Thread: Wuxia theme music that doesn't sound very wuxia.

Default Wuxia theme music that doesn't sound very wuxia.

A memorable wuxia movie or TV series is often accompanied by a memorable soundtrack featuring music that is evocative of wuxia adventure in China's mythical past. Such music often heavily features traditional Chinese musical instruments and a general tone that indicates distant removal from the modern world of reality.

Occasionally, however, some movies or TV series feature wuxia music that sounds incongruously modern and doesn't quite evoke that wuxia feel. It's not that these musical pieces aren't great music in their own right, but they just aren't every evocative of wuxia.

The two examples that strike me are the main theme songs of Part 3 of LOCH '82 and ROCH '83. With its rollicking rock 'n roll bass and guitar, the theme song of LOCH '82 Part 3 is certainly catchy and memorable, but if not for the explicitly wuxia lyrics, I would have never associated it with a wuxia TV series. Ditto the main theme of ROCH '83, whose main instrumental riff was played on piano...a decidedly non-wuxia musical sound.

On a similar topic, the theme song of HSDS 86 cannot be beat. It fits the story line perfectly. I get goosebumps everytime I listen to it.

I listened to this song from 'Return of Luk Siu Fung 1986' in my car today - very modern sounding!

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Kwok View Post
    I listened to this song from 'Return of Luk Siu Fung 1986' in my car today - very modern sounding!
    The instrumental introduction to that song had a bona fide wuxia feel, but the verses and chorus do sound like fairly standard 1986 Cantopop.