Thread: Ten Careers with High Rates of Depression

Default Ten Careers with High Rates of Depression

The range so wide. Better do nothing then. But, measuring road also stressful and depressing.

Ten Careers with High Rates of Depression

Some jobs are more depression prone than others. "There are certain aspects of any job that can contribute to or exacerbate depression," says Deborah Legge, a licensed mental health counselor in Buffalo. "Folks with the high-stress jobs have a greater chance of managing it if they take care of themselves and get the help they need."
    Here are 10 fields (out of 21 major job categories) in which full-time workers are most likely to report an episode of major depression in a given year. But if you want to be a nurse (number four), it doesn't mean you should pick another profession.

Nursing Home/Child Care Workers
    Personal-care providers top the list, with nearly 11 percent of people in this field reporting a bout of major depression. (The rate is 13 percent in the unemployed; 7 percent in the general population.)

A typical day can include feeding, bathing and caring for others who are "often incapable of expressing gratitude or appreciation ... because they are too ill or too young or they just aren't in the habit of it," says Christopher Willard, clinical psychologist at Tufts University and author of "Child's Mind." "It is stressful, seeing people sick and not getting a lot of positive reinforcement."

Food Service Staff
    Ranking just below professional-care workers are the people who are serving the food at your favorite local digs. Waitstaff often get low pay and can have exhausting jobs with numerous people telling them what to do each day.

While 10 percent of workers in general reported an episode of major depression in the past year, almost 15 percent of women in this field did so. "This is often a very thankless job," Legge says. "People can be really rude and there is a lot of physical exertion. When people are depressed, it is hard to have energy and motivation -- when you have to be on, it is difficult."

Social Workers
    It's probably not a huge surprise to find social workers near the top of this list. Dealing with abused children or families on the brink of every imaginable crisis -- combined with bureaucratic red tape -- can make for a demanding, stressful job that's often 24/7.

"There can be a culture that says that to do a good job, you have to work really hard and often make sacrifices," Willard says. "Because social workers work with people who are so needy, it can be hard to not sacrifice too much to the job. I see that happen a lot with social workers and other caring professions, and they get really burned out pretty quickly."

Health Care Workers
    This includes doctors, nurses, therapists and other professions that attract people who might end up giving a lot without saving a little for themselves. Health care workers can have long, irregular hours and days in which other people's lives are literally in their hands. In other words, the stress can be off the charts.

"Every day they are seeing sickness, trauma and death and dealing with family members of patients," Willard says. "It can shade one's outlook on the whole that the world is a sadder place."

Artists, Entertainers, Writers
    These jobs can bring irregular paychecks, uncertain hours and isolation. Creative people may also have higher rates of mood disorders; about 9 percent reported an episode of major depression in the previous year. In men, it's the job category most likely to be associated with an episode of major depression (nearly 7 percent in full-time workers). "One thing I see a lot in entertainers and artists is bipolar illness," says Legge. "There could be undiagnosed or untreated mood disorders in people who are artistic ... Depression is not uncommon to those who are drawn to work in the arts, and then the lifestyle contributes to it."

Teachers
    The demands on teachers seem to be constantly growing. Many work after school and then take work home. In a lot of areas, they learn to do a lot with a little. "There are pressures from many different audiences -- the kids, their parents and the schools trying to meet standards, all [of which] have different demands," Willard says. "This can make it difficult for teachers to do their thing and remember the reason they got started in the field."

Administrative Support Staff
    People in this field can suffer from a classic case of high demand, low control. They are on the front line, taking orders from all directions. But they are also at the bottom of the totem pole in terms of control and "everything filters down," according to Legge. They can have unpredictable days and may not be acknowledged for all of the work that they do to make life easier for everyone else.

Maintenance and Grounds Workers
    How would you like to be called on only when something goes wrong? That's essentially what maintenance people deal with each day. They also have to work odd hours, seasonal or varied schedules, and frequent night shifts. They are often paid little for a tough job that can include cleaning up other people's messes. "There is also higher turnover. In terms of co-workers, they are often isolated, and it can be dangerous work," Willard says.

Financial Advisors and Accountants
    Stress. Stress. Stress. Most people don't like dealing with their own retirement savings. So can you imagine handling thousands or millions of dollars for other people? "There is so much responsibility for other people's finances and no control of the market," Legge says. "There is guilt involved, and when [clients] are losing money, they probably have people screaming at them with regularity."

Salespeople
    People who work in sales are No. 10 on the list, though there are a whole host of reasons why the job could contribute to depression. Many salespeople work on commission, meaning you never know exactly when your next paycheck is coming. They may travel and have to spend time away from home, family and friends. If they work independently, benefits may also be limited. "This uncertainty of income, tremendous pressure for results and long hours" can make for a high-stress occupation, Legge says.

Source:
    http://www.aspenpointe.org/Newsroom/...ssion-319.html
    http://www.examiner.com/mental-healt...-of-depression
    http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...tes-depression
    Last edited by kidd; 01-31-11 at 04:35 AM.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Geez, that list pretty much covered almost all areas. I think I'd be more stressed than depressed though.
    Less Than Perfect

Quote Originally Posted by mi do ri View Post
    Geez, that list pretty much covered almost all areas. I think I'd be more stressed than depressed though.
    yeah, I expect lawyer, police officer, homicide detective would be top of the list.

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    yeah, I expect lawyer, police officer, homicide detective would be top of the list.
    Lawyers? Can you tell us how lawyers are any more stressful than like professionals, like computer programmers or firefighters? In the US, firefigher is number 1 most stressful job.

I would have thought help desk staff would get really depress as well...i spent 9 months in that position after high school and wanted to jump off a building everyday...
    Currently in love with Bae Suzy...for superficial reasons.

Cricket is supposed to have a notoriously high suicide rate.

Are farmers stressed and/or depressed? I know of someone who emigrate to Australia or is it New Zealand to grow apples.

A friend of mine who is a farmer seems content and happy. He shows no sign of depression. But he's just one person, not representative of the general farmer population. Heh.

My grandparents were farmers/gardeners back in the days. They would always talk about their farm life with fondness. The only thing that made them close to feeling depress was bad crops and or drought/flooding.

Unfortunately, there are enough depressing professions that I didn't even know I had. But to avoid falling into depression, it is better to ask for calmerry counseling. And the experts will tell you how to avoid this problem.
    Last edited by Kyler Jenkins; 10-15-22 at 05:16 AM.

Default -

I live in Canada so I dont know anyone that is in a frat/sori dont even know if we canadians have any frats/sorors. Frats & sororities interest me but i cannot find very much info on how to get into one. Also, i am wondering if any of you know of any good sights that have a lot of information that i could possibly use?

Some jobs can put more pressure on workers' mental health, which can lead to depression and other problems. It is important to note that the impact of an occupation on mental health may depend on a persons individual characteristics, their ability to manage stress, and the support of others. Mental health professionals recommend developing self-management skills, seeking support, and asking for help when needed.

As someone who's explored different career paths, I believe the issue of depression in certain professions is complex and often overlooked. While it's crucial to acknowledge the mental health challenges individuals face in demanding fields like healthcare, law, or academia, it's equally important to address systemic issues contributing to high rates of depression. Factors such as long hours, high stress, and lack of support can exacerbate mental health issues. Additionally, stigma surrounding mental health in the workplace often prevents individuals from seeking help. Employers should prioritize creating supportive environments with https://www.nursingpaper.com/example...etes-mellitus/ and offering resources to combat depression and promote overall well-being.
    Last edited by tokyo; 03-24-24 at 04:55 AM.