Thread: Ah Fei vs. Ging Mo Meng without handicaps and limitations?

Default Ah Fei vs. Ging Mo Meng without handicaps and limitations?

Ah Fei and Ging Mo Meng dueled twice in SENTIMENTAL SWORDSMAN RUTHLESS SWORD, and each man won once. On both occasions, however, the losing duelist was not at the top of his game. During the first duel, Ah Fei was two years out of practice, addled by Lam Sin Yee's drugs, and had lost his killer mojo and self-confidence after Lam Sin Yee had softened him with the easy life. Not surprisingly, Ah Fei in such a condition lost to Ging Mo Meng. Later, Ah Fei had regained his form after throwing Lam Sin Yee out of his life and defeated Ging Mo Meng, but at that point, Ging was so rattled by the unexpected death of his boss and benefactor Seung Gwoon Gum Hung at the hands of Dagger Lee that he was mentally off his game.

If we were to take Ah Fei and Ging Mo Meng at premium condition (e.g. their first appearances) during the timeframe of SENTIMENTAL SWORDSMAN RUTHLESS SWORD, with both at the top of their physical and mental game, who would actually win?

All right, I really want to discuss this topic, but nobody bit, so I'm going to try to jumpstart it by taking a controversial position and seeing if people rise to dispute it: I think Ah Fei would win this duel because between the two, he was the more righteous and heroic character, and Gu Long tended to have the righteous, heroic characters win unless the plot demanded otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    All right, I really want to discuss this topic, but nobody bit, so I'm going to try to jumpstart it by taking a controversial position and seeing if people rise to dispute it: I think Ah Fei would win this duel because between the two, he was the more righteous and heroic character, and Gu Long tended to have the righteous, heroic characters win unless the plot demanded otherwise.
    Oh come on, because as you already acknowledged, Gu Long will crap the 'righteousness thumps all' card deck out and therefore we know the REAL answer is that LI XUNHUAN WINS.

The dagger will break both sword tips just as they cross each other, preventing the inevitable mutual death and everybody watching will go 000h-ahhh Li (who didn't show his face after the throw) definitely deserves to be #1 and the dagger is truly invincible and all gets misty eyed.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    ...preventing the inevitable mutual death...
    OK, so they're close enough that a mutual KO is the most likely outcome.

OK, so they're close enough that a mutual KO is the most likely outcome.
    This is Gu Long, the 'inevitable' never ever happens.

Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    This is Gu Long, the 'inevitable' never ever happens.
    I wouldn't go that far: Sai Mun Chui Sheut used his sword to kill Yip Goo Sing in a duel, and likewise Lee Chum Foon killed Seung Gwoon Gum Hung in their duel. These were the outcomes that most fans expected and likely wanted to see, though not in explicit detail (because Gu Long didn't do that) and adorned with conditions and qualifications.

I wouldn't go that far: Sai Mun Chui Sheut used his sword to kill Yip Goo Sing in a duel, and likewise Lee Chum Foon killed Seung Gwoon Gum Hung in their duel. These were the outcomes that most fans expected and likely wanted to see, though not in explicit detail (because Gu Long didn't do that) and adorned with conditions and qualifications.
    No no no, I meant 'inevitable' when GL states it explicitly. Like, 'the sword will surely pierce the throat', 'there is no way to block this strike' etc. etc. situations.

So just like Schrodinger's Cat, because the observers never witnessed the swords hit home, Ah Fei could have simultaneously won or lost that exchange.
    Last edited by CC; 02-16-21 at 06:02 AM.