Page 5 of 150 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141555105 ... LastLast

Thread: Legend of the Condor Heroes 2017 《射雕英雄传》 - Yang Xu Wen, Li Yi Tong, Chen Xing Xu

Michael Miu makes Huang Yaoshi the DILF of ancient China or the jiang hu or both

OT: Any actress who have acted as both HR and XLN before?

Quote Originally Posted by wkeej View Post
    OT: Any actress who have acted as both HR and XLN before?
    Idy Chan... 1983 classic ROCH and a 1985 TW remade of LOCH.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Icha Parvati View Post
    pardon me... but I don't really understand your explanation. XLN and HR are two different characters, why should new audiences be surprised to see the somber XLN later after HR?

I mean, for instance, I never read Langya Bang before watching that series, but I understand that Princess Nihuang and Consort Yu have different characteristics, and that's okay for it provides nuances for the series. I also didn't watch LOCH 83 until last March, and I can enjoy HR's characters without comparing it with Little Dragon Girl's (though I don't fancy XLN, but that's because of the way her character is written, not because I want her to be another HR).
    This show is meant to be aired in Korea by the way they choose the pretty boys & girls to star in it, like most Korean shows. Imagine you're a Korean and you never heard of Jin Yong. To see starkly contrasting characters later on might come as a bit of a shock to you. So to familiarize the audience with XLN before hand, the producer has smartly chosen to mimic her attributes in HR.

Another way to think of it would be, upon viewing ROCH a Korean viewer might say, "oh this couple is just like the one in the prequel". The way to garner the most viewers is to deal with the already familiar, since this production company seems to be very conservative from the clips I saw of their previous Jin Yong adaptation.
    Last edited by hirobo2; 07-01-16 at 07:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by drymonkey View Post
    OT: Thanks. Remember her in ROCH and HSDS. Did not see TW series of LOCH.

Quote Originally Posted by hirobo2 View Post
    This show is meant to be aired in Korea by the way they choose the pretty boys & girls to star in it, like most Korean shows. Imagine you're a Korean and you never heard of Jin Yong. To see starkly contrasting characters later on might come as a bit of a shock to you.
    Most of what you said are merely speculations and theory. Sure the show may air in Korea, but then it's also gonna be shown in various other parts of Asia too. As with many shows of this kind. And your theory about making HR resemble XLN to get Korean audience ready for XLN makes little sense. Plus there may not even be a ROCH follow up to this. Especially with ROCH 2014 being so recent.

Jin Yong adaptation usually come 6 years or so after said adaptations, regardless of production company. 4-5 years is probably the earliest. The last LOCH was 2008, so it has been a while.
    Last edited by wuxiarocks; 07-01-16 at 08:27 PM.

I honestly have to agree with wuxiarocks about your explanation, Hirobo. I think the reason of them dressing HR in White had nothing to do with her resemblance to XLN. It could be anything but your explanation, no offence.

Quote Originally Posted by drymonkey View Post
    Curious to know what people's opinions on Idy's performance as HR after her being XLN? I'm not a fan of XLN character, but some people like her acting, thus I wonder if she portrayed HR well.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by wuxiarocks View Post
    Most of what you said are merely speculations and theory. Sure the show may air in Korea, but then it's also gonna be shown in various other parts of Asia too. As with many shows of this kind. And your theory about making HR resemble XLN to get Korean audience ready for XLN makes little sense. Plus there may not even be a ROCH follow up to this. Especially with ROCH 2014 being so recent.

Jin Yong adaptation usually come 6 years or so after said adaptations, regardless of production company. 4-5 years is probably the earliest. The last LOCH was 2008, so it has been a while.

This show doesn't look very "classical Chinese". GJ's looks and the very Korean-looking character poster style say so. It won't be aired just in Korea. China has been trying for very a long time to get a foot hold in foreign markets like USA.

Anyways, the point I was trying to make is, if you ever visit North America, there are two types of Chinese restaurants. The ones that serve predominantly Western ppl, and the ones where most customers are Asian. The types of meals and manner of service are very different. This production is trying to serve a wide variety of audiences, so at least I expect it to be better than the ones made before it.

Also, someone here mentioned this company had budgeted $150 million to adapt 10 of Jin Yong's work. With that kind of commitment, it doesn't make sense to wait 6 years or more to adapt any work other than ROCH next. Also, with the fallout of ROCH 2014, a lot of viewers, like me, are dying for another remake soon... ROCH 2014 might as well not have existed, so the last one was in 2006 about 10 years ago. Most likely we're going to see a wave of Jin Yong works one after another like a STAR WARS Trilogy episodes released in relative tandem.

Hence, from a marketing perspective, I only see THIS version of HR as a test pilot for XLN. HR in this show is like China's 1st Liaoning aircraft carrier. It was bought 2nd hand as a test subject for the better ones China is making... They will use this HR (and GJ) to experiment live to make an even better XLN (and YG) on the screen...

This show doesn't look very "classical Chinese".
    But that's your opinion. Looks classical Chinese to me.

If we're talking about something not looking "classical Chinese", look at Ice Fantasy.

GJ's looks and the very Korean-looking character poster style say so.
    Again, your opinion. It looks just like another Chinese series poster to me.

It won't be aired just in Korea. China has been trying for very a long time to get a foot hold in foreign markets like USA.
    If they're not putting English sub, good luck with that.

Even with English sub how many Wuxia shows have you seen hit it big in the State?

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for them putting foot in the US.

Anyways, the point I was trying to make is, if you ever visit North America, there are two types of Chinese restaurants. The ones that serve predominantly Western ppl, and the ones where most customers are Asian. The types of meals and manner of service are very different. This production is trying to serve a wide variety of audiences, so at least I expect it to be better than the ones made before it.
    At the end of the day, quality should be there regardless of audience.

Also, someone here mentioned this company had budgeted $150 million to adapt 10 of Jin Yong's work. With that kind of commitment, it doesn't make sense to wait 6 years or more to adapt any work other than ROCH next.
    Someone also mentioned ZJZ had a production budget to adapt all of JY's less popular work from here, starting with Ode to Gallantry. With that commitment you would expect ZJZ to jump to the next series, Flying Fox. Yet that hasn't happen. Ode to Gallantry was filmed for years and it's still not out.

Same can be applied here. Just because it could happen doesn't mean it will. Even if this company does do ROCH next, it still doesn't mean they're trying to get "Korean audience" to be familiar with XLN by giving HR the appearance of XLN.

Also, with the fallout of ROCH 2014, a lot of viewers, like me, are dying for another remake soon...
    Sure, one can also argue that a lot of people are also tired of it, and don't want another ROCH so soon.

ROCH 2014 might as well not have existed, so the last one was in 2006 about 10 years ago. Most likely we're going to see a wave of Jin Yong works one after another like a STAR WARS Trilogy episodes released in relative tandem.
    Just because you don't like something, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. And of course we're gonna see a wave of JY's works one after another, we have been since the 70s. That's expected.

Hence, from a marketing perspective, I only see THIS version of HR as a test pilot for XLN. HR in this show is like China's 1st Liaoning aircraft carrier. It was bought 2nd hand as a test subject for the better ones China is making... They will use this HR (and GJ) to experiment live to make an even better XLN (and YG) on the screen...
    This is your theory and speculations.
    Last edited by wuxiarocks; 07-02-16 at 01:20 AM.

Interesting discussion though OT.
    1. Anyone has any idea which/how China wuxia series is performing in Korea?
    2. My own speculation for using "pretty boys" is possibly to attract the younger generation in China to watch the series.
    3. While it makes sense for a sequel to continue after LOCH, there is no need for the same actress to make the lead in both for familiarity. Indeed, it could be worse for HR appear in both series. Idy Chan is possibly the exception. But then, she was in the sequel first. (I remembered she did a good job in ROCH opposite Andy Lau as YG and also WYY in DGSD82. Can't remember much about her role as XZ in Adam Cheng's HSDS).
    Last edited by wkeej; 07-02-16 at 12:23 AM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by wuxiarocks View Post
    But that's your opinion. Looks classical Chinese to me.

If we're talking about something not looking "classical Chinese", look at Ice Fantasy. But that still doesn't mean anything.

Again, your opinion. It looks just like another Chinese series poster to me.

If they're not putting English sub, good luck with that.

Even with English sub how many Wuxia shows have you seen hit it big in the State?

You can put this with any analogy, at the end of the day, it's still for Asian audiences in general.

Someone also mentioned ZJZ had a production budget to adapt all of JY's less popular work from here, starting with Ode to Gallantry. With that commitment you would expect ZJZ to jump to the next series, Flying Fox. Yet that hasn't happen. Ode to Gallantry was filmed for years and it's still not out.

Same can be applied here. Just because it could happen doesn't mean it will. Even if this company does do ROCH next, it still doesn't mean they're trying to get "Korean audience" to be familiar with XLN by giving HR the appearance of XLN.

Sure, one can also argue that a lot of people are also tired of it, and don't want another ROCH so soon.

Just because you don't like something, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. And of course we're gonna see a wave of JY's works one after another, we have been since the 70s. That's expected.

This is your theory and speculations.

Hmm, you sound like one of those posters who never been to one of those coastal cities in China facing Japan. The ppl there seem to love imitating Japanese fashion/manner of dress with their hair dyed brown and "cute" outfits and such.

There is no theory. Chinese series are selling like hotcakes online in Korea right now. The current in thing to do for Chinese media producers would be to produce visuals that appeal to them. All I see in those character posters is an attempt at imitating Korean art style.

I can tell when an Asian work tries to be "Chinese" "Korean" or "Japanese". My eyes are trained to pick up the visual cues, and all the pics I see so far of the new LOCH scream Korea...

Hmm, you sound like one of those posters who never been to one of those coastal cities in China facing Japan. The ppl there seem to love imitating Japanese fashion/manner of dress with their hair dyed brown and "cute" outfits and such.
    Now you're making assumptions about me.

There is no theory. Chinese series are selling like hotcakes online in Korea right now. The current in thing to do for Chinese media producers would be to produce visuals that appeal to them. All I see in those character posters is an attempt at imitating Korean art style.
    I never said it isn't selling in Korea. I was referring to the US market. As you said, China is trying to plant foot outside of Asia. You misunderstood me.

I can tell when an Asian work tries to be "Chinese" "Korean" or "Japanese". My eyes are trained to pick up the visual cues, and all the pics I see so far of the new LOCH scream Korea...
    Again, your opinion. That's all I'm saying.
    Last edited by wuxiarocks; 07-06-16 at 04:52 PM.

Banned

Interesting discussion though OT.
    1. Anyone has any idea which/how China wuxia series is performing in Korea?
    2. My own speculation for using "pretty boys" is possibly to attract the younger generation in China to watch the series.
    3. While it makes sense for a sequel to continue after LOCH, there is no need for the same actress to make the lead in both for familiarity. Indeed, it could be worse for HR appear in both series. Idy Chan is possibly the exception. But then, she was in the sequel first. (I remembered she did a good job in ROCH opposite Andy Lau as YG and also WYY in DGSD82. Can't remember much about her role as XZ in Adam Cheng's HSDS).
    I can't remember the exactly site I read it. But the ones selling really well in Korea are actually ancient Chinese drama series (less fights more acting/emotions) with visuals/acting style so clean you could almost substitute a Korean actor into their place. Products like ROCH 2014 will never survive in the Korean market. The ones that do are 10x better made with more classy actors/actresses...
    Last edited by hirobo2; 07-02-16 at 01:45 AM.

I've watched Loch version since barbara yung version untill ariel lin Lol, my most fave JY novel among the trilogy. Can't miss this one. I've always like each actress of different potrayals of Huang Rong, hope this one is good also
    Last edited by 12blbl; 07-03-16 at 09:49 AM.

Banned

I kind of like the girly-looking GJ in this one...

Currently, I like the pretty and "icy" Mu Nianci. I know what IP is going to say.

Quote Originally Posted by 12blbl View Post
    I've watched Loch version since barbara yung version untill ariel lin Lol, my most fave JY novel among the trilogy. Can't miss this one. I've always like each actress of different potrayals of Huang Rong, hope this one is good also
    Likewise, LOCH is my favorite JY novel and adaptation as well. I think 2003 is probably the most accurate to the novel but I am always bias to the 82 version as the best overall, in term of acting and soundtrack. So far of all the latest JY remakes, especially the most recent ones, I have not able to find one that I considered truly enjoyable. They all are just way too draggy and took liberal with changing all the story line. My favorite modern day JY remake (2000s and onward) would probably be Sword Stained with Royal Blood 2007 version. As far as this one goes, not feeling the GJ selection at all...We can only hope it doesn't end up as disastrous as YK selection for 1994 and 2003 LOCH .

"looks a bit old and not so adorable" She is very pretty but just lacking alot of cuteness, of course, whoever is playing Huang Rong after the extremely cute Ariel Lin already did would be in a tough seat, higher expectations set...I bet even a Janice Wu will still get comparisons but just be a bit more welcomed at the same time. Agrees with somebody else somewhere that Li Yitong should play Zhiruo, the beautiful face in distressed instead.

Lah, you're so funny about that first poster.... Maybe it should be Yang Kang and that he didn't die in this version but repent, and left with Guo Jing.

Currently, I like the pretty and "icy" Mu Nianci. I know what IP is going to say.
    Hahaha! What would I say, actually? ;-)

I have no opinion of MNC at the moment, other than she's pretty...

Michael has posted a photo of him as HYS on board a boat looking for HR. I'll post it later when I'm with my laptop...