Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: After 36 years, taking the SPW '84 plunge beginning Monday, 10/19/2020

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Kwok View Post
    I think you have heard enough complaints in this forum about how LHC one-shots nearly everyone whilst half-dead .

He gets progressively worse and worse until he meets Ren Woxing and accidently learns his star-absorbing technique. But that only temporarily relieves the issue and sets up a far worse problem for him in the near future. He doesn't get better until he learns the Shaolin Tendon-changing classic, at the very end of the story.
    Well, crap.

Jin Yong was a bit sadistic to his protagonist in SPW.

Episode 15:

Ling Wu Chung is certainly popular with wulin's "freaks and geeks" crowd, which isn't exactly endearing him to his uptight, stick-in-the-mud teacher Ngok But Kwun.

Ling Wu Chung took on some more injuries (what else is new), and ironically, it seems that every attempt to heal him just injures him some more. Talk about medical malpractice.

Ling Wu Chung and Yam Ying Ying have begun their wulin travels together. Let's see if they've got chemistry.

skoo78 would probably be amused to learn that Hmong characters (the Five Fairies Sect) appear in SPW.

Episode 16! I've made it to the second half of the series!

Yam Ying Ying takes the injured Ling Wu Chung to the Shaolin Temple...by WHEELBARROW! Unfortunately, she kind of dropped him on the way.

Intrigued by how Ling Wu Chung will eventually learn the Yik Gun Ging without first needing to become a Shaolin monk.

I continue to feel that Chow Yun Fat was miscast in this role. He's my favorite actor and one of the greatest actors of all time, but this role is just not suitable for him. Ling Wu Chung is injured for like 90% of this series, but Chow is a tall, robust-looking guy. I keep thinking that Andy Lau or Tony Leung would have been more suitable for this role, but those two were already getting plenty of wuxia work with TVB in 1984 and perhaps were not available.

Ling Wu Chung also meets Heung Mun Teen for the first time, and it looks like they're off on a mission to rescue Yam Ngor Hang.

Episode 17:

A lot happened this episode! It was probably the most interesting one yet.

Had a lot of fun watching Ling Wu Chung running the gauntlet set up for him by the Four Friends of Gong Nam. Giant go pieces, giant calligraphy scrolls, giant lyres...fun stuff.

So Ling Wu Chung finally meets Yam Ngor Hang, and learns the Star-Absorbing Technique from him. I do wonder what the connection is between Star-Absorbing Technique and the Bak Ming Sun Gung and Diffusion Force Technique from DGSD. Are they related, or merely coincidentally similar?

The Sun Moon Cult evidently is a rebooted version of the Ming Cult from HSDS. Yam Ngor Hang wanted to promote Heung Mun Teen to the position of Gwong Ming Left Herald, the title famously held by Yeung Siu back in HSDS times.

No sign of the Mt. Hua Sect folks in this episode, and it's just as well. That crew is a bit boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post

I do wonder what the connection is between Star-Absorbing Technique and the Bak Ming Sun Gung and Diffusion Force Technique from DGSD. Are they related, or merely coincidentally similar?
    I thought it was created from BMSG?

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...l=1#post664940

Episode 18:

Ling Wu Chung had fun this episode impersonating a Ming military officer named "Ng Teen Dak." Hmmm...along with Deun Teen Dak from LOCH, that's TWO military officers with the given name of "Teen Dak." Was "Teen Dak" some common name among military officers in pre-modern China?

The rift continues to grow between Ling Wu Chung and his erstwhile Mt. Hua Sect cohorts, but now he finds himself leading a gaggle of Mt. Hang Sect nuns, whom he very soon convinces to join him in a wealth redistribution scheme that even Bernie Sanders would find ambitious.

Looks like Tsor Lang Sim is getting ready to monopolize the Five Swords Federation.

Where the heck did Yam Ying Ying and her dad disappear off to this episode?

Episode 19:

Well, a HELLUVA LOT happened in this episode!

Looks like Ling Wu Chung has become the de facto leader of the freaks and geeks of wulin, leading them in a siege of the Shaolin Temple. He's leading them on an operation to rescue Yam Ying Ying, but her dad and Heung Mun Teen beat them to the punch.

Ling Wu Chung has also officially become the head of a nunnery, which should be interesting, considering that he's a secular male.

Looks like Ngok But Kwun is starting to lose facial hair and his male sex drive, which means he's started training in the Qwai Fa Bo Deen, but...I don't get it. NOTHING in the previous episodes indicates that he's gained possession of the Qwai Fa Bo Deen. What's going on here? He doesn't have the manual, does he? If he does, HOW? He didn't have it before. We didn't see him looking for it (much less get it). Is this another weird moment with the continuity and editing? Doc Kwok...HELP (please)!

Not sure why the Chief Abbot of Shaolin is letting Tzor Lang Sim and the Five Swords Federation walk all over him. Tzor is bossing him around...AT Shaolin! This is the mighty Shaolin Temple, whose monks could probably wipe the floor with the Five Swords Federation, but the Chief Abbot is letting Tzor and the others play him like a fiddle. What gives?

Any actors performing the roles of the Six Peach Freaks have their work cut out for them, because they have to screech like monkeys through all their dialogue. I wonder if all the SPW adaptations do this with the Six Peach Freaks.

The episode ends on an exciting cliffhanger: Yam Ngor Hang is about to test himself against three of the best in mainstream orthodox wulin: Chief Abbot Fong Jing, Taoist Chung Hui of Mo Dong Sect, and Tzor Lang Sim. Exciting!

Looks like Ngok But Kwun is starting to lose facial hair and his male sex drive, which means he's started training in the Qwai Fa Bo Deen, but...I don't get it. NOTHING in the previous episodes indicates that he's gained possession of the Qwai Fa Bo Deen. What's going on here? He doesn't have the manual, does he? If he does, HOW? He didn't have it before. We didn't see him looking for it (much less get it). Is this another weird moment with the continuity and editing? Doc Kwok...HELP (please)!
    There was a scene where LPZ find it in his old house and then some dudes jumps out and grabs it. LHC gives chase and gets it back, but passes out and when he wakes up, it's gone.

Watch at 21m

https://youtu.be/qZpQv_OuFMU
    Last edited by Stance; 11-13-20 at 06:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stance View Post
    There was a scene where LPZ find it in his old house and then some dudes jumps out and grabs it. LHC gives chase and gets it back, but passes out and when he wakes up, it's gone.

Watch at 21m

The manual was in the bundle that LPZ and YLS found at the shrine, which was stolen by two Songshan members, then recovered by LHC. YBQ steals it from LHC while he is unconscious. In the novel, you don't find out about this until much later.

Any actors performing the roles of the Six Peach Freaks has their work cut out for them, because they have to screech like monkeys through all their dialogue. I wonder if all the SPW adaptations do this with the Six Peach Freaks.
    There was never any indication that they spoke in anything other than a normal tone of voice in the novel (though they spoke a lot!). They spoke normally in SOD '96.

Watch at 21m

Thanks, Stance. I thought, however, that they had sought and found the Pik Che Sword Technique manual, not the Qwai Fa Bo Deen. The Pik Che Sword Technique by itself doesn't require castration/emasculation, and even if Ngok But Kwun got his hands on the manual for the sword technique, I don't know how or where he could have gotten the Qwai Fa Bo Deen.

There was never any indication that they spoke in anything other than a normal tone of voice in the novel (though they spoke a lot!). They spoke normally in SOD '96.
    That's good to hear. In the 1984 TVB adaptation, they all screech their dialogue like monkeys which is irritating as heck as well as makes it difficult to understand what they're saying.

Thanks, Stance. I thought, however, that they had sought and found the Pik Che Sword Technique manual, not the Qwai Fa Bo Deen. The Pik Che Sword Technique by itself doesn't require castration/emasculation, and even if Ngok But Kwun got his hands on the manual for the sword technique, I don't know how or where he could have gotten the Qwai Fa Bo Deen.
    That was the Bixie sword manual, which is derived from the Sunflower manual. They both require castration.

That was the Bixie sword manual, which is derived from the Sunflower manual. They both require castration.
    I see. No wonder the Lams never got anywhere with the Pik Che Sword Technique. They skipped an important prerequisite.

Episode 20:

The confrontations between Yam Ngor Hang and the three mainstream wulin leaders did not go at all as I expected. I thought Yam Ngor Hang would be decisively victorious against all three, but...

Yam Ngor Hang vs. Shaolin Chief Abbot Fong Jing: looked like a tie, but evidently, Fong Jing actually won. Yam Ngor Hang took some damage in this confrontation, while Fong Jing took none. I also don't think Fong Jing was going all-out.

Yam Ngor Hang vs. Tzor Lang Sim: Tzor decisively won, which really surprised me. I thought Yam Ngor Hang was on a higher level than Tzor, but no.

Yam Ngor Hang vs. Taoist Chung Hui of Mo Dong Sect: Chung Hui declined to duel, which surprised me.

Ling Wu Chung dueled his former teacher Ngok But Kwun for the first time. This too was a kind of a tie, though Ling Wu Chung is clearly superior at this point. Ling Wu Chung was KO'd, but Ngok But Kwun broke his leg. Ling Wu Chung wasn't going all out against his former teacher.

Still some weird-*** editing in this series, which had a scene wherein Ling Wu Chung and Yam Ying Ying were having a serious conversation cut-off in midsentence to check in with Dung Fong But Bai, whose now well into the womanly phase.

Now Ling Wu Chung has gotten all those freak and geek buddies of his (including a newly castrated Tian Bak Gwong) to join the Mt. Hang Sect! This is hilarious, especially as they all partied like it was 1999!

Fong Jing and Chung Hui gave Ling Wu Chung some info about the history of the Qwai Fa Bo Deen, which clearly pegs it to the Sung Dynasty era of L/ROCH. Makes you wonder where the Qwai Fa Bo Deen was during a time when wulin was fighting over the 9 Yum Jen Ging.

Yam Ngor Hang vs. Shaolin Chief Abbot Fong Jing: looked like a tie, but evidently, Fong Jing actually won. Yam Ngor Hang took some damage in this confrontation, while Fong Jing took none. I also don't think Fong Jing was going all-out.
    In the novel, RWX felt he was losing, so he suddenly attacked Yu Canghai, who was standing to one side. FZ defended him, but in doing so left himself open to RWX, who sealed one of his acupoints. RWX won, albeit via trickery.
    Yam Ngor Hang vs. Tzor Lang Sim: Tzor decisively won, which really surprised me. I thought Yam Ngor Hang was on a higher level than Tzor, but no.
    ZLC was much weaker than RWX. ZLC had a counter to RWX's star-absorbing technique that RWX was unaware of - a freezing qi that would cause RWX to literally freeze up when absorbed. Had RWX kept using normal techniques, he would have crushed him without too much difficulty.
    Ling Wu Chung dueled his former teacher Ngok But Kwun for the first time. This too was a kind of tie, though Ling Wu Chung is clearly superior at this point. Ling Wu Chung was KO'd, but Ngok But Kwun broke his leg. Ling Wu Chung wasn't going all out against his former teacher.
    LHC refused to attack at all, and literally defended 100% of the time. YBQ took advantage of this to concentrate purely on attack without bothering to defend himself, but still could not manage to hit him. RWX sardonically commented that the contest would be decided by who starved to death first. The contest ended when YBQ distracted LHC using moves from the childish sword technique that LHC created with YLS - LHC unconsciously attacked and disarmed YBQ in one hit. When LHC knelt down begging for forgiveness, YBQ kicked him and knocked him unconscious, but broke his leg in doing so. It later turned out that YBQ broke his own leg to make ZLC think that he was weaker than he really was.
    Fong Jing and Chung Hui gave Ling Wu Chung some info about the history of the Qwai Fa Bo Deen, which clearly pegs it to the Sung Dynasty era of L/ROCH. Makes you wonder where the Qwai Fa Bo Deen was during a time when wulin was fighting over the 9 Yum Jen Ging.
    There is some debate about this - it came from a 'previous dynasty'. It could be the previous dynasty (i.e. Yuan dynasty) or a previous dynasty (in which case it could be Song, Tang or even earlier).

There is some debate about this - it came from a 'previous dynasty'. It could be the previous dynasty (i.e. Yuan dynasty) or a previous dynasty (in which case it could be Song, Tang or even earlier).
    The dialogue from the 1984 series had it somewhat more specifically, saying "300 years" in the past, which assuming that SPW took place in 1400s or 1500s, would have been during Sung times.

I've always been intrigued about how it fell into the hands of shaolin?

It wasn't like the shaolin monk was walking along, tripped and rolled down a cliff and into a cave and lo and behold a powerful manual was there.
    Last edited by Stance; 11-14-20 at 06:15 PM.

I've always been intrigued about how it fell into the hands of shaolin?

It's wasn't like the shaolin monk was walking along, tripped and rolled down a cliff and into a cave and lo and behold a power manual was there.
    Shaolin accidentally (if that is indeed the case) seemed to acquire several different manuals in a similar manner. The 9 Yeung Jen Ging came into their possession through similarly mysterious means.