cure poisons that she gave him, he quickly woke up and was just able to safe her.

However, because of the disguised guy, she thought it was him that tricked her there and swore vengeance on all of them.

So it's a bit tragic since her lover died without even really knowing the truth.

As for Sister Gan, she was the little girl that the Teacher saved at the beginning. She is the daughter of the 4th Brother.

I guess the Teacher thought it would be cruel justice, to have "one of their own" doing the killing. Like it would be even more vengeance.

Of course, I'm still not done with the series yet, so not sure if that's really the case.

Yeah, she always beats the main guy! Heck, she beats all the guys, heh Both in martial arts and also in brains. Very refreshing!

That's why I'm disappointed that the series is not told from her viewpoint.

Ahhh, so that's how it is. Now that I got to understand more, I'm re-watching this . Well, still fast forwarding, though .. since I still don't understand what they are saying

Anyway, my favourite scenes were :

1. When the main male wanted to kill Sister Gan from behind. Sister Gan was playing a flute, and suddenly the main male remembered that she was playing a song of his childhood friend/lover (fiancee?) . He got shocked and stopped immediately.
    2. When the main male and Sister Gan just knew each other, the male quitely attacked her several times, while Sister Gan begun to suspect him as the attacker.But in the end, after they both found out each other's identity, both were already in love -> actually, I'm just guessing this story based on what I watched. Please CMIIW, since I wanna know whether I understand the story correctly or not.
    2. When the main male and Sister Gan fought each other in front of the heroes. Both were reluctant, since both were already in love and didn't want to hurt the other. When Sister Gan wanted to strike,the male let her won .. but then she also didn't want to win, so she also let him go . But in the end, he still let her win.

@whiteskwirl, thanks for the novel synopsis!
    Regarding the ending, sorry .. this is a spoiler since I've watched the ending. Do not read this if you don't want to know the ending of the series . Then again, if somebody has watched this until the end and understand it, please tell me . I really want to know how it really ends.

I thought the ending in the series was different than the novel. I don't think the main male kill the main female. But, because I don't understand what they were saying, there are several possibilites :
    1. It has an ambiguous ending and leave it to the audience's imagination.
    2. One of them / both of them died, but the series just doesn't show it. They just show them be together until the end. After that, dunno.

Ahhh, so that's how it is. Now that I got to understand more, I'm re-watching this . Well, still fast forwarding, though .. since I still don't understand what they are saying

Anyway, my favourite scenes were :

1. When the main male wanted to kill Sister Gan from behind. Sister Gan was playing a flute, and suddenly the main male remembered that she was playing a song of his childhood friend/lover (fiancee?) . He got shocked and stopped immediately.
    2. When the main male and Sister Gan just knew each other, the male quitely attacked her several times, while Sister Gan begun to suspect him as the attacker.But in the end, after they both found out each other's identity, both were already in love -> actually, I'm just guessing this story based on what I watched. Please CMIIW, since I wanna know whether I understand the story correctly or not.
    2. When the main male and Sister Gan fought each other in front of the heroes. Both were reluctant, since both were already in love and didn't want to hurt the other. When Sister Gan wanted to strike,the male let her won .. but then she also didn't want to win, so she also let him go . But in the end, he still let her win.
    Yeah! You got it!

One small thing to add...

is the main guy and Sister Gan were childhood friends betrothed. The music was written by the guy's mom, and Sister Gan was the only person he taught it too.

Also, not sure if you got it, but the annoying girl that liked the main guy was the little sister of Sister Gan. And the old "chef" guy was actually their dad.

Regarding the ending, sorry .. this is a spoiler since I've watched the ending. Do not read this if you don't want to know the ending of the series . Then again, if somebody has watched this until the end and understand it, please tell me . I really want to know how it really ends.

I thought the ending in the series was different than the novel. I don't think the main male kill the main female. But, because I don't understand what they were saying, there are several possibilites :
    1. It has an ambiguous ending and leave it to the audience's imagination.
    2. One of them / both of them died, but the series just doesn't show it. They just show them be together until the end. After that, dunno.
    Regarding the ending,

In this series, Sister Gan is poisoned by her Teacher. She did it right after the scene where she's eavesdropping on them in the jail cell. She basically hears Sister Gan betraying her, by telling the main guy that the kung fu he learned form the old lady was specifically made to beat her Teacher (of course the old lady told him that before too).

The ending is definitely ambiguous.

The lady at the end, says there is a possible cure, but requires this type of special herb. So the other loyal guy, along with his girlfriend, go in search of it.

We don't know what happens in the end.

One thing they don't seem to address, or maybe I missed it because I also fast forwarded is what happened to the poison of the main guy?

Overall the series is just mediocre. It started out very interesting, but started dragging in the middle, and the ending was very abrupt.

I'm going to catch the 1996 version when I get a chance and see if that's any better.

If someone reads the book, please let us know if it's similar.

One really funny thing, the actress that plays the Teacher was born in 1990!

http://baike.baidu.com/subview/1248460/6958317.htm

While the Sister Gan actress is 10 years OLDER

http://baike.baidu.com/view/1315058.htm

I guess the make up artists were pretty good!

Yeah! You got it!
    I read the last couple pages of the novel so I could answer about the ending. I haven't read anything else and have yet to start watching the series actually, so I don't know the context, but here's what happens at the end of the novel:

The main guy, Yin Jianping, has a final duel with Sister Gan, apparently after killing Sister Gan's teacher (didn't read before that so I don't know for sure, but must be given what happens next). Yin Jianping is wearing a mask during this duel so Sister Gan doesn't know it's him, because she is surprised when he takes off the mask after he mortally wounds her and wins the duel.

Sister Gan then tells Yin Jianping that the person who killed his father was her teacher (whom he apparently just killed before fighting Sister Gan). Yin Jianping is taken aback at first, but then mumbles to himself "In that case I can join you", meaning join Sister Gan in death. He then takes his sword and stabs himself in the belly, and falls to the ground.

Sister Gan yells out his name when she sees him turn his sword on himself and pulls herself away from the grip of the girl holding her (Silver Pearl or something like that). Her and Yin Jianping, both bloodied and dying, crawl toward each other and finally embrace each other.

The last sentence of the novel says that when they embraced, heaven and earth will never again have the strength to separate them. (兩個血人緩緩地接近著,終於緊緊地擁抱一團。當他們那樣緊緊抱在一起時,這個天底下不再有也沒有什麼力量 ,能夠把他們分開了。)

So the ending is definitely clear in the novel: they die in each other's arms.

^ Thanks so much, whiteskwirl!

So the ending in the TV series is...

completely different.

Wow, what a drastic change.

I will say that I like the TV version much better then

The trailer was quite engaging. I remember waiting what felt like ages for the broadcast.

Zhang Ding Han looked stunning in her role. (She's more famous for her lead as Ming Yue Xin in The Magic Blade/Tian Ya Ming Yue Dao). For a somewhat under developed romance, the two leads had remarkable chemistry. In what could be construed as melodramatic moments:

When Shi Jiu Mei discovers Yin Jian Ping's true identity. Topped off by the betrothal revelation.

and

The hug scene in the cell.

it didn't seem to come across that way. I become engaged and moved by the emotional tone set by the performance. Which made it worse when their ending was like: WTH??!!!

Ending

I think it was meant to end with Shi Jiu Mei slipping quietly into death on Jian Ping's shoulder at sunrise. It would've been a bittersweet end if they hadn't added that whole herb search part. I have a feeling production had intended for the series to be longer, leaving time for a last ditch effort to save Shi Jiu Mei. It seemed like they had to stop abruptly, hence the curve ball ending. Still, the ending was filmed beautifully I thought.

After I saw this thread, I basically skimmed watched this entire series in one night. As others have said, the picture quality on youtube isn't that great if you watch it from your computer, but if you watch it from your phone, it looks okay.

In a way I like this series because it's like the series from the 80s-90s. It's more "serious." A lot of the newer series I watch now, it's like they're trying to make jokes every few minutes like a gag reel. This is not like that. However, as j2j2j2 mentioned, it completely exasperated me on how idiotic the good people, especially the leader, of the main clan clan is. Here's a summary of the background, and I'll put it in a spoiler tag just in case I give too much away:

In the beginning, a woman with extremely strong martial arts loves the leader of this heroic clan. However, because she's from this "bad" clan that deals in poison, most people in the leader's clan refuse to allow him to marry her. (He kind of likes her.) While she is staying w/ the heroic clan trying to convince them that she is "worthy" to marry the leader, a plot develops. Basically, the 5th brother in the clan is trying to secretly steal a high level kung fu manual from their teacher's room. He has some other people within the clan helping him. The woman finds out that someone is trying to steal the book, and finds evidence that one of the clan members is suspicious because while trying to help others steal the book, his hand has turned blackish as a result of one of the woman's poisons. While the woman is questioning him in front of the other clan members, the 5th brother shoots a dart and kills him. Then all of the other clan members accuse the woman of killing that guy, but she keeps saying why would I use such an underhanded method to kill this guy? I already had my sword at the guy's neck, why would I shoot a dart at him at the same time? (She makes complete sense.) She continues to say that her martial arts could crush all everyone here. There is no reason at all for her to do these things. All of the clan members still accuse her of killing the guy. Finally, she says, I'm not going to leave here. Let's just wait until the leader comes back and see what he has to say. If anyone disagrees, we can fight to the death. Since everyone knows her skills are much better than theirs, they agree.

When the leader comes back, the woman tells him, you have to believe me. This is crazy that I'm being accused of this. (I completely agree.) However, he says, look, this dart looks like something that you'd use, I'm still suspicious. She starts being frustrated and says I can't believe this, my teacher told me never to trust men. I'm starting to see her point. Finally, the leader says, you stay here, and I'll do some more investigation.

During his investigation, the leader brings back two of his other brothers for assistance. The three of them discuss this for a while, with the two brothers saying that this is more complicated than it seems. During this whole time, the 5th brother is eavesdropping, which he does a lot during this time and is never caught. The two brothers then say they'll finish this discussion tomorrow. In their rooms, the two brothers say to each other, our teacher said that 5th brother has issues and it looks like he is suspicious. When the 5th brother hears the two discussing this, he kills both of them in their rooms.

The next morning, when it is discovered that the brothers have been killed, of course, everyone blames that woman. The leader rushes over to where the woman is staying, and says that we are over, there is nothing but bad blood between us now, you killed my brothers because they were about to tell everyone that you are guilty! The woman says you are a complete idiot, I cannot believe that you cannot see that this is an underhanded plot, can't you connect a few dots together?, why are you believing those fools and not me?, no wonder my teacher told me to never trust men, I will never trust a man again! They fight, she has an opportunity to kill him, she doesn't. She lets him go, but he attacks her again, and injures her. She tells him, fine, if you want to kill me, go ahead, and turns around to let him kill her. He looks at her in anger, and then just leaves.

A while later, the leader's remaining brothers (masterminded by the fifth brother) tell the leader that they need to devise a trap for this woman to kill her because her martial arts level is so high. So basically he goes to the woman, and tells her, I was all wrong, after I investigated I found out that you are innocent, I'm really sorry about this. However, I need you to meet w/ my clan members to clear your name, and after you are cleared, we can get married! The woman says, really, seriously, no way! She falls for this hook, line and sinker. When they are talking about this, she says that she really loves him, and her dream is for the both of them to just retire from the jianghu, and live together in some quiet peaceful place. When the leader hears this, he feels bad about trying to lure her into this trap, and instead tells her, you know, why don't you just stay here, and I'll go clear your name to my clan members myself. However, when the leader's brothers find out that he isn't going to lure the woman to the trap, they have someone disguise himself as the leader in a perfect costume, and go back to the woman and convince her to go to the meeting place. Then they drug the leader so that he is asleep when this happens.

When the woman goes to the meeting place in a cave inside some mountain, the brothers trap her inside the mountain, and set the inside of the cave on fire. When the leader wakes up, he finds out what is happening, and rushes to the cave to try to save the woman. When he reaches there, he defeats the brother who is watching over the cave, and then frees the woman. However, by this time, the woman is badly burned including half her face. She keeps telling him, why did you save me, why did you save me, you should have just let me die, she says frantically. He tells her that he didn't think she would go to the meeting place. She then says that she will definitely get her revenge, and then runs away while the leader is beside himself about what just happened.

Fast forwarding, the woman kidnaps the young daughter of one of the brothers of the clan (maybe 4th brother?). She finds that the girl is very skilled at martial arts and trains her to be her disciple. This girl is the Sister Gan, one of the main characters in this story. When Sister Gan grows up, she is extremely skilled, and her teacher then orders her to kill every single member of that heroic clan...

As I said, I was skim watching this series, so apologies if I made some mistakes in the summary here. The ending of the TV series is as NuDaFu stated.
    Last edited by wuxiafan123; 09-25-15 at 05:40 PM.

Yeah! You got it!

One small thing to add...

is the main guy and Sister Gan were childhood friends betrothed. The music was written by the guy's mom, and Sister Gan was the only person he taught it too.

Also, not sure if you got it, but the annoying girl that liked the main guy was the little sister of Sister Gan. And the old "chef" guy was actually their dad.

Regarding the ending,

In this series, Sister Gan is poisoned by her Teacher. She did it right after the scene where she's eavesdropping on them in the jail cell. She basically hears Sister Gan betraying her, by telling the main guy that the kung fu he learned form the old lady was specifically made to beat her Teacher (of course the old lady told him that before too).

The ending is definitely ambiguous.

The lady at the end, says there is a possible cure, but requires this type of special herb. So the other loyal guy, along with his girlfriend, go in search of it.

We don't know what happens in the end.

One thing they don't seem to address, or maybe I missed it because I also fast forwarded is what happened to the poison of the main guy?

Overall the series is just mediocre. It started out very interesting, but started dragging in the middle, and the ending was very abrupt.

I'm going to catch the 1996 version when I get a chance and see if that's any better.

One really funny thing, the actress that plays the Teacher was born in 1990!

http://baike.baidu.com/subview/1248460/6958317.htm

While the Sister Gan actress is 10 years OLDER

http://baike.baidu.com/view/1315058.htm

I guess the make up artists were pretty good!
    Ah, so you felt that she was annoying too?

Yeah, I noticed that she was Sister Gan's sister in the end of the episode. At first, I wonder who that girl was. When she met the main guy, she drugged him and tried to steal his sword (right?). Then she helped him, then she had a crush on him, and in the end .. what, she was Sister Gan's sister?? I mean, Sister Gan was so pretty and elegant and mature ..
    Thx for the explanation regarding the music origin. I thought that the main guy called her with her childhood name once, is that correct ?

And regarding the ending, thx for the explanation! :

I've suspected that there could be something about the poison. I thought that the poison could be cured, but it required some time. Or, if the poison had no cure, then it was also possible that the guy would commit suicide after she died. Dunno .. but it was bittersweet to see them together watching the sunset.
    Anyway, so the guy is still poisoned?? I thought that the Old Lady had cured him. Ahh, so she only cured him temporarily .. or half-healed him. No wonder that he became suddenly sick several times. He was still poisoned and the it was reacting. Now, everything makes sense.

Wow, Sister Gan doesn't look 10 years older than the teacher. They looked as if they have the same age.

Quote Originally Posted by NuDaFu View Post
    The trailer was quite engaging. I remember waiting what felt like ages for the broadcast.

Zhang Ding Han looked stunning in her role. (She's more famous for her lead as Ming Yue Xin in The Magic Blade/Tian Ya Ming Yue Dao). For a somewhat under developed romance, the two leads had remarkable chemistry. In what could be construed as melodramatic moments:

When Shi Jiu Mei discovers Yin Jian Ping's true identity. Topped off by the betrothal revelation.

and

it didn't seem to come across that way. I become engaged and moved by the emotional tone set by the performance. Which made it worse when their ending was like: WTH??!!!
    I felt the same way. I got attracted because of the trailer, and I also waiting for ages for the broadcast. I just felt that the tone of this series is different. It felt like a 'true wuxia', unlike recent series who felt like modern series in traditional costumes. That's why I was so curious.

Yes, Sister Gan used to play with Wallace Chung, right? I remember her, and she looked stunning here. Regarding the main guy (Jianping), I never knew him, but I kinda like him too. They both looked great together and I was so waiting for their scenes together, just because I like their chemistry.

Anyway, besides them, I'm only interested in Sister Gan's teacher. She is also very pretty and I like her acting as the super powerful vengeful evil heroine. The make up helps making her more into her role. I think she is suitable to become LMC of ROCH . Anyway, other than those three, I don't find anymore interesting characters.

And yeah, I also love

It was just a short small scene, but it was just bitter-sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by wuxiafan123 View Post
    After I saw this thread, I basically skimmed watched this entire series in one night. As others have said, the picture quality on youtube isn't that great if you watch it from your computer, but if you watch it from your phone, it looks okay.

In a way I like this series because it's like the series from the 80s-90s. It's more "serious." A lot of the newer series I watch now, it's like they're trying to make jokes every few minutes like a gag reel. This is not like that. However, as j2j2j2 mentioned, it completely exasperated me on how idiotic the good people, especially the leader, of the main clan clan is. Here's a summary of the background, and I'll put it in a spoiler tag just in case I give too much away:

In the beginning, a woman with extremely strong martial arts loves the leader of this heroic clan. However, because she's from this "bad" clan that deals in poison, most people in the leader's clan refuse to allow him to marry her. (He kind of likes her.) While she is staying w/ the heroic clan trying to convince them that she is "worthy" to marry the leader, a plot develops. Basically, the 5th brother in the clan is trying to secretly steal a high level kung fu manual from their teacher's room. He has some other people within the clan helping him. The woman finds out that someone is trying to steal the book, and finds evidence that one of the clan members is suspicious because while trying to help others steal the book, his hand has turned blackish as a result of one of the woman's poisons. While the woman is questioning him in front of the other clan members, the 5th brother shoots a dart and kills him. Then all of the other clan members accuse the woman of killing that guy, but she keeps saying why would I use such an underhanded method to kill this guy? I already had my sword at the guy's neck, why would I shoot a dart at him at the same time? (She makes complete sense.) She continues to say that her martial arts could crush all everyone here. There is no reason at all for her to do these things. All of the clan members still accuse her of killing the guy. Finally, she says, I'm not going to leave here. Let's just wait until the leader comes back and see what he has to say. If anyone disagrees, we can fight to the death. Since everyone knows her skills are much better than theirs, they agree.

When the leader comes back, the woman tells him, you have to believe me. This is crazy that I'm being accused of this. (I completely agree.) However, he says, look, this dart looks like something that you'd use, I'm still suspicious. She starts being frustrated and says I can't believe this, my teacher told me never to trust men. I'm starting to see her point. Finally, the leader says, you stay here, and I'll do some more investigation.

During his investigation, the leader brings back two of his other brothers for assistance. The three of them discuss this for a while, with the two brothers saying that this is more complicated than it seems. During this whole time, the 5th brother is eavesdropping, which he does a lot during this time and is never caught. The two brothers then say they'll finish this discussion tomorrow. In their rooms, the two brothers say to each other, our teacher said that 5th brother has issues and it looks like he is suspicious. When the 5th brother hears the two discussing this, he kills both of them in their rooms.

The next morning, when it is discovered that the brothers have been killed, of course, everyone blames that woman. The leader rushes over to where the woman is staying, and says that we are over, there is nothing but bad blood between us now, you killed my brothers because they were about to tell everyone that you are guilty! The woman says you are a complete idiot, I cannot believe that you cannot see that this is an underhanded plot, can't you connect a few dots together?, why are you believing those fools and not me?, no wonder my teacher told me to never trust men, I will never trust a man again! They fight, she has an opportunity to kill him, she doesn't. She lets him go, but he attacks her again, and injures her. She tells him, fine, if you want to kill me, go ahead, and turns around to let him kill her. He looks at her in anger, and then just leaves.

A while later, the leader's remaining brothers (masterminded by the fifth brother) tell the leader that they need to devise a trap for this woman to kill her because her martial arts level is so high. So basically he goes to the woman, and tells her, I was all wrong, after I investigated I found out that you are innocent, I'm really sorry about this. However, I need you to meet w/ my clan members to clear your name, and after you are cleared, we can get married! The woman says, really, seriously, no way! She falls for this hook, line and sinker. When they are talking about this, she says that she really loves him, and her dream is for the both of them to just retire from the jianghu, and live together in some quiet peaceful place. When the leader hears this, he feels bad about trying to lure her into this trap, and instead tells her, you know, why don't you just stay here, and I'll go clear your name to my clan members myself. However, when the leader's brothers find out that he isn't going to lure the woman to the trap, they have someone disguise himself as the leader in a perfect costume, and go back to the woman and convince her to go to the meeting place. Then they drug the leader so that he is asleep when this happens.

When the woman goes to the meeting place in a cave inside some mountain, the brothers trap her inside the mountain, and set the inside of the cave on fire. When the leader wakes up, he finds out what is happening, and rushes to the cave to try to save the woman. When he reaches there, he defeats the brother who is watching over the cave, and then frees the woman. However, by this time, the woman is badly burned including half her face. She keeps telling him, why did you save me, why did you save me, you should have just let me die, she says frantically. He tells her that he didn't think she would go to the meeting place. She then says that she will definitely get her revenge, and then runs away while the leader is beside himself about what just happened.

Fast forwarding, the woman kidnaps the young daughter of one of the brothers of the clan (maybe 4th brother?). She finds that the girl is very skilled at martial arts and trains her to be her disciple. This girl is the Sister Gan, one of the main characters in this story. When Sister Gan grows up, she is extremely skilled, and her teacher then orders her to kill every single member of that heroic clan...

As I said, I was skim watching this series, so apologies if I made some mistakes in the summary here. The ending of the TV series is as NuDaFu stated.
    Hi there
    Thanks a lot for the explanation . Anyway, I share the same reason with yours regarding this series . It is like 80s-90s series and feels more 'serious'.

The original novel is getting a modern English language adaptation in comic book form:https://bit.ly/IF_AGL