Thread: HSDS ending got progressively worse with each revision

Default HSDS ending got progressively worse with each revision

I just revisited Heavenly Sword and Dragon Saber, and found the 3rd edition ending particularly annoying. I'm not sure if I remember the different endings correctly, but they are roughly:

• 1st edition: Zhou Zhirou (ZZR) becomes a nun. Zhang Wuji (ZWJ) and Zhao Min (ZM) live happily with each other. Not sure if it's mentioned what ZZR decides to do with the wish ZWJ promises her. A typical good ending. Nothing much to discuss.
    • 2nd edition: Instead of the above, now ZZR decides to stalk ZWJ and ZM. She waits until after ZM has stated the 3rd wish ZM wants ZWJ to do, before showing up and hinting she may appear and mess up the wedding of ZWJ & ZM. This ending is a bit annoying because it is more unrealistic. What if ZM herself also waits and delay the 3rd wish until ZZR has shown her hands? Will ZZR go around and stalk the pair forever? Still, I didn't mind this ending too much, because while it made ZZR look worse, her action here is not completely uncharacteristic.
    • 3rd edition: Now following what happened in the 2nd edition ending, after ZZR has left, ZWJ is left standing questioning whom he really loves the most. I find this ending especially annoying for two main reasons: (1) same as stalking reason mentioned above for the 2nd edition ending; and (2) it renders the scene where ZZR, while holding ZM captive, asks ZWJ whom his true love is useless. Why bother making a big show and having ZWJ declare ZM as his true love, only to screw it up once more at the end?

I feel like with each revision, JY wanted to force some kind of narrative (e.g. ZWJ actually loves all 4, or none at all), but he couldn't make it explicit. In the end we ended up with a strange piece of ending that is incoherent with the parts that came before.

I hope ZWJ loves ZZR the most and chooses to be with her. If he loves ZM the most and chooses to be with her, his life would be in danger. ZM will eventually betray him for Zhu Shuang, the second son of Zhu Yuanzhang. ZWJ could end up dead. It could be that ZWJ ended up dead soon after HSDS. No one ever learn 9yang after ZWJ.

True that, hopefully, future revisions will be more sensible than the previous ones.

Quote Originally Posted by kmoley View Post
    True that, hopefully, future revisions will be more sensible than the previous ones.
    Jin Yong being dead precludes future revisions.

at least the part of edition 1 which Zhang Wuji become the leader of Emei , was omitted, and i dont like that part so i am happy

Senior Member Mandred Skavenslayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    I hope ZWJ loves ZZR the most and chooses to be with her. If he loves ZM the most and chooses to be with her, his life would be in danger. ZM will eventually betray him for Zhu Shuang, the second son of Zhu Yuanzhang. ZWJ could end up dead. It could be that ZWJ ended up dead soon after HSDS. No one ever learn 9yang after ZWJ.
    I have killed this argument once already, do you really want to start it again?