Thread: Do you think Gu Long would have written more wuxia stories had he lived?

Default Do you think Gu Long would have written more wuxia stories had he lived?

Jin Yong wrapped up his wuxia writing career with the final installment of DUKE OF MT. DEER in 1972. Though he was not yet an old man at the time, with several decades of good health and life still ahead of him, he had told all the wuxia stories he had wanted to tell, and though he'd revise his older works periodically during the next forty years, he'd never write an entirely new wuxia story.

Gu Long, who died in 1985, was very prolific until his health began failing him in the early 1980s. Right up until nearly the time of his death, new Gu Long wuxia novels were still being published (though many of these were assisted or completed by his friends). Had Gu Long remained healthy and lived until the 2010s as Jin Yong did, do you think he would have continued writing new wuxia novels, or would he, like Jin Yong, have retired from wuxia writing gongwu years ago?

Senior Member Mandred Skavenslayer's Avatar

Wasn't his final novel unfinished? I would say yes as it was part of his nature and he was a man who mostly gave into this impulses.

in one of his interview that i read, he said that the legend of chu liuxiang is not finish yet, he want to continue the story.

he passed away at age 47 and already have more than 70 novels, so if he still alive today, i wonder how many novels he will release, 200? 300?

Quote Originally Posted by a_tumiwa View Post
    in one of his interview that i read, he said that the legend of chu liuxiang is not finish yet, he want to continue the story.

he passed away at age 47 and already have more than 70 novels, so if he still alive today, i wonder how many novels he will release, 200? 300?
    Yeah, he will definitely write more. His novels are different but not inferior to JinYong's novels. However, the vast majority of his novels are taken place in late Ming Dynasty. If he were to write more novels, some of them will probably taking place in Tang, Song and Qing Dynasties, not only in Ming Dynasty.

a little off topic,
    is there any wuxia author wrote story in 5 dynasties and 10 kingdoms era?
    majority authors (liang yusheng, huang yi) use Tang dynasty then jump to Song , bypass the 5 dynasties era

He would have. He needed the money, and from what I gather there was plenty of demand for what he wrote. a_tumiwa - you would have to ask an expert like akolaw as there are dozens/hundreds of wuxia stories that don't get discussed on English language forums. That era ought to be a good one to set a wuxia story in (though to be fair there are many periods of Chinese history that would make an exciting wuxia setting) but it strikes me that a story set in when, for instance, Zhao Kuangyin comes to power would be too similar to Huang Yi's "Dual Dragons of the Tang Age". (NB. I seem to have lost the ability to break up my text into paragraphs - does anyone else here have this glitch, or is it just me?)
    Last edited by Patudo; 11-17-20 at 07:08 AM.