Thread: What are your thoughts on SPW's 3rd edition ending?

Default What are your thoughts on SPW's 3rd edition ending?

This extra paragraph is added at the end of the 3rd edition of The Smiling, Proud Wanderer:

【新修版】在最后新加一段话作为结尾:
      令狐冲一生但求逍遥自在,笑傲江湖,自与盈盈结?,虽偿了平生之愿,喜乐无已,却不免受到 娇妻温
      柔的管束,真要逍遥自在,无所拘束,却做不到了,突然之间,心中响起了《笑傲江湖之曲》的 曲调,
      忽想:“我奏这曲子,要高便高,要低便低,只有自己一个人奏琴,才可自由自在,然如和盈盈 合奏,
      便须依照谱子奏曲,不能任意放纵,她高我也高,她低我也低,,这才说得上和谐和拍。佛家讲 求涅磐,
      首先得做到无欲无求,这才能无拘无束,但人生在世,要吃饭,要穿衣要顾到别人,岂能当真无 欲无求?
      ”涅磐是‘无为境界’,我们做人是‘有为境界’,在‘有为境界’中,只要没有不当的欲求, 就不会受
      不当的束缚,那便是逍遥自在了。”
    which Ren Wo Xing kindly translated in this message:

All his life, Linghu Chong had desired only to be carefree, to laugh gaily in the face of the martial world. After having married Yingying, although he achieved the hope of a lifetime and was filled with boundless joy, he couldn’t avoid his tender wife’s gentle restraints. He could no longer be truly free and totally unrestrained. But suddenly, he thought of the melody of the song, “Laughing Proudly at the World”. He suddenly realized, “When I played this melody, I could go high when I wished, and go low when I wished. Only when I played the zither by myself could I play it as I pleased. By comparison, when I play with Yingying, then I must play in accordance with the melody as it was written down in the score, rather than modifying it freely. When she goes high, I go high; when she goes low, I go low. That alone can be described as harmoniously matching. Buddhism stresses that to achieve nirvana, the first step is to become free of all wishes and desires, as only then can one be freed from all attachments and bonds. But in the human world, we must eat, wear clothes, and take into consideration the feelings of others. How can we truly be free of all wishes and desires? Nirvana is the state of emptiness and stillness, but as human beings, we still live in a world of action. In a world of action, as long as one doesn’t have any inappropriate desires, one won’t be subject to any inappropriate bonds. That is the meaning of being carefree.”
    I didn't pay a lot of attention towards it the first time I read this novel almost 9 years ago. However, I recently gave this blog post a read (http://blog.ylib.com/butterfly/Archi...10/06/22/10533). It includes and discusses lots of changes between different editions of the novel.

Particularly, the author also makes two interesting paragraphs regarding his/her thoughts on the 3rd edition ending above:

新三版增寫的這段令狐冲心思,非常清楚地說明了,令狐冲對於婚姻,其心得就在一個「忍」字,也就是說,美滿 的婚姻出自於盈盈必須「忍耐」他的浪蕩,他亦必須「忍耐」盈盈的約束。新三版增說的這段令狐冲心語,便是他 在找理由將「忍耐」合理化。

然而,「忍耐」並不是健康的夫妻相處之道。就怕令狐冲與盈盈這對夫妻長年累月忍下去,變成另一對公孫止與裘 千尺,到時候,雲英未嫁的儀琳再捲土重來扮演「柔兒」,挑動令狐冲的心,若令狐冲心旌搖動,盈盈內在潛藏的 「女魔頭」性格勢必將會發作,江湖中便會出現「裘千尺第二」了。
    which Google Translated as:

This paragraph of Linghu Chong’s thoughts added in the new third edition clearly shows that Linghu Chong’s experience with marriage lies in the word “tolerance”, that is to say, a happy marriage comes from the fact that Yingying must “tolerate” his disturbances. It is also necessary to "tolerate" the constraints of Yingying. This paragraph of Linghu's heartfelt words added in the new third edition is that he is looking for reasons to rationalize "tolerance."

However, "tolerance" is not the way for healthy couples to get along. I was afraid that the couple Linghuchong and Yingying would endure for many years and become another pair of Gongsunzhi and Qiu Qianchi. At that time, Yunying's unmarried Yilin will come back to play "Rouer" and stir Linghuchong's heart, if Linghu's heart is jingled Shaking, Yingying's hidden "female devil" character is bound to occur, and "Qiu Qianchi second" will appear in the arena.
    What's your opinion? Do you think the somewhat reduced degree of "freedom" for LHC in his marriage with RYY brings unhappiness in the long term?
    Last edited by IcySnow; 12-06-20 at 02:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by IcySnow View Post
    This extra paragraph is added at the end of the 3rd edition of The Smiling, Proud Wanderer:

I didn't pay a lot of attention towards it the first time I read this novel almost 9 years ago. However, I recently gave this blog post a read (http://blog.ylib.com/butterfly/Archi...10/06/22/10533). It includes and discusses lots of changes between different editions of the novel.

Particularly, the author also makes two interesting paragraphs regarding his/her thoughts on the 3rd edition ending above:

What's your opinion? Do you think the somewhat reduced degree of "freedom" for LHC in his marriage with RYY brings unhappiness in the long term?
    Ask any married man and you'll find marriage is like being in jail. 😁

thanksfully his wife is ren yingying who understand husband's character, if it is Xiao Long Nu, then that is hell life

Quote Originally Posted by IcySnow View Post

I just read the whole thing as JY, getting on in years, realising that one needs to 'let go'. I thought this would be more suitable inserted in DGSD with its more overt Buddhist overtones though. I think what JY intended was not to hint that LHC becomes unhappy but that after the young years of yearning for a carefree drunk and leisure lifestyle, he got wiser after marriage and realised real carefreeness is letting go of attachments.

As I said, I think this would be more suitable for DGSD. Maybe have Xuzhu ponder over if he was happier as a little monk in Shaolin vs Big Kahuna with Hot Wife lifestyle.

And Duanyu pondering as Emperor, how the rush of seeing Wang Yuyan when he was a scrub compared to being an Emperor with everything and multiple consorts. Wasnt the 1st chapter called 'Adventures of Youth'? This should be a fitting last paragraph.
    Last edited by CC; 12-08-20 at 01:20 AM.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Stance View Post
    Ask any married man and you'll find marriage is like being in jail. 😁
    Those men live in modern world. They are not from wuxia which is from ancient China. Marriage was so much better in ancient China than in modern world.

Quote Originally Posted by a_tumiwa View Post
    thanksfully his wife is ren yingying who understand husband's character, if it is Xiao Long Nu, then that is hell life
    Xiao Long Nu is so much better than Ren Yingying. If his wife is XLN, his life would be much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post

Xiao Long Nu is so much better than Ren Yingying. If his wife is XLN, his life would be much better.

i dont think so, its not about which woman is more perfect, but the character of the person, XLN is a type who dont understand husband, that's why she left Yang Guo , not only once, but 4x