Thread: Slang and vulgar expressions in translation

Default Slang and vulgar expressions in translation

Occasionally when reading Wuxia translation (especially the wonderful fan/community translation) some of the slang expressions come up and are perplexing to me. For example, from Smiling Proud Wanderer:

Linghu Chong shouted loudly, "Your granny, didn't you bring your eyes? Your horse almost kicked this old man to death!"

When Linghu Chong is masquerading as General Wu, he uses the expression "your granny," multiple times to show off how vulgar he is. Other brash/crude characters also use that expression.

What does it mean? Where does it come from?

I think it's supposed to be "Your granny's" rather than "Your granny" ("ni nai nai de", rather than "ni nai nai", but occasionally people will just drop the "de" since the meaning is already understood), which makes is even more vulgar. It kind of refers to certain organs belonging to your ancestor. A variation is "His mother's" ("ta ma de"), but that's usually not directed at the person you're talking to, but a expression like "Shit".

Tony Leung's WXB had a signature phrase "Your grandfather", rather than "Your grandfather's" but I don't think he says that in the book.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Liew View Post
    I think it's supposed to be "Your granny's" rather than "Your granny" ("ni nai nai de", rather than "ni nai nai", but occasionally people will just drop the "de" since the meaning is already understood), which makes is even more vulgar. It kind of refers to certain organs belonging to your ancestor. A variation is "His mother's" ("ta ma de"), but that's usually not directed at the person you're talking to, but a expression like "Shit".
    That's really helpful, thanks!