Thread: Sai Mun Chui Sheut and Sheun Sau Ching

Default Sai Mun Chui Sheut and Sheun Sau Ching

One of the overlooked (or at least underdiscussed) "power couples" of wuxia fiction is Sai Mun Chui Sheut and Sheun Sau Ching from Gu Long's LUK SIU FUNG stories. Though well represented and fairly popular across different wuxia media, the husband and wife duo of SMCS and SSC get very little discussion among wuxia fans compared to Jin Yong's power couples such as Gwok Jing and Wong Yung, Yeung Gor and Little Dragon Girl, Cheung Mo Gei and Chiu Mun, Ling Wu Chung and Yam Ying Ying, etc.

One thing I found telling in the early encounters between SMCS and SSC, the woman who would (improbably) become his wife. When they first met, SMCS was the cold, immoveable "Sword God" of the wulin of his time. As he said when Yim Teet San's hired thugs drew their weapons upon him at the Pearls and Jewels Pavilion, "When my sword leaves its sheath, then people must die by my sword. Do not force me to draw my sword." SMCS meant it. At that point of his life and wulin career, nobody who had drawn a weapon against him had ever lived to tell about it.

However, when the Ngor Mei Four Beauties, and particularly SSC, drew their weapons against him after he informed them that he had just killed their teacher, Ngor Mei Sect Leader Dook Goo 1 Hok, SMCS disarmed SSC and warned the other three off without harming them. This was the first time that SMCS ever showed mercy towards an opponent. At this point, he was indifferent to SSC (even though she had already developed a serious crush on him), and would not reciprocate her feelings for him until after he had saved her life from Seung Gwoon Fei Yin's poisonous needles. Given that SMCS was still in his pure Sword God state of mind at that moment, what could have motivated him to spare SSC and the Four Beauties the wrath of his sword, and why did he choose to go out of his way to save SSC's life?

Sai Mun Chui Sheut's state of mind and motives are frequently a fascinating mystery.

At this precise moment, a long "bang" could be heard as XiMen ChuiXue suddenly reached out and flicked Sun XiuQing's wrist, hitting the sword in her left hand into the one in her right hand.

When the two swords met, she felt her wrist temporarily go numb, before she knew it, the two swords were suddenly in XiMen ChuiXue's hands.

"Stand back, or else I will unsheath my sword!" XiMen ChuiXue coldly ordered.

His voice was cold, but his eyes were not, that was why Sun XiuQing was still alive.

He was still human, still a man, how could he bring himself to kill a beautiful girl with feelings towards himself.
    He did not draw his sword, and the other three didn’t attack him although they drew their swords. Reason he spared her was explained.
    Last edited by Ren Wo Xing; 12-10-20 at 07:41 PM.
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

Basically, pretty young chicks get preferential treatment. Very realistic and conforms to the real world.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    Basically, pretty young chicks get preferential treatment. Very realistic and conforms to the real world.
    With ordinary people, that's true, but SMCS was quite a weirdo and wasn't in the habit of making exceptions.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    With ordinary people, that's true, but SMCS was quite a weirdo and wasn't in the habit of making exceptions.
    In Gu Long's exact words, "He was still human, still a man."
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    In Gu Long's exact words, "He was still human, still a man."
    Lol, his short sword rules supreme over his long sword.