Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: (Just checking) Has anyone stopped watching wuxia series?

Default (Just checking) Has anyone stopped watching wuxia series?

I seem to be one of them. No interest somehow. Anyone in the same boat as me?

yes, current wuxia has a ridiculous, unreal, and focus too much on romance
    it's like romance and love are their primary story and wuxia or martial arts become an additional story

They've gone from manly & heroic to metrosexual.

Smile

I think it might be because some people lose interests by watching the same shows over and over with nothing new and of course not being able to discuss about them because of what I have been saying about this Spcnet forum problems and it seems this SPCNET person haven't returned to do something about it.....

During the hype of the Yi Tian Tu Long Ji 2019 drama TV series, I went to a book store and there were many talented looking teenagers reading into Yi Tian Tu Long Ji and I was curious so I talked with them and was wondering what made them so interested and they told me it's because of the 2019 Yi Tian show.....

I told them about the Kaypang facebook WuXia group and this Spcnet forum, but it seems they didn't want to go on the Facebook Kaypang Wuxia group for whatever reasons..... so I'm not sure how effective Ken WuXia facebook group will be.....

They were very interested in reading on this Spcnet forum though.....
    But I am guessing they never went on to this Spcnet forum to discuss anything because of the problems I have been saying for a while now with the functionality problem of this Spcnet forum.....

Which is the reason I'm proposing for everyone to look into my WuXiaMist forum at WuXiaMist dot boards dot net..... We can always return to Spcnet forum whenever this SPCNET person return.....?

What do you guys think?

If spcnet "die" next year, possibly I will feel a bit sad and lost since I visit this site everyday. But I think it is a matter of getting used to it. If my wuxia fever came back, then I will look for another site where I can join, e.g. wuxiamist.boards.net.

I believe after yr 2000. Most wuxia series became idol dramas focus on romance less action choreography. Bad cgi etc. Focus on younger audience but they don't like the bad cgi or cheesy effects etc.

I feel like people who watch wuxia series are people like us who grew up watching them during tvb Golden 80s n 90s era.

Wuxia series now a days aren't creative with their action scenes or cgi. I honestly rather if directors and writer when making next wuxia series put some better plot or flesh out characters better and not rush series.

Watched and winner is love. The cast set ost was good but story just kept dragging and bad action scenes etc.

I don't mind of they add to the story but make it flow with the main story. That was one reason condor heroes 2014 wasn't as good . It was nice knowing each greats back story but they could've done it better.

I still keep watching each of these remakes regardless.

Smile

There is also a sense from teenager now a days that don't grow up with watching the older series for many reasons like even if you try to convince them to watch, they would say things like these actors don't look greats or the show isn't in High Definition Ultra HD whatever.....

It would be really tough to convince these teenager that Bryan Leung playing as Guo Jing from the 1980 something Condor Heroes version is as great looking as Hu Ge playing as Guo Jing from the Condor Heroes 2008 version.

Without weapons, don't you guys think it would be nice to have modern WuXia experiences..... Like college clubs or whatever?

Like something from this Drama TV series....?

What do you guys think?

Quote Originally Posted by GazingStar5 View Post
    There is also a sense from teenager now a days that don't grow up with watching the older series for many reasons like even if you try to convince them to watch, they would say things like these actors don't look greats or the show isn't in High Definition Ultra HD whatever.....

It would be really tough to convince these teenager that Bryan Leung playing as Guo Jing from the 1980 something Condor Heroes version is as great looking as Hu Ge playing as Guo Jing from the Condor Heroes 2008 version.
    That's one of the problems with the younger generation: so incredibly superficial and wanting things to be clean and slick. The rough and tumble nature of older wuxia was part of its appeal. Kiu Fung and Gwok Jing were not meant to be pretty boys; they were old school tough guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    That's one of the problems with the younger generation: so incredibly superficial and wanting things to be clean and slick. The rough and tumble nature of older wuxia was part of its appeal. Kiu Fung and Gwok Jing were not meant to be pretty boys; they were old school tough guys.
    I mean, the old days still had the 'pretty boy' factor as Adam, Yuen Fatt, Andy, Michael, Kent and Felix were the equilvalent of 'pretty boys' back in the days. But it just seems more focused on pretty boys nowadays.

The thing that bugs me most is that almost none of them (old days or new) had the bulk or muscles.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

A better reflection of GJ?

Quote Originally Posted by wkeej View Post
    A better reflection of GJ?

i dunno, that first guy to the left felt like she can be michelle yim's dad lmao
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

Entries due July 31st, 2016!

Mount Olympus, sipping nectar and eating ambrosia

I have completely stopped watching and reading wuxia. I can occasionally watch an adaptation of Louis Cha's works, but that is about it.

I love Louis Cha, but I don't think most wuxia novels and wuxia series are of good quality.

With all due respect to those who still love the 1970s to 1990s TVB adaptations, I can't watch those without laughing uncontrollably. To me, they have not aged well.
    So huge, so hopeless, to conceive
    As these that twice befell
    Parting is all we know of heaven
    And all we need of hell.

Emily Dickinson (1830-1886)

Quote Originally Posted by Athena View Post
    I have completely stopped watching and reading wuxia. I can occasionally watch an adaptation of Louis Cha's works, but that is about it.

I love Louis Cha, but I don't think most wuxia novels and wuxia series are of good quality.

With all due respect to those who still love the 1970s to 1990s TVB adaptations, I can't watch those without laughing uncontrollably. To me, they have not aged well.
    LOCH 2003 has aged pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by Athena View Post

I find almost everything crap. Two that I recently liked was 秋寒江南 and 三少爺的劍 (the Peter Ho as Yan13 version). Even then, there were parts of both which I found objectionable but both of them had scenes which captured wuxia essence very well IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    I find almost everything crap. Two that I recently liked was 秋寒江南 and 三少爺的劍 (the Peter Ho as Yan13 version). Even then, there were parts of both which I found objectionable but both of them had scenes which captured wuxia essence very well IMHO.
    LOCH 2003 has an ATG actress exercising her acting chops as the character of Huang Rong (as opposed to the characteristics of Huang Rong), and just as importantly, the best Genghis Khan I have seen, the other Great Hero in the story. This grounds the wuxia elements in two superbly realised characters. There's also the production of course, IIRC the first time a Jinyong series had been done with big budget cinema production values.

The thing that bugs me most is that almost none of them (old days or new) had the bulk or muscles.
    I think louis fan is bulky. He played as HJ in DGSD 97.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...ZyspQ&usqp=CAU
    Last edited by Stance; 08-13-20 at 03:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stance View Post
    I think louis fan is bulky. He played as HJ in DGSD 97.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...ZyspQ&usqp=CAU
    Yes, Louis Fan aka Rikki Oh has the build and the real wushu skills. Noticed thats why out of the 3 DGSD brothers in that series, only HE got to take off his shirt?

Unfortunately, Xu Zhu wasnt supposed to be well built. But fair enough I can write it off as Shaolin monk for 20years, he gotta have a fit basic physique.

Then put it aside for a few years. Sometimes, you just need a detox, and it could take years. If it's in your blood, though, you'll always, always come back to it eventually.

Yes, Louis Fan aka Rikki Oh has the build and the real wushu skills. Noticed thats why out of the 3 DGSD brothers in that series, only HE got to take off his shirt?

Unfortunately, Xu Zhu wasnt supposed to be well built. But fair enough I can write it off as Shaolin monk for 20years, he gotta have a fit basic physique.
    Actually there was a scene where QF (Felix wong) pulled off his shirt to show the wolf tattoo on his body... That was a bad scene haha