Thread: Did Yeung Gor's literacy prove useful to him later in his wulin life?

Default Did Yeung Gor's literacy prove useful to him later in his wulin life?

Due to Wong Yung's misgivings about teaching him martial arts, Yeung Gor instead learned how to read and write from her during his time at Peach Blossom Island. Wong Yung recognized that Yeung Gor was an apt pupil in the scholarly arts. Did Yeung Gor's exceptional (by wulin standards) literacy help him much in his wulin life?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Due to Wong Yung's misgivings about teaching him martial arts, Yeung Gor instead learned how to read and write from her during his time at Peach Blossom Island. Wong Yung recognized that Yeung Gor was an apt pupil in the scholarly arts. Did Yeung Gor's exceptional (by wulin standards) literacy help him much in his wulin life?
    His grounding in the arts (Xiao Longnu also taught him music) and his insight therein meant Huang Yaoshi took a shine to him, as someone worthy of his friendship.

Quote Originally Posted by pannonian View Post
    His grounding in the arts (Xiao Longnu also taught him music) and his insight therein meant Huang Yaoshi took a shine to him, as someone worthy of his friendship.
    I remember Chu Tze Lau being quite impressed with him too. On the practical side, I also wonder if a certain level of literacy also helps comprehension of advanced martial arts principles, especially if the instructions are delivered in literary form.

I remember Chu Tze Lau being quite impressed with him too. On the practical side, I also wonder if a certain level of literacy also helps comprehension of advanced martial arts principles, especially if the instructions are delivered in literary form.
    Don't forget his 17 stances of Sad Palm was named by a "poetery" from North Song era😊😊😊😊

It might have made the abstract theory of dog beating stick technique easier for him to understand. That he managed to force the theory and techniques together to form a workable MA form was his own ability. There are various instances through the story where he manages to break through in understanding because of his ability to imagine what another individual was thinking, ie. his emotional IQ. Which is, of course, the basis of art.

Quote Originally Posted by pannonian View Post
    And this helped YG took a huge step forward. When they met, YG wasn't even able to defeat LMC. But remember that HYS was able to teach Sha Gu to defeat LMC with only 3 stances. Imagine what a boost YG would be able to get from learning from HYS.